JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast for October 2017

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2388 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, Jjwhittier said:

Bro. Tortuga what assembly hall do you work at here in California? Norco?

Fairfield.

As Tim said, I saw the first Norco when it was built but I was too young to help however I was baptised there in 72.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Whatever the title, it's not going to be a particular favorite in my music rotation.. not a fan. :(

The sentiment is valid but I don't like thr song that much..

Maybe it’ll turn out growing on you, the way they tend to do?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

17 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Could you have misheard "Put—put down your device" as "Put down the phone, and look at me".

I went through the video, listening while comparing to the subtitles and it seems to tally. (i.e. only four occurences of "Put down the phone, and look at me")

It's not because of mishearing the phrase that I wrote five occurrences of "Put down the phone, and look at me." Here's the explanation:

I know you get your transcripts from the embedded subtitles in the monthly broadcasts, and in this month's song the phrase "Put down the phone, and look at me" indeed does appear only four times. However, there is one place that the phrase is sung twice in a row, but there is no subtitle for the second time. They are at the 48:03 and 48:12 marks of the broadcast. Notice the second time has no subtitle. That's the extra one I put in my version of the lyrics, and thus I counted five occurrences.

Not that it's a big deal... boredtappingfingers.gif.8def0957992d90c4a8b608b3f2dcf177.gif

8 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Maybe it’ll turn out growing on you, the way they tend to do?

Ehh... I will likely skip it when it comes up, like I do some of the others I don't like that much. Best Life Ever is one, Take Your Time, Building my Future, Choices, a couple others I can't think of right now.

It's okay- there are others I like so well I'll play them ten times in a row! :D

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

It's not because of mishearing the phrase that I wrote five occurrences of "Put down the phone, and look at me." Here's the explanation:

I know you get your transcripts from the embedded subtitles in the monthly broadcasts, and in this month's song the phrase "Put down the phone, and look at me" indeed does appear only four times. However, there is one place that the phrase is sung twice in a row, but there is no subtitle for the second time. They are at the 48:03 and 48:12 marks of the broadcast. Notice the second time has no subtitle. That's the extra one I put in my version of the lyrics, and thus I counted five occurrences.

Not that it's a big deal... boredtappingfingers.gif.8def0957992d90c4a8b608b3f2dcf177.gif

Eric, thanks for elaborating. I also time trying to listen carefully but couldn't find the missing verse.

After you gave the timeframe of 48:03 and 48:12 marks, I did hear it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

4 hours ago, Hope said:

Ehh... I will likely skip it when it comes up, like I do some of the others I don't like that much. Best Life Ever is one, Take Your Time, Building my Future, Choices, a couple others I can't think of right now.

It's okay- there are others I like so well I'll play them ten times in a row! :D

Don’t skip them, listen to them extra carefully. They take a little consideration before you get them. Then there are the easier ones that will stick with you after listening only once or twice.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Not all of us have the same taste - be that food or music.

If Uani does not care for a certain type of music or likes a different type better - what is wrong with that?

I do not think it is our place to tell her what she should like in music any more than we would with food.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 minutes ago, Qapla said:

.Not all of us have the same taste - be that food or music.

If Uani does not care for a certain type of music or likes a different type better - what is wrong with that?

I do not think it is our place to tell her what she should like in music any more than we would with food.

It just take some more effort. It’s like classical music. A lot of it takes a great deal of effort before you ‘like’ it, and then you don’t miss as much as you do as if you regularly skip our songs instead of making an effort to understand them. I do not say she should like them. Nobody could, but it’s a shame to skip them because you don’t think you like them. So, it’s just a suggestion not to skip the more difficult songs.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I was nodding along to the song enjoying myself, and then the line “reverse the addiction.”

Made me stop and think how serious this can be.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Just now, ChrisTheConfused said:

I was nodding along to the song enjoying myself, and then the line “reverse the addiction.”

Made me stop and think how serious this can be.

...and here I am reading your post on my device...:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, JohnFromOz said:

The title of the song is "Look at Me"

IMG_2259.PNG

1 hour ago, Danni said:

Yes, it was Look at Me. Here's the official lead sheet from JW.org: https://www.jw.org/assets/m/1014232/E/wpub/1014232_E_sub_xl.jpg

All right! We finally have an official title! (tu):backflip::ecstatic::thumbsup::bouncing::gun-toot:

In that case it's been corrected in my song collection.

14 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

JWB Oct 2017 - V2 with the missing verse from the music video at 48:12 added.

JWB Oct 2017 transcript - V2.pdf

1 hour ago, Danni said:

Yes, it was Look at Me. Here's the official lead sheet from JW.org: https://www.jw.org/assets/m/1014232/E/wpub/1014232_E_sub_xl.jpg

That missing line is in the official lead sheet too!

13 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It just take some more effort. It’s like classical music. A lot of it takes a great deal of effort before you ‘like’ it, and then you don’t miss as much as you do as if you regularly skip our songs instead of making an effort to understand them. I do not say she should like them. Nobody could, but it’s a shame to skip them because you don’t think you like them. So, it’s just a suggestion not to skip the more difficult songs.

"Look At Me" a type of "young people music" that doesn't really appeal to me (plus he says "me" like "mayy" :D ). :wheelchair:  The message is good.  The others vary from not really liking the tune, the subject matter (I skip ALL marriage/dating songs), the voice of the person singing (that's the deal with Best Life Ever.. ), etc.  It's nothing really personal.  I'm sure friends here have other tunes that don't really ring their bell, so to speak.  It's okay, isn't it? 

I'm just really ticky about music.  :wub:

1 minute ago, Hope said:

"Look At Me" a type of "young people music" that doesn't really appeal to me (plus he says "me" like "mayy" :D ). :wheelchair:  The message is good.  The others vary from not really liking the tune, the subject matter (I skip ALL marriage/dating songs), the voice of the person singing (that's the deal with Best Life Ever.. ), etc.  It's nothing really personal.  I'm sure friends here have other tunes that don't really ring their bell, so to speak.  It's okay, isn't it? 

I'm just really ticky about music.  :wub:

Not sure ‘young people’ would say it’s ‘young people music’, particularly, lol. But put it in your playlist anyway. You won’t regret it one bit. You are writing to someone who is extremely particular when it comes to music - but spiritual music that nourishes me - anything goes. It’s a hunger that can’t be satisfied.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I always put them all in my playlist.  I'm just happy there is more than one song to groove along to!  :)

What I'd REALLY love is if our songs would branch out into different ethnic styles.  It's all pretty Western-centric.  I'd like to hear Original Songs done in a Middle Eastern style, Latin, Asian/Indian, African, Australian popular style, with traditional instruments.  I think that would help bring out our international flavor even more.

3 minutes ago, Hope said:

I always put them all in my playlist.  I'm just happy there is more than one song to groove along to!  :)

What I'd REALLY love is if our songs would branch out into different ethnic styles.  It's all pretty Western-centric.  I'd like to hear Original Songs done in a Middle Eastern style, Latin, Asian/Indian, African, Australian popular style, with traditional instruments.  I think that would help bring out our international flavor even more.

Yeah,  I'm not really into music,  I don't hardly ever have the car radio on, I prefer silence most of the time. ..that way I can hear the voices more clearly..

If we could get a song by Robert Cray, or Robin Trower, Peter Green or John Mayall, maybe even Black Sabbath, I might be able to listen to that.

Ooh, how about the Tedeschi Trucks band? I would really like that one...

:whistling::raspberry::headphones::rockon::lol1:

9 minutes ago, Hope said:

Yes, but I believe they try to make music that might work in many areas of the world. A K-pop song might work for some but perhaps not on a worldwide scale. Instead, the songs are translated and performed in many different languages.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

This is what I meant about us each having our own personal taste ...... Some of the kinds of music that Uani would like to hear, I would not - and that is OK.

I do NOT like asparagus. Not at all! Some would say that, if I would really give it a try, I would like it. Others say that my palate is just not sophisticated enough and, if I properly trained my palate I would like asparagus. 

Why should I force myself to eat something I do not like just because others think it tastes good? I mean, I do like liver and onions and many I know do not like liver - should I force them to eat liver just because I like it?

Same goes with the music. Johan, just because you may like all the various music styles in the original songs does not mean the rest of us have to. If Uani or me choose not to listen to one of the songs as much as we listen to another, that is our decision.

There are some types of music that, regardless of how theocratic the lyrics may be, I would not want to listen to. I see no reason to continue to tell Uani she should listen to a certain song "until she likes it" - any more than you  or me should

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~