JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

Yes they would have felt that one for sure, that's big enough to do damage, not big enough to generate a tsunami though - which is great. In fact that being only 10 km's deep that would have been felt strongly ... and most times the EQ agencies downgrade - so that may have in fact been a 6.7 or so. So that one is most certainly one of concern.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

As an adult living in California it was always amusing when we had out of state visitors. We would have a mild shaking and the locals would not even slow down the conversation while the visitors we perplexed as to what was going on. When we would get a real house shaker they would ask is this an earthquake, showing more than little fright in their eyes. When we would get a whopper something over six they would be overwhelmed just trying to stay standing.

Actually  effects of  6+ are quite scary because when it starts it has your full attention and you are aware it might get much worse, much worse and you are fully aware that somebody is going to get hurt.  Running to a door way is mostly out of the question as it is next to impossible to walk.

As a kid I was not that nonchalant about quakes. During my first big quake I was playing across the street from a trailer park. This was in the era that trailers were just that, towable. The trailers looked like they were chasing each other back and forth for about minute and a half. During that time my feet went out from under me and I could not get up until the quaking subsided. Looking at the trailers I was surprised that most of them were still on their blocks. I went home and we had lost a chimmeny. My mother's year supply of mason jars full fruit and vegetables were laying 2 feet deep on the floor, that was all the damaged we sustained. Good news was I didn't have to eat canned peas and carrots for a year. I panicked with every after shock all night long.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yes, and even if there isn't any damage, that is the scary aspect of eqs - is how long are they going to go on for ... how big are they going to get - is this just the start of a larger one? And then afterwards ... every creak seems to indicate a another one starting. It messes with your mind. 

I'm certainly still listening to things months after our big one ...i stop what im doing just to make sure its not an eq. But those small ones I don't mind at all, you kind of know as soon as they start if they are just lil ones, or bigger, the noises often gives it away prior to them starting.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

In countries that have good structures ... anything under a 6.0 won't cause any damage at all even a shallow one, UNLESS there is previous damage from a bigger quake ... just saying this because we need to keep things in perspective, while those quakes listed above are certainly noteworthy, none of them are at the point of causing alarm.  Would be good to add in the depths as well, because the Fiji ones are often at a depth noone in Fiji would even notice.

NZ is getting hundreds of quakes every day ... we are still swarming from the big 7.8 (7.5) we had ... so 4.0 - 5.0's are very common for us.  You will find that not everything is being reported ... so your list is only the tip of the iceberg.

Remember that scripture about what is normal is abnormal and what is abnormal becomes normal? Well this is the case with earthquakes they are so common now ... that most of us in earthquake prone areas, just yawn at anything 6.0 and under ... it's quite weird when you think about it.

Don't worry about New Zealand so much at the moment ... life is normal here, I sometimes think that the rest of the world think we are enduring some type of ongoing disaster when it comes to earthquakes, we have damage in contained areas ..

Just thought I'd update you ... sometimes the stats are scarier than they actually are in rl.

I did not mean to cause alarm.-_-

I also did not specify what damage is cause d.  Toppled bookshelves and TVs and lamps, emptied cupboards, cracked walls and ceilings and shattered glass keepsakes is all earthquake damage, too.

I have been monitoring earthquake activity for quite a few years, now, on earthquake apps and the USGS website.  Lately, I have also been monitoring other countries' reports.

Usually, any magnitude under 4.0 is not even noticed, unless you can see little ripples in pools or puddles.

Very few countries in earthquake prone areas are wealthy enough that their citizens can afford earthquake proof housing...sad to say.:(

We just don't normally see a week's worth of these sized quakes occurring in such a short time frame.

Good reminder about abnormal becoming the new norm, and good to hear you are doing okay where you are.  Dutch has been talking an awful lot about New Zealand, lately and the shifting plate boundaries both there and in Italy.

How do we spell relief?

J-E-H-O-V-A-H's  K-I-N-G-D-O-M

^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I did not mean to cause alarm.-_-

I also did not specify what damage is cause d.  Toppled bookshelves and TVs and lamps, emptied cupboards, cracked walls and ceilings and shattered glass keepsakes is all earthquake damage, too.

I have been monitoring earthquake activity for quite a few years, now, on earthquake apps and the USGS website.  Lately, I have also been monitoring other countries' reports.

Usually, any magnitude under 4.0 is not even noticed, unless you can see little ripples in pools or puddles.

Very few countries in earthquake prone areas are wealthy enough that their citizens can afford earthquake proof housing...sad to say.:(

We just don't normally see a week's worth of these sized quakes occurring in such a short time frame.

Good reminder about abnormal becoming the new norm, and good to hear you are doing okay where you are.  Dutch has been talking an awful lot about New Zealand, lately and the shifting plate boundaries both there and in Italy.

How do we spell relief?

J-E-H-O-V-A-H's  K-I-N-G-D-O-M

^_^

You haven't caused alarm sweetheart, just without the depths you are only getting half the story. Just with the very definite increase of eqs we need to keep it balanced so we are concerned about the right ones in the right countries.  I have had some mention to me (not witnesses) that they would never come to NZ because of the eqs ... whereas life is pretty normal here ... with the exception of a few unfortunately.  

I just want to make sure especially since this thread is publicly visible that any reporting is balanced, fair and factual. 

Yes I feel for the countries that don't have the wealth to live in adequate housing even prior to any quake let alone trying to fix it afterwards, that's just so not how things should be.

Warm hugs my sis. x

Wow just the thought of an earthquake is so scary to me! Never experienced such as you all speak of. I'd think the world had come to the end yet you all speaking about it as it is just another natural happening is beyond my understanding. :confused:

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

And that Sister Charlotte is the sad way of the system at the moment, is that things that are abnormal seem normal esp when they happen all the time. For me eqs don't bug me until the shaking starts to move glass in the windows that's usually my guage then I think about moving haha. In the big 7.4 or whatever it was, I just sat in bed and relayed what was happening online, but that was because the nature of that quake was a rolling one, i could sense it wasn't going to cause too much damage, the ones that jolt though are entirely another story.

However, you put me into the streets of New York and I'd be petrified. So it is about what each one of us is used to ... it's all relative and in the new system i reckon the overwhelming quietness and peace is going to be so profound because many of us are just not used to it.

"Whole lot of shakin going on!"

Earthquakes are a natural phenomena. With out them we would not have mountain ridges. I wonder what controll we will have in the new system. Something that would prevent loss of life for sure. The need to cleanup and rebuild might not be all bad, we will have a lot of time. We may get new land like Hawaii and lose others in a constant renewal process.

Whatever, I am looking forward to it. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

14 minutes ago, Old said:

"Whole lot of shakin going on!"

Earthquakes are a natural phenomena. With out them we would not have mountain ridges. I wonder what controll we will have in the new system. Something that would prevent loss of life for sure. The need to cleanup and rebuild might not be all bad, we will have a lot of time. We may get new land like Hawaii and lose others in a constant renewal process.

Whatever, I am looking forward to it. 

Msy I please respectfully disagree with you about earthquakes being a natural phenomena? I think WE THINK they are natural because they have been happening  so long, and it is possibly a process which Jehovah may have even used initially as part of the creation process. But I think he also put measures in place pre-flood to stop any eqs. Unless I've missed mentions of eqs prior to that in the scriptures. So I don't think they are natural at all ... however, depending on what he purposes for the earth in the future, and whether he restores those measures he had previously will determine whether minor eqs become a natural process of things ... I don't wish to preempt Jehovah on this matter.

Our King, Christ Jesus, has proven that he has the power to control earth's natural forces and Jehovah assures us that there will be nothing in his New Earth that will cause us to tremble with fear.

It's all good.^_^...and safe...and secure.:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Msy I please respectfully disagree with you about earthquakes being a natural phenomena? I think WE THINK they are natural because they have been happening  so long, and it is possibly a process which Jehovah may have even used initially as part of the creation process. But I think he also put measures in place pre-flood to stop any eqs. Unless I've missed mentions of eqs prior to that in the scriptures. So I don't think they are natural at all ... however, depending on what he purposes for the earth in the future, and whether he restores those measures he had previously will determine whether minor eqs become a natural process of things ... I don't wish to preempt Jehovah on this matter.

Thank you for the respectfully, this is about the only place I get any! :lol:

"Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense."

Magandang hapon, aking mga kapatid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-quake-philippines-damage-idUSKBN15Q01I

Do any of our mga kaibigan Filipino on the site here live anywhere near there? Do you have any family or friends there? Mangyaring panatilihin sa amin alam!

Good morning brother Eric :) I hope too our friends is fine in Mindanao

Brother Old I dont know Mandi lives in Philippines :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

13 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Second lot has beached now, 240 of them!  Is this related to earthquakes?

it sure sounds like its not out of the realm of possibility   ...   http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/whale-rescuers-disheartened-new-pod-beaches-new-zealand-n719731?cid=par-xfinity_20170212

16 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Mandi, what about all the whales beached on the south island..?:mellow:  It was so sad to see that on CNN news. 

I don't know ... it does happen in NZ ... may have been the Philippines eq maybe? As whales swim we aren't that far away

The blue earthquake lightning is evidence that prior to an earthquake the atmosphere is affected so I can't see why whales/water creatures aren't affected either, which bodes really well for us - not 

Brother Jerry I'm in NZ ... nth island west coast. 

Alexa - should we be worried about you my darling? Are you near the philippines eq?

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

No Alexa, she lives in New Zealand.  How are you?  Are you affected?  Any news about how our brothers are faring?

Sis Lucy, I am affected in the forecast with the big one dutchsinse is saying I thought its a joke. When it happen to be, no news I received as to how or what happens on the city. The surigao city is the homeland of my mother that pretty much says but my mother doesnt have deep connection on that area now. :)

59 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I don't know ... it does happen in NZ ... may have been the Philippines eq maybe? As whales swim we aren't that far away

The blue earthquake lightning is evidence that prior to an earthquake the atmosphere is affected so I can't see why whales/water creatures aren't affected either, which bodes really well for us - not 

Brother Jerry I'm in NZ ... nth island west coast. 

Alexa - should we be worried about you my darling? Are you near the philippines eq?

Sis Mandi, I thought you would surprise me about being here in th Philippines. I am not near in the Philippines EQ. Its a relief about the earthquake proof kingdom halls that we have. I dont see very much the prophecy of earthquakes yet sis. My mother used to experience one time about 8 and she saw dancing buildings. Our speaker this morning open this up and he continued it with prophecy in us community of brothers and sisters :) and i haven't visited it yet the mindanao so I can pray like you sis who are far away here 

Edited by Alexa

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)