JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Alphabetical Place Names Game

Raven

D as in Durango, Mexico - NWern state and city.

There are 21 congregations held in Spanish, 1 in English, 1 in Tepehuan, 1 in Mexican sign language ; 1 congregation group in English, and 1 in Nahuatl.

** Nahuatl (a variety of the Nahuan languages) was the language of the Aztecs.

English words such as "avocado, chili, chocolate, coyote or tomato" are of Nahuatl origin.

** Tepehuan is also a language of the Uto-Aztecan language family, and is spoken mainly in Durango, Mex.

3 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

My daughter's name is also Nahuatl - Xochitl :) 

You may know then that Xochitl means Flower in Nahuatl. Lovely name !

May I ask you why you gave her that name, which is uncommon, I would say, in Australia (where you live, no ?), far away from Central America ?

10 hours ago, Patinage said:

You may know then that Xochitl means Flower in Nahuatl. Lovely name !

May I ask you why you gave her that name, which is uncommon, I would say, in Australia (where you live, no ?), far away from Central America ?

Yes I do know it means Flower :) Her father had read the name in a book some years before and liked it. I do live in Australia and you are right, it is uncommon here. :)

Last valid word - Edinburgh

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Flemington, Florida, US

Flemington is an unincorporated community in Marion County, in the U.S. state of Florida.
A post office called Flemington was established in 1847, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1910. The community bears the name of John Fleming.

You would not find yourself in Flemington unless you were going there - it is not exactly on a main road.

There is not a Congregation or a KH in Flemington. In fact, there isn't much of anything. There is a Marion County Park that can handle 100 people.

There are several Congregations in Nearby Ocala, as well as Anthony and Micanopy.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Bjern said:

Very cool! I'm curious as to how you would pronounce that name?

So-gee is how we pronounce it and how it was pronounced by the person my ex-husband got it from, who was South American. However,  you will get some who disagree with it.

Horsham - town in Sussex, England close to where I stay when I am back home for a visit. I have been to meetings there in the past though I usually go to ones in a different town. 

2 congregations - 2 English; 1 BSL (British Sign Language); 1 Spanish

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

12 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

So-gee is how we pronounce it and how it was pronounced by the person my ex-husband got it from, who was South American. However,  you will get some who disagree with it.

As we know, different languages will pronounce the same name differently, so that may well be the English way of pronouncing it. There's also quite a few dialects of Nahuatl, so they would likely vary of how they pronounce it too. As I understand it (and please correct me on this if I'm mistaken), the original way to pronounce the X is more like the "Sh" sound in English, which is how the X in Xocolatl (Chocolate) is pronounced as well (Makes one wonder about how to pronounce "Mexico", lol!), but I would say it's very likely that at least one dialect of Nahuatl would pronounce it as an "S" instead, especially since they are similar sounds. Also, in Nahuatl, the "tl" part is also pronounced, but there is no English equivalent for that sound.

:eek:

:nope: Don't stop playing!

As a reminder

On 10/27/2017 at 9:02 AM, Qapla said:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

:thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)

Several congregations and groups in Lingala, French, Tshiluba, and ASL (American Sign Language)

Lingala is a Bantu language spoken in the Congo River region. It's the national language of DRC.

Tshiluba (Ciluba) is also a Bantu language spoken in DRC.

According to this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3830521.stm)

the world's most difficult word to translate would be "ilunga" from the Tshiluba language

it means "a person who is ready to forgive any abuse for the first time, to tolerate it a second time, but never a third time" !!!