JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I should bite the bullet and format my SD card as "internal storage" but I'd have to transfer everything on it to my computer and then transfer it back and that's a ton of stuff!  Guess it might be easier to uninstall and reinstall JW Library if the publications are indeed supposed go to to my SD card and aren't and just redownload the publications.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Ok, I can understand that, so when I click the link on the study pane header it goes to the Bible and highlights just the cited verses and grays out the rest, however when I try to stream it, it starts reading from the beginning of the chapter and does not start at the highlighted verse. 

I think that's because the recording is not divided into verses, they are complete chapters. If you go to the Bible on JW.org and click on audio, you find complete chapters too.

4 hours ago, shali said:

I should bite the bullet and format my SD card as "internal storage" but I'd have to transfer everything on it to my computer and then transfer it back and that's a ton of stuff!  Guess it might be easier to uninstall and reinstall JW Library if the publications are indeed supposed go to to my SD card and aren't and just redownload the publications.

Sister, I think I saw in this forum saying that publications are downloaded to internal memory, only media (music and videos) can be downloaded to SD Card.

42 minutes ago, dvds said:

Sister, I think I saw in this forum saying that publications are downloaded to internal memory, only media (music and videos) can be downloaded to SD Card.

That is what I thought too!  There is no way that just downloading all the publications caused my JWLib app to grow to 29 GB!  I must of downloaded some music or media before we got the option to download media to an SD card.  I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling the app and downloading only what I need right now.  The app was really "buggy" and I think it was because it was taking up a majority of my internal memory in my tablet (32 GB).  So I'm starting from scratch and hoping for the best! (I forgot to unmount and remove my SD card before I uninstalled my app, so this could take a bit longer than I had hoped! Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!!!!)

47 minutes ago, dvds said:

By the way, if you transfer this App to your SD card, then EVERYTHING goes there, even the publications.

6 hours ago, shali said:

Sounds like the publications go into the internal memory then from that file name.  

How big is the JWLib app on your tablet right now Musky?

Hi Shali

I have Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 ( only cos I couldn't afford the Note, my favourite :'( LOL )  running Android version 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I have JW Library stored in my SD card.  Size is 21.39GB

I have been through publications on my SD card and there don't seem to be any on there, just jpgs, so all the pics associated with the publications.not the actual publications.  

I guess this means that all the actual publications are stored in the device memory.

I have the App set to download to SD Card.  

PS I have just read your latest post which you wrote while I was writing this,  Not sure why my publications aren't on my SD card, then.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Yes, Terri that helps!  Unless you transfer JW Library to your SD card, only video's and media go to the SD card (if you have that checked in the settings) but publications go to the internal memory in the app.  If you transfer JW Library to your SD card , then everything should go there.  But JWLib was taking up 29 GB of a 32 GB tablet so I must of downloaded some video's or music  before the option was given us of downloading to an SD card and it was easier to remove everything then go through 1000 files that were totally named something different on my SD card and find out which files were NOT in my internal memory.

8 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Hi Shali

I have Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 ( only cos I couldn't afford the Note, my favourite :'( LOL )  running Android version 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I have JW Library stored in my SD card.  Size is 21.39GB

I have been through publications on my SD card and there don't seem to be any on there, just jpgs, so all the pics associated with the publications.not the actual publications.  

I guess this means that all the actual publications are stored in the device memory.

I have the App set to download to SD Card.  

PS I have just read your latest post which you wrote while I was writing this,  Not sure why my publications aren't on my SD card, then.

Has JW Library been in your SD card from the get-go? Did it first install straight onto your tablet?

3 minutes ago, shali said:

Has JW Library been in your SD card from the get-go? Did it first install straight onto your tablet?

Yes, it initially went to my tablet.  Does this mean I have to redownload direct to my SD card?  Bother.  I want to get a 256GB SD card .. currently have 128gb.  Might get the 256 first then start again.

No, you don't have to redownload.  Go to "settings" and then "apps"and then long-press on JWLibrary and then go to "Storage" and you will see "Storage Used" and it should say "internal memory" and there will be a button below it that says "change" , click on that and it will give you the option of transferring JWLib to your SD card if you want the app and all the internal data (publications) transferred to your SD card, click on "move".  (Mind you, this is in Android Nougat) The app will take a second or two longer to load from the SD card but will free up your internal memory of your tablet greatly.

8 minutes ago, shali said:

No, you don't have to redownload.  Go to "settings" and then "apps"and then long-press on JWLibrary and then go to "Storage" and you will see "Storage Used" and it should say "internal memory" and there will be a button below it that says "change" , click on that and it will give you the option of transferring JWLib to your SD card if you want the app and all the internal data (publications) transferred to your SD card, click on "move".  (Mind you, this is in Android Nougat) The app will take a second or two longer to load from the SD card but will free up your internal memory of your tablet greatly.

My JW Library is already on my SD card .. I already moved it, but the publications aren't in there.  The way to do it is the same as Nougat.

Edited by GeordieGirl

That is what I can't figure out!!!! It's driving me crazy.  Where are the "publications?" There are files for them, but none are in there.  Even in the Internal memory, there are no record of the publications!!!! Where the heck do they go?   It's driving me crazy and keeping me up at night!

It may be you have to have a "rooted" tablet to find them because a rooted tablet will show you system files that an unrooted tablet won't.

Edited by shali

1 minute ago, shali said:

Even in the Internal memory, there are no record of the publications!!!! Where the heck do they go?  

Maybe they are just part of the App, not a separate thing.  This would explain why the app is so large. 20/30gb for an app is pretty huge.

From what I understand, the publications are stored in a "hidden directory" that you cannot access or see unless you have "root access".

My tablet and version of Android does not have the options/steps you described - but then, my tablet is a Lenovo.

I have the JW Library app installed and Total Memory used is 802 MB

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, shali said:

It may be you have to have a "rooted" tablet to find them because a rooted tablet will show you system files that an unrooted tablet won't.

No, my tablet isn't rooted. 

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

From what I understand, the publications are stored in a "hidden directory" that you cannot access or see unless you have "root access".

My tablet and version of Android does not have the options/steps you described - but then, my tablet is a Lenovo.

I have the JW Library app installed and Total Memory used is 802 MB

We are not talking about the memory. This is about the storage size.  2 different things.

Exactly, why would our organization build an app that takes up the total memory of everyone's tablet? LOL

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

I have the JW Library app installed and Total Memory used ibs 802 MB

When I first installed the JW Lib app, it was about 500 or more MB. Every publication I install raises that MB.  For some reason my App grew to 29 GB and that took up almost my whole tablet's internal memory (32 GB) so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep that from happening again.

7 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:
7 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

12 minutes ago, shali said:

No, my tablet isn't rooted.

Exactly, if your tablet was rooted  we could figure this out because you could see ALL your system files.

Edited by shali

2 minutes ago, shali said:

Exactly, why would our organization build an app that takes up the total memory of everyone's tablet? LOL

When I first installed the JW Lib app, it was about 500 or more MB. Every publication I install raises that MB.  For some reason my App grew to 29 GB and that took up almost my whole tablet's internal memory (32 GB) so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep that from happening again.

This is why I'm wondering if the publication storage is built into the app itself. It would explain why my storage is less than yours, if I haven't downloaded as many publications as you. If you have a large enough SD card just move it over from internal to external.

Oh yes, I do that before and after I install or uninstall an app.  Moving JW Lib. to external storage (SD) causes it to open slower (I get a blank black screen for several seconds just after it opens and several other things are a bit slower and the note taking capability suffered too) Not horrible, but enough for me to want to find another way around this storage issue.

I don't remember seeing this information so I will post.

On my iPhone it is possible to rearrange the icons at the bottom of the screen.

After pressing More, tabs that won't fit on the display are offered. But also an Edit button. Pressing this will let you rearrange the icons at the bottom, like I have done.

IMG_3183.JPG.3f60d01aa9b5aff222a6e707b54ea3d2.JPG

How did I miss that!?

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I don't remember seeing this information so I will post.

On my iPhone it is possible to rearrange the icons at the bottom of the screen.
After pressing More, tabs that won't fit on the display are offered. But also an Edit button. Pressing this will let you rearrange the icons at the bottom, like I have done.

IMG_3183.JPG.3f60d01aa9b5aff222a6e707b54ea3d2.JPG

How did I miss that!?

Human you are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...