JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

I’m confused as to how Dutchsinse adds earthquakes. In his 9/23/2017 YouTube video he adds two 5.0s to get a 5.2. Later he adds a 5.7 and a 5.1 to get a 5.8.

I know it’s a logarithmic scale. Shouldn’t the first one add to a 5.1?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

The part of it I understand is this:

It takes 10 1.0 s to make a 2.0

It takes 10 2.0 s to make a 3.0

It takes 10 3.0 s to make a 4.0

It takes 10 4.0 s to make a 5.0

It takes 10 5.0 s to make a 6.0

It takes 10 6.0 s to make a 7.0

It takes 10 7.0 s to make a 8.0

It takes 10 8.0 s to make a 9.0

Everything else is just a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

That’s about as far as I got!

I’m sure sister Pauline or somebody will be along soon to tell me what to type into the WolframAlpha app to add these things.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 hour ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

In his 9/23/2017 YouTube video he adds two 5.0s to get a 5.2.

Seems to me it should be a 5.1, too. Sometimes his math doesn't add up for me either, but the numbers he's working with are only approximate anyway, an average, which always seem to be lower than what he thinks they should be. Still, it shows there is nothing exact in this science, so you can't be too picayune with his forecasts. You just go with the flow.

It's still a way of tracking what we already know is happening: "Great earthquakes in one place after another".

What we are seeing is quite unprecedented as the earthquake are not just increasing in numbers, but in magnitude and in the destruction capabilities due to our cities being built in dangerous seismic zones. Scientists are at a loss to describe this increase - and those that say "we've always had earthquakes" can now be quiet.

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/25884-earthquakes-in-one-place-after-another/?do=findComment&comment=503163

On 25/09/2017 at 1:26 AM, ChrisTheConfused said:

That’s about as far as I got!

I’m sure sister Pauline or somebody will be along soon to tell me what to type into the WolframAlpha app to add these things.

A flash of inspiration came to me last night.

If magnitude 6 represents 10^6 units, magnitude 7 represents 10^7 units ...

then two magnitude 6s is simply the log of 2*(10^6) = 6.301

3 quakes gives 6.477

4 quakes gives 6.602

10 quakes of magnitude 6 gives magnitude 7, as expected.

But these numbers are not what Dutchsinse is giving so I’ve no idea what he is doing! (Or possibly what I’m doing.)

3 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

two magnitude 6s is simply the log of 2*(10^6) = 6.301

3 quakes gives 6.477

4 quakes gives 6.602

But these numbers are not what Dutchsinse is giving so I’ve no idea what heese is doing! 

These are some of the numbers provided by some 80 stations for the latest 6.4 EQ in the Fiji region https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000autd#origin:

Channel Type Amplitude Period Status Magnitude Weight
HV AIND HHZ -- mb 4.012e-07 m 1.2200 s automatic 6.12 0.00
AU ARMA BHZ -- mb 3.021e-07 m 0.9500 s automatic 5.90 0.00
AU AS31 BHZ -- mb 1.5295e-07 m 1.1500 s automatic 5.72 0.00
AK ATKA BHZ -- mb 2.052e-06 m 0.9200 s automatic 6.96 0.00
AU BBOO BHZ -- mb 1.18375e-06 m 1.7500 s automatic 6.43 1.00
GE BKB BHZ -- mb 3.155e-07 m 1.0000 s automatic 6.20 1.00
G CAN BHZ 00 mb 1.0995e-06 m 1.8000 s automatic 6.29 1.00
IU CASY BHZ 10 mb 2.884e-07 m 0.8500 s automatic 6.34 1.00
AV CLES BHZ -- mb 5.2922e-06 m 1.2400 s automatic 7.24 0.00
AU COEN BHZ -- mb 6.244e-07 m 1.1500 s automatic 6.35 1.00
IU CTAO BHZ 10 mb 5.688e-07 m 0.8000 s automatic 6.49 1.00
IU DAV BHZ 10 mb 6.665e-07 m 0.7500 s automatic 6.65 0.00
AU EIDS BHZ -- mb 4.238e-07 m 1.2000 s automatic 5.96 0.00
II ERM BHZ 10 mb 1.2295e-07 m 0.9000 s automatic 5.74 0.00
GE FAKI BHZ -- mb 2.47655e-06 m 1.9000 s automatic 6.92 0.00
AU FORT BHZ -- mb 5.6315e-07 m 0.7000 s automatic 6.62 0.00

So the range in magnitudes is from 5.72 to 7.24, and it averages out to about 6.4. So, it's around 6.4, based on simple math. Therefore, using logarithmic equations derived from approximate numbers seems a little too precise to fit this science. But that's just my opinion.

And now an eruption on Vanuatu - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-26/volcanic-eruption-forces-thousands-to-evacuate-island-in-vanuatu/8990922

This is a very pretty island in the Pacific, but it is really pounded by natural disasters - cyclones, volcano eruptions and earthquakes.  A few posts up there was mention of a large earthquake here, and now the volcano is set off.

51 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And now an eruption on Vanuatu - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-26/volcanic-eruption-forces-thousands-to-evacuate-island-in-vanuatu/8990922

This is a very pretty island in the Pacific, but it is really pounded by natural disasters - cyclones, volcano eruptions and earthquakes.  A few posts up there was mention of a large earthquake here, and now the volcano is set off.

Wasn't that a location for Survivor? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I wouldn't know.  I've been there on a cruise and met a sister selling her wares in the market place who was just lovely.  The local taxi was this bunged up van with no seatbelts and we had a rollicking ride up to the high points to see the view over the island.  We witnessed to the driver and his companion in my broken French, and they really enjoyed the chat (see how happy they are in this pic?). The next week the island was flattened by huge cyclone Pam.

IMG_7200.thumb.JPG.08e6bdacac369d85d1b2081ad7e34213.JPG     vanuatu-0315-super-169.thumb.jpg.2825448cda110e272b847c3896ec98bd.jpg

On 9/21/2017 at 5:01 AM, GeordieGirl said:

https://www.hit.com.au/news/national/even-seismologists-are-scratching-their-heads-over-all-these-quakes?station=perth

Even Seismologists Are Scratching Their Heads Over All These Quakes

Phil Cummins from Geoscience Australia says even for experts, this kind of activity if unexpected and unpredictable. 

"The interesting thing is that most of these are happening on the 'ocean plate' that dives beneath the Continents and that is rather unusual. Even one of those is unusual so it is strange to have this large cluster of these earthquakes.. but I have no idea what that means"  

Cummins says the ongoing shakes are not what would usually be seen. 

"It's often expected that there might be another earthquake in the immediate vicinity of the first large event but you don't usually expect there to be a heightened risk of earthquakes to appear at a great distance like we are now, right over the Pacific Rim" 

GeordieGirl,

Thank you for the link. It says "5 major shakes globally in 24 hours". When and where did all 5 earthquakes happen?

35 minutes ago, Guri said:

GeordieGirl,

Thank you for the link. It says "5 major shakes globally in 24 hours". When and where did all 5 earthquakes happen?

There was the big one in Mexico (a 7.1 on 19th September - was also an 8.1 two weeks earlier in Mexico on Sept 8), Japan had one, New Zealand had two separate ones within an hour of eachother and cant remember where the other one was??  but they were all large quakes and happened in a 24 hour period. 

3 hours ago, Guri said:

GeordieGirl,

The article tells you if you click on the link:

Mexico was hit by a magnitude 8 shake. Yesterday, a 7.1 mag struck south east of Mexico City. The death toll from that shake now sits above 230, and is rising. 

Since then, Japan, New Zealand and Vanuatu have all copped shakes of varying degrees between 6 and 7.5 magnitude. 

I posted that on the 21st September so it was prior to that date.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

23 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

The article tells you if you click on the link:

Mexico was hit by a magnitude 8 shake. Yesterday, a 7.1 mag struck south east of Mexico City. The death toll from that shake now sits above 230, and is rising. 

Since then, Japan, New Zealand and Vanuatu have all copped shakes of varying degrees between 6 and 7.5 magnitude. 

I posted that on the 21st September so it was prior to that date.

GeordieGirl, 

Did all these happene within 24 hours? 

Edited by Guri

8 hours ago, Guri said:

GeordieGirl, 

Did all these happene within 24 hours? 

That is not the part of the article I quoted or referred to. I know a lot of earthquakes happened in a very short space of time ... whether it was 24 hours or more or less, I really don't know, I'm sorry. The part of the article I quoted was regarding seismologists not knowing why all these earthquakes are happening.  I did not quote any part that said how many earthquakes happened in any particular time frame.  If you want to know the answer to that you will have to do the research yourself. :)

It’s the timing of these prophesied earthquakes that puzzle me.

In Mt 24 they are mentioned before saying 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

Similarly in Mr 13.

But in Luke 21 earthquakes (along with food shortages and pestilences) are mentioned directly before saying “11 ... there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs. 12 “But before all these things happen, people will lay their hands on you and persecute you, ...”

I wonder if we will receive clarification. Perhaps the earthquakes prophecy will be fulfilled at the end, in line with other clarifications we have had.

#moreConfusedThanUsual

Do we know if the trend mentioned here has continued since 2012? (#3)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102012375#h=51:0-51:291

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

Typo

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/37294631/5-5-magnitude-quake-strikes-in-china/

A 5.5 magnitude earthquake rattled southwestern China's Sichuan province on Saturday, with initial reports of only minor damage.

The quake struck 78 kilometres west of Guangyuan city, the United States Geological Survey said, with a depth of 10 km.

Sichuan is often struck by tremors. A huge quake there in 2008 killed almost 70,000 people.

In August, a 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck a remote part of the same province near a popular tourist area, killing 20 people and injuring around 500.

Part of the East Coast suffered an earthquake back in 2011.  Am wondering when will it happen again.  Maybe it's all circumstances and unforeseen occurrences.  But to have several earthquakes happening in the Western Hemisphere and the "ring of fire" area at several hours or days apart is different.  Idaho, had one two weeks ago.  It wasn't as big, but still, it was Idaho.  I can understand if it was California, Oregon, and Washington State, even Nevada, or Arizona, but not Idaho.  Unless they are under a fault line or volcano too.   Well, I have my "to go bag" ready, and whatever important documents I need, meds, dog food, water, and whatever else the F&D S said to have.  What if am out in service, I don't expect dragging my bag from one friends car to the next.  The bag is heavier then me!  Most of the time, I wind up in other's car group.   Then what?  Trust in Jah! 
I have a lightweight go bag with me at all times. I'm to old to carry a heavy one. I'm the go too person at the meeting if someone has a need. i.e. nail clippers, eye drops etc.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, Doug said:

In about two months we will be giving wide distribution to the December AWAKE! No. 6 - Is the World out of Control?

This would be very timely right now. I shudder to think how supremely timely it will be in another couple months.

Las Vegas . . .