JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The NFL Has Decided to Fine Teams if Players Kneel During the National Anthem

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2156 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is going to interesting come September 2018...

(ATLANTA) — NFL owners approved a new policy Thursday aimed at addressing the firestorm over national anthem protests sparked by Colin Kaepernick and polarized by President Trump, permitting players to stay in the locker room during the “The Star-Spangled Banner” but requiring them to stand if they come to the field.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the change was approved unanimously by the owners at their spring meeting in Atlanta, but it was met with immediate skepticism by the players’ union.

“We want people to be respectful of the national anthem. We want people to stand,” Goodell said. “That’s all personnel, and to make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That’s something that we think we owe. We’ve been very sensitive on making sure that we give players choices, but we do believe that moment is an important moment and one that we are going to focus on.”

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5288795/nfl-national-anthem-kneeling-rule

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Fixed link

"Trump’s desire to force patriotism with NFL kneeling ban echoes Nazi salute incident in 1933"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/comparisons-drawn-nfl-protest-ban-nazi-germany-article-1.4010138

President Trump's condemnation of National Football League players who kneel during the national anthem bears a striking resemblance to the Third Reich's punishment of a defiant soccer club.

"Stay Home, Nazis Tell Footballers" was the Jan. 6, 1934, Daily News headline on a story from Metz, France, after German soccer players declined to perform the infamous Hitler salute prior to a Christmas Day match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This isn't going over well with worldly leftists that I know. They feel that the NFL is stifling their right to "peaceful protest" by making them stay in the locker room, out of sight, out of mind.

Meanwhile, the right-wingers in my family are praising the decision, because, well, you know..... 'Merica!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Makes me think of friends that attend sporting events that go use the bathroom or go to concession stands for food and drink during the national anthem... Will stadiums and arenas stop 🛑 selling things during the national anthem and make things difficult for the friends? My thoughts are let's watch the patriotic fervor escalate and spread throughout for all events.... I personally believe that this system has a purpose to make everyday living difficult did God's people, young and old.

I heard y'all, "DUH!", in unison on that last comment in my post!

36 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

This isn't going over well with worldly leftists that I know. They feel that the NFL is stifling their right to "peaceful protest" by making them stay in the locker room, out of sight, out of mind.

Meanwhile, the right-wingers in my family are praising the decision, because, well, you know..... 'Merica!

I'm with the 'they are employees' crowd. 

These players are being paid huge amounts for their prowess on the field of play.  If they want to 'protest', do it on their own time...call a press conference,  have a parade.     I don't care...

Do the owners want to pay them to kneel during the song?      I don't care...

Do the owners not want to pay them to kneel during the song?      I don't care...

Will I watch any football this year? ..sure will, I love a good contest. It's like a complete chess game, for every play. Everyone needs to be perfect,  everytime. Since that's impossible,  I enjoy the tactics and strategies of the challenges. 

Just like baseball,  I love watching it...

Just like MotoGP,  love it...

Ha! If that was my daughter she would have on helmet, mouthguard, elbow guard, hip guard, knee guard, shin guard, ankle guard, pinky toe guard, etc... 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Tbs77 said:

Ha! If that was my daughter she would have on helmet, mouthguard, elbow guard, hip guard, knee guard, shin guard, ankle guard, pinky toe guard, etc... emoji23.pngemoji23.png🤣🤣

Ya, but, she's 44 now, and could/would knock me out if I tried putting any of that on her....

But, I did see a lad pitching today wearing a mask and a pink tu-tu, so theres that---

Looking at it strictly from a objective view - this is probably the second best solution the NFL could have seteled on.

Most of the fans are there to see a sports competition - not a "protest" or "statement" made by individual players. Looking at it from an objective perspective, just suppose that some of the players decided to make a statement about other things - how would it look if, in addition to those players that are kneeling, what if some came out with only their underwear on :eek: while others came out wearing a :indian: and yet others came out waving automatic assault rifles while others came out holding signs with a red circle with a slash through it 🚫over the letters NRA and all the players who came from other countries came out waving the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 from their country of origin .....

Ludacris, you say - but, if they are going to allow the kneeling, they would almost have to allow all/any types of protests/statements. However, since they are employers, they can just say we do not allow any protest/statements.

Now, the actual best solution would have been to simply eliminate the anthem from the game. If the players just ran out onto the field and the game started there would be no issue about this. However, this would not go over well with many of the fans :nope: so, even though this would be the best solution - it would never be implemented.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Its funny in this world you have in the U.S. the laws that protect your right for free speech. Yet everyone is up in arms about what these guys are doing. You can go and say just about anything you want until you say something someone doesn't like. Then they will crush you under their boots.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

2 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

Its funny in this world you have in the U.S. the laws that protect your right for free speech. Yet everyone is up in arms about what these guys are doing. You can go and say just about anything you want until you say something someone doesn't like. Then they will crush you under their boots.

The US first amendment is strictly limited to the government's role in stifling speech. If the NFL, a privately owned corporation, wants to restrict its employees from using their job as a platform for public statements, they are entirely within their rights to do so.

Or put in Witness terms, someone working as a cashier has a legally protected right to participate in the field ministry while off the clock, but there would be no legal protection nor moral sympathy if that cashier was fired for handing out tracts while ringing up customers.

29 minutes ago, Stavro said:

The US first amendment is strictly limited to the government's role in stifling speech. If the NFL, a privately owned corporation, wants to restrict its employees from using their job as a platform for public statements, they are entirely within their rights to do so. 

Or put in Witness terms, someone working as a cashier has a legally protected right to participate in the field ministry while off the clock, but there would be no legal protection nor moral sympathy if that cashier was fired for handing out tracts while ringing up customers. 

Brother, this is basically how it is. You said it.

I understand the NFL is a for-profit business as well, and if kneeling is negatively impacting their ability to make money, or if it infuriates their customer base, they should definitely outlaw kneeling and make a rule that anyone who kneels will not work for them. As you say, its their right. But their solution only exacerbates the issue because those who stay in the lockerrooms will be viewed as "anti-American traitors". So staying in the lockerroom is NO DIFFERENT than kneeling.

Their making the rule is also no different than the organization outlawing open dissent. We reserve the right to set the standards for active membership status.

Edited by Bob

7 hours ago, Stavro said:

6 hours ago, Bob said:

Brother, this is basically how it is. You said it.

I understand the NFL is a for-profit business as well, and if kneeling is negatively impacting their ability to make money, or if it infuriates their customer base, they should definitely outlaw kneeling and make a rule that anyone who kneels will not work for them. As you say, its their right. But their solution only exacerbates the issue because those who stay in the lockerrooms will be viewed as "anti-American traitors". So staying in the lockerroom is NO DIFFERENT than kneeling.

Their making the rule is also no different than the organization outlawing open dissent. We reserve the right to set the standards for active membership status.

Those freedoms private businesses have that governments do not are also limited.  Yes, an employer can legally prevent a witness from preaching while on the clock, but said employer cannot legally implement a policy that forces a Christian to lose the right to not engage or perform certain tasks. 

An employer does not have the right to force anyone to lie or steal. 

An employer does not have the right to force a Christian medical worker to perform an abortion or give a blood transfusion. 

An employer does not have the right to force anyone to stand for the anthem.  Yes, staying in the locker room is an alternative but I'm not sure about the legality of that. 

https://mission-bbq.com/why-do-we-salute-the-national-anthem-every-day

This restaurant chain plays the national anthem daily.  In addition to the NFL, all sporting events play the anthem.  The people employed by the stadium are also affected.  These employees legally have the right to have an alternative to standing for the anthem.  Forcing these private employees to stand for the anthem is illegal. 

Standing for the anthem is not an integral requirement of performing any job.  It would only be integral if the job was to stand for the anthem. 

This wave of patriotism is really anti patriotic.  Military personnel take an oath to protect and defend the constitution.  Those dead servicemen and women died defending my right to not be forced to stand for the anthem. To force someone to stand dishonor their sacrifice and spits on their Graves. 

If the finger pointing could be narrowed to where the fault really lies - it would not be the NFL Owners nor the players .... not even the ones who "protest" by kneeling.

If the MEDIA would not make such a big deal of it - constantly talking about it and showing close-ups of every player who kneels the matter would die a natural death. Either the players who kneel would get tired of kneeling or the fans would not really notice or care.

But

• Every time a player kneels the media makes a big deal of it.
  • They show the player(s) close-up while the anthem is being played instead of showing either the flag or the person singing the anthem like they use to.
  • During the halftime break, instead of just talking about the game, the commentators have to, again, bring attention to the player(s) who kneeled
  • The next day and through the week the talking heads on the sports TV and Radio talk shows bring up the kneeling and, often, spend more time talking about the kneeling players than they do about the game and it's outcome

And, if anyone comments that the media are the catalyst for all the fuss - what do they say ..... Freedom of Speech/Press

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Another perspective.. The racial one. Like I said September 2018 is going to be very interesting:

There would be no NFL without black players. They can resist the anthem policy. Banning protests is obviously about race.

By Shaun Harper

May 24, 2018 at 11:16 AM

The NFL and its 32 team owners have introduced a policy requiring players to stand for the national anthem. Those refusing to do so have two options: Stay in the locker room until “The Star-Spangled Banner” ends or risk being fined for noncompliance. This is an obvious violation of players’ First Amendment rights. And the issue is inescapably about race.

According to data from the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, 94 percent of NFL franchise owners and 75 percent of head coaches are white. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and most of the league’s top executives are white. Blacks own majority stakes in none of the 32 teams. Only seven NFL head coaches in 2017 were black. Yet 70 percent of NFL players are black. This new policy clearly signals white control of black players’ bodies and rights to kneel in peaceful protest against police brutality and other racial issues during the national anthem. Put differently, a majority white group of overseers created and will enforce a policy restricting black players’ freedom of expression. The power is seemingly not with those who use their bodies to earn $7.8 billion for their teams and the league, but rather with whites who profit most from their labor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/05/24/there-would-be-no-nfl-without-black-players-they-can-resist-the-anthem-policy/

This issue is going to effect our free speech eventually, too. From this article:

"Meadows and other conservatives in the hearing fiercely argued that speech zones are unconstitutional."

In our territory we can setup for public witnessing in a park that has a free speech area the size of a parking lot, I meant space, with limited foot traffic.

Correction: the size of a parking space.

3 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

This issue is going to effect our free speech eventually, too. From this article:

"Meadows and other conservatives in the hearing fiercely argued that speech zones are unconstitutional."

In our territory we can setup for public witnessing in a park that has a free speech area the size of a parking lot, I meant space, with limited foot traffic.

Correction: the size of a parking space.

Which is why it's important to highlight our choice is not about defiance or protest and we do not intend to draw attention to ourselves.