JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

https://earthsky.org/earth/scared-of-thunder-and-lightning-you-have-astraphobia/

Astraphobia is a fear of thunder and lightning

I grew up on Brandon Hill, a very high hill, which covered a very large iron ore deposit, in a town appropriately named Iron River.  

Lightning strikes were constantly hitting our buried water lines, the tall trees in our yard and, one time,  ball lightning even danced through our house while we were all sitting around the dining room table eating.

My bed was situated on the second floor, right between a window and our home's chimney.

I had heard that lightning can enter a house through a window, and that lightning often strikes chimneys.  

So, during electrical storms, I would sleep with my legs bent at the knees so the lightning wouldn't hit them when it came through the window en route to the chimney.  😂🤣

To this day, I have an ingrained fear of lightning...and its accompanying "KA-BOO-OOM!!!"

According to the above article, I am a full blown, fully grown Astraphobiac.

Any other Astraphobiacs out there?

Besides dogs and kitty cats?

Screenshot_20230607_121337.thumb.jpg.55157640232d507d692fc42e6994ce1a.jpg

Wonder if they make thunder jackets for people?

😂🤣🤩

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Fortunately, I do not suffer from Astraphobia - especially since I live in the lightning capital of the US

However, I do suffer from Acrophobia

Spoiler

Acrophobia is a mental health condition in which the individual experiences an intense fear of heights.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I can climb anything....no problem.

Alas, once I am waaaaaaaay up whatever I have climbed, 

I'm too terrified to climb back down. 🤣😂🤣

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

13 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I can climb anything....no problem.

Alas, once I am waaaaaaaay up whatever I have climbed, 

I'm too terrified to climb back down. 🤣😂🤣

Me too! Never know, should I turn around and come down back ways or the way I went up. Think rappelling would be the best.? 😄

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I love thunderstorms and lightning. I am usually outside when it does happen, but usually undercover. Whereas my wife, the dogs and cats are all hiding from it. We get a good view of storms when it comes into the valley, and generally we get a terrific light show, especially during the night.

We live in a spot where lightning does strike regularly, as most trees that are dead in the paddocks around us are dead due to being struck with lightning, even twice at times. Our shed has been hit twice. The first time it cut the powerline exactly in half from the pole to the shed, frying both the main switchboard on the shed as well as blowing up the transformer on the pole. The second time it struck in the middle of the shed and fried the mainboard again. When it happened the second time it happened, the electrician worked into the insurance claim quote the installation of lightning arresters on both the shed and the house, as he did the previous repair the first time.

I have been close to lightning stricks since I was a kid. Once when I was about 4 at my grandparents place and the lightning bolt was just on the other side of the glass window about a couple of feet away. Another time, I was riding my BMX rushing home in the pouring rain and a lightning strike hit a metal light post that was beside me on a bridge over a freeway and I could feel the heat of the bolt on my side and back as I rode past it. Another time at home where I live and I was in the shed and the lightning struck a tree at the back of the shed and all I heard was a ZZZZZZZ BANG!!!!!

I have installed on wife's and my devices an app called "My Lightning Tracker Pro", where you can set a distance from where you are (or designated location) notifications of a nearby lightning strikes. We use this as it will give us a heads up of an approaching storm, so we can disconnect any electrical devices at home before the storm comes. We do get alot of power surges and blackouts when storms are in our area. I use the "Kurza Sonar" as my notification ringtone which gives out the ping noise on sonar systems that you often hear in submarines movies.

If I was able to, I would love to go storm chasing, not just for the thrill of it, but watching the spectacular power and beauty of these storm clouds developing, and just making you realise how humbly we are compared to a single lightning bolt that we cannot even store the electricity into a battery or capacitor.

Edited by Pabo

13 hours ago, Qapla said:

Fortunately, I do not suffer from Astraphobia..

Me neither. I love a good lightning storm, the louder the crackling roar the better I like it..

13 hours ago, Qapla said:

suffer from Acrophobia

Nope, retired Ironworker here.

I loved walking the steel, I would do it now if my knees weren't so bad...fun stuff..:hammer:

6 hours ago, Pabo said:

I would love to go storm chasing, not just for the thrill of it

I would too, exactly for the fun of it!

If there was a way to ride in one, like a bomb proof suit of some type that would guarantee my safety, I would take that ride... in the New System, if allowed, hook me up...:taz:

10 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Nope, retired Ironworker here.

My only sibling, brother, was an ironworker. [As a Green Beret, parachutist, he apparently didn't inherit my fear of heights]. But one day he fell and was saved only when the tool belt he was wearing caught on something. He was so fearful afterwards that he didn't sleep well worrying that it could happen again. So he began having a beer or two for the insomnia, which eventually put a hook in him. Our father died of alcoholism and he apparently inherited that addictive gene. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a world where these fears, and risking our lives or health to make a living, won't exist in God's Kingdom.

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..