JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Haven’t done much to the 66. Just got some new valve covers and steel rubber gaskets. Just have to put the decals on.

BCF713D6-C570-4B9D-97B5-E6987EAD14DB.jpeg

B45FA053-F88F-4241-9348-FFE9201682E9.jpeg

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

13 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Wow. Real smooth. Sounds and looks great man. 

Thanks bro... And that’s with the original carburetor that hasn’t been rebuilt since the 90s.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 10:18 PM, Brother Jack said:

Here ya go 🙂 

I pulled the carburetor off a few days ago and dropped it off at the carburetor shop to get rebuilt 🙂

0CBB406F-DFE9-4A2B-81D0-669634261FB6.jpeg

F753934A-DF73-4EDE-8124-539B711F4E13.jpeg

Back during the beginning of the 1970's I used to rebuild carburetors for a parts store I worked for - it was owned by a brother.

I can't really tell for sure - is that a "Carter" ... most of the factory originals were either Carter or Rochester. If a car from that era had a Holley or Edelbrock  it was most likely after-market. GM used a lot of Carter's.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

35 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Back during the beginning of the 1970's I used to rebuild carburetors for a parts store I worked for - it was owned by a brother.

I can't really tell for sure - is that a "Carter" ... most of the factory originals were either Carter or Rochester. If a car from that era had a Holley or Edelbrock  it was most likely after-market. GM used a lot of Carter's.

Yes, I was told it was the original Carter. The guy rebuilding it said it’s worth more than aftermarket ones like Edelbrock. Glad I return the Edelbrock I bought. I hope when I buy a 64 it will have the original carburetor and not some aftermarket one but that’s rare.

I’m just putting this out there but I’m planing on getting one of the following. Cybertruck or Model Y. I’m from California so it makes sense for someone who lives in an area where gas is usually about $4.50 a gallon. And I have to fill up my car at least twice a week, due to traffic and commuting.

image.thumb.jpeg.982c21f8bee222181c6e13a7dc131b40.jpeg

FEA3CCEC-6666-4512-A6D5-FDF8DF8B9C50.jpeg

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

I would like one of these

Rivian will start under expected $69,000 price — Cybertruck effect in  action? - Electrek

We have to fill up way more that twice a week

The only thing is Rivian doesn’t have a charger network nor have there vehicles been tested by any of the government agency’s. Consumer Reports Has not even tested it. I do like the “CONSEPT” but until I see it in person and an actually take a test drive...Plus I live in the Bay Area was in School when Tesla was first getting started in Fremont. I would pass by the factory on my way home. I’ve seen the development over time and have actually been able to drive them here. I have been patiently waiting for improvements and some progress before actually buying one. You know counting the cost of the tower before actually building. If Rivian plays its cards right then yes I would consider it. But I have been in everything except the Semi or the Roadster. The truck would make a great LDC investment due to the onboard Air Compressor, and charger plugs. But the Model Y would be a perfect Service car. We have a couple of bro’s and sisters who use the Model X for service and it works well. I honestly would not be surprised if we do get to use vehicles in the paradise they would be electric.

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

The truck would make a great LDC investment

I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and I'm getting about 3 weeks to the gallon. Great gas mileage 🤣👍🏼

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes, Tesla has been around for a while ... but, I don't like their design for a truck. I need a truck I can work out of and pull a trailer. The R1T, if it proves itself, would be better suited to my needs ... except for the price tag :(

I guess you haven’t actually seen one in person I’m guessing. There’s plenty of room, I’m like 6” 2’ guys I can push the seat way back and be completely comfortable. Also you can attach a trailers. I get it looks kinda funny but you have to consider this thing has serious Towing power. Plus this thing can go off roading with out the fear of having to use the snorkel if ya get muddy. Plus I can afford it. Rivian “Starts” at $69,000 key word there. Ford F 150 is about $40,000 with taxes and fees.Not including the cost for Oil, Gas, General Tune-ups.  Cybertruck has three price points, One Engine $40,000 - Dual Engine $50,000 -  Tri Engine $70,000. All you have to maintain is Washer Fluid, Air Filter and the Occasional Car Wash. I Don’t know it just seems economical. Plus who know they could come out with a different design later on in time. This Truck was designed for Mars and Military use. If all else fails it will be my 7th Armageddon Car. 😂

Edited by Nemo

Er vehicle.

List of Cars that Nemo has owned

Chrysler Van
Dodge Dakota Truck

Nissan Altima

Honda Corolla

Honda Pilot 

Chevy Traverse 

bear in mind guys I’m in mid twenties so I’ve been driving since I legally could. I also had to commute since end of Middle school. So yeah I’ve been driving a lot longer than most kids my age. But y’all are more wise and experienced that me so have at it.

List of vehicles I have owned (keep in mind I have been driving legally, with a license since I was 14 - and I have been driving since I was 8 before I had a license)

Chevy Biscayne

Chevy Impala

Pontiac Star Chief Executive

Buick 4-door sedan (forget the model)

Chevy S-10 (more than one)

3/4 ton Dodge Van with raised roof (4 of them for nearly 20 years)

Dodge Aeries K

Toyota wagon

Nissan Titan

I put at least 100,000 miles on each of those vehicles ... I currently drive the Titan. It had about 23,000 miles when I purchased it, it has 325,000+ now

I have driven several others as well as a variety of farm tractors, backhoes, skid steers, and mini-excavators, fork lifts (I also drove an articulating vibra-compactor when we paved the driveway at an assembly hall) and semi truck

When I say I would rather have the design of the R1T than that of the "Mars Buggy" Tesla calls a truck I know what I am talking about. The R1T is all wheel drive with a separate for each wheel - it is designed to work just fine off-road as the proved when they competed in several cross-country events.

In order to have the load and towing capacity I need in a truck, the price point of the Tesla truck and the R1T are about the same - I have seen the price data. We have a sister in our Hall whose granddaughter sells Teslas.

If the Rivian truck was "iffy" (still needs to prove itself) I seriously doubt Amazon, Ford and T. Rowe Price would have invested the billions they have - especially since Amazon has already ordered 100,000 vans for delivery

Has the Cybertruck proved itself? (The Cybertruck is scheduled to be released in late 2021 for the single-motor RWD version. The dual-motor all-wheel and the tri-motor versions will be released in late 2022) No more than the R1t has ...

The only reason why Ford, Amazon, and Price Have put money into it is based on the proposal and rights to Rivians Designs and  Electric parts. “

Ford and its luxury brand Lincoln have canceled an all-electric SUV that was going to be powered by technology provided by EV startup Rivian, the companies told Automotive news on Tuesday.

Lincoln says it is still working closely with Rivian, including an “alternative vehicle” that will also be based on Rivian’s electric vehicle skateboard platform. 

“Given the current environment, Lincoln and Rivian have decided not to pursue the development of a fully electric vehicle based on Rivian’s skateboard platform. Our strategic commitment to Lincoln, Rivian and electrification remains unchanged and Lincoln’s future plans will include an all-electric vehicle,” a spokesperson from Lincoln told The Verge in a statement.”

Amazon released a closer look at its upcoming new electric delivery van built by Rivian, who is supposed to produce 100,000 of them. Last year, Rivian took a $700 million round of funding led by Amazon, and at the time, they were discussing opportunities to work together.A few months later, we learned that one of those opportunities is building an electric delivery van for the online retail giant.Amazon announced that they are going to buy 100,000 electric delivery vans from Rivian.The project is one of the biggest of its kind, and would represent one of the largest deployment of electric vehicles in the world.It’s also an order likely worth over $4 billion for Rivian, which is massive for a startup.At the time, we didn’t know much about Rivian’s new vehicle for Amazon.Now the company is releasing a closer look at the development of the electric delivery van, which Amazon claims will enable them to build the world’s most sustainable fleet.

Bottom line they are making EV, I give them credit for diversity. But they lack the service, Sentry (Security) And most importantly Auto-Pilot. That’s where this idea between those companies changes I was focused on just the aspects of just the vehicle itself. But they have cameras all around themselves and GPS/Internet service. I’ve been in car accidents and have had my car broken into. Because of those features I would feel safe knowing that I’d the car is stolen that it could take control of the vehicle and lock the guy inside till the cops showed up or film the whole thing for evidence. Also in a car accident the car is constantly filming its surroundings so I would have video proof of who caused the car accident or who was at fault. This brings us to the craziest car accident. Uber driver with passengers + beer. Was behind us, missed there exit cut around us. I slowed down...they are swerving like crazy. I’m trying to get out of that lane, but they go from 80 MPH to 0 on the highway I’m doing like 50 dropping as fast as I could. Based on rain and other factors with there being no other option to change lanes we collided. We had cars on both the left and the right. The guy behind me slowed down when I slowed down. We hit and my younger brothers car got the hood all bent Everything else was fine. No physical injuries in either car. Now the whole reason why I was in my younger brother car was because I was teaching him how to drive on the freeway before his drivers test. We just changed seats and we were on our way home. Had we not done that I’m sure we would have been in a serious accident. Turns out the Uber driver is plastered, the passenger are all scared and they ordered a Lyft car. We exchanged information, his stuff was expired. I told him CHP was on there way due to the empty cans of beer. He freaked out and left. Now if I had cameras that whole thing would have been recorded. Thankfully we survived, and I contacted individuals to get info for the driver. Turns out the guy was way shady and was using expired docs. Insurance covered the damage but his car was a total loss since it was so old. So yeah. Cameras & Auto Pilot’s would be nice.

3625A5DC-6831-4DB8-8AD4-4BBF69058738.jpeg

Unfortunately, we live near one of the infamous "auto pilot" death of a person in a Tesla ... not sure if I am ready for autopilot.

I can install my own dash cam.

You are welcome to drive the Tesla all you want - I would still rather have an electric truck that, to me, looks like a truck - not a military vehicle or a Mars Buggy.

I'm going back to the regular theme of this thread now .........

14 hours ago, Qapla said:

Chevy Impala

Which Impala?

I had a 96 Impala SS. It was a dark cherry metallic, DCM, the fast color...😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If I remember right, it was was an late 70's model with a vinyl top, 4 door

Got it used for $50 because it was going to be towed from the apartment complex where I was doing some work. Had to do a brake job on it before I could drive it home.

It worked OK for a year or so then threw a rod right through the side of the block

It was a very comfortable car and had power everything. It was very nice to use till it threw that rod -quite unexpectedly 

Edited by Qapla

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing work around the house and hadn’t had much time to work on the car. I picked up the carburetor quite a while ago and put it on. Also later replaced the vacuum advance. The car runs extremely great now.

BD90886A-5A78-4BD1-AD27-FDF62941B50B.jpeg

5157A81A-FE78-4B85-A62E-3FA10F1C73C0.jpeg

F021C35E-7A4E-4B49-B634-7F695FF9CB94.jpeg

328FF150-FB3A-4007-BE31-FBFCE55A9AFE.jpeg

Got my wheels a week ago. I went with Dayton Wire Wheel. They’ve been making all American made wheels since 1916. Finally got the tires mounted, balanced and put on the ride. Now it‘s actually starting to look like a lowrider. I originally didn’t want to put wheels on the car until it was done... but Dayton has a three year warranty and I don’t want to waste a full year of the warranty with them sitting in the house in case some spokes get loose within 3 years of me rolling them. 

Now with the wheels on, I’m starting to actually grow a love for my car. I’ve always liked 66’s but never loved them like the 58-61 and 63-64 impalas, mainly because the back end is no plain. The back end is starting to grow on me. I think it won’t look so plain when the bumper guards are put on.
Here‘s some pics of it with the wheels 😎

9B2E1508-5F4F-4107-BB9D-59C9A9CDDC6F.jpeg

F8DA313D-5DE7-4FF5-A271-1C7163FEAAB3.jpeg

C0C8954E-DFF5-4616-B9E6-D9437DA6654F.jpeg

F5EB7984-E0AE-45EE-A64D-4C4E9C6A1DA4.jpeg

F27CC674-8BAE-44BE-8F57-84058756736F.jpeg

1DE6D6EC-BAE1-482A-B420-5FFFFF9F6D57.jpeg

4ADD2153-0A6A-4202-BD12-795F65CDE574.jpeg

Nice looking ride. Those wheels fit perfectly - good choice.

I prefer the look of the 4-door over the 2-door ... but, that's me.

Looking under that hood took me back a bit. I drove several GM products and always liked the "peek-a-boo" distributor - so much easier than what Ford and Chrysler had. Really liked being able to adjust the points while the car was running instead of the "set-start-dwell-shut off and repeat" several times till you either got it right or got tired of playing with it.

"Also later replaced the vacuum advance. The car runs extremely great now." Have you checked the automatic choke to make sure the spring is still good?

Edited by Qapla