JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do You Roku?

The Roku Streaming Player, or simply Roku (/ˈrk/ ROH-koo),[1] is a series of digital media player set-top boxes manufactured by Roku, Inc. Roku partners provide over-the-top contentin the form of channels. The name comes from the Japanese word  (roku) meaning "six" and was named so because it was the sixth company that Anthony Wood (CEO 2002-) started.[2][3] A Roku streaming device gets data (the video stream) via a wired or Wi-Ficonnection to an Internet router. The data is output via an audio cable, video cable, or HDMIcable. The device can be connected to any television set (or other video display device) with appropriate input connections.

Programming and content is available from a wide variety of global providers.

We have a Roku 2.  I didn't think I'd like it but I was wrong.  Can't live without it. We don't have cable. Everything we watch is online or downloaded. 

Do you have a Roku? What apps do you use? 

We have 

JW Broadcasting 

Hulu for current TV shows except CBS 

Netflix for movies, reruns, and Netflix programs 

Plex Media Server for downloaded content 

NHL Center Ice shared with my Father in Law 

NBCSN sports programming and CBS shows 

CBS News for live news

CNN Go for live news but it stopped working 

YouTube 

USTVNOW for network television and sports 

iheart Radio 

Tune in another radio music app

And a few other miscellaneous apps 

Edited by Shawnster

Yes, same model. Caught a sale and got it for 40bux US.

I have 48 stations on the home page,  I only watch about 8 or ten of them tho, maybe not even that many. YouTube and Netflix are probably the most used...if something is going on in the world someone has already posted a video of it...

I have a couple of flying channels,  a couple of gun or mechanic channels,  some history and documentary channels and of course  JW Broadcasting. ..

4 minutes ago, Dove said:

I just checked and you're right, it didn't come up. I always got YouTube through TiVo so I didn't notice that..

I take that back...after watching the circle go around for many minutes (I didn't count) and it not appearing I thought it meant it wasn't coming on after your statement, but when I moved touched the back button on the remote it came on loud and clear. Maybe the different series bring in different channels, I don't know. I'm not sure whether I have Series 2 or 3 but it's the box and not the thumb stick one..the only problem I have with YouTube is not being able to get closed captioning which I really need because of a hearing problem...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

We have a Roku stick on the Livingroom TV. We use it mostly to watch JWB. We used to use it to watch Netflix and a couple other apps but, since we got a semi-smart TV, we use that for Netflix. One of the reasons for this is because the TV automatically resizes the picture to fit the screen while the Roku still shows it in the original format.

The only problem I have with the Roku stick is that the stick and remote are "FM" not "IR" so we cannot use a "universal remote" to operate it. To make it worse, we cannot find the Roku remote - so, the only way we can operate the Roku is through the wifi app on a device - I have it no my tablet.

One of my daughters ha a Roku device on the TV in her room, not sure which model, she uses a "Comcast" app that allows her to stream live TV, with the exception of a couple channels, like CBS.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I love my Roku.  I have Roku 3 and it's worth every penny I paid for it. 

I did away with cable TV and watch YouTube and Netflix.  The only problem is I cannot get the words with YouTube.  However, I watch an old TV panel show from the 1950s and 60s, "What's My Line" and it is hilarious.  Also I enjoy the Hallmark movies.  Most importantly, I watch JW broadcasting.

Edited by Buttons

sentences not spaced correctly

On 10/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, 1gemstone said:

Do anyone know of any good cooking shows on Roku that you can recommend? :chef: 

I have the One Pot Chef app.  It's ok, but the selection is limited.  I also have Food Network.  We just finished watching this season's "Great Food Truck Race."  We also use the Bravo app to watch Top Chef.

I believe there are some cooking shows or food reality tv shows on Hulu.

Advice on using apps like NBCSN or Food Network.  The cable channel apps require you to have a cable account.  You can get around this by having a friend share their account with you.  My father-in-law gave us the email address and password he used to with his cable TV package.  I do not have cable TV, but I use his email address and password for the apps that require it.  It's a loophole, a workaround.

Hulu is also offering a package that includes a lot of cable channels without a cable subscription.  http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/hulu-live-tv-full-channel-lineup-1202407833/  All you would need to do is subscribe to this Hulu package and you would have access to all these channels.

On 10/21/2017 at 8:12 PM, Shawnster said:

We have a Roku 2.  I didn't think I'd like it but I was wrong.  Can't live without it. We don't have cable. Everything we watch is online or downloaded. 

Do you have a Roku? What apps do you use? 

We have 

JW Broadcasting 

Hulu for current TV shows except CBS 

Netflix for movies, reruns, and Netflix programs 

Plex Media Server for downloaded content 

NHL Center Ice shared with my Father in Law 

NBCSN sports programming and CBS shows 

CBS News for live news

CNN Go for live news but it stopped working 

YouTube 

USTVNOW for network television and sports 

iheart Radio 

Tune in another radio music app

And a few other miscellaneous apps 

I've gotten a roku but just watch the broadcast with my roku.  I have antenna type thinggy hooked up to show regular tv to watch the news and other free channels on regular tv. The channels you listed above,  do you pay to watch? 

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I have the One Pot Chef app.  It's ok, but the selection is limited.  I also have Food Network.  We just finished watching this season's "Great Food Truck Race."  We also use the Bravo app to watch Top Chef.

I believe there are some cooking shows or food reality tv shows on Hulu.

Advice on using apps like NBCSN or Food Network.  The cable channel apps require you to have a cable account.  You can get around this by having a friend share their account with you.  My father-in-law gave us the email address and password he used to with his cable TV package.  I do not have cable TV, but I use his email address and password for the apps that require it.  It's a loophole, a workaround.

Hulu is also offering a package that includes a lot of cable channels without a cable subscription.  http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/hulu-live-tv-full-channel-lineup-1202407833/  All you would need to do is subscribe to this Hulu package and you would have access to all these channels.

Thanks, I will look into it.  

• 1 year later...

We haven't considered buying a Roku because we didn't think we needed one, however my wife recently told me she would be interested in watching JWB on the TV. I usually load the JWB videos on a USB and use the smart TV media app to play them but that's a little clunky.

The Roku Express is currently on sale for $25 and it appears to do just what I want. Does anyone here use the Roku Express?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I haven't used the 'Epress' model, but have been using Roku for to watch the broadcasts on our TV. Works flawlessly. Current price is less than a third of what I paid. I suggest you go for it.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

We haven't considered buying a Roku because we didn't think we needed one, however my wife recently told me she would be interested in watching JWB on the TV. I usually load the JWB videos on a USB and use the smart TV media app to play them but that's a little clunky.

The Roku Express is currently on sale for $25 and it appears to do just what I want. Does anyone here use the Roku Express?

Yes, we have the Roku Express.

Excellent and i would recommend this for the broadcast and other apps.

One of my daughters has the express. She has found it to work exceptionally well for streaming TV, watching Netflix and, of course,  :yes:  JWB  :yes: 

I have an older Roku Stick - I have thought about getting a newer one, especially since I lost my remote, but it still works just fine - I just keep using it for JWB (I have the Roku Remote app on my tablet and phone)

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

$25 is a good deal. Right now SlingTV is giving a Roku Express when you subscribe and prepay two months of service. That’s how I got my Roku Streaming Stick. 

On a side note, I wonder why the older Roku technology is now more expensive than the latest and the greatest? 🤔

Edited by leoperales

The Roku channel has ads on it. They are grouped in batches of 3 to 8 (usually) and, as soon as they are shown, the movie (or whatever) you were watching picks up right where you left off.

They have a varied selection of offerings on their channel.

• 2 weeks later...