JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The hobbit movie

So was out in field the other day with a sister and while on a study she comment on ow she loved the hobbit book and looking forward to the movie - then she added its a conscience issue and turned to me and said I hope I haven't stumbled you !

I found this funny cause It bought back to me a conversation we had had earlier about a younger brother and his music he had picked for his engagement party - some rock / metal music and her response was negative to that ???

But it did get me thinking

I don't think anyone would say " Harry potter" movies are a conscience choice.? It seems pretty clear that these movies we would avoid a little like " twilight movies"

But what is the difference between lord of ring movies/ hobbit movie with magic, sorcery , etc and Harry potter? Is it a conscience issue?

Can one get disfellowshiped for viewing such things? How many movies/books does one have to view before it is considered delving into demonic activity? Does this individual have to actually practice magic before they can be counceled by the elders in a committee? Any elders here up for a go at this one?

I recall when I was pioneering a young sister (also a pioneer) who was reading a TOTALLY demonic 'syfy' book in our car group. Just seeing the cover gave me the creeps!! I questioned her choice of reading and gave her my opinion that this can lead to harsher things down the line. Her comment to me is that both of her parents knew she was reading the book and they approved. I seriously doubt that! Her Mom was pioneering and the Dad is an elder. A year later both this young sister and her new hubby left the congregation, writing a letter stating they no longer wished to be JWs, and sided with a known apostate. Interestingly enough my sister stayed with this newly married couple while she attended pioneer school just prior to this bad turn of events. What she saw was that the husband was interested in 'seeing' what false religious leaders were saying on TV, listening to a preacher, just to laugh and make fun of his ideas. My sister stated how uncomfortable she was with that show on, but it was HIS house! Very sad. They have never returned to Jehovah.

Is it a conscience issue?

All movies are conscience matters. That being said, we should use our bible trained conscience to determine what movies we should not watch, and based on what we have learned in the bible, it should be a pretty easy decision to determine what movies we shouldn't watch.

Is it a conscience issue?

All movies are conscience matters. That being said, we should use our bible trained conscience to determine what movies we should not watch, and based on what we have learned in the bible, it should be a pretty easy decision to determine what movies we shouldn't watch.

Well, OK - not ALL movies are conscience matters - Question from Readers

This Hobbit movie however, does see to be a matter of ones conscience.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I'll put it this way. There are a good number of popular movies which at some times and places are condemned by name by an elder, servant, or pioneer, and are yet watched anyway by other elders, servants, and pioneers. Such as: Avatar, Transformers, and so forth, and this movie is no exception. To me this underscores that we must make our own decisions - and not inadvertantly impose our consciences on others. There is no easy answer for these things.

I'll put it this way. There are a good number of popular movies which at some times and places are condemned by name by an elder, servant, or pioneer, and are yet watched anyway by other elders, servants, and pioneers. Such as: Avatar, Transformers, and so forth, and this movie is no exception. To me this underscores that we must make our own decisions - and not inadvertantly impose our consciences on others. There is no easy answer for these things.

An old example of this might be the tv show "Bewitched." It was clearly about witchcraft and most Witnesses did not watch it for the obvious reasons. Others saw it only as Hollywood special effects and comedy.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

To be honest I have seen all the Lord of the Rings films and even had them on DVD and it never bothered my conscience at the time. But in the time period between the LOTR films and the new Hobbit film the society seem to have really highlighted the danger of watching these kind of films a lot more. So although I really do want to see the Hobbit film as i was a big fan I'm gonna give it a miss, its just not worth stumbling someone or endangering your relationship with Jehovah in anyway. (Although I would not have a problem with a brother if he told me he watched it as I basically did the same thing a few years ago by watching LOTR)

We are all accountable before Jehovah as individuals. If she thought she might stumble you, I wonder why she would even mention it.

Satan is insidious, he is watching us, he knows us intimately, our likes, desires, wishes and you bet he'll use anything he can to draw us away from Jehovah. There are a lot of things that people do that confuse me, and it throws me off balance for a while. But like previous posters have said, perhaps in time her conscience may bother her.

Would Jesus watch The Hobbit, Avatar, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, James Bond etc etc? This is a question i would always ask myself.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Would Jesus watch The Hobbit, Avatar, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, James Bond etc etc? This is a question i would always ask myself.

I even doubt he would watch any tv or even the news.

I'll let you know if it was any good.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....