JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wishlist for JW Library

As for another improvement that those in av department can use, the ability to use and custom image or video in jwl would be nice, for public talk or local needs or other programs.

I get it, the purpose is that, they probably don't want people to load weird files on jwl. But seriously, how many are going to do that for that to be a serious problem?

It would be such a good feature that's been disabled, and been making a lot of av brothers work a lot troublesome for many years. So yes, as audio video servant, I want this feature too.

And on that note, ability to add any images or videos to the meetings tab would be nice too.

I have connected two monitors to my computer.  The two monitors are setup with different display resolutions. One can do 2560 x 1440 the other can only do a max resolution of 1920 x 1080.   When I move the JW Library window from one monitor to another,  the areas for scrolling vertically and horizontally in Library get all distorted and do not work right.  I have to close then reopen Library in the monitor I want to work in to fix.

Another problem,  I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Go 3 tablet.  With this tablet I use stylus pen that is designed for the Surface tablet.  While using the stylus pen, and scrolling in the main area of any publication,  Library highlights the text instead of just scrolling.  When I use my finger Library scrolls properly.  I have not found a way to allow the pen to scroll normally without highlighting text.

8 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Another problem,  I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Go 3 tablet.  With this tablet I use stylus pen that is designed for the Surface tablet.  While using the stylus pen, and scrolling in the main area of any publication,  Library highlights the text instead of just scrolling.  When I use my finger Library scrolls properly.  I have not found a way to allow the pen to scroll normally without highlighting text.

When you hover your pen between the text and study pane a scroll bar will show (otherwise it will show to the right if no study pane)

43 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

This is not a problem with JWL but how windoze works.  JWL has not re-invented the wheel.  It uses a standard scrollable window provided by the OS.

If you're bringing your hand up to use the pen on the screen, you could instead put your middle finger out and scroll that way. 

3 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Ah yes that behaviour sounds very familiar with the iPad as well. I wish there was a setting that would allow you to scroll with the stylus. And (for example) tap + hold to start highlighting (same behaviour as when using your finger).

1 hour ago, GWings said:

Ah yes that behaviour sounds very familiar with the iPad as well. I wish there was a setting that would allow you to scroll with the stylus. And (for example) tap + hold to start highlighting (same behaviour as when using your finger).

Yes a setting to allow you to scroll with the stylus would be nice 👍

Another item,  add an Edit / Delete option also to the bottom of your notes.  Currently if you have created a long note and you need to edit,  you have to scroll a ways up to be able to select the Edit / Delete option of the note.

Edited by luisenriquereyes

26 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

add an Edit / Delete option also to the bottom of your notes

Or ... ad and "Edit" option to the click/right click (whichever works best) - or to the options available when you highlight the text you want to edit.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 1 month later...

I love JW Library app but would be so amazing to could see a couple of improvements.

• The most important feature for me is to be able to sign in to my account so I can keep everything synced with my phone, tablet, and laptop.
  • The second important feature would be watched/unseen feature.
  • Complex search function.
  • Make the app available not only for M1 but the older machines too.

However, we can be sure that the brothers put huge efforts into developing this app, so everything will probably come in its own time. Jehovah knows exactly what we need and when we need it :) 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, GWings said:

I really wish there was a roadmap available for the JW Library app, because I'm sure it exists somewhere in Warwick 😉 Back in the days, there was a 'Coming soon' section on https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/, but unfortunately that has also disappeared. The app is great, but I'm sure we all have some ideas.

My wishlist would be:

1) Synchronisation of notes/highlights and manually installed jwpub-files between devices (without having to manually export/import backups of course). Maybe the introduction of JW Cloud 😍, where if you login with your own account, all of your notes and manual publications would be downloaded to your device again.

2) Push notifications for news items, new publications, breaking news etc (adjustable to your own preferences)

3) A re-design of the home screen. I don't like the horizontal scrolling. It feels very cluttered to me. 

Which leaves me wondering: what features would be on your wishlist for JW Library? Don't think in terms of 'whats possible' or 'costs'. Just out of the box ideas...

yes point one i would like to see also. 

Lots of great ideas here. I'll repeat at least 2 suggestions I've seen in this thread:

1) Notes formatted in bold italics.

2) JW Cloud or something like that. I think that MY JW is a feature that is being implemented little by little and that can be used for the JWL soon (at least what I think).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, howudodat said:

This is not a problem with JWL but how windoze works.  JWL has not re-invented the wheel.  It uses a standard scrollable window provided by the OS.

I'm not so sure it's a windows problem as it is reported to happen o ipad and mac as well. On the other hand the scrolling works perfectly on other apps like for example on word or edge

On 8/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, MarcelLew said:

I love JW Library app but would be so amazing to could see a couple of improvements.

• The most important feature for me is to be able to sign in to my account so I can keep everything synced with my phone, tablet, and laptop.

Fortunately there is a workaround for that - Use JWLMerge

On 8/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, MarcelLew said:

However, we can be sure that the brothers put huge efforts into developing this app, so everything will probably come in its own time. Jehovah knows exactly what we need and when we need it :) 

That's an important point as the brothers said it clearly on a video about JWL app. Their focusing the resources on perfecting what is already in place and adding new features aparingly... They can't allocate resources to improve everything unfortunately

On 7/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, GWings said:

I really wish there was a roadmap available for the JW Library app, because I'm sure it exists somewhere in Warwick 😉 Back in the days, there was a 'Coming soon' section on https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/, but unfortunately that has also disappeared. The app is great, but I'm sure we all have some ideas.

That's true. One of the "coming soon" features since day one was the ability to highlight in the rigth pane... And we hope for it till this day. Probably they found diffilcuties and thought not to have a "coming soon" feature so as not to keep us anxious for something that may never come

On 7/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, GWings said:

My wishlist would be:

2) Push notifications for news items, new publications, breaking news etc (adjustable to your own preferences)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are already notifications for new items and breaking news...

On 7/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, Hinata said:

I'm a simple man, and I ask one thing, and one thing only:

Make it open source.

That would open a nasty can of worms... I'm thinking for example on apostates twiking the app with their malicious things without anyone noticing

On 7/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, Hope said:

I'd like to be able to create my own Toolbox.

Can't you do that with the favorits area?

On 7/2/2022 at 5:30 AM, ship said:

2) Batch download of publications, videos and audio.

You have to keep the app open but you can already do that. Just keep pressing the cloud item on everything you want to download and it downloads everything in a row while you're doing other things on the app

On 7/2/2022 at 12:49 PM, trottigy said:

Also, I'd love to have a JWLibrary widget. Let me set it to the daytext as an example.

That exists already in windows but would be nice to have on android and ipad also

On 7/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, Hinata said:

If anyone want to try making one, I guess using an epub file would be my first bet. It’s completely open unlike jwpub, which means you have complete access and freedom to work around with the file. You just need to make the app find right file — the file names are in form of 110<YEAR><MONTH-1>-split<DATE>.html — making it connect all the pieces and combining all together, not sure though.

There are plenty of apps already made that do exactly that. But I'd like to rely on the offical app

----------------------------------------------------------

Besides all the good ideas that were put here I add my own whish list without repeating what was already said:

1. Ability to return to the same place on a video when I close the app and open again (it starts allways on the beginng and its cumbersome to return to the same place I was

2. Ability to keep listning to the audio (pure audio or video) when I turn off my phone (like other apps do, for ex. vlc or or several music apps)

3. Ability to have the downloads continue in the background when I close the app (appearing on the notifications pane like other regular downloads)

4. Ability to add my own list of images to share on the meeting (JWL sign language already has this)

5. To be able to have two instances of the app open at the same time (On Android we can already do this on some phones or wth 3rd party apps)

6. This is one of the most wanted for me: To have a floating bible button to be able to open a pop up of the bible anywhere on the app

7. Ability to copy a verse and past it with an embeded link on the study pane. We would be able to click on that link and open the verse, just like it already happens with pre      existent links. We can do that already by sharing to other apps or to the clipboard and then past it on word or one note or other apps

8. Ability to export from word, html, epub, etc to JWPUB. That way we could have our own files open on the app with formating and links, etc...

9. Ability to open 2 verses at the sime time on the study pane (like it happens when clicking on a related verses letter)when they appear like "Read 1Ti 2:1,8" for example

(At this moment the one reading the watchtower for example has to click on one and then the other)

10. An alternative to other suggestions above, ability to open a pub on a 2nd window, or have it pinned down on the bottom like the notes or audios/videos. This could be down also for the bilbe and it would be available everywhere with rapid switching between it and the pub

11. We already can write a note without being attached to anything. It opens a big windows for us to write. This new window could be a full featured wordpad, like with text color, size, bold, italic etc... in alternative to doing that in the study pane and make it easier to add this feature

12. Another alternative would be to have an edit button to creat the outside JWL - This could open a 3rd party app (defined in the settings) where we could create a note with all the funtions of the said 3rd party app (like word for ex.) When closing the doc it would insert the formated note on the side pane (we know the side pane supports formatted text has we see it when opening pubs there)

And that's what I have on the top of my head :)

Who is assigned to send these suggestions to the software team?

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Besides all the good ideas that were put here I add my own wish list without repeating what was already said:

1. Ability to return to the same place on a video when I close the app and open again (it starts always on the beginning and its cumbersome to return to the same place I was

2. Ability to keep listning to the audio (pure audio or video) when I turn off my phone (like other apps do, for ex. vlc or or several music apps)

3. Ability to have the downloads continue in the background when I close the app (appearing on the notifications pane like other regular downloads)

4. Ability to add my own list of images to share on the meeting (JWL sign language already has this)

5. To be able to have two instances of the app open at the same time (On Android we can already do this on some phones or with 3rd party apps)

6. This is one of the most wanted for me: To have a floating bible button to be able to open a pop up of the bible anywhere on the app

7. Ability to copy a verse and past it with an embedded link on the study pane. We would be able to click on that link and open the verse, just like it already happens with pre      existent links. We can do that already by sharing to other apps or to the clipboard and then past it on word or one note or other apps

8. Ability to export from word, html, epub, etc to JWPUB. That way we could have our own files open on the app with formatting and links, etc...

9. Ability to open 2 verses at the same time on the study pane (like it happens when clicking on a related verses letter)when they appear like "Read 1Ti 2:1,8" for example

(At this moment the one reading the watchtower for example has to click on one and then the other)

10. An alternative to other suggestions above, ability to open a pub on a 2nd window, or have it pinned down on the bottom like the notes or audios/videos. This could be down also for the bilbe and it would be available everywhere with rapid switching between it and the pub

11. We already can write a note without being attached to anything. It opens a big windows for us to write. This new window could be a full featured wordpad, like with text color, size, bold, italic etc... in alternative to doing that in the study pane and make it easier to add this feature

12. Another alternative would be to have an edit button to creat the outside JWL - This could open a 3rd party app (defined in the settings) where we could create a note with all the functions of the said 3rd party app (like word for ex.) When closing the doc it would insert the formatted note on the side pane (we know the side pane supports formatted text has we see it when opening pubs there)

Like most every one of those, but wish to add, Ability to have notes on videos.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, Hinata said:

As for another improvement that those in av department can use, the ability to use and custom image or video in jwl would be nice, for public talk or local needs or other programs.

I get it, the purpose is that, they probably don't want people to load weird files on jwl. But seriously, how many are going to do that for that to be a serious problem?

It would be such a good feature that's been disabled, and been making a lot of av brothers work a lot troublesome for many years. So yes, as audio video servant, I want this feature too.

There are specific direction for the AV brothers to use other software, and they suggest VLC media player. So, though the feature is not built in, they have provided direction on what to do. They even have provided step by step directions on how to do it properly. 

The feature in JWLibrary was not Disabled, it was never designed into it. 

Custom video is never allowed at a meeting. Video during the meeting is always at the direction of the branch. (Key words: "at a meeting" ) Even at a meeting for Field Service the brothers are permitted to use video from JWLibrary or JW.org ONLY if it has been previously shown at a meeting. Never DURING a wedding talk. But before or after OK

When we follow directions we can be 'content' with what is provided. 

YB

Dave

3 hours ago, dljbsp said:

Like most every one of those, but wish to add, Ability to have notes on videos.

I have been making notes for the videos in the Enjoy Life book by highlighting an associated question or description, making note of points brought out and putting them in the study notes. Great memory aid!

• 4 weeks later...

Having an option to have colors in notes is good. I mean, whenever your in an article and you jot down in a note by selecting a specific text and color, you assume to have a note colored on that specific color, but whenever I tried to delete the highlight, the color on the note is gone. I am hoping that in future updates JWL have an option to select a color when taking down notes, especially when taking notes on a Bible. 

Adding a Color option on this More option is quite good for customization. (See picture)

Screenshot_20220912-121039.thumb.png.71e85b5c3a59dde3f83de6384141ff30.png

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

55 minutes ago, Tronora said:

I hope JWL turns multi-tab, browser-like

Alternatively, Sister @Tronora you can do, I would say, mini-multi-tab. 😁 Take a look on the tabs on the JWL. There are 5 of them (Home, Bible, Library, Meetings, and Personal Study).

Tabs in JW Library

You can actually multi-task by the given tabs.

Example:

(1) You are reading a Bible in the Bible-tab and then you want to open another Bible, but you don't want to close the current page. What should you do?

You can open another Bible from the other tab. In other tabs excluding the Bible-tab, find a scripture and tap it and then open the Bible, you're in a Bible now, try to search a word and tap the nearest book you can see then manage to swipe left or right to go to that chapter. If you are there, now you have it! (Though it takes time, but you have it now!) You just tap the desired tabs to see the other opened Bible you've previously read. 

(Or, you can bookmark the current book you have read in the Bible-tab, and try to open it in the other tab by searching a scripture on that tab and go to the Bible and tap the bookmarked in the bookmark section.)

There are various ways to do it, just try to find a way. :backflip:

(2) If you are reading a book from Library-tab and want to open another book, but don't want to close the current book.

You can open a book from Home-tab by adding them in favorites first and tap it; from Personal Study-tab by taking notes on it first, and when you're in that tab, tap the notes, that you've just made, and tap the book below the notes; and, however in Meetings-tab, the books you want may takes time to open it—though it is possible.

Above all, you have a “mini-multi-tab”, but, yes, the tab you have in your mind, Sister @Tronora, is quite a good feature too. It doesn't consume much time and it is better. 😅

Edited by Hava Saber

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

I would like to download just the audio files for the morning worship talks, the older broadcasts and annual meetings and Gilead talks. 

I like to listen to the talks whilst mowing the lawn or working in the shed or yard, but I have to have the screen on in order to play the video otherwise the audio just cuts out when the screen is turned off. But it doesn't do it when I just play the current audio files.

I’d like to be able to edit a note to another highlight color. If you don’t change highlight color first, the note is just gray. 😕

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

50 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Most phones have a thing called second space or similar where you install the app again and then you can open the same app as if it were 2 different apps

Samsing has it and xiaomi has it also

If yours don't try this app Parallel Space - Multiple acco - Apps on Google Play

Aaaah .. Via 2nd space .. 

Okay, thank you 😃