Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

CHecker

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    12,669
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    12

CHecker's Achievements

Grand Master

Grand Master (14/14)

  • Dedicated
  • Very Popular
  • Reacting Well
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges

23k

Reputation

1

Community Answers

  1. I just assumed that most people knew what second sleep was. I learned years ago when I was curious about Edison's crazy sleep habits as I've always had sleep issues. I remember hearing the living room clock dong on each hour then falling asleep at around 1 only to get up at 6 for work or school. Second sleep was universally the norm: Understanding the Two-Sleep Cycle Biphasic Sleep: Also known as segmented or bimodal sleep, this routine split the night into two distinct blocks of rest separated by a quiet waking interval called "the watch". The First Sleep: People typically retired to bed early soon after dusk (around 8:00 or 9:00 PM) and slept for roughly four hours. The Midnight Waking: Around midnight, people naturally woke up for one to three hours, remaining calm and alert. They used this time to pray, read, talk, tend the fire, check livestock, or be intimate. The Second Sleep: After the middle-of-the-night break, individuals returned to bed for their second sleep, which lasted until dawn. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] Why the Habit Changed Preindustrial Norm: Documented widely by historian A. Roger Ekirch, this pattern was completely normal across Western civilization and preindustrial societies before the Industrial Revolution. Rise of Artificial Light: The widespread adoption of cheap artificial lighting and structured factory schedules in the 18th and 19th centuries pushed bedtimes later and compressed human rest into a single, continuous 8-hour block (monophasic sleep). Scientific Insight: Modern experiments show that when humans are exposed to long periods of natural darkness without artificial lighting, they naturally revert to this two-phase sleeping rhythm. Edison: Thomas Edison is the famous historical figure widely known for taking regular short naps at his desk and around his laboratory, despite publicly claiming he barely slept. [1, 2] The Habit: While Edison publicly boasted about working long hours on very little nocturnal sleep, he routinely took short catnaps and power naps right at his desk or on cots placed around his workplace. [1, 2]
  2. In cart work I look forward to being in a park with a 1/4 mile walking path. People bring their dogs. I got to love up on Freddy the dachshund today. Sweet baby.
  3. Back on Pinterest to find out how to use the baked chicken, broccoli and beefy rice from the freezer. So I had a can of mushroom soup and Campbell's cheese soup, some dried out seasoned croutons and shredded cheese to join the party. I put the soup in a pot and heated it up. Added the baggies of rice and chicken and thawed broccoli till all warmed up. Poured in a medium glass dish with parchment paper (why work too hard right?) Added a couple handfuls of cheese and crushed croutons. 350F (176C) for 25 minutes till the top is browned. Man-child went for seconds. Now what to make with the other bags of rice, chicken and peas and carrots. Pinterest here I come.... Note: when you thaw your broccoli put it in a strainer in the sink to thaw to get rid of some water. When thawed squeeze out the water, in a casserole its ok for it to be ugly 😃
  4. I just love the way that's serving Jehovah transforms us into beautiful people. I mean that figuratively of course. But in the case that I want to talk about at the moment it's a literal meaning. A rather rough looking woman started studying with a sister shortly after I arrived here at my new kingdom hall, her hair was not only unkept but was choppy looking. Her skin was deeply wrinkled and kind of gray and her teeth looked funny. But she was studying faithfully and was coming to every meeting. She got baptized at our last circuit assembly which was oh I don't know four or five months ago, you should see her now. Her hair has grown out and is styled not in a fancy way but in a more organized delicate fashion. Her face has lost that ashen look and someone has helped her to apply a delicate amount of makeup. Her clothing now is beautiful, clean and modest. Tonight at the meeting I just marveled at the complete transformation of this woman since getting baptized. This is what serving jehovah does for us, we just look different. Better. Away from the hate of the world. The stress that satan system puts on us and the things this world says is normal will break a person down. She no longer has those influences but has us as her new family. And she's beautiful.
  5. My son and I realized that to say a snarky comment to each other the comeback from either of us would be the same so it's like we're arguing with ourselves! HA!
  6. Don't brush your teeth with your left hand......a toothbrush works better 😃 My son loves dad jokes 😄
  7. I think we'll be doing more than carpooling. How about house sharing. Growing up in the 70's it was all about home food preservation, prepping. This has been something I find hard not to do as I've grown older, so I have many things prepped, kind of survival gear, water purifiers and solar. (Thanks mom and dad). At least I'll have items to share with the friends. You can make your own water collection device you know, Google it, its not hard.
  8. I'm sooo not ready for winter! I do have a coat now after suffering through 2 winters, a hand-me-down from my son and a small 4-wheel drive. But if it snows like they say it will.....nope, im staying home sipping mocha latte.
  9. I was working till late on the 10th, tried to sleep in but got a call at 7am about it. Tuned in to see the 2nd plane fly in
  10. I dont know the "d" word either but the vulgar "c" word is what a trecherous man would call a woman. In the UK its used as a light hearted slang insult to a friend. Here its unacceptable! A visiting Brit used it here and by the way the store responded he thought he was going to be tarred and feathered! He felt so bad.
  11. I agree with you on reading labels, they add in so much garbage like high fructose corn syrup. Its in everything now, no wonder we have an over weight issue. I prefer to make my food from ingredients. Funny- my daughter used to look for something to snack on and complained all we had was ingredients!! Ha! Good mom. Plus I like our home cooked food and trying other cultures food. Ive never had gnocchi, I'll try it one day when I can buy Kamut flour, I switched to Kamut to see if it helps my gut. Mediterranean chicken sounds good. I have a roasted chicken to debone and a marinating pork loin to cook up tomorrow. Maybe some day we can visit and cook for each other 🩷
  12. President Nixon Richard Nixon famously gave his defiant double "V for victory" sign on August 9, 1974, as he departed the White House lawn after resigning the presidency in disgrace. [1, 2] (I remember watching this) Standing on the steps of the presidential helicopter (then Army One / Marine One), Nixon turned back to the gathered crowd, smiled, and threw both arms up in his signature gesture. This act deeply offended and alienated many critics and citizens who viewed the celebratory "victory" sign as incredibly tone-deaf, defiant, and hubristic given that he was leaving office to escape imminent impeachment over the Watergate scandal. [1, 2, 3, 4] When the V-sign is shown with the palm facing inward toward the person making the sign, it is offensive in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa. [1] But he also offended another country by using the 'ok' sign, he definitely didnt do his 'customs' research. The "OK" Sign (Nixon): Nixon did cause immense offense during a trip to South America, but it was because he stepped off his airplane and gave the "OK" hand gesture (thumb and index finger forming a circle), which functions as a vulgar insult in that region. [1] We need to learn the customs of other countries. There is a word commonly used in the United Kingdom that's HIGHLY offensive to our culture, when British people come here they'll use it and deeply offend us. Cannot wait till we all speak the same language.
  13. I was on Pinterest again (back away Cheryl, back away! 😄) Man child Adam loves pasta, he used to make garlic noodles after mid-week meeting, so I see this recipe for simple garlic noodle with ground beef and parmaesan, looks ok so I made it tonight. Wow!!! Simple and so delish, a new favorite for the man-child.
  14. Currently 95 on the way to 97, feels like 103. Melting temperature
  15. Source: Facebook https://share.google/XyGjyi4c0ZB8J4KMc Also this just in with missing people Significant Flash Flooding Closes Phantom Ranch and North Kaibab Trail - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) https://share.google/Fzz3YVcITyJNtqbAC

CHecker last won the day on July 10 2020

CHecker had the most liked content!

About CHecker

  • Birthday 07/01/1961

Member's Public Information

  • Gender
    Sister
  • First Name
    Cheryl
  • Relationship Status
    Very happily single
  • Displayed Location
    Knoxville, Tnn USA
  • Publisher
    Yes
  • Baptized
    March 1987

How I Found the Truth

  • How I found the Truth
    My childrens babysitter, I was a tough sell but she was tougher! Thank-you Jehovah!

My Hobbies & Interests

  • My Interests
    I'm reinventing myself so I have, as yet, to discover what my new interests are. To be determined.....
  • My favorite books
    Of course the theocratic is top but I love Clive Cussler.
  • My favorite music
    Light Jazz- Rippingtons, Nora Jones or blues
  • My favorite quotes
    Jehovah's Got This!

Recent Profile Visitors

102,440 profile views

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)