JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

4 hours ago, JonE said:

Fascinating read, thanks!

Yes, fascinating reading. Their appearance is hyper-coded. We realize how much more generous and reasonable Jehovah's Organization is in terms of personal freedom and taste. Major principles: modesty and common sense. The rest is left to discretionary choice.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, DarinS said:

In case you did not know

Hawaiian shirts where approved for Hawaii a short while ago …..like 1-2 years i think

(i heard the islanders also consider it formal wear….idk)

they were told it is allowed for service and meetings - there was probably a post here somewhere about it

Yes, here's a couple of pics.

hawaii 2.jpeg

hawaii 1.jpeg

On 1/12/2024 at 12:41 PM, Tortuga said:

Shortly after the Update a brother in our congregation told me that even though beards are okay, a goatee is obviously still a sign of rebellion. I recently showed him the images of brother Jackson and didn't say a word about his earlier comment. Some people just need a little time to adjust...:lol:

Nothing wrong with goatees but I’ve yet to see one I personally like. They are just ew to me. One of our elders sported one last night and it came in all gray. Looks like he ate a powdered donut. 🍩 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 minute ago, BLEmom said:

Nothing wrong with goatees but I’ve yet to see one I personally like. They are just ew to me. One of our elders sported one last night and it came in all gray. Looks like he ate a powdered donut. 🍩 

One of our brothers is starting to look a lot like Colonel Sanders 🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think for some of the brothers it may turn out to be a fad; a choice because they now feel they can and want to try it out.

If, for some reason, the appointed brothers find that their growing a beard has a negative impact on their shepherding activities, will they opt to remove it?

1 hour ago, Mike047 said:

I think for some of the brothers it may turn out to be a fad; a choice because they now feel they can and want to try it out.

If, for some reason, the appointed brothers find that their growing a beard has a negative impact on their shepherding activities, will they opt to remove it?

I'd like to see one notable reason why growing a well-groomed goatee should have any impact (positive or negative) on shepherding activities. 

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

Powdered donut?   That's kind of mean...  😄

21 minutes ago, truce said:

I'd like to see one notable reason why growing a well-groomed goatee should have any impact (positive or negative) on shepherding activities.

The keyword in your comment is "notable". Just because something bothers us, does that make it notable. Not really. For example, I hate brown dress shoes. Yet, many brothers wear them. Should they stop wearing brown shoes because I don't like them? Nope! There are too many things that may bother us, irritate us and so forth. 

I could give you a list of my pet peeves of what bugs me. We live in a time when everyone seems to be quickly offended. I studied my Watchtower for this Sunday under the article "How to Keep Our Love for One Another Strong".  Under the subheading "HOW CAN WE KEEP OUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER STRONG? paragraph 13 really applies and I want to quote the paragraph in it's entirety:

"One way to determine the strength of our love is to examine how we handle certain situations in life. (2 Cor. 8:8) One such situation is mentioned by the apostle Peter: “Above all things, have intense love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.” (1 Pet. 4:8) So the weaknesses and imperfections of others can put our love to the test."

My takeaway? Love will be the motivating factor to why we do what we do. 

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

1 hour ago, Mike047 said:

We had a brother say that out loud to me in front of a couple of elders who are now sporting a beard.  They kindly told him that for a surprising number of people in our congregation, they felt that being clean shaven was a sacrifice they were making to Jehovah.  So, now that they don't have to make that sacrifice, they're taking advantage.  So the beards will be sticking around.  

55 minutes ago, truce said:

Perhaps because it could show that....

On 1/8/2024 at 9:09 PM, Pjdriver said:

Many of those growing beards now may just get it out of their system.... and then grow tired of it and shave it off.

2 hours ago, Mike047 said:

.... some brothers, who are spiritually mature, are actually just following a fad? What example may that provide?

For example, I believe - as evidenced by some postings here - that some in the congregations have been surprised both at just how quickly certain brothers started growing beards, literally immediately after the announcement, and also by the number of brothers all choosing to start having a beard all at the same time.

Edited by Parale

Perhaps some do not know the definition of FAD

noun
  1. an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
since this is the first known hairstyle created by our father
it can not be considered a fad
since it is the longest lasting and original - the word dad does not apply

Why would any mature spiritual adult humans cause issues with our negative opinions about propriety - when our father created us this way

don’t see any possible justification by a balanced adult 

Jehovah choose to reveal this ‘Light’ or understanding
might it be because during tribulation we may not have a handy razor - I don’t know
Might it be that we will look like our ancient brothers / men of old / those we study with
Might it be to create Unity among us worldwide

we all may have questions - but rejoice in the new ‘Light’ 
If you encounter some naysayers
Ask how long it to them to accept Jehovahs revealed light on Bible scripture / Principles
or how long until they supported 50 hr pioneering
or how many months they kept reporting their time

MOST of us accepted these truths/changes/adjustments immediately 

and rejoice that obedience was blessed in the past
and ‘release from bondage’ is blessed now ….. lol

6 minutes ago, DarinS said:

MOST of us accepted these truths/changes/adjustments immediately

And for the others it just be the need for more time to adjust. I was thinking of the change to electronic devices being used at the meeting. The Governing Body made an announcement that such devices could be used from the platform. Some made comments they want a "real" magazine or Bible to use not a tablet, laptop, smartphone. I have seen many adjustments since my baptism in 1975, some were easy to implement, others more of a challenge. 

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

2 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

The keyword in your comment is "notable". Just because something bothers us, does that make it notable. Not really. For example, I hate brown dress shoes. Yet, many brothers wear them. Should they stop wearing brown shoes because I don't like them? Nope! There are too many things that may bother us, irritate us and so forth. 

I could give you a list of my pet peeves of what bugs me. We live in a time when everyone seems to be quickly offended. I studied my Watchtower for this Sunday under the article "How to Keep Our Love for One Another Strong".  Under the subheading "HOW CAN WE KEEP OUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER STRONG? paragraph 13 really applies and I want to quote the paragraph in it's entirety:

"One way to determine the strength of our love is to examine how we handle certain situations in life. (2 Cor. 8:8) One such situation is mentioned by the apostle Peter: “Above all things, have intense love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.” (1 Pet. 4:8) So the weaknesses and imperfections of others can put our love to the test."

My takeaway? Love will be the motivating factor to why we do what we do. 

The use of the word NOTABLE was intentional, reason being that no matter what you say or do at any given time, there will ALWAYS be some looking for a reason to be stumbled. For such ones, Psalm 119:165 should apply..

And seven years ago....

Watchtower September 2016, page 21, paragraph 17

"In some cultures, a neatly trimmed beard may be acceptable and respectable, and it may not detract at all from the Kingdom message. In fact, some appointed brothers have beards."

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016684#h=27

I'm in London and one sister said to me shortly after the 15 December 2023 announcement that there where already more brothers with beards than without here - yes, sure, an exaggeration, but actually, truth be told, not that far off.

Thus you'll find that the announcement, for most publishers here, was really no big deal, and therefore I don't believe it's even been much discussed. We've had occasional visiting elders with beards give public talks - so I don't believe 'accepting' the 15 December 2023 announcement, and the added freedom it gives brothers, is really any 'problem' here.... as another poster stated earlier in this thread:

On 12/15/2023 at 5:01 PM, Ross said:

In the UK beards have been “mostly acceptable for appointed men for the past few years. (Apart from Bethel and assembly speakers,)

I have a part at the assembly tomorrow, so I will be keeping my beard this time. It will feel very strange. 

Yes, the 15 December 2023 announcement means that we can now also be happy that brothers no longer need to shave off their beards when accepting a platform assignment at assemblies, and so forth.

What though has been interesting - this 40-page thread included, and other threads, and the various memes being actively shared - is the reaction to the 15 December 2023 announcement by the worldwide brotherhood in other lands, which has been evidently been quite different from here where I am, and which is kinda why I'm following this thread....

Edited by Parale

2 hours ago, Parale said:

Perhaps because it could show that....

.... some brothers, who are spiritually mature, are actually just following a fad? What example may that provide?

For example, I believe - as evidenced by some postings here - that some in the congregations have been surprised both at just how quickly certain brothers started growing beards, literally immediately after the announcement, and also by the number of brothers all choosing to start having a beard all at the same time.

This is the result of an unnecessary personal policy that lasted for 60-70 years that was unscriptural. What you’re seeing now is many years of pent up facial hairs set free all at once.  But don’t forget....they're still the same people...just with a beard.:lol:

Like a pendulum held high in one direction....when you let go it will swing high into the opposite direction, from one extreme to the other extreme,  before  it finally starts to come to the middle and stay there. Give it 6 months and it will seem like there never were any restrictions.

Jehovah evidently gave man the ability to grow a beard, as opposed to women. I know for many men a beard give them confidence...or some have features like turkey neck and a beard helps with that. For Israelites it wasn’t just about a command to grow a beard, but a  shaving it  off was shameful, loss of dignity. It’s 101% natural. Of course all things moderation and clean.   

I know there are still some ultra-conservative.... usually older ones that are a little shocked by it. 

But these don’t realize this is a personal choice. Can’t blackball someone because they choose to wear a beard. 

PS. Ironic that when Israelites came under the law they were commanded to grow bears...Why? So as not to look like the peoples of other nations who were clean shaven. :lol:

However, when the first century congregation was established......there no longer any requirements were given whether to grow a beard or not.   

Recall the GB in Jerusalem dealing with the  circumcision issue?

For the holy spirit+ and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols,+ from blood,+ from what is strangled,+ and from sexual immorality.+—Acts 15:28, 29.    

If the GB in the first century had told christians they had to shave clean so as to blend with the gentiles...that would be a “burden”....i.e. an unnecessary rule. (Pharisaical )

Many quit studying because some of the friends got a little pushy about getting their students to shave.  

But aren’t we glad we have the new policy. :coffee::beard3:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

4 hours ago, Mike047 said:

Before we were told beards were a stumbling block...now we finally realize you can’t please every one and it is a personal choice.  Why would we want to go backwards? 

If a brother wanted a beard and was told he could not be appointed in anything, and if he was stumbled becasue he felt it was unscriptural to forbid beards...was the concern of the BOE more about the policy or the brother.....the policy was more important than stumbling a brother....not long ago (month).   

Bottom line is either way you slice it, you will always  have people stumbling over something. Often as expressed here they just don’t favor that style. Same could be said about women’s hairstyles etc............

However,  the mindset that is stumbled by a beard is usually because of years of being told that beard were a sign of rebellion of just worldly. Beards are no more worldly than wearing shoes.  They’ve been around longer that shoes.

Adam had a beard before he wore shoes. :lol: 

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

7 hours ago, jwnate said:

Yes, here's a couple of pics.

hawaii 2.jpeg

hawaii 1.jpeg

I’m jealous.  😁

The time will come, everything will fall into place. Anyone who follows fashion and emotions will probably leave this idea with a beard. If my brother sees himself as an individual in this, then we will be happy for him. There may be danger awaiting us, so that we do not impose, do not condemn both sides, do not be offended, do not prohibit and do not insist that we are right!

3 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

We had a brother say that out loud to me in front of a couple of elders who are now sporting a beard.  They kindly told him that for a surprising number of people in our congregation, they felt that being clean shaven was a sacrifice they were making to Jehovah.  So, now that they don't have to make that sacrifice, they're taking advantage.  So the beards will be sticking around.  

I like that comment. 

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

Before we were told beards were a stumbling block...now we finally realize you can’t please every one and it is a personal choice.  Why would we want to go backwards? 

If a brother wanted a beard and was told he could not be appointed in anything, and if he was stumbled becasue he felt it was unscriptural to forbid beards...was the concern of the BOE more about the policy or the brother.....the policy was more important than stumbling a brother....not long ago (month).   

Bottom line is either way you slice it, you will always  have people stumbling over something. Often as expressed here they just don’t favor that style. Same could be said about women’s hairstyles etc............

However,  the mindset that is stumbled by a beard is usually because of years of being told that beard were a sign of rebellion of just worldly. Beards are no more worldly than wearing shoes.  They’ve been around longer that shoes.

Adam had a beard before he wore shoes. :lol: 

Did Adam wear shoes? (Topic for another thread)... hehehehe....

I love your second paragraph. Barely a month or so ago, it seemed that the concern of the BOE or even of the GB was more about the policy than about the brother. Glad things have changed. No further burdens added except the necessary things. Maybe soon we might be given the option of letting go of another burden: the thing around your neck....  especially when doing service in hot weather. 

Edited by truce