JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

FM Radios at Assemblies and Conventions

It was announced at our meeting that the FM broadcast at assemblies and conventions will be a lower frequency now. I don't know if this is just in the US or not.

The new FM frequencies will be between 72-76 MHz and standard FM radios here will not receive the lower frequency.

Does anyone plan to use an FM radio at the upcoming assemblies or conventions?

Have you found a radio that receives the lower frequencies?

There are quite a few available on Amazon but you have to look for the lower range frequencies.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It was announced at our meeting that the FM broadcast at assemblies and conventions will be a lower frequency now. I don't know if this is just in the US or not.

The new FM frequencies will be between 72-76 MHz and standard FM radios here will not receive the lower frequency.

Does anyone plan to use an FM radio at the upcoming assemblies or conventions?

Have you found a radio that receives the lower frequencies?

There are quite a few available on Amazon but you have to look for the lower range frequencies.

Brother Richard: Examples of suitable models that can be purchased through an online retailer are the ZHIWIS mini FM radio (64-108 MHz) or the EXMAX EXG-108 FM radio receiver (60-108 MHz). These radios typically cost around USD 13.

5 hours ago, JJWest said:

Brother Richard: Examples of suitable models that can be purchased through an online retailer are the ZHIWIS mini FM radio (64-108 MHz) or the EXMAX EXG-108 FM radio receiver (60-108 MHz). These radios typically cost around USD 13.

Yes, I have the announcement. I wanted to ensure that our members understood that the standard radios would no longer work. I wondered if anyone was familiar with any radios besides the two that were listed. I would like to find a FM receiver for the lower frequencies that can record the broadcast.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

These are the suggested models of fm radios from the USA branch. 

Screenshot_20230412-110342.png

Screenshot_20230412-110704.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Tonight, as part of the MWM announcements, we had the information about the changes coming to the FM

You may want to check this one and see if you can determine if it actually records in the correct FM range

ZHIWHIS Portable Bluetooth Radio, FM AM Shortwave Radios with Sleep Timer and Preset Function, Rechargeable Digital Recorder, Stereo MP3 Player with Lyric Display, Support Micro SD Card and AUX (amazon.com)

image.thumb.png.aebf6abb1774b23f748cdbc5371fb04c.png

BTW - the "green/white" options are for the color of the backlight ... not the color of the radio

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have been using my iRiver T60 2GB for some time now, and I have used it to record the CA's and DC's. What I really like about it it is very small, and I mean small, which can be held within your clenched hand as it uses a single AAA battery.

image.png.ced2c87b1d16dd2eae7f8445a8c5fa30.png

I use lithium batteries, because you get a day's worth of recording, whereas alkaline batteries do get very hot and fails in about 2 hours in recording. Whereas the lithium can get about 6-8 hours of recording before failing (dependent of the shelf life of the battery itself). But during playback, the lithium batteries seem to last a very long time. I can use the "used" lithium batteries (those I had used for recording for the day) for about a month listening to the playback or the FM radio, well past the "19-20hrs" playback time that they may have used alkaline batteries. I would say about 40-50hrs after their initial drain from recording the parts.

But the iRiver T60 device is now about 15 years old, and I say I am not far from replacing it. However, finding something to replace it is not that easy. But looking at that ZHIWHIS K-603 device, as it does record FM, it will be reasonable replacement and not too big in size either (but much bigger than the iRiver). What I do like that is has it's own antenna, whereas the iRiver uses the headphone cord which at times you can hear static going in and out when you move about. With the ZHIWHIS having a removable battery, you can have a spare one charged one in the bag if you need to do a quick change, and being a BL-5C, which are cheap as chips to buy, or you could use a powerbank to recharge it on the go.  Also having a removable Micro SD card, you can at least salvage your recorded files if the device no longer works. However, I do wonder what is it's build quality coming from China and whether it will last as long as my iRiver T60.

But I was able to find an Australian equivalent where it is branded as HanRongDa K-603 model, but it's radio frequency is 87-108MHz (set for Australia regulations), whereas the ZHIWHIS K-603 model has the range of 64-108MHz. Whereas I found a YouTube video of the HanRongDa K-603 brand with the frequency range of 64-106MHz on its rear panel. So it be interesting whether the one sold via the Australian vendor is different truly different to that one in the video (which I say was filmed in Asia judging by the radio stations that were scanned) as the back in their sample shots does disclose the specs of the device on its back.

image.png.6ad8bfb356b2ed3321ae01d2c16242ce.png

Looks like my amazon recorder came in a moments ago. I used a stereo audio spitter cable to feed to my Sony audio recorder and it seems to work out nicely recording audio from FM radio.

FM radio and Sony recorder.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:16 PM, Qapla said:

Tonight, as part of the MWM announcements, we had the information about the changes coming to the FM

You may want to check this one and see if you can determine if it actually records in the correct FM range

ZHIWHIS Portable Bluetooth Radio, FM AM Shortwave Radios with Sleep Timer and Preset Function, Rechargeable Digital Recorder, Stereo MP3 Player with Lyric Display, Support Micro SD Card and AUX (amazon.com)

image.thumb.png.aebf6abb1774b23f748cdbc5371fb04c.png

BTW - the "green/white" options are for the color of the backlight ... not the color of the radio

I tried this unit at the Willoughby, Ohio assembly hall for the morning session today. After I figured out the broadcast fm frequency , this device works nice. I used the usb cable to transfer my recordings to pc and it worked nice. The battery lasts nice. It did not move for the 2 hour am session. I am glad you suggested it Brother John.

Thanks, Askley, for letting us know ... I found it with a search but have not gotten one yet. Glad to know it works so well. I may have to see about getting one.

10 hours ago, Monique said:

Hello Brother Ashley, did you purchase both the ZHIWHIS and the EXMAX? Were both easy to use? How was the quality of their built?

Thanks for your question Sister Monique. I have purchased the amazon devices that are pictured on this topic. I have tested the white device briefly. As you could see that it is a bit extensive in setup with all the extra cables. The black one with the external antenna I would prefer. It is one device, fewer buttons to press. With the headphones plugged in, no one would hear the speaker output. Also, it has a nice usb connection to transfer the fm recordings out to a computer. The max sd card the directions says it can use is 32 gb. I hope hat helps.

16 hours ago, AH173 said:

Thanks for your question Sister Monique. I have purchased the amazon devices that are pictured on this topic. I have tested the white device briefly. As you could see that it is a bit extensive in setup with all the extra cables. The black one with the external antenna I would prefer. It is one device, fewer buttons to press. With the headphones plugged in, no one would hear the speaker output. Also, it has a nice usb connection to transfer the fm recordings out to a computer. The max sd card the directions says it can use is 32 gb. I hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply, your review is very helpful. My convention in Jersey City, NJ is later in May, so the ZHIWHIS would work for me. Thanks so much brother.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the transcript of the Jersey City Convention, this was announced:

"Please note that the entire program is also being broadcast simultaneously in English on FM frequency 72.1. You must use an FM radio to receive this broadcast. It cannot be received by Internet radio apps on mobile devices. "

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

According to the transcript of the Jersey City Convention, this was announced:

"Please note that the entire program is also being broadcast simultaneously in English on FM frequency 72.1. You must use an FM radio to receive this broadcast. It cannot be received by Internet radio apps on mobile devices. "

Same at the Green Bay Wisconsin Convention.

1 minute ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I bought a little FM radio just for the convention, but it stops at 82.

And, it's digital.  So I couldn't use it 😭

Ahhh!! Rosanne, sorry to hear 👂 that. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I bought a little FM radio just for the convention, but it stops at 82.

And, it's digital.  So I couldn't use it 😭

I think that the 72.1 frequency is only available on assistive listening devices. A few years back, that detail was announced along with the frequency, noting that you need a special device to get it. I'm surprised that the announcement @Tortuga quoted didn't mention that.

Announcement #3 for the April announcements said:

3. FM Radios at Assemblies and Conventions: The equipment used to broadcast the
audio portion of assemblies and conventions on an FM frequency has been adjusted. If you
make use of this provision, you will need to acquire a radio that can receive FM frequencies
between 72-76 MHz. If you need assistance in obtaining such a radio, please contact your
elders.

As was noted in several posts near the start of this thread, FM radios capable of receiving these signals are readily available and quite affordable - we were given ample notice by the Branch. 

Edited by Qapla

Hello,

There are UKV (ex-USSR countries) 65-180 Mhz and Japan (76-95 Mhz) that are covering 72-77 MHz.

So there are many cheap Chinese solutions for this countries if you will find this wave.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004824962506.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.4ace30285MXoTw&algo_pvid=353a9d3e-4255-4b7b-91cf-fd188f11efbb&algo_exp_id=353a9d3e-4255-4b7b-91cf-fd188f11efbb-3&pdp_npi=3%40dis!UAH!1377.32!479.58!!!!!%402100b88516854434257082355d07b4!12000030626249407!sea!UA!738627302&curPageLogUid=snrzgERIe7Vg

FM Frequency

FM1:64-108MHz

FM2:87-108MHz(optional)

10$

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

I thought the frequencies between 64 to 75 were used by the maritime mobile radio communications.

Appears to have been mostly East European as @Korotkiy says above. In the UK it's for both maritime mobile and radionavigation uses 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Qapla said:

Announcement #3 for the April announcements said:

3. FM Radios at Assemblies and Conventions: The equipment used to broadcast the
audio portion of assemblies and conventions on an FM frequency has been adjusted. If you
make use of this provision, you will need to acquire a radio that can receive FM frequencies
between 72-76 MHz. If you need assistance in obtaining such a radio, please contact your
elders.

As was noted in several posts near the start of this thread, FM radios capable of receiving these signals are readily available and quite affordable - we were given ample notice by the Branch.

The Society has an arrangement—or maybe used to have an arrangement—with Williams Sound. Brothers and sisters who are hard-of-hearing can order an assistive listening device from Williams Sound, for a reduced price. I used to own one before getting hearing aids. However, perhaps that arrangement is only in Canada.

Edited by Sheep