JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast for October 2017

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2360 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:35 PM, Sheep said:

But unfortunately, that same mentality is slowly seeping into the Christian congregation. No wonder I feel the theme of this song is an excellent reminder for all of us (who have a cell phone). I have included an mp3 format version of the song in my small collection of songs.

Thank you, Eric!  Curious -- what are the four other tunes you have in your collection?  Are they "Original Songs" I've missed?  They don't seem familiar...

Edited by Hope

Just now, Qapla said:

This is what I meant about us each having our own personal taste ...... Some of the kinds of music that Uani would like to hear, I would not - and that is OK.

I do NOT like asparagus. Not at all! Some would say that, if I would really give it a try, I would like it. Others say that my palate is just not sophisticated enough and, if I properly trained my palate I would like asparagus. 

Why should I force myself to eat something I do not like just because others think it tastes good? I mean, I do like liver and onions and many I know do not like liver - should I force them to eat liver just because I like it?

Same goes with the music. Johan, just because you may like all the various music styles in the original songs does not mean the rest of us have to. If Uani or me choose not to listen to one of the songs as much as we listen to another, that is our decision.

There are some types of music that, regardless of how theocratic the lyrics may be, I would not want to listen to. I see no reason to continue to tell Uani she should listen to a certain song "until she likes it" - any more than you  or me should

You’re mistaken. It’s not about liking. I might like or not like an article or book, or piece of spiritual music. But I gush it all down anyway, as much and as often as possible. Some people don’t like reading, but they make an effort to read everything the Slave gives them anyway. I love some of the illustrations, I don’t care much about others, but I study them carefully anyway and use them to full extent. One day that particular song with that particular text migh come in handy. That’s why I’m suggesting she should keep the songs in her playlist anyway and that she won’t regret it, even if she doesn’t ‘like’ them right now. Mind you, it’s just a suggestion.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Qapla said:

This is what I meant about us each having our own personal taste ...... Some of the kinds of music that Uani would like to hear, I would not - and that is OK.

That is the way I feel about word games played here. I always start with UNREAD CONTENT and the first four topics are games, that is OK, to each his own.  I would as soon have liver and onions which actually make me sick.  :D ....:sick:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

16 minutes ago, Qapla said:

There are some types of music that, regardless of how theocratic the lyrics may be, I would not want to listen to. I see no reason to continue to tell Uani she should listen to a certain song "until she likes it" - any more than you  or me should

Thank you for your support, John... I do truly appreciate it!  People who love music do tend to be passionate about it.  I'm extremely open-minded with music.. there is just some that is not my cuppa.  I'm not keen on that "Building My Future" country-western type tune.. it gets a skip when it comes round on my flash drive.  I'm sure others just love it.. and that's lovely.  Something for everyone, right?

My guilty pleasure, which developed from a complete, embarrasses, "Yuck" is the Cart song.  It's SOOO corny and hokey and Broadway-lite :uhhuh:... yet, a brother in my car group kept jokingly insisted that I love it, that it's my favorite.  His insistence made me laugh... now I love it like you might love a movie you know is just awful.  Like "Space Balls" or something.  :D

Now I just imagine jazz hands and a kicking chorus line at the end of it.  Works for me!  B)

14 minutes ago, Old said:

That is the way I feel about word games played here. I always start with UNREAD CONTENT and the first four topics are games, that is OK, to each his own.  I would as soon have liver and onions which actually make me sick.  :D ....:sick:

Yeah -- the word games = liver and onions to me, too.  :sick:

17 minutes ago, Old said:

Those game threads are really quite annoying, but if it gives people something, well..

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

Thank you for your support, John... I do truly appreciate it!  People who love music do tend to be passionate about it.  I'm extremely open-minded with music.. there is just some that is not my cuppa.  I'm not keen on that "Building My Future" country-western type tune.. it gets a skip when it comes round on my flash drive.  I'm sure others just love it.. and that's lovely.  Something for everyone, right?

My guilty pleasure, which developed from a complete, embarrasses, "Yuck" is the Cart song.  It's SOOO corny and hokey and Broadway-lite :uhhuh:... yet, a brother in my car group kept jokingly insisted that I love it, that it's my favorite.  His insistence made me laugh... now I love it like you might love a movie you know is just awful.  Like "Space Balls" or something.  :D

Now I just imagine jazz hands and a kicking chorus line at the end of it.  Works for me!  B)

Yeah -- the word games = liver and onions to me, too.  :sick:

The cart song is corny and Broadway and fun, and it has a special place in my heart. (And I don’t even ‘like’ Broadway songs).

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Thank you, Eric!  Curious -- what are the four other tunes you have in your collection?  Are they "Original Songs" I've missed?  They don't seem familiar...

They are all taken from videos or events for which no stand-alone video or mp3 was released. So, one at a time...

Sing Praises in Imitation of Jesus (from the 2015 Regional Convention)

Remember Your Grand Creator (I did this one at the request of a sister)

"Soon It Will Be A Reality" and "The Promised Land" were both performed during the 142nd Gilead Graduation program

Does that help any?

10 minutes ago, Sheep said:

They are all taken from videos or events for which no stand-alone video or mp3 was released. So, one at a time...

Sing Praises in Imitation of Jesus (from the 2015 Regional Convention)

Remember Your Grand Creator (I did this one at the request of a sister)

"Soon It Will Be A Reality" and "The Promised Land" were both performed during the 142nd Gilead Graduation program

Does that help any?

Oh, yes -- thank you!

I love possessing these "vault" recordings...  B)  I'm the envy of my service group!

The experience of the Congolese brother was faith-strengthening.  Now at the tender age of 88, he reflected back on his service to Jehovah and has been through so much since becoming a young circuit overseer in the 1960's:

- Traveling very long distances on bicycle to meet with brothers and sisters in small villages.

- Boldly exposing the false claims of those who were "JW's" and escaping/experiencing death threats from them.

- Seeing his children, his grandchildren and great grandchildren ALL serving Jehovah up until this day.

I was truly touched as he was near tears expressing his gratitude to Jehovah for all that God had done for him.  A wonderful segment indeed!

The Georgia segment had me waving back at them, too!

Edited by Omoyeme

1 hour ago, Omoyeme said:

The experience of the Congolese brother was faith-strengthening.  Now at the tender age of 88, he reflected back on his service to Jehovah and has been through so much since becoming a young circuit overseer in the 1960's:

- Traveling very long distances on bicycle to meet with brothers and sisters in small villages.

- Boldly exposing the false claims of those who were "JW's" and escaping/experiencing death threats from them.

- Seeing his children, his grandchildren and great grandchildren ALL serving Jehovah up until this day.

I was truly touched as he was near tears expressing his gratitude to Jehovah for all that God had done for him.  A wonderful segment indeed!

The Georgia segment had me waving back at them, too!

a beautiful and touching experience indeed! Knowing how much effort he exerted for Jehovah during his CO years to preach in a vast territory. I need to watch it again because the first time I saw it I didn't see that last part. Tears are blocking my view... :cry:

I listened to the October Broadcast again about Jonathan requesting a sign in seeking Jehovah' direction. This is very interesting point to remember, how he requested and acted once he got the "green light" and knew Jehovah's direction , and not request another sign. I believe I heard  a brother mention "the coal test" in the Annual Meeting presentation, in seeking Jehovah's direction referring I'm assuming to the time Bro. Rutherford requested a crazy amount of coal to resume printing in WWI days.

Edited by alohapaulette

5 minutes ago, alohapaulette said:

I listened to the October Broadcast again about Jonathan requesting a sign in seeking Jehovah' direction. This is very interesting point to remember, how he requested and acted once he got the "green light" and knew Jehovah's direction , and not request another sign. I believe I heard  a brother mention "the coal test" in the Annual Meeting presentation, in seeking Jehovah's direction referring I'm assuming to the time Bro. Rutherford requested a crazy amount of coal to resume printing in WWI days.

Sometimes they do the fleece test.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Sometimes they do the fleece test.

That was mentioned on a recent JWBroadcasting video but I can’t remember which one!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 10/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, Sheep said:

Our congregation never had that letter read either. Of course, here in Canada no one was invited to listen in (to my knowledge). So I guess we didn't need the letter? It's a nice song to learn either way.

Yes, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and I am a stone-throw away from New York and Warwick. We do not even know that the Annual meeting took place. We had no letter read. We know nothing. We most likely have to wait for the Annual Meeting program until it is posted on jw.broadcast. Just across a little bit of water, no more than a few feet, our brothers and sisters enjoyed the program this weekend.
I am in tears,
Inge

2 hours ago, inge said:

Yes, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and I am a stone-throw away from New York and Warwick. We do not even know that the Annual meeting took place. We had no letter read. We know nothing. We most likely have to wait for the Annual Meeting program until it is posted on jw.broadcast. Just across a little bit of water, no more than a few feet, our brothers and sisters enjoyed the program this weekend.
I am in tears,
Inge

You must have a really strong arm. Niagara Falls looks to be about 5-6 hours from Warwick - that is more than "a few feet" where I come from.

If you were only a few feet from the program, why didn't you go and ask if you could attend .... the program was open to the public - at least it was at our Hall.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~