JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any good Keto recipes?

So many excellent web sites for Keto Recipes and you tube videos too!  I think the reason I never did very well was I was not prepared.  I had bacon, eggs, cheese, till I couldn’t take it any more.  Now I realize there are so many more options it has been easy.  I enjoy WickedStuffed site, and as Helen mentioned, Ditch the carbs.  So many sites and recipes if I don’t do well this time it is because I just am to lazy to follow instructions or I simply refuse to comply!  I lost 7 lbs (I’m sure water) the first week and have stayed the same this week.  But I have started exercise so I am sure that is why there has not been a change on the scales.  

What will I do different this time?  Be prepared.  Don’t have carb loaded foods around.  Don’t overdo protein.  Track all my macros.  Have a good plan and experiment,  don’t rely on the same ole meal and get bored with the same thing.  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Over time I've managed to learn what kind of macros feel best for my body based on how many times I screwed up. It's okay to eat a lot of protein - but it's harder to define how much is too much for your body's needs or your goals. It's great if you can start off doing all of those things, but once you understand what it's like to be in Ketosis, what is more important is being consistent and maintaining feeling good rather than focusing on numbers.

The trap that I often fall into is eating (mindlessly snacking on, really) protein rather than vegetables, which can take much longer to prepare. So I cook as simply as possible, usually just steaming or pressure cooker. (Proverbs 23:20, 21) Do not be among those who drink too much wine, Among those who gorge themselves on meat, 21 For a drunkard and a glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe one with rags. (Proverbs 28:7) An understanding son observes the law, But a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.

Thankfully, it's usually pretty easy to add fat to any meal... it's just remembering to always include it. I find it helpful to remember how everything sacrificed to Jehovah and fed to the priests required oil, and how he also gave the priests the breast (+ribs?) and the leg (+knuckle/marrow?) of animal sacrifices.

(Leviticus 2:4-7) “‘If you present a grain offering that has been baked in the oven, it should be of fine flour, unleavened ring-shaped loaves mixed with oil or unleavened wafers spread with oil. 5 “‘If your offering is a grain offering from the griddle, it should be of fine, unleavened flour mixed with oil. 6 It should be broken into pieces, and you are to pour oil on it. It is a grain offering. 7 “‘If your offering is a grain offering prepared in a pan, it should be made of fine flour with oil.
(Exodus 29:26-28) “Then take the breast of the ram of installation, which is offered in behalf of Aaron, and wave it back and forth as a wave offering before Jehovah, and it will become your portion. 27 You are to sanctify the breast of the wave offering and the leg of the sacred portion that was waved and that was taken from the ram of installation, from what was offered for Aaron and for his sons. 28 It is to become Aaron’s and his sons’ by a permanent regulation to be carried out by the Israelites, for it is a sacred portion, and it will become a sacred portion to be given by the Israelites. It is their sacred portion for Jehovah from their communion sacrifices.

I also really struggle to plan, track or visualize macros. It doesn't help that I've grown up learning imperial and most guides are in metric. The best help I've had for staying consistent in eating patterns is learning portion control based on my hand size. Despite it being dailymail, this is one of the better visual guides for using hand size for food portion: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3331095/Handy-guide-portion-sizes-Never-know-food-Use-formula-figure-right-eat.html#ixzz3sPHMixta

So what I do is try to limit myself to around a palm size chunk of meat at each meal (I don't always have protein with dinner), and at least a fist size chunk of veg with each meal. I always try to eat the protein first followed by as much fibrous greens and fat as needed to get myself well and full.

Portion-sizes-rippedbody-macro-wizard-10

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, LeslieDean said:

love you!  I am going to my kitchen now to make this!  

What are you going to make? Roasted veggies or that new fat bomb? Lol If it's the latter, I've begun to notice that sans pecans, this stuff tastes like Texas Roadhouse butter. I'm going to whip up another batch and make some LC rolls. :)

I'll give you one more tidbit.. Fathead dough. This stuff has changed my life. I make pizza out of it, breadsticks, I've made bagels... there are endless ways to use this. Not that I eat this kind of thing all the time, but now I don't have to drool on my kids pizza when they order out. Hahaa

I actually finally tried some zucchini. Meh, it's... fine. <_< It would be better made into some kind of mix dish, it's more of a carrier food like other squash. I prefer the flavor of cucumbers. I'm honestly kind of confused, maybe even saddened as to why most people eating Keto and recipes still try to emulate a grain-based diet with baking flours and artificial sweeteners and a lot of dairy as well. It seems to cause many of the same kind of blood sugar and insulin rebound issues due to brain habits and the taste receptors for sweetness? I was on raw milk for a couple years, which was better than pasteurized, but still caused a lot of sinus and skin and some digestion issues that I found out once I stayed off of it. It seems easier to just let the cravings die altogether. (Pr 13:12) Apparently you can make AIP friendly veggie 'cheese' from cauliflower and seaweed gelatin... but I'd rather just eat Nori itself and the cauliflower with ghee. It would cause less impact on the gut, and if I wanted some tang I could always add coconut aminos.

https://ketosummit.com/is-cheese-keto https://ketosummit.com/keto-substitute-dairy https://bepaleoandthrive.blogspot.pt/2014/07/this-has-nothing-yet-everything-to-do.html

Edited by Myew

4 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

Be prepared.

Biggest part to eating healthy on a budget. 

Otherwise we would buy whatever's available to us and that can be not healthy for us. We can also buy other foods that are healthy for us but they are much more expensive and can be counter active.

Prep like the day before or that morning for lunch and dinner, makes it easy to have a good meal and one that is Keto.

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

Ive not tried the fatheaddough yet.  But I really like the skillet pizza where cheese alone makes the crust.

have you ever zapped pepperonis on a paper towel in the microwave to rid all the grease?  I do 30seconds then wait one minute and do another 30 seconds.  They come out like chips!  I used them with homemade marinara, or onion or ranch dip.  I am not crazy about pepperoni but this way I love it! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

33 minutes ago, njwinans said:

Tell me more...

It's kind of like the instructions that we may receive in the future.. may sound weird, but follow them anyway. Lol  There are tons of recipes online that are pretty much the same, you'll just see what everyone is doing with it. I actually really like cauliflower crust as well. 

7 hours ago, Myew said:

I'm honestly kind of confused, maybe even saddened as to why most people eating Keto and recipes still try to emulate a grain-based diet with baking flours and artificial sweeteners and a lot of dairy as well.

Because cravings, bro Alex. Hahaaa 

You are right. It is better to avoid these things. I try, but sometimes I just really want to sink my teeth into a nice, crusty pizza.. Maybe this desire is what helped me to get fat to begin with. Lol I can't help it. I'm a foodie. Love different flavors from different areas of the world. I have a ridiculous spice collection and enjoy experimenting. 

I wish I was as strict as you seem to be. I really, really do. If I was more like you, I would stop getting kicked out of ketosis so often. Happens way too easily and usually it is because of the vegetables that I love so much. The only dairy I routinely have is a tablespoon or so of heavy cream in my coffee in the morning. 

Since you seem really well educated on this topic, I wanted to ask if you have an opinion on exogenous ketones. I'm on the fence, but supposedly it's helpful for those who get kicked out of ketosis often. 

From what I've read and listened to, exogenous ketones can help people learn what mild ketosis feels like, but don't really have any benefits if your diet is already dialed in. More ketones doesn't equal more ketosis, less available glucose equals more ketosis. They could just be floating around in your blood, unutilized, and flushed back out, especially if your body doesn't see them as food. The way I see it, it's kind of like training wheels. They may help at first, but if you're needing to rely on them long term, then it will only promote the underlying problem. I come from the perspective of using functional medicine to treat the root causes of disease rather than the symptoms. (*footnote)

If you're getting kicked out of ketosis often like that, then it sounds like it could be due to emotional cravings or external peer pressure? I think it's important to let people know exactly why you need to give your diet priority, support is very important if you're eating with others. For me, I try to explain that I must adhere to my diet in order to have the cognitive function and physical endurance to serve Jehovah in any capacity. (Galatians 5:16, 17) I can relate to the cravings some, I used to struggle much more with emotional eating. Over time I came to realize that my brain was still trying to fulfill those short addictive bursts of dopamine and habits I struggled with for years. (Romans 7:15-17) Food elicits many of the exact same chemical reactions that emotions do, like chocolate's association with romantic love. (Psalm 104:15) So I decided to track down and break the bonds of emotions or stressors that I was traumatized by and their relation to the food I was eating. (Colossians 3:5) I have to be decisive because I was very sick, to the extent that I had not been able to attend meetings in person and was spiritually dead for nearly 15 years. (1 Corinthians 9:25) I probably am too strict with myself (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder), and I know that thinking like that doesn't actually help me to become more functional. (Colossians 2:23)

Food is one of Satan's most effective and widespread tools that makes it difficult for people to serve Jehovah. It is probably the single most important factor in our physical health and cleanliness, along with sleep. So I had to make it a spiritual matter in order to be more balanced and have stronger self control. (Romans 12:1) It's taken me the last 6 years of improving my diet to get to a relatively functional point, but I still mess up all the time. For example, becoming obsessed with writing things like this and forgetting to eat. :> So since the start of my 'health journey', it's been my constant prayer that Jehovah give me the ability and wisdom to cope with my disorders and the strength to be able to serve him more fully. (2 Corinthians 7:1) I have a mantra of sorts that I treat like a vow but it's not a vow because I am a 'stupid one'. - "My ability to serve Jehovah whole-souled is worth more than what I put into my mouth." (1 Corinthians 10:31) I have seen that when we put Jehovah in first place even in these matters, he makes sure that "there is nothing lacking". (Malachi 3:10)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102011083#h=7 "So if you do not feel well, get help to find and eliminate the cause, instead of merely seeking to relieve the symptoms."
I recently watched all of the KetoFX interviews, which helped me to recognize where I had slipped off track. Unfortunately they are not available for free any longer. :<

https://ketofx.paleofx.com/?a_aid=justinm https://justinhealth.com/the-keto-fx-summit-get-your-keto-questions-answered-dr-justin-with-keith-norris-podcast-172/

(Galatians 5:16, 17) But I say, Keep walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all. 17 For the flesh is against the spirit in its desire, and the spirit against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you do not do the very things you want to do.

(Romans 7:15-17) For I do not understand what I am doing. For I do not practice what I wish, but I do what I hate. 16 However, if I do what I do not wish, I agree that the Law is fine. 17 But now I am no longer the one doing it, but it is the sin that resides in me.

(Psalm 104:15) And wine that makes man’s heart rejoice, Oil that makes the face shine, And bread that sustains the heart of mortal man.

(Colossians 3:5) Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion, hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry.

(1 Corinthians 9:25) Now everyone competing in a contest exercises self-control in all things. Of course, they do it to receive a crown that can perish, but we, one that does not perish.

(Colossians 2:23) Although those things have an appearance of wisdom in a self-imposed form of worship and a false humility, a harsh treatment of the body, they are of no value in combating the satisfying of the flesh.

(Romans 12:1) Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.

(2 Corinthians 7:1) Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

(1 Corinthians 10:31) Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory.

(Malachi 3:10) Bring the entire tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house; and test me out, please, in this regard,” Jehovah of armies says, “to see whether I will not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and pour out on you a blessing until there is nothing lacking.”

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016526#h=28 Read Matthew 6:33. Jehovah can easily anticipate our individual needs regarding food, clothing, and shelter, even before we become aware of them. (Phil. 4:19) He knows what our dietary requirements are. Jehovah will see to it that we have what we really need.

Spoiler

12m0b3.jpg

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Myew said:

emotional cravings or external peer pressure? I think it's important to let people know exactly why you need to give your diet priority,

Peer pressure is there a lot. Friends don't understand why I can't eat whatever just this one time, or they try to tell me that everything in moderation is the way to go. We won't even get into what people say about my intermittent fasting. 

Emotional cravings? Maybe sometimes. My kids eat whatever, so yes, the smell of freshly baked bread or pasta can tempt me.. More often than not, I feel like I get kicked out of ketosis because of sloppiness. If I really concentrate on being strict, I'm fine. If I am not paying attention, I think I slip into not eating enough fat, then the next thing I know I'm eating more in general- mostly vegetables. 

There's something going on with my thyroid (my body is attacking it for some reason) and I have PTSD, which almost guarantees a steady stream of cortisol. Could these things be contributing factors?

6 hours ago, Saffron said:

There's something going on with my thyroid (my body is attacking it for some reason) and I have PTSD, which almost guarantees a steady stream of cortisol. Could these things be contributing factors?

On 6/18/2016 at 5:44 AM, retroHelen said:

I am diabetic with thyroid issues. I know I am gluten/gliadin intolerant - so are most of the population, unkown to them, since wheat was hybridised to indigestable proportions.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:25 PM, GeordieGirl said:

I totally understand Alex's problem with all of this because I feel a lot like he does in relation to what people are saying when they obviously haven't done any research over and above the coeliac problem. 

I love bread, cakes, biscuits, muffins, crackers, pasta and  yes, I can buy some of those in a gluten free form, but I can assure you that in comparison, gluten-free food tastes like cardboard.  As I have never had any weight or diabetic issues and I am not coeliac, why would I ever give up soft yummy crusty bread or cream cakes and chocolate biscuits that I love, and swap to eating cardboard? 

I'll tell you why.  Because all those delicious foods make me ill when I eat them. 

Both Alex and I, along with many thousands of others, have the same health issue, which is not Coeliac, but it causes us to be severely affected by gluten. Many of us have been told by our practitioners, naturopaths, MDs, etc., to cut gluten out of our diets and those of us who have taken their advice are feeling a whole lot better for it.  When I fall of the wagon, I suffer, severly.  

So bearing all this in mind, who do you think that I am going to take advice from?  A researcher, sitting in his little tower with his test tubes, telling me that God doesn't exist and I'm just on a fad diet and gluten isn't actually affecting me at all?  Or my practitioner who has given me advice that has made my daily life more bearable?  

If anyone is interested in learning a little bit more how gluten affects those who aren't coeliac, here are some websites.

https://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection/

https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/autoimmune-thyroid-disease-and-gluten/

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18316/this-is-what-gluten-can-do-to-your-thyroid-it-isnt-pretty.html

https://bmcgastroenterol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-230X-14-26

Your symptoms sound like a double whammy of gluten contamination or crossreactive proteins as well as your intermittent fasting and potentially leaky gut attacking your thyroid and adrenals... the gliadin issue causes your immune system to target the thyroid. PTSD is essentially just more advanced adrenal fatigue as a result of dysfunctional gut & thyroid. :< I had a relative hangry at me just this morning. They were in adrenal fatigue because they didn't eat enough fats with the protein, as well as eating meat with non-autoimmune additives, and likely too many blueberries for breakfast.. They were driving around manically trying to find some protein and fat that they could eat, overreacting whenever I tried to help. It's painful to watch when I myself just managed to find some (hopefully sustainable this time) calmness and clarity. So I've grown up surrounded by and suffering these same exact issues.

The casein in dairy is one of the worst gluten cross reactors. You would want to adopt a strict autoimmune protocol form of Keto for at least a couple of months to compare results to present. Preferably at least 6+ months due to how long the gliadin antibodies can stay active. Personally, I still can't reintroduce most nuts, seeds, or nightshades.. if I start eating them again for a few days - weeks, I will be hurting. You would also want to try and avoid herbicides and pesticides like glyphosate as much as possible by getting organic vegetables (local/fresh if available) if you have leaky gut or cognitive dysfunction symptoms. For myself, I have many underlying gut/nerve infections that my body cannot heal with food alone.

Regarding the intermittent fasting... it's a severe stressor on your body. I've included a few videos and podcasts that go much more in depth from experts who've had autoimmune conditions on the fasting, gluten, and keto w/ adrenal/thyroid issues. The good news is Ketogenic is one of the best diets for adrenal and thyroid issues if you do it right. The basic jist is: while in Ketosis, your metabolism requires lower levels of thyroid hormones to function optimally. You can lower the inflammation, allow your organs to heal, and still feel amazing, even while eating tons of food. It has the be the right kind of food, it can't be exacerbating underlying diseases like autoimmunity and needs to be nutrient dense to prevent malnutrition.

Not everyone does well on a consistent/long term Keto diet. I may need to learn to schedule times that I cycle back into eating higher levels of carbs for short periods to replenish stores. It's just that the last time I went back on carbs due to the constipation issues I was having, I overdid it and could not stop and didn't realize how severely it was affecting my mind. It's taken me about 3 major tries to finally get past the walls I kept running into the previous times I've been serious about Keto: Malnutrition (especially fiber/minerals/electrolytes) and not enough supplementation for what I can't get from food, sleep, movement and sun. It's taken me a long time to learn that Fibromyalgia is closely linked with Thyroid neuropathy, but a Nutrition-based Autoimmune Ketogenic diet is really the best thing I've ever done for my health so far. I won't get manic as long as I allow myself permission and time to rest and eat and sleep.. provided those aren't disturbed by external factors. I can feel the pain creeping in now, so I need to stop sitting here for the night. Hope this helps. :wave:

https://www.thepaleomom.com/gluten-cross-reactivity-update-how-your-body-can-still-think-youre-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6I_oKHpYC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTlyBm5BBT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0E8QYku7Nw
https://justinhealth.com/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-can-podcast-105/

https://justinhealth.com/hashimotos-triggers-autoimmune-thyroid-live-podcast-143/

Edited by Myew

Sometimes it's best to build a new foundation or goals on top of what you've already learned. :3 We'll have to start all over again anyway in the new system! (Jeremiah 33:6, 7) ‘Here I am bringing recuperation and health to her, and I will heal them and reveal to them an abundance of peace and truth. 7 And I will bring back the captives of Judah and the captives of Israel, and I will build them up as I did at the start.

Edited by Myew

11 hours ago, Myew said:

Sometimes it's best to build a new foundation or goals on top of what you've already learned. :3 We'll have to start all over again anyway in the new system! (Jeremiah 33:6, 7) ‘Here I am bringing recuperation and health to her, and I will heal them and reveal to them an abundance of peace and truth. 7 And I will bring back the captives of Judah and the captives of Israel, and I will build them up as I did at the start.

Aren't we all looking forward till this?? I am only trying to patch my body up until then. :)

My wife and I are doing Keto. I have fallen off the wagon as they say only once. I feel good brain fog is reduced all good. As for sugar substitutes if you are allergic to Rag weed do not use stevia. It is from the rag weed family

We use xylitol or erythritol. They are made from sugar alcohol and have no carbs and no calories. Some are mixed with monk fruit they are really good. Stay away from the artificial sweeteners because they will put you off ketosis. They affect your glycemic index the same as sugar. 

Here best peanut butter cookie recipe ever. 

1 cup peanut butter

1 egg

1/4 cup sweetener

Mix together and form into balls on parchment paper and squish with a fork.

Back in the oven for 10 min at 350 degrees F. 

I made a triple batch tonight and it make 16 balls about 1.5" round. 

I like this one for breakfast too.

Take 12 eggs and beat them in a large bowl.

Take serrano ham and line the cups in a muffin tin with the ham. Pour the eggs into the cups and put into the oven at 350 for about 10 to 12 min. Take out and add a small slice of your favourite cheese on top. Put back in the oven till its melted. Reheat a few for 14 to 20 seconds in the microwave when you get up and instant breakfast. 10 eggs with ham or prosciutto will fill a 12 piece muffin tin. You can use bacon but you have to precook it a bit or it wont cook in the tin.

My wife makes cheese cake for me. She uses a regular recipe but switches out the sugar for xylitol. turns out great. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

keto isnt about eating an over abundance or even when you are not hungry. Some days I get up and wont eat a thing until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.(Other than a pot of Coffee) Im not hungry. Then I will get some berries out of the freezer or will have already taken some out. I will have some with some heavy cream and a teaspoon of xylitol. Its really yummy and packed with vitamins. Plus you are getting enough fat from the cream. On Keto you should read the book "Keto reset Diet" by Mark Sisson. Its a great book and explains a lot on Keto diet what the fast does for you and how to supplement. People for get its low carb not no carb. If you do not eat any carbs you need to try to keep them under 20 grams but you could still have say an apple or a pear for fiber. That is if your completely clean with 0 other carbs. Apples and pears have the least amount of sugar compared to say oranges and bananas.

The other thing is if you are having a craving for something have it. Chances are you will take a bite and wonder why you wanted it and throw it out. Or feed it to the dog. I find I have very few cravings. I made a mistake and had a couple croissants for breakfast last week. My lord did I suffer for that one. I thought I was passing a 10 pound watermelon.  With the xylitol and Erythritol you cannot give them to pets. It can hurt them. Not sure why its in the bulk store where we buy it not to give it to pets. 

40 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

(Other than a pot of Coffee)

I thought I was the only one.  hahaha.

Thanks for sharing.  I'll try that with the cravings.  I crave nuts and I can't help but eat them.  nomnom.  We have been eating alot of pig skins and cracklings since they are 0 carbs and have fat, not sure if it is good but it hits the midnight snack times.

I skip breakfast often to have an intermittent fast.  I find that I am not to hungry the rest of the day either.

You need to make sure that you are not mineral, vitamin or electrolyte deficient in order to bind with oxalates and pass them out of the body. Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium are very important in general, as well as vitamins B, D and K. I supplement some Magnesium and Potassium Citrate, because no matter how much organic vegetables I eat, it will never be enough with how damaged the soil has become. I drink some bentonite clay and diatomaceous earth with the electrolytes in herbal teas (the citrate helps break down the clay clumps too), as well as eat soft bones from bone broth for calcium and trace minerals. Get your fat soluble vitamins from grass fed or pastured animal fat and meat, grain fed or grain finished will not have enough. Also, organ meats are the most dense 'superfoods' by far.

Edited by Myew

If you get cramps in your legs take a tablespoon of pickle juice. It will help you out and rebalance the electrolytes. Use lots of salt too but if you can get pink himalayan salt that is really good for you with lots of micro minerals in it. 

3 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

Here is a treat. Dark chocolate and put on it natural peanut butter the kind with no salt or sugar. Healthy peanut butter chocolate squares

With sugar free Hershey's chocolate chips.  Good stuff for right before doing a vigorous activity.

There seams to be a misconception that the sweeteners in the keto diet are artificial. They are not. Xylitol and Erythritol are made from sugar alcohol. It is made from the process of making sugar. There is nothing unnatural in it at all. Splenda is man made and very bad for the Keto Diet and had carbs in it. Please do some research on these. One of the erythritol has mink fruit in it. It is also natural. No not give these sweeteners to your pets. They can make them sick. Also anyone with IBS or diverticulitis may find these give you bathroom problems. One of our friends cant eat Xylitol or Erythritol. I flairs her IBS and I think she said her Fibro im not sure on that though. Please do some research on these before you try them. You may be fine with both. We found Xylitol was cheaper at the bulk food store.

12 hours ago, njwinans said:

With sugar free Hershey's chocolate chips.  Good stuff for right before doing a vigorous activity.

We buy 85% dark chocolate bars Lind is good but Presidents choice has a better one with no cocoa butter in it. Lower carbs.