JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who Wants To Live In Mars? Its Now Open For Application

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4035 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hmm.. Interesting...

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/apply-move-outer-space-mars-one-opens-applications-150207180.html

"The Mars One project is now accepting video applications from members of the public who wish to leave Earth, never to return, and be among the first people to start life on another planet. The Dutch Space travel company, which is headed by businessman Bas Lansdorp and is behind the Mars One project, aims to colonize the Red Planet by 2023.  To apply to the project see:http://http://applicants.mars-one.com/

But for us, as Jehovah's people, all (meek ones) of us are awaiting to possess the earth. - Psalm 37:9-11

What many people don't seem to realise is that Earth is a PLANET just like mars... (well, actually it's nothing like mars, the earth is more suitable for living on).

But, people seem to fantasize about travelling through space and living in outer space somewhere... If they could see the earth from a different perspective they'd realise that they are ALREADY living in outer space — on planet earth. Earth is just like a gigantic ball-shaped space-ship travelling through our milky way galaxy.

I bet those travellers destined for mars would look back from their new vantage point looking at our beautiful blue green gem in the blackness of space and think... wow, wouldn't that be an amazing place to live?

Currently there are no reusable space craft on Earth.  All the rockets available are low-Earth orbit only.  No nation can even currently reach the moon.  To expect that a mission to Mars could be achieved by 2023, which is in just 10 years, is quite far-fetched.

I like the idea, though.

Currently there are no reusable space craft on Earth.  All the rockets available are low-Earth orbit only.  No nation can even currently reach the moon.  To expect that a mission to Mars could be achieved by 2023, which is in just 10 years, is quite far-fetched.

I like the idea, though.

Imperfect mankind can achieved alot within 10 years if they put their mind into it. We just have to wait and see..

Imperfect mankind can achieved alot within 10 years if they put their mind into it. We just have to wait and see..

This is just too high a hill to climb.  And there is no forward momentum right now in the space program.  Nobody cares and they'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

My personal opinion, and this is just my personal opinion, is that Jehovah is influencing events so that humans will never reach another planet, not even Mars.  Oh sure, we can send probes and satellites and rovers anywhere we want.  Those are just machines.  But I don't think Jehovah wasnts man spreading sin beyond Earth.  We're not even going to the moon anymore. 

Ah, well, it's nice to dream.

... Nobody cares and they'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

I heard Barak Obama announce recently something about next turning their attention to the workings of the human brain which they described as being more of a mystery than outer space.

I'm not sure if heard that right...

Lansdorp has already got people lined up to apply! Hundreds of them. I don't know what is going on in those little Trekkie brains.....I mean, dreaming/fantasizing is one thing, but going is something totally different.

And yes, if they put their minds to it, it could actually be doable.....another Tower of Babel, perhaps?

I too, think that Jehovah will not allow sinful mankind (emphasis on the sinful) to reach that far into the heavens. But even if He did, there is no where that He cannot find them (Amos 9:2)

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

Lansdorp has already got people lined up to apply! Hundreds of them. I don't know what is going on in those little Trekkie brains.....I mean, dreaming/fantasizing is one thing, but going is something totally different.

And yes, if they put their minds to it, it could actually be doable.....another Tower of Babel, perhaps?

I too, think that Jehovah will not allow sinful mankind (emphasis on the sinful) to reach that far into the heavens. But even if He did, there is no where that He cannot find them (Amos 9:2)

I remember this week's WT study... And a recent astronaut article on scientific american where he states that he would like to be the ginnea pig in Mars colonising... Even if he would dye there!

They're just looking to obtain glory from men

As a side note, it's possible to go to to Mars right now (technicaly speaking), just it's not possible to come back...

As for Jehovah's thoughts regarding space travels we don't know... But we humans don't have wings like birds, don't have the strenght of an elephant but have the inteligence to overcome all of those things... We can go where no bird as gone and we can pull the heaviest of things... And if Jehovah as created such an imense Universe couldn't we dream to visit it?

We don't know Jehovah's plans after the Earth is filled...

But like you said, when the destruction comes there's no place to hide... Not eaven in a black hole

How about in 8 years?

On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy announced before a special joint session of Congress the dramatic and ambitious goal of sending an American safely to the Moon before the end of the decade ... His goal was achieved on July 20, 1969, when Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong stepped off the Lunar Module's ladder and onto the Moon's surface.

Think about it - not only were there no "re-usable" spacecraft available, the technology to make them had not even been created. Computers in the 1960's were something less than what we have in the dumbest of phones now. However, in less than 10 years man went to the moon and came back.

Currently there may not be any vessels to go beyond earth orbit, but the technology and materials to build them is available as well as the knowhow.

If they really wanted to, man could go there - surviving the trek might be a different story.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yah, but in this case, we're not trying to beat the Russians, either.  At least by Kennedy's speech in 61 NASA was heading down that path. We'd already had Mercury and Gemini programs. 

After reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, I really believe that Mars can be terraformed and made habitable for human life.  One of the cool things to look forward to in the New System.

my brother i so much cherish the earth where i found God's wanderful creatures, be amound international brotherhood and in future be among the great crowd who will inherit the very earth as Jehovah purposed.Read Ps 37:29. And remaind the businessman what happened to Nimrod of old, maybe he is afraid of what is recorded at Jer 25:33, thinking he can avert Jehovah's day of judgement