JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1457 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

38 minutes ago, Victoria said:

I am sorry but I want to say to everybody you NEED NOT to write You, Your etc.because you write in English, not in Russian. It's a rule of the Russian language. It's like you write Monday, January...but in Russian we write понедельник, январь.  I hope you understand. It's good you want to show respect but I am sure you can write what you would to your president.

Maybe they will get a chuckle out of our effort to be respectful.  It would be nice given the fact that the ones demonstrating in the streets of Russia in regard government corruption, show little respect. 

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

1 hour ago, Victoria said:

I am sorry but I want to say to everybody you NEED NOT to write You, Your etc.because you write in English, not ina requirement. It was just omething that  Russian.

Thanks, I know its not a requirement and I hope that I didn't infer it was a requirement. It was just something that I learned here and that I wanted to do.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Stormswift said:

I addressed some as Honourable, Mr. Putin and the Prime Minister as Esteemed and then said Dear Mr Putin or whatever, as I type all my business letters with 'dear' whether I know them or not, it's only a salutation ...

I'm from California so all of my letters were addressed to 'Dude!'

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

An actor known here in Brazil also recorded a video in which he demonstrated in favor of the Jehovah's Witnesses, asking for respect for the Russian authorities, asking for respect for all the Witnesses. He said in his testimony that the Witnesses are exemplary and that they did not bow to Hitler's Nazi regime.

1dcbhttjyu_823nxk9t2a_file_zpszdtaoyec.j

Left: scenes from one of his work as an actor.
Right: The 2 min video of your testimony in favor of the Witnesses

Edited by Araujo JW

I have been wondering how many people and humanitarian groups will use this as a platform to express their views..

Mr. Putin may be a tad disconcerted right now. There are thousands protesting throughout Russia right now. As he tries to contend with that fact, here comes an avalanche of letters from all over the earth. Perfect timing! 

We have a group getting together to write letters. I will join them, and send out a second batch! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

48 minutes ago, Araujo JW said:

Look at the reach of the campaign: the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), through their president, sent a letter to the Russian ambassador requesting that the courts review their position.

IMG-20170327-WA0004_zpstbzkbc8c.jpg

Can you translate this for us?  I would be interested to see what it says. Either that or can you tell us some of the key points? Thanks

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

10 hours ago, Joycecan said:

I could not being myself to use the term "Dear", because they are not dear to me. I started with, Greetings...

emoji47.png

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I used "Dear" as used in the BE format page 73 (and cited in the download.)  Your salutation is fine. (I know, it is referred to as a 'salutation,' but we are not actually saluting him, either.)

Wow. I have read through a lot of these posts. It's all quite interesting. I've typed up several variations of my letter to the different officials since I don't want them to seem too formulaic but I'm running out of time! I want to mail them today. Anyway, I think as long as we are respectful (no 'poking the beast') as we have been asked, and show proper adherence to basic letter writing skills, spelling, grammar, paragraphing, etc., we should be fine.

I saw a few posts here that dislike the idea of addressing letters to "Dear". Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with addressing any of these officials as "Dear".  The use of "Dear" is simply standard business practice without any real sentiment attached to it.

I highly doubt that Russian officials will be expecting people from other countries to know the idiosyncrasies of Russian forms of address, so I'm not worrying about it overly much as long as the form of address is respectful by the standards of whatever country we are from. I do love the idea of the Russian authorities being inundated by our letters. It is quite exciting to take part.

IMG_2828.PNG.b63a8df8bdfe75e961baab058b8bccbc.PNGCould someone please estimate the weight in grams of a sheet of A4 paper, 90 gsm, with a budget DL envelope?

Maybe I can buy the postage and print on the envelopes. I am concerned that I can't write legibly beyond my signature.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

27 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

IMG_2828.PNG.b63a8df8bdfe75e961baab058b8bccbc.PNGCould someone please estimate the weight in grams of a sheet of A4 paper, 90 gsm, with a budget DL envelope?

Maybe I can buy the postage and print on the envelopes. I am concerned that I can't write legibly beyond my signature.

I've had some older sisters come to my place of work (with my employers consent) and I've helped them because they had the same fears, go and see someone if you have trouble writing the envelopes, we are all here to help those who are making such a grand effort like yourself. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

26 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

My letter + envelope weighed 9g.  A letter to Russia 10g or 20g costs £1.17.  I used the online postage system to buy and print postage labels.

55 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I recall a little over 40 years ago when the Puyallup Assembly Hall in Washington State was trying to be built. The Brothers asked us to pray and petition Jehovah. The Assembly Hall being built was trying to be stopped by Pierce County officials. As soon as they walked into the courthouse and saw the docket for the day they knew what was going to happen. What did the court docket show?

Instead of writing out Jehovah's Witnesses V Pierce County, the person who wrote it out abbreviated it simply to : Jehovah V Pierce County. They'll never know how true that was! It will be the same in this case. Jehovah will provide the ultimate victory, we just need to provide faith and trust in him ( Proverbs 3:5,6).

you made me go and find it in the library!

here is the article date, if someone is interested in reading it: 

*** g77 6/22 p. 5 Discerning Judges Protect Minority Rights ***

There's a lot of civil unrest in Russia at present. Some nasty rioting and arrests going on. Perhaps it would be an opportunity for those who haven't finished writing a letter yet to point out that we are not the type of people to engage in such behavior distrupting Russian everyday life and transportation in their streets. 

10 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

My letter + envelope weighed 9g.  A letter to Russia 10g or 20g costs £1.17.  I used the online postage system to buy and print postage labels.

Thanks. I will use the £1.17 one and print on the envelopes "Keep the change". :lol:

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13