JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

When Christians Become A 'hated Minority'

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4005 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

(CNN) - When Peter Sprigg speaks publicly about his opposition to homosexuality, something odd often happens.

During his speeches, people raise their hands to challenge his assertions that the Bible condemns homosexuality, but no Christians speak out to defend him.

“But after it is over, they will come over to talk to me and whisper in my ear, ‘I agree with everything you said,’" says Sprigg, a spokesman for The Family Research Council, a powerful, conservative Christian lobbying group.

We’ve heard of the “down-low” gay person who keeps his or her sexual identity secret for fear of public scorn. But Sprigg and other evangelicals say changing attitudes toward homosexuality have created a new victim: closeted Christians who believe the Bible condemns homosexuality but will not say so publicly for fear of being labeled a hateful bigot.

As proof, Sprigg points to the backlash that ESPN commentator Chris Broussard sparked recently. Broussard was called a bigot and a purveyor of hate speech when he said an NBA player who had come out as gay was living in “open rebellion to God.” Broussard said the player, Jason Collins, was “living in unrepentant sin” because the Bible condemns homosexuality.

“In the current culture, it takes more courage for someone like Chris Broussard to speak out than for someone like Jason Collins to come out,” says Sprigg, a former pastor. “The media will hail someone who comes out of the closet as gay, but someone who simply expresses their personal religious views about homosexual conduct is attacked.”

Much more here:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/05/when-christians-become-a-hated-minority/

Edited by Musky

The Watchtower for today had a fine example of one who fights his homosexual tendencies and remains an active brother. He did stumble badly but recovered. Jehovah lovingly provides real life experiences for whatever imperfections his servants live with. Again Jehovah has supplied what a segment of his worshippers needs. My granddaughter knows several sisters who have the same problem. They have determined to be single for now and see what happens to their problem in the Paradise.

Every day I am alive in this system - I understand the apostles John's words more clearly "AMEN! COME LORD JESUS!!!!“

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I find it interesting that it's the homosexual movement more than anything else in recent times that seems to be marginalising Christians. Who would've thought 20 years ago that it would've gained such popular support, and in such a short space of time?

If it wasn't clear to see before, it's becoming ever clearer now why Jehovah holds false religion responsible for so much of the world's problems. 

False religious organisations of all stripes seem to be in utter confusion as to what position to take on this issue and this confusion has only added to the problem. Their position is so easily influenced by public opinion and has very little to do with faith or accurate bible knowledge. Read this article to see what I mean.

We can be sure that the homosexual movement will continue to gain momentum. And nominal Christians will be forced to either accept it or face the consequences.

The end must be getting close.

Woe to those who are saying that good is bad and bad is good, those who are putting
darkness for light and light for darkness, those who are putting bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

And YOU people will again certainly see the distinction between a righteous one and a wicked one,
between one serving God and one who has not served him.” 

“For, look! the day is coming that is burning like the furnace, and all the presumptuous
ones and all those doing wickedness must become as stubble. And the day that is coming
will certainly devour them,” Jehovah of armies has said, “so that it will not leave to them either
root or bough. And to YOU who are in fear of my name the sun of righteousness will certainly
shine forth, with healing in its wings; and YOU will actually go forth and paw the ground
like fattened calves.”

This just makes me more determined to stand up for what is right. We might be shunned and

ridiculed for our declaring Jehovah's righteous ways but by taking our stand on Jehovah's side

we will reap a great reward. I'm with you Dave the end must be close.

Thanks for posting Chuck. Very interesting.   :)

post-3004-0-56210200-1367834832.jpg

I find it interesting that it's the homosexual movement more than anything else in recent times that seems to be marginalising Christians. Who would've thought 20 years ago that it would've gained such popular support, and in such a short space of time?

If it wasn't clear to see before, it's becoming ever clearer now why Jehovah holds false religion responsible for so much of the world's problems.

False religious organisations of all stripes seem to be in utter confusion as to what position to take on this issue and this confusion has only added to the problem. Their position is so easily influenced by public opinion and has very little to do with faith or accurate bible knowledge. Read this article to see what I mean.

We can be sure that the homosexual movement will continue to gain momentum. And nominal Christians will be forced to either accept it or face the consequences.

The end must be getting close.

This is ominously true. Have you ever read this before? Specifically at the State level .7

http://www.rslevinson.com/gaylesissues/features/collect/onetime/bl_platform1972.htm

7. Repeal of all laws governing the age of sexual consent.

Legalize pedophilia is an interesting agenda don't you think? Did you know there are some States that agree with this agenda and are working on legislation?

How far it as come from being a disgusting and abnormal thing in society to most likely a majority taking sides with perversion.

Not surprisingly Obama is ok with children taking the morning after pill http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/05/02/obama_im_comfortable_with_fda_decision_to_sell_morning-after_pill_to_15_year_olds.html

Not too long ago I had a very long discussion with an Episcopalian Church member and I'm going to have to post some of his comments here for you all to gasp at - That Church is ANYTHING goes and I mean anything...

Edited by Jordan

I don't know if any of you have seen this before but this is how corrupted false religion has become - keep in mind that there are places in his speech that there is no answer for scripturally but he will immediately play to the listeners emotions. Never mind what God says --- my feelings are hurt and I need love too. Listen carefully to what he's doing if you can stomach it.

You know, I hate to say it like this, but I welcome these changes in laws and lowering of moral standards.  As disgusting as they are, this can only mean we're getting closer and closer to the end.  I figure the quicker the decay, the quicker we'll see it all washed away.

Psalms 92:7

7 When the wicked ones sprout as the vegetation

And all the practicers of what is hurtful blossom forth,

It is that they may be annihilated forever.

8 But you are on high to time indefinite, O Jehovah.

Sometimes I imagine the angels standing at the ready with scythes in their hands ready for harvesting the wicked. But Jehovah will not give the signal until the crop is fully ripened as far as badness is concerned.

I kind of get the feeling that a line is being drawn in the sand over this issue. "Christians" are being forced to put their money where their mouths are. Hopefully they will see the light now and act to distance themselves from BTG as Jehovah's been telling them to do at Rev 18:4 where he says: "Get out of her MY people if you do not want to share with her in her sins".

The uncompromising stand that we take as Jehovah's people will stand out as a beacon for honest hearted ones to see. Now they must surely see the distinction between one who serves God and one who doesn't. Time is running out for them ... And for us to actually find the last remaining honest hearted ones.

Edited by Dave

The homosexual community have played their cards brilliantly! In one generation they have gone from a marginal minority living"alternatively" to being the champions of all that is moral and upright.  It is not child abuse, global warming, corruption, or any of the other world ills that have become the issue of a generation, it is gay marriage. That is the issue that allows this generation to judge if you are a "good" or a "bad" person...I never thought I'd live to see that day.  But I think there's more to come.

Part of the confusion that exists amongst Christendom on this issue stems from their inaccurate translations of the bible.

For example in the NWT bible (our bible), 1 Tim 3 says:

"3 That statement is faithful. If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach".

The CEV bible (Contemporary English Version) says:

"3. It is true that anyone who desires to be a church official wants to be something worthwhile. That's why officials must have a good reputation and be faithful in marriage. They must be self controlled, sensible, well behaved, friendly to strangers, and able to teach."

Many modern bibles have removed references to gender which has distorted the meaning.

Now that Gay couples are legally permitted to marry, in their eyes they feel they fulfill the criteria to enter the priesthood whether Gay or otherwise. Apparently the only reason Gay men are prevented currently is because they're not legally married. That's all set to change when the law goes into effect in NZ this coming September.

It's all completely twisted.

Edited by Dave

Amazing how far they will go isn't it?

Most often those (scientistists, philosophers, psychologists, etc.) who promote the acceptance and tolerance of homosexuality through their scientific research means and "ostensible" facts are almost always gay themselves - just as proven in the video provided below.

I don't know if any of you have seen this before but this is how corrupted false religion has become - keep in mind that there are places in his speech that there is no answer for scripturally but he will immediately play to the listeners emotions. Never mind what God says --- my feelings are hurt and I need love too. Listen carefully to what he's doing if you can stomach it.

Interesting it took him two years to prepare a one hour paper justifying homosexuality when, it would take less than 30 (even 15) minutes to Biblically prove this young man’s theories as wrong.  Notice the twist and turns he had to take in order to posture himself to theoretically agree with his own theories.  IMO, he was not convincing at all and his lecture appeared more of an emotional plea. I'm not sure this man could brainwash anyone with his lecture other than himself. On another note, the United Methodist Church is well-known for her belief in homosexuality and evolution, two highly disputed theories... with biblical facts. May Jehovah enter his mind and alleviate this poor young man’s confusion.

This homosexual thing astounds me. Astounds me. Who would have thought that individuals would make what goes on in the privacy of their bedroom a political issue. It is beyond disgusting. My brother, "came out". I told him, "I will make you a deal. You do not discuss what goes on in your bedroom, and neither will I." Last time I saw him. Have not heard from him in more years then I can remember. And I was not unkind. But, over and over, I have found out that people, even family members, will condem themselves, in that they know how we believe, will not change what we believe, and they fade away. Just gone. And that is sort of okay.

They break a law of Jehovah's, and there is no limit to their sin. Pedophelia, incest.....

I know a program came on TV regarding lesbian nuns. Off it went. I thought, I do not want that in my memory bank. Then our CO said some of the friends had actually watched it. They told him about it. How thankful I was to not be one of them.

We just have to protect our selves and families. If honest hearted ones want to escape, now is the time. If not, let them roll in the mire. It is not our busuness, and Jehovah will take care of it.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 3 weeks later...

What has been bothering me so much about this is that just being a christian you are automatically suspect of being a judgmental jerk, and promoting hate. However for those that will listen its a good chance to show the difference between christians and true christians. We don't hate anyone, nor do we do the judging. Active homosexuals are sinning, but so is everyone else having sex outside of marriage.

Gay christians have the same issue as heteros, that of not acting on our sinful desires.

"I dont want that in my memory bank" .....classic miss bea!

They are sinners..... Desperate for Jehovahs kingdom....i would say Practising homosexuality just makes them more difficult to reach the more it is promoted as natural. I feel sorry for all who are estranged from Jehovah.

What has been bothering me so much about this is that just being a christian you are automatically suspect of being a judgmental jerk, and promoting hate. However for those that will listen its a good chance to show the difference between christians and true christians. We don't hate anyone, nor do we do the judging. Active homosexuals are sinning, but so is everyone else having sex outside of marriage.

Gay christians have the same issue as heteros, that of not acting on our sinful desires.

I agree with you Jaylyn... that's how I answer when someone asks about how we stand on the gay thing... it's as wrong as adultery, we should hate the actions not the people...

we had a recent wt where a brother with gay tendences told about his constant fight... it's not something that goes away lightly... it's the same self containment that exists on a straight man that has a wife which suffered from an horrible accident and can't have sex anymore...

Edited by jayrtom