JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

80/20 rule

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Have you ever heard of this?

The first time I heard of it was at Bethel. At that time it was used in the sense, 20% of the people will take up 80% of an overseer's time.

I have found this rough estimate - 80/20 (sometimes 90/10. :)  )- to have proved true in many of my endeavors - especially places where I oversee others: at work, in the congregation and even here on JWTalk.

I just found it interesting.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hi Jerry,

I think that this 80/20 Rule can be seen in some situations and helpful, like for example a "Task List".

I was researching a while back about "prioritizing" and came across an interesting concept, I think you might like this. :)

*** g 4/10 p. 8 20 Ways to Create More Time ***
APPLY THE 80/20 RULE OF THUMB.

Are approximately 2 out of 10 items on your to-do list the most important? Might a certain job be as good as finished after you give attention to just the most important aspects of it?

[Footnote]
This idea is roughly based on the work of the 19th-century Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto and is also known as the Pareto principle. It involves the observation that often 80 percent of the results come from about 20 percent of the effort. It has been applied to many things, but here is a simple example: When a carpet is vacuumed, about 80 percent of the dirt picked up is likely from 20 percent of the carpet, namely, the high-traffic areas.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

On 11/17/2016 at 6:19 AM, morningdove said:

It's been said that you wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time.:uhhuh:

I bet that's true. So, do we have too many clothes? Shoes?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 11/17/2016 at 9:19 AM, morningdove said:

hope not    :raspberry: :blush:      http://www.target.com/c/underwear-undershirts-men-s-clothing/-/N-4vr7vZ4y41rZ4yk83?Nao=0&sortBy=bestselling#sn-50941202 

Edited by timpin

On 11/17/2016 at 9:19 AM, morningdove said:

When it comes to my work clothes - since I go through about 3 shirts a day, I know I do not have 75 work shirts - so I do not wear 20% of those shirts 80% of the time.

Now, it may hold true that I do wear them 80% of the time ....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

When it comes to my work clothes - since I go through about 3 shirts a day, I know I do not have 75 work shirts - so I do not wear 20% of those shirts 80% of the time.

Now, it may hold true that I do wear them 80% of the time ....

You only own work clothes? :) 

Soon .....

I did say "when it comes to my work clothes" in that post ....

Now, as for the meeting clothes, since I only have ONE suit, I wear that 100% of the time for times when I must wear a suit (I do have several shirts in various colors/shades)

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

I did say "when it comes to my work clothes" in that post ....

Now, as for the meeting clothes, since I only have ONE suit, I wear that 100% of the time for times when I must wear a suit (I do have several shirts in various colors/shades)

:o  What do you wear when that suit needs to be cleaned??  Don't you wear a suit to each meeting?

My son has at least six suits.  

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

Is that your birthday suit?

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

50 minutes ago, Hope said:

What do you wear when that suit needs to be cleaned??  Don't you wear a suit to each meeting?

I can wash the pants any time I need to. I can have the coat cleaned while I am wearing my work clothes.

Since I am trying to lose weight I do not want to buy additional suits that will not continue to fit me.

Have any of you tried the product, Dryel? It is a product used for those clothes that cannot be subjected to a soap and water assault.   :wacko:

The clothing is placed in a special bag, meant just for the Dryel process, along with a cloth that comes in the kit. You toss the bag in a dryer for 30 minutes, and remove immediately, then hang the clothing items on suitable hangars.

They smell so good! I have never worn dry-cleaned items, because I believe the chemicals that are used, would leave a residue, harmful to you, and your lungs.

The 80/20 rule. Is that the one where you can eat food that has been on the floor for less than 20 seconds as long as you accept the 80% probability of being ill later?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

18 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

The 80/20 rule. Is that the one where you can eat food that has been on the floor for less than 20 seconds as long as you accept the 80% probability of being ill later?

Are you 80% sick 20% of the time or 20% sick 80% of the time?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

No no, the 5 second rule applies to food that has been on the floor. As long as it's been less than 5 seconds on the floor, you can safely eat it :)

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, And_Ray said:

No no, the 5 second rule applies to food that has been on the floor. As long as it's been less than 5 seconds on the floor, you can safely eat it :)

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

If the clocks go back during the 5 second window is it safe for an extra hour?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

41 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

If the clocks go back during the 5 second window is it safe for an extra hour?

ummm that's a good question. I don't think so, no. The 5 seconds timeframe is not relative to the clock, instead it's absolute to the time of the food touching ground. Does this make sense? :)

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no6-2016-december/byssus-of-marine-mussel/

Not sure if this is applicable to the OP, but it's a good example of the 80/20 rule in nature.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley