JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

"Also later replaced the vacuum advance. The car runs extremely great now." Have you checked the automatic choke to make sure the spring is still good?

I checked the spring when I took the carburetor off. It seems to still be good.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Love good car talk! Been a car guy since about 9. Mom & Dad had a beautiful’57 Pontiac Starchief hardtop. That special Green with creamy spear and roof. That’s when I started learning all kinds of car stuff by helping. You know “hand me that 1/2 inch socket...no, this is a 9/16th, the next one smaller”. Ya, that’s where it starts. 

Getting older now, so some think that fast should be past...but some of the best And most exciting cars are still available for less money than a new car.  My history is littered with fun cars, most of which I should have kept...but life moved on, and really who knew how much value they would gain over the years. ‘66 GT350H, just to start.

Those were the days as they say...automotively anyway!

On 1/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, Brother Jack said:

I’m trying to trade my 66 with cash on top for this frame off restored 64 impala. This guy lives about 4 hours from me. It would be a good car for me because all of the hard work has already been done. It’s not an SS but it is in the silver blue poly paint color that I was already planning on doing a 64 in. This is right up my alley. I messaged the guy on YouTube last night but he hasn’t gotten back with me yet. We’ll see what happens.

The guy who built this car turned it into a lowrider.

Here’s another 64 impala he put together.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw something funny today. I went to Kroger and saw a 59 biscayne. There was a 2020 corvette parked by it but I was so busy looking at the Chevy that I didn’t notice it. After I did notice it I kept looking at the 59 and paid no attention to the corvette. As I was taking pictures the owner of the corvette came walking to his car and was puzzled that I was paying more attention to the classic than his. Just goes to show new cars have nothing on classics! 

5FF02EB0-E8CB-41EA-9B70-56B855C985A1.jpeg

03C3FA8A-93F5-4D67-BAD6-6D6DF4A45922.jpeg

BF4F3315-487E-41F1-BCA2-073C04F2ED5D.jpeg

I used to have a 1965 Biscayne 2-door with a 230 cu 6 cyl  ...   it was my first car.

1965 Chevrolet Biscayne 2-Door | F77 | Kansas City 2010

1965 Chevrolet Biscayne Two Door Sedan | Classic cars chevy, Classic cars  muscle, Chevrolet sedan

Mine was white with a turquoise roof - it was a "hand-me-down" when my mother bought a new 1970 Impala 4-door with A/C and power steering and power brakes.

Mine had a two-speed powerglide automatic transmission and no power steering or brakes and no A/C - didn't even have a radio until I put one in (radios used to be "optional equiment". A car in Florida without A/C is not all that fun but I pioneered with it anyway.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 months later...

Let me know what you guys think of the 2021 BMW M4 and M440i compared to the 2020 BMW M4. In recent years I’ve been paying more attention to the M4’s and really started to want one. Plus I’ve always liked BMW. I was on the fence about buying one and even thought that 2020 would be the perfect year to to get one because I couldn’t see BMW topping that design... then the 2021’s came out and I think they are absolutely HIDEOUS 🤢 

The grille looks like rabbit teeth. The 440i isn’t as bad from the front and I kind of like it.

In my opinion the 2020 M4 looks way better. What do you guys think?

Here’s some videos to compare...

2020 BMW M4

2021 BMW M4

2021 BMW M440i

8 hours ago, EccentricM said:

For sme reason I thought this thread was going to be about conversations inside cars.

I thought it was going to be jokes about how to fix cars.  There was a radio show called car talk. A couple of older guys with heavy Massachusetts accents laughing their way through giving advice on cars....there aren’t enough laughs here 😉

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2020 at 11:40 PM, *Jack* said:

Got my wheels a week ago. I went with Dayton Wire Wheel. They’ve been making all American made wheels since 1916. Finally got the tires mounted, balanced and put on the ride. Now it‘s actually starting to look like a lowrider. I originally didn’t want to put wheels on the car until it was done... but Dayton has a three year warranty and I don’t want to waste a full year of the warranty with them sitting in the house in case some spokes get loose within 3 years of me rolling them. 

Now with the wheels on, I’m starting to actually grow a love for my car. I’ve always liked 66’s but never loved them like the 58-61 and 63-64 impalas, mainly because the back end is no plain. The back end is starting to grow on me. I think it won’t look so plain when the bumper guards are put on.
Here‘s some pics of it with the wheels 😎

9B2E1508-5F4F-4107-BB9D-59C9A9CDDC6F.jpeg

F8DA313D-5DE7-4FF5-A271-1C7163FEAAB3.jpeg

C0C8954E-DFF5-4616-B9E6-D9437DA6654F.jpeg

F5EB7984-E0AE-45EE-A64D-4C4E9C6A1DA4.jpeg

F27CC674-8BAE-44BE-8F57-84058756736F.jpeg

1DE6D6EC-BAE1-482A-B420-5FFFFF9F6D57.jpeg

4ADD2153-0A6A-4202-BD12-795F65CDE574.jpeg

I sold my 66 today to an old friend of mine. I decided to part ways with classic cars because my love for them is so intense that it encroaches upon my love for Jehovah and the ministry.

Here’s some engine work I had done before I sold it. Brand new Edelbrock intake manifold with carburetor, air cleaner, valve covers and other parts. I didn’t want to put all that chrome on the engine without painting it and cleaning up the engine bay first but the guy who rebuilt my carb didn’t do the best job and I needed to do something.

CE178B3D-65E7-4937-8037-9E79A392AA44.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Here’s a video I shot some time ago of an old friends 60 Impala. He’s the one that bought my 66.

• 3 months later...

I recently had someone steal the catalytic converter off of my '06 Honda Accord EX. It's a SULEV engine and C.A.R.B. certified for California emissions. That means that if the Honda dealers have the O.E.M. cat. in stock you must install that one and can't install an aftermarket cat. Two dealers that I called locally do have the cats. in stock and the Previous E.O. (Executive Order) earlier this year has been rescinded. 

The dealers charge $2,300.00 to $2,495.00 for the cat. not including a $150.00 core charge and any other piping, heat shields, O2 sensors, and labor. All tolled, the cost is over $3,000.00 and if you want any type of anti-theft provision installed that requires welding, you have to go to a muffler shop and pay at least another $150.00. Without that, there's a good chance the new cat. would be stolen again. I don't have comprehensive insurance on this car due to its age, so I have to pay out of pocket.

The car only has 134,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner and have maintained it in good mechanical condition with no dents or oxidation on the body or paint. I'm still debating whether on not it's worth the expense and I'm leaning toward the thought that it is, because I don't think I could replace it with something comparable for $3,500.00, and I wouldn't want to. It's not a daily driver, so right now it's parked and I can't drive it as is. Decisions, decisions!

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

On 1/27/2021 at 6:13 AM, BLEmom said:

I thought it was going to be jokes about how to fix cars.  There was a radio show called car talk. A couple of older guys with heavy Massachusetts accents laughing their way through giving advice on cars....there aren’t enough laughs here 😉

I think at least one of the, “car talk”, guys is dead. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Car Talk's Ray Magliozzi Visits a Havana Repair Shop

Car Talk's Ray Magliozzi learns how Cuban mechanics have kept keep cars running since the 1950s. He visits two shops outside of Havana and gets his hands dirty on the alignment rack and under a Russian Lada in for a full engine rebuild.

Thomas  Magliozzi (June 28, 1937 – November 3, 2014)

Well, here I am, again. I sold my 2016 Legacy, (for a good price!) and we have ordered a 2022, (I think) Outback, and, if I’m right, it’s the Touring model. 
it’s been a good month since the Legacy has been sold.. I have no vehicle. However my husband has gotten somewhat used of turning me loose in his rig. And, yes, it’s like borrowing the King’s Chariot. He does everything but a walk-around when I come home. As I tell him my Legacy did not have one ding on it. 
I suspect that vehicle I ordered is on some ship, ready to be off-loaded, down in SanDiego. 
Buyin a car was different this year. We didn’t look for a really good price. We took into account how much dealers are now adding to keep their lights on. 
I think some charge as much as $3000 or more. We live in sort of a, um, “deprived” area. So they only added $1500. And we checked.

Plus, the place we got the Legacy at was only selling cars to people who lived  in a 250 mile radius. In Las Vegas. 
The Legacy had only 56000, (or so) miles on it. Not driving it to meetings made a huge difference. The battery even ran down. 
I let my husband talk me into, um, stuff I will never use, nor want to. 
I had to laugh. My son told me not to get that car because it has, “artificial intelligence” in it. A friend of his got one and he let the car drive him up the coast. No hands. 
Well, I gave that thought, and figured the thing cannot bully me into using it’s, “artificial intelligence”. So, I am safe. 
I’m in for an adventure! 

Edited by Miss Bea

Not finished.

6 hours ago, minister159 said:

That means that if the Honda dealers have the O.E.M. cat. in stock you must install that one and can't install an aftermarket cat.

So sorry that happened to you, there is a lot of that going on all over especially bigger trucks and SUV's, I had to put a cat on my 2003 Silverado , bought it new ( it wasn't hacked ) just needed one to pass emissions, I went cheap on an after market, big mistake also used a backyard mechanic to install, another big mistake as he didn't even have it put together tight, I had to go to a shop and have a piece welded on, I still couldn't get the check engine light to go off, other mechanics told me to never go after market on GM vehicles, after about 6 months debating whether to spend more money on it I sold it, 1st guy out pulled out cash and I took it, that was 4 years ago, I've had sellers remorse ever since! Now starting here in January they did away with emission testing.  😧

12 hours ago, minister159 said:

I recently had someone steal the catalytic converter off of my '06 Honda Accord EX. It's a SULEV engine and C.A.R.B. certified for California emissions. That means that if the Honda dealers have the O.E.M. cat. in stock you must install that one and can't install an aftermarket cat. Two dealers that I called locally do have the cats. in stock and the Previous E.O. (Executive Order) earlier this year has been rescinded. 

The dealers charge $2,300.00 to $2,495.00 for the cat. not including a $150.00 core charge and any other piping, heat shields, O2 sensors, and labor. All tolled, the cost is over $3,000.00 and if you want any type of anti-theft provision installed that requires welding, you have to go to a muffler shop and pay at least another $150.00. Without that, there's a good chance the new cat. would be stolen again. I don't have comprehensive insurance on this car due to its age, so I have to pay out of pocket.

The car only has 134,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner and have maintained it in good mechanical condition with no dents or oxidation on the body or paint. I'm still debating whether on not it's worth the expense and I'm leaning toward the thought that it is, because I don't think I could replace it with something comparable for $3,500.00, and I wouldn't want to. It's not a daily driver, so right now it's parked and I can't drive it as is. Decisions, decisions!

I’m so sorry my brother! I tried looking up 06 Honda cats and can only find deals on aftermarket ones. Check this out. Maybe you can still use an aftermarket one?  

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/tech-tips/state-catalytic-converter-guide.html

6 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Well, here I am, again. I sold my 2016 Legacy, (for a good price!) and we have ordered a 2022, (I think) Outback, and, if I’m right, it’s the Touring model. 
it’s been a good month since the Legacy has been sold.. I have no vehicle. However my husband has gotten somewhat used of turning me loose in his rig. And, yes, it’s like borrowing the King’s Chariot. He does everything but a walk-around when I come home. As I tell him my Legacy did not have one ding on it. 
I suspect that vehicle I ordered is on some ship, ready to be off-loaded, down in SanDiego. 
Buyin a car was different this year. We didn’t look for a really good price. We took into account how much dealers are now adding to keep their lights on. 
I think some charge as much as $3000 or more. We live in sort of a, um, “deprived” area. So they only added $1500. And we checked.

Plus, the place we got the Legacy at was only selling cars to people who lived  in a 250 mile radius. In Las Vegas. 
The Legacy had only 56000, (or so) miles on it. Not driving it to meetings made a huge difference. The battery even ran down. 
I let my husband talk me into, um, stuff I will never use, nor want to. 
I had to laugh. My son told me not to get that car because it has, “artificial intelligence” in it. A friend of his got one and he let the car drive him up the coast. No hands. 
Well, I gave that thought, and figured the thing cannot bully me into using it’s, “artificial intelligence”. So, I am safe. 
I’m in for an adventure! 

Congratulations 😁 It’s always exciting getting a new car (after you’re done dealing with the sales people).

10 hours ago, *Jack* said:

It’s always exciting getting a new car (after you’re done dealing with the sales people).

That is so true, I worked ( now retired )for one of the major auto manufacturers so I get the company discount which does help a little but still don't really know if I'm being taken for a schmuck! I'm on my 3rd lease car, it is nice to drive a new car every 3 years without the worry of not having a warranty, this after having kept my bought new 97 Pontiac grand Prix for 24 years ( sold it last year ). Now driving a 2020 Equinox 2 years into a 3 year lease with only 14 K miles so it appears that I will only have about 20-21 K miles at end of lease, I don't think I will be turning it in. My plan is to buy it and drive it until the electrics start rolling of the line at  more reasonable prices. ( reasonable prices, Hah! )

electric car GIF by NowThis

4 hours ago, Lee49 said:

That is so true, I worked ( now retired )for one of the major auto manufacturers so I get the company discount which does help a little but still don't really know if I'm being taken for a schmuck! I'm on my 3rd lease car, it is nice to drive a new car every 3 years without the worry of not having a warranty, this after having kept my bought new 97 Pontiac grand Prix for 24 years ( sold it last year ). Now driving a 2020 Equinox 2 years into a 3 year lease with only 14 K miles so it appears that I will only have about 20-21 K miles at end of lease, I don't think I will be turning it in. My plan is to buy it and drive it until the electrics start rolling of the line at  more reasonable prices. ( reasonable prices, Hah! )

Wow, how many miles did you put on your Grand Prix?

6 hours ago, Lee49 said:

And, on the other hand, my used Legacy value went up, literally 1000’s of dollars. I think it may have doubled in price. Used cars are at a premium. (Never Mind the fact I sold mine, until it gets itself off the slow-boat from Japan, I am without my vehicle) The dealer really wanted my rig, and we knew we could sell it for more. We sold it ourself, and added some $4000 to it. In two days. 

Edited by Miss Bea

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

(Never Mind the fact I sold mine, until it gets itself off the slow-boat from Japan,

• Maybe off a slow-truck from Lafayette! 
  •  
  • All Subaru Outbacks for the U.S. market are produced in Lafayette, Indiana, U.S. at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) assembly plant. SIA is Subaru’s only manufacturing plant outside of Asia and makes 35% of Subarus’s global output. Where are 2021 Subaru Outbacks made?

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:
  • Maybe off a slow-truck from Lafayette! 
  •  
  • All Subaru Outbacks for the U.S. market are produced in Lafayette, Indiana, U.S. at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) assembly plant. SIA is Subaru’s only manufacturing plant outside of Asia and makes 35% of Subarus’s global output. Where are 2021 Subaru Outbacks made?

Ah hah. Then it’s that computer glitch thing.

Or as you said, “slow-boat from Lafayette”.