JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1413 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am just surprised how good we are with "over-complicating" things even though we have simple instructions to follow.

Just send the letters and even if they arrive after the cases is heard and done then high officials in Russia will see the support behind our brothers  there.

That itself is a huge witness.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Please tell me what is the difference is.  An  elder showed me the second way to send the mail to Russia, and said his  included a routing number.  Does anyone have more information? 

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

I know the governing body said in the newsfeed that the ban would be imminent.  And I'm quite sure they're well aware that a lot of the letters will be still filtering in the next few weeks and months. Perhaps changing their mind at a later date but it will be too late.  At that point in time they will have to know.

btw my husband is sending four letters!!!

Edited by Gi-Gi

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

I know the governing body said in the newsfeed that the ban would be imminent.  And I'm quite sure they're well aware that a lot of the letters will be still filtering in the next few weeks and months. Perhaps changing their mind at a later date but it will be too late.  At that point in time they will have to know.
btw my husband is sending four letters!!!

Cool! Give your husband a big thanks... And a bro hug!

I totally agree too about not making rules. As a matter of fact, Jehovah even says not to, at 1Cor. 4:6, where he says "...Do not go beyond the things that are written," so that you may not be puffed up with pride, favoring one against the other."

True, the instructions themselves are not written by Jehovah via the scriptures, yet in a sense they are through the slave. The slave is how Jehovah is teaching, thus instructing us in all matters including this situation with our friends in Russia. 

So, anything outside of those instructions are definitely not from Jehovah, via the slave.

5 hours ago, Daniela said:

Very nice thoughts, Gabe. I like them from the very first sentence. We are encouraged to write our letters in behalf of our Brothers there. We should give proofs to the Russian authorities that the truth has a positive impact on our lives and made us (and that includes our Russian Brothers) better persons, an asset for the community we live in. If we say that we respect the authorities, we should not explain them what an extremist mean or give them a sort of "gentle lesson" of democracy.  This would not help at all our Brothers there. Those who lived (or still live) under a communist regime know  how important is to choose proper words in our interaction with that kind of authorities. This is why we should follow the FDS instruction.  And this is why I love your words.

Mérci!!! Daniela 

I am so loving this topic.

everyones genuine love is shining through. 

May Jehovahs plan conquer Russia's Kings & Chiefs.

May Jah show them he is the Almighty. xx

How is France going. 

I hear the news. 

agapé!!

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

As this is my first time participating in writing to gov't officials on behalf of our brothers, I greatly appreciate all of the input from this forum. I'm even more grateful that my cong. decided to have a grp. session after Sat. svce, in which we were able to get extra direction on how to proceed. Nothing majorly different than what's been shared here. It was just comforting to be with a live grp. of supporting brothers.  A few friends shared experiences  about this campaign involving non JW's. 

One elder said while waiting in line at the post office, a neighbor of his walked in and immediately began questioning him about Russia.  So the brother explained it all in earshot of all who was on  the line. When he finished, one man said, "I will pay the postage for all of your letters to Russia". 

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Rough Draft

One down 5 to go.

Need input please...have my helmet on I can take it.

President of Russia.docx

President of Russia

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin

23 Ilyinka Str.

Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION

Dear President Putin,

I am appealing to you in regards to the ban of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia.  Just as your own mother suffered governmental persecution for her religion, Jehovah’s Witnesses are contending with the threat of being banned in Russia.  Consequently, there is no doubt that you personally understand their strong convictions regarding freedom to worship.  Everything taught can be verified through the Holy Scriptures.  They are the total opposite of extremist. You yourself know that by close observation Jehovah’s Witnesses are a peace-loving people.  They follow and obey the laws of the land they live in and pay their taxes. They strive to be upstanding law-abiding citizens throughout 240 countries and constantly striving to help and encourage others to do the same. 

Mr. President the reasons that I am sure of what I write is because I have been living my faith for the past ten years.  Since I have started studying the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses I have turned my life around 100%.  Instead of doing drugs, I teach others how to live better lives by applying simple Bible principles.  Instead of living an immoral and dangerous life, I live my life harmony with Bible teachings.  I have learned to put my faith in Jehovah God and his son Christ Jesus.  I see no sense in being a part of any organization that does not bring about a positive change in me.

Understandably, living in this world we all have contend with trials and challenges in life and as a result,  like myself you too have had to rely on your own spirituality to get you through difficult times.  Because both of us are students of the Bible I’m sure you will agree that just as Jesus respected people of all races cultures and religions, as true Christians we too must follow the same path as brought out in the books of Acts.  Деяния 10:34, 35 34 Петр отверз уста и сказал: истинно познаю, что Бог нелицеприятен35 но во всяком народе боящийся Его и поступающий по правде приятен Ему.

President Putin, I don’t suppose you personally will read this letter but I do know the whole World is awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court’s decision.  On a more personal level, I feel just by writing you, it has strengthened my own convictions to stand firm in my faith no matter how strong the opposition.  It has also brought me closer to my brothers and sisters in Russia with whom I share the same hope that one day we will all worship together in true peace and security.

Mr. President, I respectfully implore you to please use the power afforded you as President of the Russian Federation to reverse the decision to liquidate and ban Jehovah’s Witnesses, and allow these peace-loving Russian citizens the legal and just opportunity to teach and worship freely.

Best Regards,

Edited by Gi-Gi

10 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Hi Maladee, Don't know if you have started yet but this is what I have written..

To Whom it please may concern....

To Mr Putin....

I am writting  on behalf of My Brothers & Sisters.. In Russia.   I am One of Many Jehovah's Witnesses. We are  a global Brotherhood. We come from al cultures & backgrounds, I have Been  a Jehovah's witness for a very long time. & Love every minute..  We strive to Live as Jesus encouraged us do.  Jesus asked any who wish to follow his way of life, Well then we are to  Love our  neighbors & do what we can to help people. Never in any verse have I read. that we should go & kill anyone. Jesus also. stated that we need to Cooperate with the Governments & obey the Laws of the Land. keep Peace never make trouble.  

I love using JW.ORG  our website. Have found it to be very helpful.  There we find great help for families, Teenagers, Children & for those going to school ....How to cope with Bullying, Peer Pressure & other Questions to why life is the way we have it at the moment. Also in other countries Authorities have greatly appreciated how educational our Publications have been... for eg. Many who can't read or write have been helped to do so.  Also those who are in Prision who are on Deathrow. Have been helped because of the Bible not to want to kill or harm anymore....

I love our meetings because there we are encouraged & again helped to get along with people.. reminded to Respect the Authorities like our Brothers do in Russia. Also We do appreciate what the governments do like funding for the Hospitals etc. The Policemen do alot to help keep communities Safe...

But I beg please & request that My Brothers & Sisters please be allowed to go to the meetings. & preach freely. Please don't ban them.  

One thing I have loved reading from the Bible is the beautiful hope in Ps37-9,11 How badness will be done away with.

Even things like Global warming & poverty will be done away with..( As my Brothers & Sisters do to.),,,when ever there is a disaster we all try to do what we can to help out.  Never in any verses have I read that we are to go & kill anyone of behalf of there religion. We are not taught anything about  Terrorist ideas or  extremist ideas. Goes against everything we are taught.... Jesus started the preaching work himself, He asked his followers to In Matt 24.14..Matt28;19-20  We are encouraged to help people in anyway possible.. One of the 2nd Commands in John13;34 We must love our neighbor...  So please reconsider.. Please let my Brothers & Sisters be free..  

Thank you..

I just sign my name..... 

I hope this gives you some Idea Sister.

Some points I urge everybody to focus on. The instructions say "Give attention to proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation."

There are quite a few spelling mistakes in this text and countless no-gos as pertains to puctuation.

Multiple full-stops are a no-go. (....) multiple commas even more (,,,,,,,)

Exclamation marks may be considered threatening or insulting(especially multiple !!! or ???)

Ampersands (&) seem lazy and do not belong behind a full-stop.

It might be sensible to run your text through a software with a spelling-check app.

Please everybody, make the utmost effort for us to make the best of this. Even if it means getting some help.

Also, the instructions say "Letters should be candid but respectful."

Please don't start your letter with "To Mr. Putin....." but with a proper formal addressing, as is standard when writing to a high official. "Dear President Putin" is still far more respectful. It has been stated here on this forum that there is nothing wrong with writing "Esteemed President Putin" as per the example in the Bible.

Edited by ChocoBro

33 minutes ago, Gi-Gi said:

Rough Draft

One down 5 to go.

President of Russia.docx

President of Russia

23 Ilyinka Str.

Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION

Dear President Putin,

I am appealing to you in regards to the ban of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia.  Just as your own mother suffered governmental persecution for her religion, Jehovah’s Witnesses are contending with the threat of being banned in Russia.  Consequently, there is no doubt that you personally understand their strong convictions regarding freedom to worship.  Everything taught can be verified through the Holy Scriptures.  They are the total opposite of extremist. You yourself know that by close observation Jehovah’s Witnesses are a peace-loving people.  They follow and obey the laws of the land they live in and pay their taxes. They strive to be upstanding law-abiding citizens throughout 240 countries and constantly striving to help and encourage others to do the same. 

Mr. President the reasons that I am sure of what I write is because I have been living my faith for the past ten years.  Since I have started studying the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses I have turned my life around 100%.  Instead of doing drugs, I teach others how to live better lives by applying simple Bible principles.  Instead of living an immoral and dangerous life, I live my life harmony with Bible teachings.  I have learned to put my faith in Jehovah God and his son Christ Jesus.  I see no sense in being a part of any organization that does not bring about a positive change in me.

Understandably, living in this world we all have contend with trials and challenges in life and as a result,  like myself you too have had to rely on your own spirituality to get you through difficult times.  Because both of us are students of the Bible I’m sure you will agree that just as Jesus respected people of all races cultures and religions, as true Christians we too must follow the same path as brought out in the books of Acts.  Деяния 10:34, 35 34 Петр отверз уста и сказал: истинно познаю, что Бог нелицеприятен35 но во всяком народе боящийся Его и поступающий по правде приятен Ему.

President Putin, I don’t suppose you personally will read this letter but I do know the whole World is awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court’s decision.  On a more personal level, I feel just by writing you, it has strengthened my own convictions to stand firm in my faith no matter how strong the opposition.  It has also brought me closer to my brothers and sisters in Russia with whom I share the same hope that one day we will all worship together in true peace and security.

Mr. President, I respectfully implore you to please use the power afforded you as President of the Russian Federation to reverse the decision to liquidate and ban Jehovah’s Witnesses, and allow these peace-loving Russian citizens the legal and just opportunity to teach and worship freely.

Best Regards,

I think this is very well put together Gigi ... I love how you have used contrast to compare before you became a Witness to now.

The only thing I wonder about, since you asked for input, is the use of the Russian translation ... we were specifically asked not to translate unless we know Russian fluently, which of course, you may do. If that is the case it's really good and I can hear the words from your heart. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Gi-Gi said:

Rough Draft

One down 5 to go.

President of Russia.docx

President of Russia

23 Ilyinka Str.

Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION

Dear President Putin,

Best Regards,

I see you have the scripture in Russian. Good thinking!

2 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Some points I urge everybody to focus on. The instructions say "Give attention to proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation."

There are quite a few spelling mistakes in this text and countless no-gos as pertains to puctuation.

Multiple full-stops are a no-go. (....) multiple commas even more (,,,,,,,)

Exclamation marks may be considered threatening or insulting(especially multiple !!! or ???)

Ampersands (&) seem lazy and do not belong behind a full-stop.

It might be sensible to run your text through a software with a spelling-check app.

Please everybody, make the utmost effort for us to make the best of this. Even if it means getting some help.

Also, the instructions say "Letters should be candid but respectful."

Please don't start your letter with "To Mr. Putin....." but with a proper formal addressing, as is standard when writing to a high official. "Dear President Putin" is still far more respectful. It has been stated here on this forum that there is nothing wrong with writing "Esteemed President Putin" as per the example in the Bible.

Is that what you got to say.

Man!!! I wrote different for the forum. As I was corrected many times over. So at home hand writing is different.

I was taught differently.

I actually posted cause a friend wanted an idea to write.

For reasons I saw on the forum. I had to take a break. 

Edited by surfergirl

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

A whatsapp message is being spread among the friends in Spain saying that we should post our letters before noon today or they won't arrive in time.

I'm sure the brother who started that had the best intentions. He went to the Post Office to ask how long do letters take to arrive in Russia, then calculated the deadline. The intentions are good, but those are not the instructions from the Slave or the branch. Many brothers who are very busy during the week had in mind to write their letters in the weekend. But if they are told that their letters are not going to arrive in time anyway, they can become discouraged and not write them.

So my point is not to make rules beyond what the Slave has said. They have asked us to write letters following some instructions and send them before April 1st. Let's just do that. Don't tell the friends when or how or how not. Not that anyone is doing that here, but you get the point.

Hello my brother Carlos. We received the following message on JW.org from our branch in the Dominican Republic:

"By means of Dominican Postal Service ( Should be sent by Monday, March 27, 2017 )"

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

Is that what you got to say.

Man!!!

Sorry if I offended you or misunderstood something. It wasn't generally directed only at you but at everybody intending to write such a letter or multiple letters. It's just, the fact is, with internet and modern communications, certain standards have dropped, and among private communications this is okay but we are explicitly requested to be formal with this organized effort.

Edited by ChocoBro

28 minutes ago, juliansan said:

Do you think the branch will start a survey of how many letters we sent? So they can publish the record in the yb2018? :D That would be amazing. 

I hope so. Since the letters are to be sent by April 1st it would be easy for everyone to include the number of letters they sent on their March field service report and the total could be compiled easily.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Very Interesting. I had no idea there would be an opportunity in appealing the Supreme Court's decision.

Which court in Russia would consider such an appeal?

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

8 hours ago, Stormswift said:

I think this is very well put together Gigi ... I love how you have used contrast to compare before you became a Witness to now.

The only thing I wonder about, since you asked for input, is the use of the Russian translation ... we were specifically asked not to translate unless we know Russian fluently, which of course, you may do. If that is the case it's really good and I can hear the words from your heart. 

Thank you Mandi.

I copied and pasted it from the Russian Synodal Bible which is the same Bible that the Russian Orthodox use.

7 minutes ago, whitulip said:

This is the same situation my husband and I are in. We took the last of our funds to mail our letters on Friday. (About $30 Canadian) But we have enough food to last us until Wednesday when our pensions come in. And I know, without a doubt, that Jehovah will richly bless each of us for giving him our best. :) (((Hugs))) 

my friend in Germany told me that it was not easy to spend the 30 Euro for posting specially at the end of the month,

but .......they visit another elder and he ask them, when they had their wedding anniversary...

my friend said 1st March and he gave them an envelope with 50 Euro

"Listen, obey and be blessed"