JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wishlist for JW Library

6 hours ago, gusdn1 said:

The reason is "Initialization." I am going to explain it simply but a bit detailed. 😁 (If that even makes sense)

Most of our publications contain media (audio and/or video); however, unlike Watchtower Library, the media is not included when you download the publication in JW Library. Because of this, we had to design the publication to always scan the publication media and check with the server whenever the user opens the publication. Hence, you will not see the "Download Media" button right away.

There are several factors why the "Download Media" button doesn't show up within less than 2 seconds (average). It may be due to a combination of:

• Internet connectivity,
  • Currently downloaded media,
  • Publication's file size,
  • Number of media files the publication has, and/or
  • Device's performance speed

Remember, it scans the media of the entire publication and checks if there are updates by checking with the server, and then loads all the media and perhaps displays that there is an update. If there is no internet connection, it will still need to scan the publication, but because there is no internet, it will skip checking the server and proceed to load the media.

You can compare the speed at which the "Download Media" button shows up by opening the Enjoy Life Forever—Brochure (lffi) and Enjoy Life Forever—Book (lff).

And unfortunately, this is not a bug. It is indeed designed this way. The "Download Media" button is controlled by different conditions unlike the rest of the buttons. So, it won't show up right away. However, refinements can be made in the future.

The only exception to this is the "Sing Out Joyfully" songbook. It was at first designed just like the other publications, but it was eventually removed, which is a bummer because now we have to download the media manually one by one instead of just one button and everything is downloaded.

I understand the frustration when the "Download Media" button does not show up. You are not alone; several brothers and sisters have come up to me asking the same thing.

I hope this now clarifies for everyone how the "Download Media" button works.

Oh, this one makes sense...

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

Sooooo, what do you guys think about redesigning the Home tab to include features like the featured articles from our website and a section for news reports?

Edited by gusdn1

Fixed the context to avoid misinterpretation.

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sooo, you know that for a fact?

No no, I was asking about what you guys think of having a redesigned Home tab that includes featured articles similar to the website as well as News reports.

Edited by gusdn1

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

Sooooo, what do you guys think about redesigning the Home tab to include features like the featured articles from our website and a section for news reports?

Funny, I was thinking about it the other day

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

12 hours ago, gusdn1 said:

When we had the announcment all those years ago about JW.org, WTL, JWL, and WOL all merging, this is what I imagined: JWL becomes JW.org and is as versatile as WTL. JW.org becomes identical to JWL. 

A few search features which would be very helpful:

- ability to limit search to Bible footnotes.

- limit search to specific Bible books: or at least a count of search results per Bible book. (and again, combined with the ability to filter by footnotes or main text) 

This is very useful for doing word studies. 

53 minutes ago, Tony said:

The global search for JW Library is long overdue. It doesn’t seem to be a priority, though. 

I, too, would like to see such a feature.

But working with data all day everyday, I know such a search would be very slow, unless we started deleting old magazines after we're done considering them at the Hall.  Otherwise for some of us, we have waaaay too much data to sift through in a reasonable timeframe.

Would still be cool to have the option with a warning that it may take a while...  And for those of us with a cheap or old phone.....quite a while!!

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, chuck83 said:

I would like an artwork section. That way we're not trying to remember which publication artwork is in. Maybe have a nice searchable database with it.

or, if you may not do this before, you can create a playlists of pictures you think might be useful in the future or you might use as a reference... 

you can create a playlist like this, and name it like this:

- to use in public talk

- paradise pictures

- last days pictures

- great tribulation and Armageddon pictures

2 hours ago, jrnievas said:

or, if you may not do this before, you can create a playlists of pictures you think might be useful in the future or you might use as a reference... 

- to use in public talk

- paradise pictures

- last days pictures

I already use the playlist feature for that. Thank you! ☺️

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 2:52 PM, jrnievas said:

- to use in public talk

- paradise pictures

- last days pictures

I started doing that and the size of my backup files went right up. (From about 1MB in April, to last month 19MB.)

Is it really making copies of pictures when they are added to playlists?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 hour ago, ChrisC said:

I started doing that and the size of my backup files went right up. (From about 1MB in April, to last month 19MB.)

Is it really making copies of pictures when they are added to playlists?

(Perhaps it is just the thumbnails that are backed up, in case the publication itself isn’t available. That would make more sense.)

—-

Wishlist:

Probably already mentioned, the ability to link to scriptures/publications within notes.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Wishlist:

. In the Bible tab, type the text in the search field and go directly to the verse or chapter.

. Legacy publications with all the pictures, (Daniel's Prophecies, Revelation, Live Forever, How Did Life...?). I wouldn't mind an oversized catalog.

. A Printed Edition view for the magazines, brochures, some books, etc. At this time I think only the llf book and brochure have this feature.

Wishlist:
. In the Bible tab, type the text in the search field and go directly to the verse or chapter.
. Legacy publications with all the pictures, (Daniel's Prophecies, Revelation, Live Forever, How Did Life...?). I wouldn't mind an oversized catalog.
. A Printed Edition view for the magazines, brochures, some books, etc. At this time I think only the llf book and brochure have this feature.

The pictures idea is great in my opinion but I’m afraid I’m some of the publications some photos are not copyrighted for internet usage

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

I understand the privacy concerns and the amount of data processing required to use the sync feature.

I hope they will create an alternative feature, such as an auto-backup feature. This feature would automatically create a backup and save it locally. Additionally, they could allow users with cloud drives, like iCloud, to direct the app to retrieve or save the backup in a specific location. Then, on another device, the user could point the app to that same location, ensuring both devices use the same backup.

However, further improvements can still be made.

Edited by gusdn1

3 hours ago, gusdn1 said:

This feature would automatically create a backup and save it locally. Additionally, they could allow users with cloud drives, like iCloud, to direct the app to retrieve or save the backup in a specific location. Then, on another device, the user could point the app to that same location, ensuring both devices use the same backup.

This would only work if the same publications were downloaded on each device. 

For me, the best option is such a smart sync. I don't know how it would work technically but for users it would update everything by itself at the push of a button :)