JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

Big Bird visited our feeders:

Turkey ONE.jpg

Turkey THREE.jpg

We have wild turkeys coming into our bird feeders.

They come for the whole kernel corn that we put out for the

squirrels and blue jays.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

13 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Wow, that's cool. Do folks in your area hunt them?

We don't, but 30,000 plus wild turkeys are harvested each year in Michigan, so

somebody sure hunts them.  Michigan is ranked 8th in the nation for Turkey Hunting.

Seems you purchase an application to hunt turkeys and if they draw your name, 

you can buy a license to hunt them.   It's like a Turkey Lottery. :D

Managing These Amazing Birds

Managing wild turkeys in Michigan involves the complex interactions of turkey
populations, their habitat, and their relationship to people. Hunting plays an
important role in managing turkeys by regulating their numbers.

The goal of the spring wild turkey hunting season is to maximize hunter opportunity while
maintaining a satisfactory hunting experience. Limited to bearded turkeys only,
this conservative harvest approach has allowed the continued growth and
expansion of the wild turkey population in Michigan.

Wild turkey hunting in the fall enables the DNR to stabilize or reduce wild turkey numbers in certain areas
of the state to meet local goals based on biological, social, and economic
considerations. License quotas are developed to harvest the desired number
of turkeys to meet the management goal. To help reach these goals, hunters
are encouraged to harvest female turkeys during the fall season. 

2017 Hunting Information

From Jan. 1 - Feb. 1, hunters may apply for one limited-quota license, for
a specific spring turkey hunt unit and season dates. Application fee is $5.

After the drawing, any leftover licenses will be sold until quotas are met. It is
unlawful to obtain or purchase more than one spring turkey hunting license.
Depending on how many hunters apply, leftover licenses may or may not be
available for some hunt units and/or dates.

Spring Turkey License -- $15.00

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

So the license is for 1 turkey per person? Have you ever eaten one? Do they taste different? Gamey?

This sounds like hunting for mountain goat or rams?? Can't remember, but the wife of one of the guys at work won that lottery and she got a ram tag, I think it was. Proudly got her ram. And yes it's for controlling the population without wiping them out.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

So the license is for 1 turkey per person? Have you ever eaten one? Do they taste different? Gamey?

This sounds like hunting for mountain goat or rams?? Can't remember, but the wife of one of the guys at work won that lottery and she got a ram tag, I think it was. Proudly got her ram. And yes it's for controlling the population without wiping them out.

Never tasted wild turkey.

I can imagine, if you don't get a young one, the recipe would be the same as for wild goose:

Ingredients:

1 cedar shingle

1 goose

Place skinned goose on the shingle.

Cook in moderate oven for about forever.

Remove from oven.

Toss goose in the trash.

Divide shingle into portions and serve. 

Laugh Chuckle2.gif

IDK, maybe if it in the slow cooker or pressure cooker??

If we get wild game that's tough we'll cook it for a long time. Makes it great..... but then again making pepperoni or jerky out of it is good too:lol: Turkey jerky?? Ummmm

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I have had smoked wild turkey - it tasted really good and was so tender if fell apart. There was no "game taste" ... had I not been told it was "wild" I would not have known.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Cool John, let's apply for the lottery and see if we can get a tag. We'll bag ourselves a couple turkeys, combine our smokers and have a feast with Ross! I'm 'game'!:lol1:

Rose's recipe for goose reminds me of how to cook liver, beef liver that is.

In a small roasting pan put a layer of onion. Next a layer of floured beef liver.:chef:

Alternate onion and liver layers ending with layer of onion.

Add a little, OK a lot of tomato juice to just cover top layer.

Bake in oven till done. About 1 1/2 hours at 325 F

Separate sauce from liver and put sauce on boiled potatoes. :eat:

You can toss the liver or smother with HP sauce and eat it.:D

Edited by pnutts

auto uncorrect

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

7 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

let's apply for the lottery and see if we can get a tag.

In Florida we do not have a lottery ..... just need a hunting licence ..... unless you own the land you are hunting on - my brother and I do not need a licence to hunt on our land - and, yes, we have wild turkey on our land - although I do not hunt ... but, one of my daughters does. She has been trying to get a deer the last couple of years but those deer are cagey and seem to know when it is hunting season and make themselves scarce.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Old Jeelopy 

we found on our travels last yr heading up North last yr.

1.jpg

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Its one for our Hubbies to keep visiting us wives  aye !!!!

LOL!!!!

2.jpg

Edited by surfergirl

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

25 minutes ago, timpin said:

I didn't see anyone (worthy of) offering/discussing Bible literature or showing a related video

14 minutes ago, Musky said:

So you judge potential sheep by their appearance?

Personally, I don't think I would accept any Bible literature from someone who looked like that, or would I want to see a "related video" he offered to show me. It's my own personal opinion, but I see beards as a symbol of rebellion. Maybe it's just the era and place I was brought up in.

Hey, where have I seen this kind of discussion before? (No wonder I never participated in that one.)

41 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Personally, I don't think I would accept any Bible literature from someone who looked like that, or would I want to see a "related video" he offered to show me. It's my own personal opinion, but I see beards as a symbol of rebellion. Maybe it's just the era and place I was brought up in.

Hey, where have I seen this kind of discussion before? (No wonder I never participated in that one.)

I wasn't implying accepting Bible literature from them or watching one of their videos, I was referring to people we would approach in our ministry. Everyone should be treated as potential sheep. :D

4 minutes ago, Musky said:

I wasn't implying accepting Bible literature from them or watching one of their videos, I was referring to people we would approach in our ministry. Everyone should be treated as potential sheep. :D

Yes. I understood what you meant, and I agree. I was expressing my opinion on people with beards.

I would offer literature to someone with a beard though (even if it's a woman).

Edited by Sheep

When I posted the pic my motivation was based on the common beard thread and many comments made. Was made in jest and not to cause ones to think I was promoting any rebellion or be judgemental. Actually I think the man looked younger and more handsome in the second pic.

Personally I think a well groomed beard is a beautiful thing, on some men. And maybe in the NS, when our thinking will be corrected, our men can have the choice to grow one or not. Reasonably thinking- why would Jehovah cause hair to grow on a man's face and expect him to scrape his face for eternity?? And that goes for us gals too, maybe we can throw the razor away at some point and have it accepted instead of frowned on.