JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is Serena Williams a Jehovah Witness?

Just curious to know if someone knows if eventually she got baptized and is now a JW

Today I noticed an article in the Portuguese press with this title, where she is identified as such

The Jehovah's Witness Whose Stepsister Was Murdered And Who Set Tennis Records - Serena Williams: Fast Facts

No, she's not.

Serena and her sister Venus were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses by their mother. They were unbaptized publishers and used to attend meetings and go in service, but they never got baptized. Then they both followed a career in sports that gradually moved them away from the congregation.

Serena was quoted recently by a magazine as saying “Being a Jehovah’s Witness is important to me, but I’ve never really practiced it and have been wanting to get into it." It seems she still practices some of the things she was taught, like not celebrating birthdays or Christmas, or saying a prayer before meals, but others evidently not. Let's hope she does as she says and "gets back into it". :)

What Brother Carlos said seems to fit right with her Wikipedia article which states, “Williams was raised a Jehovah’s Witness, but states she has ’never really practiced it.’ She often thanks Jehovah after winning matches. Williams confirmed that she follows some practices: ‘Olympia doesn’t celebrate birthdays. We’re Jehovah’s Witnesses, so we don’t do that.’”

I found it interesting that in one of her Instagram posts, she posted saying “But now, the countdown has begun. I have to focus on being a mom, my spiritual goals and …”

Another newspaper says this without making any reference to JW's

Serena Williams announced yesterday that she will quit her career after playing one last time at the US Open, starting the end of August

There is still no exact date for the exit, but “the countdown has already started”, advanced the tennis player in an Instagram post.
“I have to focus on being mother, in my spiritual goals and to finally discover a different Serena . I will enjoy these next few weeks.”

Isn't there any news on the US regarding Serena stoppying her career?

4 hours ago, carlos said:

No, she's not.

Serena and her sister Venus were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses by their mother. They were unbaptized publishers and used to attend meetings and go in service, but they never got baptized. Then they both followed a career in sports that gradually moved them away from the congregation.

Serena was quoted recently by a magazine as saying “Being a Jehovah’s Witness is important to me, but I’ve never really practiced it and have been wanting to get into it." It seems she still practices some of the things she was taught, like not celebrating birthdays or Christmas, or saying a prayer before meals, but others evidently not. Let's hope she does as she says and "gets back into it". :)

Plus she has a child out of wedlock.

53 minutes ago, Mzbarb said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought she married and then had a child. 

Probably you're right. In any case, the point is Serena's lifestyle in the last years has not been compatible with being one of JWs.

If now she is really thinking seriously of returning to Jehovah, I'm sure she will be received with open arms by everybody. :)

A US magazine gave this timeline concerning Serena’s marriage and having the baby:

Before they could exchange their vows, the couple hit another major milestone in their relationship: their first child. The athlete accidentally revealed her pregnancy via Snapchat in April 2017 and five months later, gave birth to daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr.

November 2017

Two months after welcoming their baby girl, the pair tied the knot in New Orleans in front of family and famous friends, including Beyoncé and Jay Z.

So like Carlos mentioned, in recent years Serena does not appear to have been living a life as 1 of Jehovah’s people. But in fairness, she was never baptized. So we can view her in a positive way, someone who was raised in the Truth by her mother, even though her unbelieving dad had Serena and her sister focusing/training on tennis full-time since little girls. So with a divided home and their father making sure they had their full attention on becoming great tennis players, both Serena and Venus didn’t have much of a chance spiritually. Yet both Serena and Venus have been very favorable about Jehovah’s Witnesses in the media, they have never said anything negative as far as I have ever heard and have sometimes identified themselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses! In fact when someone in the media asked Serena about her daughter’s birthday, Serena replied something like this, “My daughter does not celebrate her birthday, we are Jehovah’s Witnesses”.  And years ago, there were reports by brothers/sisters saying they saw firsthand the mother and Venus (and maybe Serena also I dont remember) at some conventions in Florida. 

As far as Serena’s tennis career, my understanding from following tennis over the years is that Serena’s body as been wore down by the many years, decades of tennis and multiple injuries.  PLUS she had serious complications with the birth of her child almost dying! So while her body cannot take much more, she stated recently to the media that she also is desiring to have another child. So for all the above reasons, this will likely be her last US Open here in August and she will retire soon. She may eventually be viewed as not only 1 of the greatest, if not the greatest female tennis player in history, but also she may be viewed as 1 of the greatest athletes in history! But more importantly, we hope that her and her sister may now have further opportunities to move forward with any spiritual desires they have had. And maybe even having children will further help with Serena’s spiritual goals, wanting to see her children raised in the best way possible 😊 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

The only problem I see with this is she identifying as a witness when she is not. For wordly people, even some newspapers she is a JW. If people associate her conduct with being a JW, a bad witness is being given...

I put this question because I didn't know if meanwhile she got baptized...

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

If people associate her conduct with being a JW, a bad witness is being given.

The world sees her as getting married, starting a family, retiring from sports, and focusing on being a mom and growing spiritually. Nobody is gonna dog her for that.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I really don’t pay attention to the specifics, until something real happens. 
In the meantime, I just say, “Anyone can call themselves a Jehovah’s Witness.”  And drop it. No big deal. 
My dear husband has gotten me to that point.  No fuss, no muss, just to the point.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Hope said:

Fairly legit info that she was baptized today at an assembly in West Palm Beach, Florida... so, well done to her! 

FB_IMG_1673124573963.jpg

Awesome! Good for her! :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

That is AMAZING! Good for her! I think she was brave to use her platform to be so open about her love for Jehovah, even if she made mistakes in the past. And who knows if that made someone out there curious or more receptive to the truth. Thanks for sharing! That also used to be the assembly hall I went to for many years, so seeing this photo made me unexpectedly emotional.

19 hours ago, Hope said:

I work at Nike WHQ and she was there in October, dedicating the new Serena Williams building on campus. In her interview she said she would be spending her retirement on spiritual things and Bible study. 

Fairly legit info that she was baptized today at an assembly in West Palm Beach, Florida... so, well done to her! 

FB_IMG_1673124573963.jpg

Hope are you in south Florida? 

and yes it is true I’m here today!!!!