JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Entrusted With Translating "the Sacred Pronouncements of God"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3615 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I didn't think they said the 2013 Bible was a better translation, but that they had made it more understandable, using words the were more popular in our date and time. That's why they are both valuable for learning and teaching. At least I think I remember that point being brought out.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Yes it is a great video. and I believe this was the one shown at the 2013 annual meeting. What is nice about

this video is how it shows that Jehovah's witnesses have used a great variety of Bible translations over the course

of their history. even to the extent of purchasing Bibles in large allotments and then making them available at

wholesale prices. I have, I believe, either 14 or 15 different Bible translations and that is how I acquired the majority

of them.

Then it goes into the special history behind the NWT. of which the Christian Greek Scriptures was first released in

1950, then the complete Bible in 1961 for $1.00. I well remember that old "Green" Bible. Everybody out in field service

used to tell us "real" Bibles are black. So that choice, as well intentioned as it was ( the brothers said green represents

life whereas black represents death ), in the long run,  did not fly. Now the NWT ( 2013 ) is a beautiful soft leather

gray, very dignified. A great improvement over "green". So I loved this tour through our history, from years gone by,

up until, the present. I am also glad this video is on the official JW website, so that any who wish may view it.

GStorrs46

I used this video yesterday at a study. Afterwards we were talking about the importance of using a translation that contains Jehovah's name in all spots where it belongs. Great!

I wish I could have a look at those dossiers that are shown in the video! The translators' notes on why they chose a certain rendering rather than the alternatives. Fascinating! Jehovah's spirit working at full power!