JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

November 2016 Broadcast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2679 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

23 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

I really enjoyed the segment on Quebec.  It was wonderful to see how Jehovah had everything in hand so ultimately the outcome benefited all his people in Quebec as well as the brothers who were brought to trial.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the part on Quebec, since I have lived in that province of Canada since 1987. We have freedom to preach here now, but knowing what was happening here in the 1940s and 50s makes me appreciate the freedom we have even more. I made a study project of our history here when I first came to Quebec, looking up all the references I could find in the publications, such as the 1979 Yearbook. The persecution seemed more real to me at that time. I was serving in a French congregation in Montreal, and in the ministry we often met older ones of that generation who had shared in the hatred of Jehovah's Witnesses in those days. Even in the late 1980s they still had a measure of that hatred, and it showed sometimes more than others. Even the law and the Supreme Court of Canada's decisions in the 1950s couldn't change that; it could only stop them from acting on it, although sometimes narrowly. Some people were still of the opinion that the activities of Jehovah's Witnesses should be limited, despite the changes in the law.

The part made brief references to a brother named Laurier Saumur (w76 pages 690-695; yb79 pages 147 and 150). I had the privilege of meeting Brother Saumur several years ago and talking to him about that era. It was quite an eye-opener, making me wonder how I would react under the same circumstances. That brother has passed away since then.

Surprisingly, no reference was made to Frank Roncarelli (yb79 pages 146 and 151). He was a well-to-do brother, and played an important role in freeing many of the brothers held in jail on bail, only to face an adverse tactic by the premier of Quebec Maurice Duplessis. That tactic boomeranged, and led to the final fight in Canada's Supreme Court. Mr. Duplessis was personally summonsed to appear in court, and he was no match to the questions posed by Glen How, lawyer for the Society. That led to his ultimate downfall. He was personally ordered to pay damages to Mr. Roncarelli, and died six months later.

Now that I am serving in an English congregation things are a little different, a little more calm than they were in French territory. Of course, at the same time the populace has aged and many of those from that era have died off. But not all. I am privileged to have in my congregation a brother and sister, baptized perhaps in the early 1950s, who served faithfully during that era. More so the brother, but he is able to make those happenings in those days become more real to us! Just talking to him gives me goosebumps, making me relive times I never lived through in the first place! He can tell about the tract campaigns they held, at 3 o'clock in the morning, to distribute the Quebec's Burning Hate tract. Of course, they didn't knock on doors at that hour, but just to avoid detection and get the message out to people of what's going on. He told us once about an occasion they were witnessing at night, and suddenly a light appeared that he thought was a car coming around the corner. Thinking it was the police, he jumped a fence beside someone's property to hide, scratching himself on some barbed wire doing so. It only turned out to be someone across the street letting his cat out, turning the light on coming out. He happily jumped back over the fence and just continued distributing the tract. I loved what he said at the end of his experience: "I'd do it all over again!"

It was thought-provoking, making me think that despite all the court victories we had back then (about 10 in the Supreme Court of Canada during the 1950s), and the victories we hear about now with the European Court of Human Rights, that doesn't mean we're on the road to complete freedom everywhere, at least not in this system of things. As we see in Russia now, and experiences from those three brothers imprisoned in Eritrea, brothers in South Korea, and other similar experiences, we are still a minority. Such a reign of terror on the part of an extreme political party could bring an end to all that freedom in an instant. In Canada all they have to do is activate the War Measures Act, and it would be the end of our freedom wherever we are here. Wherever you live in the world, if you're living in a country where you have freedom to preach, appreciate it now and make use of it to the full while it's still here. You never know how much time we have before all that could come to an end.

Edited by Sheep

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the part on Quebec, since I have lived in that province of Canada since 1987. We have freedom to preach here now, but knowing what was happening here in the 1940s and 50s makes me appreciate the freedom we have even more. I made a study project of our history here when I first came to Quebec, looking up all the references I could find in the publications, such as the 1979 Yearbook. The persecution seemed more real to me at that time. I was serving in a French congregation in Montreal, and in the ministry we often met older ones of that generation who had shared in the hatred of Jehovah's Witnesses in those days. Even in the late 1980s they still had a measure of that hatred, and it showed sometimes more than others. Even the law and the Supreme Court of Canada's decisions in the 1950s couldn't change that; it could only stop them from acting on it, although sometimes narrowly. Some people were still of the opinion that the activities of Jehovah's Witnesses should be limited, despite the changes in the law.

The part made brief references to a brother named Laurier Saumur (w76 pages 690-695; yb79 pages 147 and 150). I had the privilege of meeting Brother Saumur several years ago and talking to him about that era. It was quite an eye-opener, making me wonder how I would react under the same circumstances. That brother has passed away since then.

Surprisingly, no reference was made to Frank Roncarelli (yb79 pages 146 and 151). He was a well-to-do brother, and played an important role in freeing many of the brothers held in jail on bail, only to face an adverse tactic by the premier of Quebec Maurice Duplessis. That tactic boomeranged, and led to the final fight in Canada's Supreme Court. Mr. Duplessis was personally summonsed to appear in court, and he was no match to the questions posed by Glen How, lawyer for the Society. That led to his ultimate downfall. He was personally ordered to pay damages to Mr. Roncarelli, and died six months later.

Now that I am serving in an English congregation things are a little different, a little more calm than they were in French territory. Of course, at the same time the populace has aged and many of those from that era have died off. But not all. I am privileged to have in my congregation a brother and sister, baptized perhaps in the early 1950s, who served faithfully during that era. More so the brother, but he is able to make those happenings in those days become more real to us! Just talking to him gives me goosebumps, making me relive times I never lived through in the first place! He can tell about the tract campaigns they held, at 3 o'clock in the morning, to distribute the Quebec's Burning Hate tract. Of course, they didn't knock on doors at that hour, but just to avoid detection and get the message out to people of what's going on. He told us once about an occasion they were witnessing at night, and suddenly a light appeared that he thought was a car coming around the corner. Thinking it was the police, he jumped a fence beside someone's property to hide, scratching himself on some barbed wire doing so. It only turned out to be someone across the street letting his cat out, turning the light on coming out. He happily jumped back over the fence and just continued distributing the tract. I loved what he said at the end of his experience: "I'd do it all over again!"

It was thought-provoking, making me think that despite all the court victories we had back then (about 10 in the Supreme Court of Canada during the 1950s), and the victories we hear about now with the European Court of Human Rights, that doesn't mean we're on the road to complete freedom everywhere, at least not in this system of things. As we see in Russia now, and experiences from those three brothers imprisoned in Eritrea, brothers in South Korea, and other similar experiences, we are still a minority. Such a reign of terror on the part of an extreme political party could bring an end to all that freedom in an instant. In Canada all they have to do is activate the War Measures Act, and it would be the end of our freedom wherever we are here. Wherever you live in the world, if you're living in a country where you have freedom to preach, appreciate it now and make use of it to the full while it's still here. You never know how much time we have before all that could come to an end.

Thank you, Brother Eric, for sharing this information with us and for expanding on what the brothers shared with us on the November segment. It must be quite difficult for them to be able to share such large amounts of information into a specific time frame so to hear some extra information like this is very interesting. :)

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Brother Eric, thank you! I loved reading about it! It reminded me of a talk that Brother Milton Henschel delivered to us in 1987 as zonal superintendent. The theme of his talk was "Let us joyfully partake in Jehovah's victories", and gave us details of what the brothers in Quebec had experienced at that time. He told us about the premier of Quebec Maurice Duplessis, about what Brother Frank Roncarelli did to help the brothers and about the court hearings, how everything was spoken was recorded and then staged on Society radio.

He said that this premier Duplessis, built a bridge with his own name, this bridge fell and after that the name of this premier was never heard again.

Note: Sorry for my poor English.

Edited by Araujo JW

Oh wow. You folks from over the water have weird ears. You hear Paul McCartney or Irish when listening to that song? Seriously.:confused:Lol.

I promise you, you guys are hearing things. Probably would think I have a nice English accent if you heard me speak. Hehe. Unless of course you happen to have Scottish ancestry. ;)

:DSounds like a plain old Brit singing a nice country song. Some of my favourite Lyrics now in these songs.

:loopy:

Edited by Mykyl

8 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

Brother Eric, thank you! I loved reading about it! It reminded me of a talk that Brother Milton Henschel delivered to us in 1987 as zonal superintendent. The theme of his talk was "Let us joyfully partake in Jehovah's victories", and gave us details of what the brothers in Quebec had experienced at that time. He told us about the premier of Quebec Maurice Duplessis, about what Brother Frank Roncarelli did to help the brothers and about the court hearings, how everything was spoken was recorded and then staged on Society radio.

He said that this premier Duplessis, built a bridge with his own name, this bridge fell and after that the name of this premier was never heard again.

Note: Sorry for my poor English.

First of all, don't apologize for your English. I had no trouble at all understanding it. (tu)

I never heard about the bridge with Duplessis name. But here's what I read from my research notes from the late 1980s. Duplessis lost his case in the Supreme Court (January 1959), then had to personally pay Frank Roncarelli damages of over $33,000 (a lot of money in those days, but it didn't come anywhere close to what Brother Roncarelli had lost). Three months after the judgment was paid, Duplessis was dead. I don't recall reading anything about a bridge in between. On the other hand, there were a few others details Brother Carbonneau mentioned in the monthly broadcast that I don't recall ever reading about either. I guess the organization has a lot more information on that subject that was never written. But it would all be in their archives. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Since you mentioned it, here's some research on that bridge that I just looked up:

http://anengineersaspect.blogspot.ca/2013/04/the-duplessis-bridge-collapse-january.html

http://www.provincequebec.com/history-of-quebec/collapse-duplessis-bridge/

So according to these links, the bridge collapsed in 1951. Duplessis's name was still heard following that. He actually died in September 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Duplessis

Edited by Sheep

additional details

Watched this broadcast today with an elderly brother who lost a child 35 years ago, and his beloved wife some years ago. We both shed a tear hearing the song, this elderly brother and me, and that's alright. You need to do that sometimes when you think about the prospect of having this old world removed and replaced by a new, perfect one.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/11/2016 at 8:44 PM, Mykyl said:

Oh wow. You folks from over the water have weird ears. You hear Paul McCartney or Irish when listening to that song? Seriously.:confused:Lol.

Haha I made the Paul McCartney comment and I'm not from across the pond :D I stand by my comment too!  Definitely reminds me of acoustic McCartney. 

31 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

Haha I made the Paul McCartney comment and I'm not from across the pond :D I stand by my comment too!  Definitely reminds me of acoustic McCartney. 

Are you Irish? :raspberry: lol. I couldn't hear it I'm afraid. Can you point me to an example?

Haha I made the Paul McCartney comment and I'm not from across the pond default_biggrin.png I stand by my comment too!  Definitely reminds me of acoustic McCartney. 

I know what you mean. There's a sense of Paul McCartney there. Not so much in the song or dialect, but more in the... hm... diction? I'm sure, if the brother is reading this, he would laugh his heart out. It's OK, I can take it. :-)

____

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

21 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I know what you mean. There's a sense of Paul McCartney there. Not so much in the song or dialect, but more in the... hm... diction? I'm sure, if the brother is reading this, he would laugh his heart out. It's OK, I can take it. :-)

____

I think that's it. Going to listen to it again.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:44 PM, Mykyl said:
14 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Are you Irish? :raspberry: lol. I couldn't hear it I'm afraid. Can you point me to an example?

Ha no! Essex girl born and bred :)

I can't think of a specific example it's just the sound of his voice is similar to my ear. think McCartney singing Mull of Kintyre rather than than Back in the USSR!

On 11/8/2016 at 5:47 AM, Sheep said:

The new song for the month sounds like it's got a strong country influence to it. It's called "Just Around the Corner," and I have produced an mp3 version of it for you. You can find it in my very small collection of Original Songs.

13 minutes ago, Margaret said:

Anyone have the music video at the end downloadable?

Hi sis Margaret and I am sorry sis Margaret if music video is what you are looking for, maybe next months :) Do you want youtube instead? I am hoping it has to be in youtube :) 

Edited by Alexa

You know...

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

55 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Hi sis Margaret and I am sorry sis Margaret if music video is what you are looking for, maybe next months :) Do you want youtube instead? I am hoping it has to be in youtube :) 

My mother (the same one who told me at 80, that she would never touch a computer and is now 82) told me at the meeting this morning that she had tracked down several versions of this new song on u tube

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

On 11/12/2016 at 0:07 AM, Thesauron said:

I'm sure, if the brother is reading this, he would laugh his heart out. It's OK, I can take it. :-

Are you the brother that sang the song, Johan?

Edited by Skye

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 5:34 PM, Thesauron said:

The song is very catchy, like a little ray of sunlight. The new world is just around the corner.

Now that we have all enjoyed "Just around the corner"         ... We had a bit of fun in our car group this cold cloudy morning  (this is just a mere test of your sense of humor and not to be offensive at all)  ...   next time you play "Just around the corner" -  hit the play button on this video at just the right time to sync the lyrics and mute the videos sound  - you may enjoy a chuckle   :sunshine:  we found it hilarious and hope you do also!  

Edited by timpin

On 11/12/2016 at 9:54 PM, jwhess said:

I clipped the video from the broadcast and loaded it in my Box account.  The download link is below (it is 185 MB)

https://app.box.com/s/crv6lu03ivjotw8qlz8nbfa8igk05y5c

Here it is on jw broadcasting: https://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODMusicVideos/pub-jwbon_201611_1_VIDEO

4 hours ago, timpin said:

Now that we have all enjoyed "Just around the corner"         ...  We all had a bit of fun in our car group this cold cloudy morning  (this is just a mere test of your sense of humor and not to be offensive at all)  ...   next time you play "Just around the corner" -  hit the play button on this video at just the right time to sync the lyrics and mute the videos sound  - you may enjoy a chuckle   :sunshine:  we found it hilarious and hope you do also!  

Okay, kermit me to help  :encourage:  an easy way to do this is go to JWLibrary , click on media, then choose AUDIO, find original songs, download  "Just around the corner" then press play on both about the same time (mute the Muppet video) then you will then see Kermit and Miss Piggy riding and lip-syncing the words to "Just around the corner"     ...   we hope it is just as amusing to you as it was to us.  :wub: 

Edited by timpin

4 hours ago, timpin said:

...   next time you play "Just around the corner" -  hit the play button on this video at just the right time to sync the lyrics and mute the videos sound  - you may enjoy a chuckle   :sunshine:  we found it hilarious and hope you do also!   

Haha...that was actually cute! :lol: