JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast for October 2017

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2360 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Skye said:

Put down the phone and look at me!

We all need that reminder. I tell it to my daughter all the time, but I too need quite often to be told the same.

Actually, I thought that was funny Brother Corkern never actually mentioned a title for the song. But that's the title I picked out of the lyrics too.

You're right, Fae. It's a good reminder for all of us... except me. (I don't have a cell phone.) How many times do I see people in the subway, on the street, in the grocery store, virtually everywhere, talking on the phone? And oftentimes they're right next to someone with them... who is not on the phone! How left out that person must feel! I have sometimes thought it would be insulting to talk on the phone while being completely oblivious to the friend (or worse, husband, wife, child, parent) who is standing right next to you. I keep thinking to myself, "Put down that stupid phone and talk to the one you're with, you idiot!" (I'm glad I don't actually say it. But I'm thinking it.) Recently while I was downtown, I saw two guys walking down the sidewalk together, and both of them were on the phone! How inconsiderate! (unless perhaps they were talking to each other)

But unfortunately, that same mentality is slowly seeping into the Christian congregation. No wonder I feel the theme of this song is an excellent reminder for all of us (who have a cell phone). I have included an mp3 format version of the song in my small collection of songs.

Put down the phone, and look at me!

Think—think outside the box.

Be someone who talks.

Don't waste away behind that tiny screen

'Cause you know that there's much more to life

Than friend requests and likes.

Think of all the things we haven't seen.

Well, you—

You'll never see them if you're focused on the superficial.

You need real friends, if you know what I mean.

Look at me,

Can you see

What I see?

Around the world, this happy family.

Look at me.

Do you know

What I know?

That you belong.

Put down the phone, and look at me.

Take—take the time to see.

See what others see.

Don't trade that plastic box for all your friends.

You can make friends you know are true,

Who love Jehovah too,

Who'll stand right by your side until the end.

But you—

You'll never meet them if you're focused on the superficial.

You need real friends, if you know what I mean.

Look at me,

Can you see

What I see?

Look at me.

Do you know

What I know?

That you belong.

Don't let it play you for a fool.

What you're getting could be fact or could be fiction.

Life in the cloud can be so cruel.

Why don't you come back down to earth,

converse, and reverse the addiction?

Put—put down your device

'Cause if you don't think twice,

The best in life will surely pass you by.

Look, listen, taste, and touch—

The things we love so much

Have been here all along.

All you need to do is

Realize what's in your hand is only superficial.

You've got real friends, if you know what I mean.

Look at me,

Can you see

What I see?

Look at me.

Do you know

What I know?

That you belong.

Can you see

What I see?

Look at me.

Do you know

What I know?

That you belong.

Edited by Sheep

Thanks for the song and lyrics, Eric.

Recently we watched a video collection of people walking and using cellphones. The accidents that could have been avoided!!! One was a middle aged lady who fell into a hole in the sidewalk. Really embarrassing!!

Food for thought: what if we used our Bible like we used our cellphones?

I liked the part about the AH maintenance. I'm on the maintenance crew and my wife is on the cooking crew. Our AH is about half the size of Mira Loma so we don't need as many workers. There are about 10 or so in the Landscaping crew, about another 20 or so in the general maintenance and cleaning crews, every one is part of LDC now. Each work day two different congregations in the circuit are invited to come and clean the auditorium, anywhere from 20-40 show up, they don't have to be LDC to work. 

My wife cooks lunch about once a month and usually feeds 60-70 volunteers, I help her if I'm not assigned a job for the day.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Think—Think outside the Box

JW Broadcasting—October 2017

Think—think outside the box. Be someone who talks.

Don’t waste away behind that tiny screen

’Cause you know that there’s much more to life

Than friend requests and likes. Think of all the things we haven’t seen.

Well, you—

You’ll never see them if you’re focused on the superficial.

You need real friends, if you know what I mean. Look at me.

Can you see What I see? Around the world, this happy family.

Look at me. Do you know

What I know? That you belong.

Take—take the time to see. See what others see.

Don’t trade that plastic box for all your friends.

You can make friends you know are true,

Who love Jehovah too,

Who’ll stand right by your side until the end.

But, you—

You’ll never meet them if you’re focused on the superficial.

You need real friends, if you know what I mean.

Look at me. Can you see What I see?  Around the world, this happy family.

Look at me. Do you know What I know? That you belong.

Don’t let it play you for a fool.

What you’re getting could be fact or could be fiction. Life in the cloud can be so cruel.

Why don’t you come back down to earth, converse, and reverse the addiction?

Put—put down your device

’Cause if you don’t think twice,

The best in life will surely pass you by.

Look, listen, taste, and touch—

The things we love so much

Have been here all along. All you need to do is

Realize what’s in your hand is only superficial.

You’ve got real friends, if you know what I mean.

Look at me. Can you see What I see?

Look at me.

Do you know What I know? That you belong.

Can you see What I see?

Look at me.

Do you know What I know?

That you belong.

Put down the phone, and look at me

(Thanks, again, for the written transcript, Brother Chew!!!)

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

Actually, I thought that was funny Brother Corkern never actually mentioned a title for the song. But that's the title I picked out of the lyrics too.

Put down the phone, and look at me!

Think—think outside the box.

I think "Put down the phone, and look at me!" is a likely title as the verse appears several time in the song.

I initially thought the title was "Think—think outside the box."

Just now, WilliamChew said:

I think "Put down the phone, and look at me!" is a likely title as the verse appears several time in the song.

The transcript calls the song "Think--Think Outside the Box". :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

The transcript calls the song "Think--Think Outside the Box". :D

That's a possibility. But that is only the first line, and is only heard once during the song.

But "Put down the phone, and look at me" is heard five times (four in William's transcript).

We'll see what it's called in two weeks when the stand-alone video and the official mp3 version are released.

Today is October 2nd and we haven't had that letter read yet, tomorrow is our last meeting before the AM, so I'm hoping one of the elders catches sight of this letter before our meeting tomorrow.

That's another reason I love this site, even if your elders make a mistake and drop the ball, you aren't left out in the dark - thanks to you friends I have time to download the sheet music and practice the song to be sung!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

34 minutes ago, Sheep said:

That's a possibility. But that is only the first line, and is only heard once during the song.

But "Put down the phone, and look at me" is heard five times (four in William's transcript).

We'll see what it's called in two weeks when the stand-alone video and the official mp3 version are released.

Could you have misheard "Put—put down your device" as "Put down the phone, and look at me".

I went through the video, listening while comparing to the subtitles and it seems to tally. (i.e. only four occurences of "Put down the phone, and look at me")

31 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Could you have misheard "Put—put down your device" as "Put down the phone, and look at me".

I went through the video, listening while comparing to the subtitles and it seems to tally. (i.e. only four occurences of "Put down the phone, and look at me")

Br. Chew, it is nice to see your comments again.

2 hours ago, Jjwhittier said:

Bro. Tortuga what assembly hall do you work at here in California? Norco?

Hi John, good to see you here.

You may not be aware but certain types of turtles have rather odd sleeping patterns.

There is a very real probability that Brother Tortuga may not poke his head out for some time yet, probably many hours.

He is not as young as he used to be and he has always needed extra beauty sleep. .

Many years ago my family lived in Santa Ana,  Ca. When the very first Norco Assembly Hall was built my dad and some of us kids got to work on it.  Pops built the arch over the main entry door, I got to weld on one of the wide flange beams. I'm not sure what my brother Tortuga helped with but I'm sure he did his best...

(He doesn't live in Norco, a bit farther north)

9 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Good morning.  I have the writing on the bottom of my TV screen and the word 'device' was printed out on the screen - maybe only once though - I haven't read  the printed lyrics yet  from my JW info, but, yes, the TV writing did have the word device.  I am HOH (hard of hearing) so I had to watch the words to understand the song.  

12 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

JWB Oct 2017 transcript.

JWB Oct 2017 transcript.pdf

Thank you Brother Chew..what a fine transcript..with links from the contents to each page!! Thank you for the effort you put into this!!!:lol:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

11 hours ago, Sheep said:

Whatever the title, it's not going to be a particular favorite in my music rotation.. not a fan. :(

The sentiment is valid but I don't like thr song that much..