JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library went "Kaboom"

iirc,

I think it should be mentioned that XP is very out-dated and doesn’t receive updates from Microsoft any more. The Wannacry attacks that caused chaos earlier this year were on XP machines.

If I had an XP machine I would only enable internet access when I needed to update WT Library or JW Library.

(I was able to update an XP machine for about £20 a couple of years ago. I read the agreement and couldn’t find anything that suggested the Windows 10 download was unlawful or inappropriate in any way.)

We wouldn’t want you to lose your precious photos/notes or something. :)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jonathan77 said:

Ok, the 1702 has a new build and will go "kaboom" again if tried to update on XP.  I can do the same again as before and provide a link for download.  Hopefully they won't update the build so often.

Thanks for the warning and thanks for the offer to keep my relic going. ^_^

If I had money, I would have an updated computer to update. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

:offtopic:

I'm sorry as this has nothing to do directly with the update hcf for JW library, however, it could prevent it from working properly.

This is my reason for my post, I received a update from my computer. Is it legitimate? I can't upload my screenshot but it say it's from Dell an update, BIOS current version A09, new version A11. Should I do it?

Please help, I've already updated my library and don't want to mess it up. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Life4u

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

26 minutes ago, Life4u said:

:offtopic:

I'm sorry as this has nothing to do directly with the update hcf for JW library, however, it could prevent it from working properly.

This is my reason for my post, I received a update from my computer. Is it legitimate? I can't upload my screenshot but it say it's from Dell an update, BIOS current version A09, new version A11. Should I do it?

Please help, I've already updated my library and don't want to mess it up. Thank you in advance.

That depends, do you have a dell computer? If so, go into your program list and look for "Dell support assistant" Click on that and let it search for drivers and updates. If it finds a BIOS update is available, then it is legitimate and I would go ahead and let it update the BIOS.

5 minutes ago, Musky said:

That depends, do you have a dell computer? If so, go into your program list and look for "Dell support assistant" Click on that and let it search for drivers and updates. If it finds a BIOS update is available, then it is legitimate and I would go ahead and let it update the BIOS.

Yes my computer is a Dell. Thank you again!

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have the original 2016 edition program installed on my windows 10 PC.  I tried update my Wt Library. The update starts but it doesn't update. It keeps giving me an error "Failed to update Watchtower Library.  Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, Then try again."

I also to apply Package manually using WTLibrary.E.WTE.1702.BASE.UPDATEPKG. The update starts but I still get that same error.

Please Help

51 minutes ago, henksey said:

Hello, I have the original 2016 edition program installed on my windows 10 PC.  I tried update my Wt Library. The update starts but it doesn't update. It keeps giving me an error "Failed to update Watchtower Library.  Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, Then try again."

I also to apply Package manually using WTLibrary.E.WTE.1702.BASE.UPDATEPKG. The update starts but I still get that same error.

Please Help

Are any previous versions of WTLIB on your computer?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, henksey said:

Please Help

There is a security thingy that won't let it install unless you say it is a trusted source.  Check to see if that security thingy is not letting the update update.

Uncheck the Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity box, if there is one:^_^

Run As.jpg.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

All of the above are good pieces of advice.  I found that most of those errors were the kind Br. Richard said.  If you have installed the Library from a previous year, it prevents the update from working.  Directly uninstall all of the previous versions.  Go to the program uninstall page and purposely uninstall the ol ones (2015 for example).  Reboot and then try the update.  If it still does not work, follow Sr. Rosanne's suggestion next.  Let us know how it turns out.

Please Help

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, the 2016 version,   Reboot several times. the  same results

When the update starts, it should close the WT Library program.  Is it doing this?  You can check the Task Manager (right-click the taskbar to find it, and use the "more details" option) to see if it is still open.  Check if it listed in the Background Process section as well.  Also make sure that nothing else, like a folder, called Watchtower Library is open.

Please Help

Doing the update, I checked the Task Manager and no other WT library program was open in Background Process section 

I've been having trouble with WTlibrary crashing. Yes I have the update with a fresh download. I'll click on a scripture in a publication then the screen goes black, I try to go back but then it just stops and I have to bring the program back up. Happened during WT study Sunday, I actually had to uninstall and reinstall during the meeting, quite frustrating. This is 3 times now, others are having similar issues. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:
I've been having trouble with WTlibrary crashing. Yes I have the update with a fresh download. I'll click on a scripture in a publication then the screen goes black, I try to go back but then it just stops and I have to bring the program back up. Happened during WT study Sunday, I actually had to uninstall and reinstall during the meeting, quite frustrating. This is 3 times now, others are having similar issues. 

Is your problem with the WT library CD installation on your windows computer? That's what this topic is about. There is another topic that deals with the JWLibrary.

Confused yet? :)

Edited by Musky

• 3 weeks later...