JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Harvey - Storm Headed for Texas

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2401 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Looks like Hurricane Harvey will be a dangerous storm when it makes landfall - most likely on the coast of Texas, near Corpus Christi.

It is expected to be a slow moving storm brining 8"-24" of rain over the weekend. This will cause widespread flooding. Not only will the damage be significant, the waters will be dangerous for any who do not evacuate far enough. Currently, they are thinking it will be a Cat 3-4 when it hits. Winds could be 125 mph. And, it may "stall" or move back out over the water and rebuild itself before moving possibly east - towards New Orleans.

It may be good to keep in mind that we have more than 35 Kingdom Halls in the area are of Texas the storm is expected to flood - and even more in the "area of influence" the storm will impact.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

There is the breaking news alert on the JW news site. 

As of yesterday (Sunday) no deaths if our dear brothers/sisters. Altho naturally many have been displaced (4,141).

All weekend I've been thinking about them and how many K H will have to be replaced, remodeled. 

Wasnt sure if I should list the article.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

If some can make it up here, they can stay at my house.  I have a sofa bed, and good carpeting.  And a two shower stalls.  If they need clothes, the friends in the surrounding neighborhoods would help them out as well.   My funds for this month will go into the WWW.  I know they will use some of this money to rebuild, repair, and give aid to our brothers down there and all throughout the world.   

What reports have come in about actual relief efforts by the Society and the brothers ? The nightly news is filled with all the reports of rescues by both state and federal officials. Probably some of the most touching stories are those about local people jumping in and using what resources they had. So what about us ? Have any of the Kingdom and Assembly Halls been used for relief for both brothers, but also the public at large? This morning Good Morning America reported about criticisms Joel Osten's Compact Center received for not being as quick to respond in bringing relief to the people. Osten said that at first they themselves had issues with flooding there at the Center. But as soon as possible they began responding. I can well imagine the same type of criticism being leveled against us if we have not done what we reasonably could in doing the same. Also, while Houston was not evacuated in view of the expected flooding. This of course was justified in view of negative results from previous evacuations. But in view of what has now happened I wonder how many wish they had while they still had the chance. What direction was given to our brothers there ? I would appreciate a little more in the way of details about the overall conditions there.

GStorrs46

2 minutes ago, GStorrs46 said:

What reports have come in about actual relief efforts by the Society and the brothers ?

This is a partial quote from an announcement posted in Builder Assistant for LDC volunteers.

As outlined on https://www.jw.org, Jehovah’s organization is closely monitoring the situation with Hurricane Harvey and making arrangements for a response. Please remember to review the Working Together Safely (DC-82) information before rendering humanitarian or restoration assistance. If you wish to assist, please keep the following points in mind: If willing and able to volunteer: Please ensure that your DC50 application is completed and accurate. LDC will invite all volunteers through Builder Assistant. Please do not go to disaster area without an invitation from the relief organization via Builder Assistant or a specific branch assignment by letter.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

People in my hometown are panicking and making the gas shortage worse, if there was one. In my hometown you can't buy gas ANYWHERE. The stations are all out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/gas-shortages-in-texas-as-harvey-knocks-out-refineries/

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.