JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food shortages in the US soon?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 552 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We need to keep our eyes on how this develops.  We could have some real problems here in the US.  Thought the toilet paper shortage was bad?  If this continues to worsen without resolution, we could see shortages 10x worse!

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Diesel-Crisis-Deepens-As-Inventories-Fall-To-Dangerous-Levels.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-19/a-25-day-diesel-supply-and-surging-demand-are-a-worry-for-biden?leadSource=uverify wall

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/business/railroad-proposal-rejection/index.html

Just saw this today ...

The American Farm Bureau said turkey prices could see record highs this holiday. The price for fresh, boneless, skinless turkey breast reached $6.40 in September, a record high. That is 112% higher than at the same time last year. Prices were $3.16 a pound in 2021.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We will just keep eating our beans and rice. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

23 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

We will just keep eating our beans and rice. 

Wrapped in a tortilla with shredded cheese and topped with guacamole...👍

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The news here in Ky was talking about ketchup/tomato product prices soaring due to the reduced tomato crops in california. O.O They also mentioned mustard, due to some of the ingredients.

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

So far there haven't been food shortages here in New Zealand. However food prices have gone up dramatically in the past 6 months.  

It reminds me of Revelation 6:5 

5 When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say: “Come!” And I saw, and look! a black horse, and the one seated on it had a pair of scales in his hand. 6  I heard what sounded like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures say: “A quart of wheat for a de·narʹi·us and three quarts of barley for a de·narʹi·us; and do not harm the olive oil and the wine.”

They had a bit on the news this morning that the devastation caused by hurricane Ian here in Florida has adversely affected the orange crop and may have a severe impact on the cost of orange juice this year.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Shortage is here in US, Massachusetts. Many items in the stores are out of stock, and they spread out the store brand accross the area reserved for brand name items. 

Often there it is just a few products deep. Does not run to the back of the shelf anymore.

I do my Mom's shopping each week for her, many of the items she orders are not available.

True, not all the shelves are empty, but it is a taste of what will come.

Here in my country, there is a devastating flood that is destroying homes and properties. It has spread to more than four states. Food supply is being impeded. Agriculture is being destroyed. I have no explanation for this as it has never happened like this before. 

Same here in Australia.  Four states on the East coast are seriously flooded, and the crops have been destroyed.  Government authorities are forecasting food shortages, and price hikes.  Some areas will be flooded for the 3rd time in 8 months - we're talking unprecedented flooding.

I doubt it will come to this...but if you wanna be extra prepared.....

This will give 1 person 36 days of food.  Even more if rationed conservatively.  And being "US Coast Guard certified"...that means you can put it in your attic where it gets hot and freezing cold and they'll be fine:

https://www.quakekare.com/emergency-food-rations-c-15_16/3600-calorie-emergency-food-bar-case-20?returnurl=%2femergency-food-rations-c-15_16%2f

That's a pretty amazing price considering how long it can feed someone.  I've tried these bars myself, and they taste pretty good.  I wouldn't want to eat them for a whole month...but if that's all you got, it's better than nothing.

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

I doubt it will come to this...but if you wanna be extra prepared.....

This will give 1 person 36 days of food.  Even more if rationed conservatively.  And being "US Coast Guard certified"...that means you can put it in your attic where it gets hot and freezing cold and they'll be fine:

https://www.quakekare.com/emergency-food-rations-c-15_16/3600-calorie-emergency-food-bar-case-20?returnurl=%2femergency-food-rations-c-15_16%2f

That's a pretty amazing price considering how long it can feed someone.  I've tried these bars myself, and they taste pretty good.  I wouldn't want to eat them for a whole month...but if that's all you got, it's better than nothing.

I bought the Mainstay bars in 2020, they have a 5 year shelf life. They taste good, light a sweet shortbread biscuit. I call them Manna. 😁. I have several packs in each emergency kit and in each vehicle go-bag. They are currently available on Amazon for $228, so the ones you show are a better price.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

Why do you think that’s an amazing price? $132 for 72 hours worth of food?

Just now, zoebarry said:

It's 72 hours for 1 bar, if you divide the bar into 3.  There are 20 bars in that package.  So 3 days x 20 = 60 days of food.  But if you go by the calories, then you have 36 days of food for 1 person.

3 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

It's 72 hours for 1 bar, if you divide the bar into 3.  There are 20 bars in that package.  So 3 days x 20 = 60 days of food.  But if you go by the calories, then you have 36 days of food for 1 person.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

28 minutes ago, zoebarry said:

Each sealed packet has 9 bars in it, each bar is a meal, so one packet will last for three days, 72 hours. You get 20 packets for $132.00.

Edited by Tortuga

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Each sealed packet has 9 bars in it, each bar is a meal, so one packet will last for three days, 72 hours. You get 20 packets for $132.00.

That's basically what I said, but you're calling the "ration" the "bar".  :raspberry:

From the site's description:

"Each food bar is scored into 9 individual rations and packaged in a re-sealable pouch."

28 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

That's basically what I said, but you're calling the "ration" the "bar".  :raspberry:

From the site's description:

"Each food bar is scored into 9 individual rations and packaged in a re-sealable pouch."

My bad. I have the Mainstay rations and they call the individual servings "bars" or "rations". 

Edited by Tortuga