JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 July Monthly Broadcast

18 minutes ago, carlos said:

The 400 years of affliction started in 1913 BCE when Ishmael started harassing Isaac and finished in 1513 BCE when the Israelites left Egypt. :)

Ooay thank you, I just started slowly reading (well listening to the audio) of the Bible this week. Been trying to figure out a good studying route. Oh I saw the country of Ai when going through early Genesis, and when it was mentioned in the drama "Not One Word had Failed" I was like "AH HA!". I've been learning slowly that the Bible is rich with stories, despite being in church for over 30 years I feel like I never even scratched the surface

Edited by Qapla

Spelling

6 hours ago, Ostria said:

I've been learning slowly that the Bible is rich with stories, despite being in church for over 30 years I feel like I never even scratched the surface

I think we all understand that feeling. :)

I recommend reading this book: 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/?contentLanguageFilter=en&pubFilter=lfb&sortBy=1

While it is a book for children, it's brief and enjoyable and a great way to get familiar with the main stories in the Bible, and the pictures are awesome.

Yesterday I watched Broadcasting. Brother Splane is so old!* How different from when he came to Brazil last time! But he has something that still leaves me speechless... I've always found his art of teaching phenomenal... and this Morning Adoration is incredible! It's something to see and revisit... impressive. So many things I had never thought about before about Joseph, Potiphar, his brothers... it's the spirit of Jehovah in full action speaking through Brother Splane!

A senior brother at Bethel once said that the last member of the Governing Body who was a scholar after Brother Franz's death was Brother Schroeder.

However, two brothers I met at Bethel, both missionaries, spoke about Brother Splane. One of them said that when Brother Splane led morning worship, the Bethel family was delighted. The other said that Brother Splane was the best talker/instructor he had ever seen among the members of the Governing Body. In fact, he is also a scholar, a erudite.

________

*This English expression "so old" seems so harsh to our ears, to Portuguese speakers. We have an affectionate way to refer to a very elderly person who is dear to us. We call them "velhinho", or in literal English "little old man" or something like "cute old man". So Brother Splane looks so velhinho! :crush:

8 hours ago, carlos said:

I think we all understand that feeling. :)

I recommend reading this book: 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/?contentLanguageFilter=en&pubFilter=lfb&sortBy=1

While it is a book for children, it's brief and enjoyable and a great way to get familiar with the main stories in the Bible, and the pictures are awesome.

Oh snaps, i have a physical copy of this. They gave it to me to read for my son my first time at the congregation. My son (3) likes looking at the pictures and pointing out the animals. 

That morning worship also made me reflect on how Joseph “conquered the evil with the good” in the case of Potiphar’s wife.

What she did was horrendous, and now that Joseph was in a position to correct injustices in the land as prime minister, no wonder Bro. Splane highlighted the lack of sleep she may have had now that Joseph was in the position he was in! But there’s no record that Joseph repaid Potiphar’s wife for the evil she committed, and Joseph’s same forgiving attitude was again the hallmark of his character when later he finally was reunited with his brothers. (Gen. 45:3-15) 

Even Jacob, Joseph’s father, saw this attitude is Joseph by portraying his forgiving nature this way: “But the archers kept harassing him and shot at him and kept harboring animosity against him. And yet his bow remained in place.” (Gen. 49:23, 24) Despite the repeated attacks, Joseph’s “bow” remained in place by replacing animosity with kindness. Jospeh endured his ill-treatment and did not weaken in his devotion to God.

No wonder Jehovah preserved Joseph in His memory and in His word for us to imitate his faith.

“It’s not a matter of how much we know, but how much we love what we know.”