JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What Is In Your Frig Right Now?

I was wondering this because I have several unidentified items in there at present.  You know the ones.  The leftovers you hate to throw out because they cost money.  So you put them in there thinking you will have them the next day.  It doesn't happen.  Then the next days leftovers  go in front and so on and so on.  Pretty soon you have no dishes in your cabinet because they are all holding leftovers in the frig.  You hate to throw it out because, well, it costs money.  So finally you break down and have to make the time to clean out the frig.  Ummm, I wonder what this was?  You pry off the lid and look in another container and for the life of you --you can not ever remember having anything that remotely looked like that.  And what is all that with the gray fuzz?  A science project gone wrong.  Thats when the frig gets cleaned out.  Why do we do this over and over again?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

As you say Les. Its the waiste factor. My kids have become fussy eaters. So some goes in the fridge.

I am reminded of the poor kids in Africa that could & would love something.

Now I ziplock bag most & use the freezer.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

If it was up to me to manage the fridge, it would probably end up just as you describe Leslie. Thankfully, my wife is more disciplined and creative when it comes to food.

But if there's one thing I have noticed when it comes to leftovers, especially meat dishes like stews, curries, lasagnes, etc. is that they always seem to taste so much better the next day or 2 after they were cooked. It must have something to do with the marinading process that must continue after the cooking is completed. Slow cooked meat dishes are always very flavorsome.

That's a real good incentive for me to use up the leftovers and not waste them. Besides that, I often get confused looking in our fridge. Lots of foreign language labels. Just as well my wife knows what she's doing with them all.

I just need to not make so much at one time.  If I were better at eyeballing how much was enough, I wouldn't have so many little bowls and containers stuffed into our fridge, which is what usually prevents me from finding things I put in there much, much too long ago!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Now there is almost nothing in our frig.  I bit the bullet and cleaned it out.  All the little bowls of furry things--BAM--gone.  All the watery produce--gone.  Just bottles of condiments and a jug of sweet ice tea.  A a bottle of red for the beef burgundy I intend to make this weekend.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Alas!  My frig is so packed I can't get any food in it.  My husband says we have a refigerator of condiments.  Ketchup, mustard, stone ground mustard, hot mustard, honey mustard, Grey Poupon, hoisin, sweet and sour, black bean sauce, teriyaki sauce, Kalamata olives, spanish olives, blue cheese stuffed olives, martini olives, pickles in sweet, kosher, relished, and sour varieties, tahini, anchovy, and garlic pastes, every kind of hot sauce you can imagine for all kinds of pepper varieties.  And that is just what is in the door.  Shall I start naming what is on the shelves?  Cooking is my favorite past time but my waistline is keeping up too well.  Maybe it is time to simplify my frig as well.

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."

I wanna come cook too. My fridge just got half cleaned. Got rid of bad salad. And some ribs hubby didn't eat. I don't have the leftoever problem. My husband almost always Never eats leftovers. Im pretty good at making sure that i cook just more than enough and if there are leftovers they turn into omelette surprise for me the next day. Then i have new salad. Lots of the sauces and or condiments, oranges apples plums, salame, cheese, almond milk, coconut water, yogurt,mango juice, eggs, egg whites some new really good salsa. I think thats about it. It still a mess though.

I was visiting a sister, and she asked me to help clean out her frig.  Well, when I opened the door, it was like looking at the June 2013 Awake, on Hoarding (a garage stuffed with things).  It made me laugh!  It took me and her 3 hours to clean it out.  She had so much, that she forgot that it was in there.  We both found meat (in the freezer) from 2008 and 09.  That went in the trash, she liked to put cans (have no idea and I didn't ask her why) in the frig.  The cans were rusted out and puffy.  YUCK.  Anyway, she removed he upper & bottom shelves and we put them in her dishwashing machine.  That took 2 turns around the block to get whatever grew on it off (she wore gloves and so did I).  She had massive amounts of jars of unopen mayo, ketchup, peanut butter.  It all went, cause the expire dates on them dated back to 2005, 06, 07, and one that was dated 2010.   We found fruit or at least that's what we thought it was.  We didn't explore to see what it really was.  TRASH!   By the time we were done, there were 10 full bags of trash.  A brother came by and took them out.  She and I could not lift them.  If we had, we both would have been in the hospital E.R. 

Now she has what she needs for the week or 2 weeks.  Her son came down to visit and was so happy to see that clean, clear frig!   That was some chore, but sitting on a chair with a backsupport, stopping every few minutes to rest (that's what took so long), cause she and I aren't in the best of shape to do stuff like that.  But it was done, and she was very grateful for the help.   And yes, we found tupper ware with (hard to describe) opend one up, it didn't smell, but it looked like a bluish green beard had grown on whatever it was in it.   We both felt like were in the Twlight Zone!

• 4 weeks later...

I compost everything. You can take wire and make it round where it meets and tie the wire ends together and compost easily that way or dig a hole dump it in and mix some of the dirt that you took out of the hole into what you threw in. I have to keep my compost where the dogs won't get in it, so I use chicken wire and t-posts. You can add your grass clippings to it, your fall leaves, anything that is biodegradable. You may want to put some water to it in the summer time about 2-3 times a week the moisture helps it ferment. 

I should lend you all my son for a day each week! He'd keep your leftovers eaten and your fridge would be empty! He is 21.

Whenever there is a good leftover and I would go to bed thinking that would be good to have for lunch tomorrow - he'd eat it during the night! So now I put my portion in a container and hide it in the freezer for my lunch. My daughter puts a note on hers with a do not eat warning.

Someday when my son moves out, maybe I'll understand the leftover fuzz dilemna!!

I keep very little in my fridge.  In fact I have bare shelves most of the time.  I am a get it as I need it type of person.  Meaning, when I make supper, I will go to the grocery store and purchase what I'm making.  I have nothing stored up, and I probably should.

I'm  with you, Sharon! 

Especially now, when I do not have any frig at all. 

The best way of life, as to me!   :lol:

"Absolute rubbish”