JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Baby can't be named "Messiah" (Tennessee)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3903 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

NBC station WBIR reported that the parents of the 7-month-old went to a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court because they could not agree on his surname.

However, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew decided Thursday that the baby, Messiah DeShawn Martin, should be renamed “Martin DeShawn McCullough.”

“The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ,” Ballew said, according to WBIR-TV.

I changed the title of the thread to accurately represent the story.
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Just a note about this story after doing a little research.

A judge CANNOT change just ANY baby's name. BUT - these "parents" are fighting each other in court about the baby's LAST name - as in who gets custody. In the process, the judge called into question the baby's FIRST name and has ordered it changed.

Can you imagine naming your baby Messiah? Why not name him Lord, God or Allah and see how well that goes over when he goes to school.

Honestly, I wonder what some "parents" are thinking when they name their children   :nope: Clearly it is NOT what is in the best interests of the child!!!!

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Jerry, We had Muslim neighbors who named their son Allah!

I am SHOCKED that a Muslim family would name their child that. He will no doubt have to hide that name as he grows up - if he stays Muslim.

Soon .....

Jerry,

First, THANK YOU for quoting the pertinent portion of the story so I would not have to follow the link ... I wish more posters would do that.

Second, about 35 years ago I worked with a guy whose name was "Jehovah Godbolt" ..... yes, that was his real name. He had a brother named "Northern" and a sister with an equally "interesting" name .... their parents said they got all the names from the Bible.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Talk about a lot to live up to... it would have been worse, they could have given him a first name The and Messsiah as his second name... still people call their kids "Prince" (no disrespect to our brother) or "Queenie", Sarah means "Princess" and I'm sure there's some unfortunate somewhere called "King" (not Elvis, just King as a first name). 

Muslims call their children Mohammed so maybe for them it's a sign of respect...  I Wonder if anyone has tried to name their child "Jehovah" and I would genuinely fear for them if they did ...  Anyone calling their child "Allah" probably wouldn't live to tell the tale.

Edited by sunshine

I  heard this story on the news today Am interested to know the outcome..

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Talk about a lot to live up to... it would have been worse, they could have given him a first name The and Messsiah as his second name... still people call their kids "Prince" (no disrespect to our brother) or "Queenie", Sarah means "Princess" and I'm sure there's some unfortunate somewhere called "King" (not Elvis, just King as a first name). 

Muslims call their children Mohammed so maybe for them it's a sign of respect...  I Wonder if anyone has tried to name their child "Jehovah" and I would genuinely fear for them if they did ...  Anyone calling their child "Allah" probably wouldn't live to tell the tale.

Yes there is a Brother that use to go to congregation named King. 

Since our last name is More, a brother in our congregation said that we should name our firstborn "Minnie" and then when number 2 came along he said he should be "Lot" and when the third one came, I told the brother that I was naming this one and it's name was "No"!  :crackwhip:  Well, needless to say that was not the names they ended up with!!

We had some friends in my last congregation with the last name of "Walker". When we found out they were expecting a boy, we tried to get them to name him "Luke Sky" as the first and middle names, but they wouldn't go for it! "Luke Sky Walker" would have been so cool!  :lol:

That happens to be my last name Musky! I have one son but I failed to name him Luke Sky! Perhaps next time...lol

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

We had some friends in my last congregation with the last name of "Walker". When we found out they were expecting a boy, we tried to get them to name him "Luke Sky" as the first and middle names, but they wouldn't go for it! "Luke Sky Walker" would have been so cool!  :lol:

My wife agreed that if we were to ever have a son I could name him Lucas Skyler.  That was as close as she'd come.

Can you imagine naming your baby Messiah? Why not name him Lord, God or Allah and see how well that goes over when he goes to school.

And yet, many Latinos are named Jesús and nobody complains.   What's the difference?

And yet, many Latinos are named Jesús and nobody complains.   What's the difference?

It seems there are a lot of people in USA already named Messiah, so really it is matter of the judge imposing her beliefs on someone else. Shaky ground for a judicial system!

I just question why someone would choose to call their child by that name.

Pretty soon they'll be telling us, No door to door, no street work, no letter writing, no phone witnessing.  Hey, their doing that now!  Or at least their trying to silence our preaching work in subtle ways... Russia, Eteria, Europe, England, France.... the lists goes on and on and here too, removing children from people's homes just because they give them a name that doesn't suit their agenda or the names are offensive and they don't want to insult others.  Give me a break!  I guess if I had a small carney, and named it Adolf, they'd kill my bird, and either fine me $$$ or arrest me.   You can see the insanity that stands behind it all  - The Ruler of This World!  

Edited by allabord4jah

Pretty soon they'll be telling us, No door to door, no street work, no letter writing, no phone witnessing.  Hey, their doing that now!  Or at least their trying to silence our preaching work in subtle ways... Russia, Eteria, Europe, England, France.... the lists goes on and on and here too, removing children from people's homes just because they give them a name that doesn't suit their agenda or the names are offensive and they don't want to insult others.  Give me a break!  I guess if I had a small carney, and named it Adolf, they'd kill my bird, and either fine me $$$ or arrest me.   You can see the insanity that stands behind it all  - The Ruler of This World!  

Just to be clear - no one was "removing children from people's homes just because they give them a name that doesn't suit their agenda or the names are offensive and they don't want to insult others." These 2 "parents" (term used loosely) went to court to get his last name changed, but instead the judge ordered his first name changed. They still have the child - no one "took him away". They also have the ability to appeal and are. This was all about which parent would get welfare because of the child, but the judge threw a monkey wrench in it for them. 

In the US - you can name your child ANYTHING you want. I am sure there are even some children walking around with a name that starts with F. But when you go to court and ask the court to do something with your kids name - well you ask for it - you get it!

To me this is more a cautionary tale of - beware what you ask for - you might get something completely different. The Bible verse at 1 Tim 6:8 comes to mind -  "So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things."

This is not a story showing that judges are out of control. It is showing "parents" are. Using their children for money - what is the word they use for that?

Soon .....

You are correct, but there were two parents (living here in the U.S.A.)  who's two children were removed from their care, and it had to do with the naming of their children.  As far I know, they haven't gotten them back, and his wife is expecting again, and they said they would not give him/her a common name.  Am not saying that right now, particularly in this country they are "removing" children from their parents everywhere based on what they name their children after.   The parents are the one's who are using their kids as pawns for their own self interests.  The children have no idea what in the world is going on. 

Edited by allabord4jah

You are correct, but there were two parents (living here in the U.S.A.)  who's two children were removed from their care, and it had to do with the naming of their children.  As far I know, they haven't gotten them back, and his wife is expecting again, and they said they would not give him/her a common name.  Am not saying that right now, particularly in this country they are "removing" children from their parents everywhere based on what they name their children after.   The parents are the one's who are using their kids as pawns for their own self interests.  The children have no idea what in the world is going on. 

Has this story made the news anywhere? Is it possible to post a link to it? It would be interesting to see the background information of that story.

Soon .....

I sent two posts from two different news papers about this father.  He is divorced and his X-wife I believe has custody of the children he named after Nazis.  But the children were removed from him because of some issues him and his children besides naming them after individuals whose names are remembered for the murder of millions of people, including our brothers/sisters. 

So that story goes - 

"The white supremacist, 40, is the father of eight kids to four women and lives off government benefits.

Campbell has four children with his third wife - named Adolf Hitler Campbell, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, Honz­lynn Jeannie Campbell, and 19-month-old Hons Heinrich.

They have all been removed from their father's custody amid domestic violence allegations.

Last week Campbell's ex-wife Cathy Bowlby claimed Campbell was a wife-beating tyrant who was obsessed with the devil.

During their three-year marriage, he tried to name their first-born Lucifer because he believed he was the devil. But Cathy said she talked him out of it and suggested he take their father's name instead."

I can't imagine why a judge would take his children away :lol1: How dare they!!  :nope: This person sounds like a fine upstanding citizen that my taxpaying dollars does well in supporting!  :eek:

Seriously, that is just another story - NOT of judicial imprudence, but one of paternal imprudence. Were I the judge I would have recommended something other than just changing the childrens names :wink: As he likes the German Reich so much - perhaps he could be subject to their laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization ).

Soon .....

Here is a good sum up and update to the Hitler story. It seems child abuse and death threats were the prime reason for taking the kids away.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3383144

Soon .....