JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 473 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Last Sunday we had about 100 at our meeting (around 70 in-person).  I took the opportunity to time the comments.  We had 40 comments of 30 seconds or less.  We had 3 comments of 30 to 39 seconds and we had two comments, one 42 and one 45 seconds (at least one of these was an experience).  

There were 18 paragraphs, 18 individual questions (no doubles) and two pictures to comment on.  Well done group.  I was very impressed.

Note: I did not count any "Review comments".

I'm going to try this today

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Last Sunday we had about 100 at our meeting (around 70 in-person).  I took the opportunity to time the comments.  We had 40 comments of 30 seconds or less.  We had 3 comments of 30 to 39 seconds and we had two comments, one 42 and one 45 seconds (at least one of these was an experience).  

There were 18 paragraphs, 18 individual questions (no doubles) and two pictures to comment on.  Well done group.  I was very impressed.

Note: I did not count any "Review comments".

That’s quite good.

But have a “long commenter” that goes well over a minute, and at times closer to 2. 🫢 And that’s each time a comment is made. 😬 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

7 hours ago, Woanders said:

Someone gets over-enthusiastic about a point and then feels the need to go into detail

When this happens to me, I digest the comment and prepare concise version for the meeting.

It's all about preparation at home. 

Any long comment can be compacted. :)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We have a couple of long answerers.  One of them is an elder who should know better.  The other one is an elderly sister who reads sections from old magazines or writes out her answers and then reads them word for word, which wouldn't be so bad if she didn't put her hand up multiple times a meeting and gets called on, every single time.  Every so often she gets counselled about it and we all know when because her answers become shorter and relatively concise for a while.  Then she gradually slips back into her old ways. 🤣

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

We have a couple of long answerers.  One of them is an elder who should know better.  The other one is an elderly sister who reads sections from old magazines or writes out her answers and then reads them word for word, which wouldn't be so bad if she didn't put her hand up multiple times a meeting and gets called on, every single time.  Every so often she gets counselled about it and we all know when because her answers become shorter and relatively concise for a while.  Then she gradually slips back into her old ways. 🤣

Wait, when did the sister in our congregation move to your congregation? 🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

When this happens to me, I digest the comment and prepare concise version for the meeting.

It's all about preparation at home. 

Any long comment can be compacted.

Agreed! I do that, too. Actually I often get counsel to cut it down from my family before the meeting when I rehearse it to them beforehand. lol

Edited by Woanders

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

I notice that the older, spiritually-mature ones in the congregation bring out the points briefly, sometimes very briefly, but still spiritually deep or an added gem. Even the stories related are less than 30 seconds. Great examples to imitate. 

- Read the Bible daily 

44 minutes ago, Woanders said:

I notice that the older, spiritually-mature ones in the congregation bring out the points briefly, sometimes very briefly, but still spiritually deep or an added gem. Even the stories related are less than 30 seconds. Great examples to imitate. 

And we tend to remember brief comments, or point better. 

Public talk lasts 30min, but how much material do we remember after week or two? 

But if there was a good, brief point in it that touched our hearts, we tend to remember this better. 

Thus, it's not about the length of the comment, but quality of it that counts. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

37 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

And we tend to remember brief comments, or point better. 

Public talk lasts 30min, but how much material do we remember after week or two? 

But if there was a good, brief point in it that touched our hearts, we tend to remember this better. 

Thus, it's not about the length of the comment, but quality of it that counts. 

And that’s the perfect comment. 😆😉

- Read the Bible daily 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:50 AM, Loopy said:

That’s quite good.

But have a “long commenter” that goes well over a minute, and at times closer to 2. 🫢 And that’s each time a comment is made. 😬 

That’s when you realize. You need to relax. The whole paragraph is covered. And then some.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

13 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

That’s when you realize. You need to relax. The whole paragraph is covered. And then some.

Actually no. 🤣😉 Yeah,  I can relax but it’s not fully covered yet. 🤔🤔🤔🫢🫢🫢🫢😉😉😉😉🥰🥰🥰🥰🤣🤣🤣🤣

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

The first WT after the release of the article our secondary WT conductor had clearly not read the article.  His custom is to make 1-3 comments per paragraph which is what he did.  Most answers are around a minute.  The following week our usual conductor had in my opinion read the article because he called on lots more brothers than is his custom.  In fact he even mentioned for 1 paragraph how we had set a record number for our congregation, in the how many answered per paragraph.   He also cut back on his comments which customarily are around 1 per paragraph.  

I usually time any Gems I prepare so they are not too long and really try to aim for the 30 secs, this means I only state the verse and do not read it.  For most Q & A parts I try not answer the initial question and like to generally use a scripture.  I also like to comment on the read scriptures.  From the time the 30-60 secs was brought in I have really tried to keep my answers as brief and concise as I can which isn’t easy I must say.   We had our end of service year pioneer meeting on Sunday and were given a copy of the S-196 (Using Enjoy Life in the Ministry) and point 8 “it is best to avoid talking too much”.  So in recent years it has become evident good teaching in whatever platform does not involve wordiness.  

54 minutes ago, MullumMiss said:

The following week our usual conductor had in my opinion read the article because he called on lots more brothers than is his custom.  In fact he even mentioned for 1 paragraph how we had set a record number for our congregation, in the how many answered per paragraph.   He also cut back on his comments which customarily are around 1 per paragraph.  

I usually time any Gems I prepare so they are not too long and really try to aim for the 30 secs, this means I only state the verse and do not read it.  For most Q & A parts I try not answer the initial question and like to generally use a scripture.  I also like to comment on the read scriptures.  From the time the 30-60 secs was brought in I have really tried to keep my answers as brief and concise as I can which isn’t easy I must say.   We had our end of service year pioneer meeting on Sunday and were given a copy of the S-196 (Using Enjoy Life in the Ministry) and point 8 “it is best to avoid talking too much”.  So in recent years it has become evident good teaching in whatever platform does not involve wordiness

Thank you very much Sister Linda. It seems that the main conductor or the backup understand or follow through with he current article. At least some are following through with the governing body's guidance.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible