JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anthony Morris - Keep Perseiving Jehovah's Will

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2739 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Very interesting as well...

3 hours ago, juliansan said:

One of the best morning worship, yet :D

I agree with both of those comments. It was thought-provoking. I liked the quote he made from the December 1, 2003, Watchtower.

However, I noticed something in this video, in fact with most Morning Worship segments. The theme scripture in the video's title doesn't seem to have anything to do with the discussion that follows.

The scripture referenced in the video's title is Leviticus 19:18. But what does that verse have to do with Brother Morris' discussion of Jehovah's principles and our choice of music or our appearance? It's not very apparent.

If you look up the Daily Text for Wednesday, May 18, 2016, from which this segment was taken, it's easy to see the application of that scripture to the subject matter for that day. But in Brother Morris' talk, it's hard to see the connection. In fact, he doesn't even mention that scripture in his discussion.

We see the same anomaly in almost all Morning Worship videos, where the scripture cited in the video's title doesn't have any link to the subject discussed. It seems that the brothers assigned to do these parts really go outside the subject matter of the day's text in their research. Rather, they apply the subject of the Daily Text in a completely different way. Even though the scripture highlighted in the Daily Text is mentioned in the video's title, the verse itself is not really the theme of the talk.

P.S.: Does anything of what I just wrote make any sense to you?

19 minutes ago, Sheep said:

However, I noticed something in this video, in fact with most Morning Worship segments. The theme scripture in the video's title doesn't seem to have anything to do with the discussion that follows.

In Bethel text discussions, the people at the table (not seen in the video) have already discussed the text and the printed comments and added their own introspection to the discussion.  All of this happened before Br. Morris spoke.  He is giving us the insight on the "larger" application not a confirmation of the previous comments.  It is typical of the discussions.

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

I agree with both of those comments. It was thought-provoking. I liked the quote he made from the December 1, 2003, Watchtower.

The scripture referenced in the video's title is Leviticus 19:18. But what does that verse have to do with Brother Morris' discussion of Jehovah's principles and our choice of music or our appearance? It's not very apparent.

If you look up the Daily Text for Wednesday, May 18, 2016, from which this segment was taken, it's easy to see the application of that scripture to the subject matter for that day. But in Brother Morris' talk, it's hard to see the connection. In fact, he doesn't even mention that scripture in his discussion.

We see the same anomaly in almost all Morning Worship videos, where the scripture cited in the video's title doesn't have any link to the subject discussed. It seems that the brothers assigned to do these parts really go outside the subject matter of the day's text in their research. Rather, they apply the subject of the Daily Text in a completely different way. Even though the scripture highlighted in the Daily Text is mentioned in the video's title, the verse itself is not really the theme of the talk.

I haven't even noticed that. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look at it again tonight just out of curiosity...

These talks are usually intended to highlight a particular facet of a scripture, and apply it, not repeat what was discussed in the printed booklet.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

I've had the opportunity to have breakfast with several of the SKE classes and instructors and they follow the same format, after the daily text is considered and the assigned student gives their prepared comments, the instructor will give a short talk that highlights a point associated with the daily text. Sometimes it's barely related to the text but the instructor will still tie it together. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, juliansan said:

One of the best morning worship, yet :D

Food at the proper time for All of us in view of last weeks WT    -  although I still can't understand why Sisters are so concerned about beards ! ?  :shrugs:

Edited by timpin

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

In Bethel text discussions, the people at the table (not seen in the video) have already discussed the text and the printed comments and added their own introspection to the discussion.  All of this happened before Br. Morris spoke.  He is giving us the insight on the "larger" application not a confirmation of the previous comments.  It is typical of the discussions.

And several times we heard the brother saying something like "we thank our commentators" or "like our commentators expressed"... 

I've noticed this expressions before and imagined it was happening like you mention 

14 hours ago, Hope said:

I guess I don't quite understand why Tim likes to quote from other threads into the current one... it seems very strange to me.

Since the same line of thinking is not always exclusive to one particular thread, I sometimes preface the concurrent thoughts by directly attaching the other thread in which that similar line of reasoning is occurring - instead of just mentioning it.

In this particular case, it reflects how Ashleys thought in the beard thread tied in very nicely to the theme of Brother Morris' MW here and last weeks WT study.  

I hope. this also may serve as a helpful future reference to newer members looking in at a slightly later date.  

Edited by Musky

7 hours ago, timpin said:

Since the same line of thinking is not always exclusive to one particular thread, I sometimes preface the concurrent thoughts by directly attaching the other thread in which that similar line of reasoning is occurring - instead of just mentioning it.

In this particular case, it reflects how Ashleys thought in the beard thread tied in very nicely to the theme of Brother Morris' MW here and last weeks WT study.  

It does sometimes tend to confuse the topic you're in when you bring in quotes from other topics. It's OK to do so once in a while, but it is always better to post an original thought or viewpoint of your own if you can. We have different topics for a reason, otherwise we'd just have one huge thread,  Don't worry, other members read the other topics like you do.

Another practice that I find annoying is when a member continually quotes themselves to make their point. I can understand if someone quoted the member incorrectly and the member needs to show what he/she "really said" by directly quoting the post in question. But quoting oneself just to say "remember what I said back here in this profound post I made" is pretentious, and indicates that the person lacks an original thought to add to the discussion. IMO

Edited by Musky

14 minutes ago, Musky said:

Another practice that I find annoying is when a member continually quotes themselves to make their point. 

I only do that when I'm right...

:lol1:

Actually I think I have done that a few times just to get back on topic, I'll pay more attention to whether or not it looks pretentious. 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I only do that when I'm right...

:lol1:

Actually I think I have done that a few times just to get back on topic, I'll pay more attention to whether or not it looks pretentious. 

We are not discussing narcissism, where a member feels that every post is about him! :lol1:

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

I do not remember the last time i used Narcissism and Pretentious in the same sentence.  I am humbled to be in the company of giants. :)

Its an elite club :lol2:  just have a beard, Bow-Tie and know the secret knock :secret: 

awww you guys are just jealous that I've got such a unique talent :raspberry:  :dance:

otoh I've found a coupe of chinks in the borgs armor :borg:  he's easily confused and annoyed  :lol1:

how did we get    :offtopic:  so quick!?   ...   now back to our regularly scheduled thread 

I'm timpin and I approve of this message :D

here's a good quote   ...

Edited by timpin