JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Weather extremes

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2652 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

So this  summer so far (down under) we've had 5 heatwaves! You heard it. It's unusual considering that its only 6weeks into summer.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/highly-significant-heatwave-smashes-australian-records-20140106-30dx5.html

I was wondering if others in other countries are experiencing weather extremes.

12 minutes ago, Jodievt said:

So this  summer so far (down under) we've had 5 heatwaves! You heard it. It's unusual considering that its only 6weeks into summer.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/highly-significant-heatwave-smashes-australian-records-20140106-30dx5.html

Looks like you are having our normal weather. On this side of the country it's considerably cooler than usual.  We had a very long, cold Winter, colder and wetter than average Spring and a lot of unusual fluctuating temperatures for this time of the year. For instance, today is 34, tomorrow is 35 and then on Thursday it's back to 24.  We never have 24 in the middle of Summer and this isn't the first time it's happened this year.  We are  usually lucky if we get anything below 30 for the 4 months between the beginning of December and the end of March.  We've only had a couple of 40+ days this year when we normally have runs of them regularly.  Like you say though, only 6 weeks into Summer.  It might happen yet.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

So far we have done well in Tasmania. Very good growing weather. I read in the paper the other day that a chief  fireman was predicting that we should expect massive bushfires (largest in 60 years) in February due to fuel load and expected temperatures. I hope he is wrong. 

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Yet in NZ it's been cold windy and rainy with a lovely day or two thrown in for good measure. right now its breezy and cold. You must have all our heat up there Sister Jodie - heatwaves this early on in the 'summer' downunder not a good sign.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Wow, I just lost about a half hour of typing when this page refreshed...

I had all kinds of stuff,  videos, links, 8x10 glossy,  oh, not the 8x10, sorry...

How 'bout drone videos? .. In the summer you can rock hop across this and never get wet...

http://www.abc10.com/news/video-south-yuba-river-flooding-outside-nevada-city/384582696

Lefties is taking a hit...

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/nevada-city-restaurant-flooded-by-rising-creek/384312930

6 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Looks like you are having our normal weather. On this side of the country it's considerably cooler than usual.  We had a very long, cold Winter, colder and wetter than average Spring and a lot of unusual fluctuating temperatures for this time of the year. For instance, today is 34, tomorrow is 35 and then on Thursday it's back to 24.  We never have 24 in the middle of Summer and this isn't the first time it's happened this year.  We are  usually lucky if we get anything below 30 for the 4 months between the beginning of December and the end of March.  We've only had a couple of 40+ days this year when we normally have runs of them regularly.  Like you say though, only 6 weeks into Summer.  It might happen yet.

I lived in WA for few years and remember those hot summers ...:sunshine:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Deep freeze ( although no records ). Lake effect snow, now today system snow ( from Colorado ) with rain possible later in the day.

Above freezing for a couple of days then colder again. Affecting all of southern Ontario and part of Quebec.  :(

Hopefully it was cold long enough to kill off some of the germs that has decimated our congregation. :zipmouth:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

In Billings Montana USA we had more snow in December than we normally receive in a year.  Most of that rain from California will head north and east  and hit us next.  We went two years with out below zero fahrenheit  temps and since December I think we have had at least 10 to 15 below zero days.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

Yes. Here in Victoria BC Canada it's way colder and we have 3 snow falls. Not much snow but still. I hope my palm and banana trees make it. The wind chill has been bad too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in north Texas USA, we are having fairly warm weather this "winter". We've had less than 7 cold days and today it got up to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Had an inch or 2 of snow last wknd.  Melted & 3 days later 75 degrees F. in OK (Jan.11)  Friday morning ice storm is coming in. Man engineering the weather (I know, I know..you all don't believe that..but it is what it is!) 

Edited by SusanE

9 hours ago, SusanE said:

Had an inch or 2 of snow last wknd.  Melted & 3 days later 75 degrees F. in OK (Jan.11)  Friday morning ice storm is coming in. Man engineering the weather (I know, I know..you all don't believe that..but it is what it is!) 

:yawning:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

@GeordieGirl I can't imagine regular 40+ temps. Is it humid temps? Or dry heat in WA?

You guys living in the cold snaps much respect. I don't do cold well. 

@Brother Jack yeah I know the feel. Last winter we had storms which is unusual because it's usually in summer we have them. And didn't even have to put a jumper on. It meant this season we had an explosion of flies and weeds that didn't die off in Winter 

Climate change really does cause these erratic weather conditions. 

Thankfully it is dry heat in WA. I don't handle high humidity very well. But I'm very grateful for the drop of rain we've had yesterday. It's not usual because we lack the humidity to build up enough for precipitation in the summer. It usually only rains in the winter over here. I'm still sleeping with a doona! Things are definitely different this year.

But it pales to the weather extremes seen in other places. 

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Is this a doona? :confused: 

Doona.jpg.gif

When I googled doona, that is what came up.^_^

Hahaha!!!!! The Brits call it a Duvet.  Maybe that would give you a different description. Not sure what you guys call them in the US.  A quilt to me is one that is handmade in 3 layers and stitched together the old fashioned way ... but that's probably because I try to make them intermittently.  I can't sleep under a Doona/Duvet, I get too hot, but I can sleep under a quilt. :D

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

40 degree Temps in the United States is in Fahrenheit.   40f = about 5c

We use Celsius here, Shawn, so 40C is 104F

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Some info from Wikipedia and a bedding Australia website:

A duvet (from the French duvet “down”) or doona is a type of bedding a soft flat bag traditionally filled with down or feathers, or a combination of both and used on a bed as a blanket. Duvets originally came out of rural Europe and were made from the down feathers of the Eider duck, which is well known for its usefulness as an insulator.

While a comforter is fundamentally the same as a duvet in terms of construction, it is used somewhat differently. In the US, comforters are used on top of the flat sheet, often without a cover.

Well, our meeting was cancelled tonight because of the weather, that hasn't happened in years, many years. We are getting wind gusts over 50MPH and it's been raining pretty good. It's not really that bad out but most of the friends live out of town and it would be dangerous for them to get to the KH. So...we'll watch the Hezekiah video as long as our power doesn't go out. :) 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D