JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NEW VIDEO : David Schafer- Survive the Great Day (Rev. 16:16)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2193 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I’m about to read the Book of Mormon next. If already familiar with it and will find it more entertaining lol.

I never read it but I did some research on it. The book is, I recall, completely unhistorical. Though there apparently is some religious value to it.

40 minutes ago, Bob said:

I never read it but I did some research on it. The book is, I recall, completely unhistorical. Though there apparently is some religious value to it.

It contradicts itself a lot too.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

31 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

It contradicts itself a lot too.

Doesn't surprise me. After all, I think it clearly had some racist passages that were removed when it was edited and retranslated. It is definitely more authoritative than the Bible, no matter what they say. I read something in Mormon literature that was quite amusing; they accept the Bible "as long as it is translated correctly". What a copout.  

54 minutes ago, Shannie said:

Do you think this will be our last memorial??

This idea has been speculative for the last few years Sis.  For example, one of the elders in my congregation in 2015 said"  Friends, this could be the last memorial -- and here we are in 2018!  So, my take from all this is:  Let's wait and see from the FDS to receive "food at the proper time" about this, shall we? :)

Edited by Omoyeme

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

I read something in Mormon literature that was quite amusing; they accept the Bible "as long as it is translated correctly". What a copout.  

That’s exactly what they say... and yes.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

30 minutes ago, Bob said:

Doesn't surprise me. After all, I think it clearly had some racist passages that were removed when it was edited and retranslated. It is definitely more authoritative than the Bible, no matter what they say. I read something in Mormon literature that was quite amusing; they accept the Bible "as long as it is translated correctly". What a copout.  

I just started reading chapter 1 of the Book of Mormon. I know it’s nonsense but it’s entertaining nonsense. This is gonna be good :popcorn: back to the topic :)

Edited by Brother Jack

Just now, Brother Jack said:

I just started reading chapter 1 of the Book of Mormon. I know it’s nonsense but it’s entertaining nonsense. This is gonna be good :popcorn:

Oh yeah. I am all for reading other religious books if one has the time and willingness. And I am sure you find it entertaining for the same reason I do -- the "history" is completely made up, and Smith borrowed from the Bible as well.

13 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I just started reading chapter 1 of the Book of Mormon. I know it’s nonsense but it’s entertaining nonsense. This is gonna be good :popcorn:

Personally, I have no issues with Mormons or their religion. Back in '96, I would see them and talk to them. I treated them the way I wanted people to treat us. But unlike us, they really didn't want to answer questions. They never came back to talk more. That's the only issue I ever had with them. Clearly they didn't know the Bible, but at least discuss the Bible as they relate to your beliefs. We do, and we do so proudly.

Edited by Bob

2 hours ago, Shannie said:

One year it will be our last memorial either ever, or in this system of thing. Nothing wrong with thinking that this year is our last, but if it isn't then next might just well be. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Not that it is official in any way, but in our local needs part - which was about encouraging each other in this special month of activity - it was mentioned that this might be the last memorial invite work we ever do.  The elders didn't obviously say it was the last one, but there is a good chance we are close to it being the last one.  I think we all feel it, hey?  Keep busy, keep focused, encourage each other "all the more so as you see the day drawing near" - Heb 10:25.

I try to remind myself and others that we will not be disheartened is there are 3 more or.....?  We do not serve God because this might be the last Memorial Celebration, we celebrate the occasion because God sent his Son and we love him and we are his servants.  If there is one more, ten more or not in my lifetime, I will still be a cheerful dispenser of the good news.

I have attended 64 memorial celebrations (I think).  I am not unhappy because there is one more in a couple of weeks.  When I started a third to half of the audience were partakers.  Now our congregation has none.  It will be a great time of joy on the 31st.

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

We do not serve God because this might be the last Memorial Celebration, we celebrate the occasion because God sent his Son and we love him and we are his servants.  If there is one more, ten more or not in my lifetime, I will still be a cheerful dispenser of the good news.

Of course this is the case.

But... Many of us are tired; some feel like they are drowning in problems. Why not focus on the only thing that will bring everyone relief?

While I'd love to sit here and tell you how I would happily be doing this or that if this system dragged on for 10 more years, I can't. Of course I serve Jehovah out of love and will stay faithful regardless, but find it impossible at this point to even think 5 years into the future here without sinking into a paralyzing depression. 

I have to focus on this day, this week, this memorial. When this has passed, I will perhaps focus on the convention. Bits and pieces is all I can do to keep going and to stay awake.. I may be in the minority here, but don't think I am the only one. 

I am happy for people who, without much difficulty, can think many years into the future on this side. Wish I was one of them. 

18 minutes ago, Saffron said:

I may be in the minority here, but don't think I am the only one. 

No sis, I don't think you're in the minority.  Keeping our integrity is easier if we break it down into smaller do-able chunks.  One day at a time, like Jesus said.  And I think we are all tired.  While at the same time, we view our life in the truth as an everlasting lifestyle - we always will be serving him regardless of when Armageddon comes.  It's just easier for us to cope while we wait if we look at the future like Abraham at Heb 11:10, 13 "awaiting the city having real foundations...  they saw them from a distance and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land.".

My grandpa and grandma began as colporteurs in the 1930's and now both in their late 80's are wishing that this will be the last memorial they get to go. Grandpa always says he wants to see the start of the GT before he dies. I pray for his wish to be fulfilled every single day...

Hope this system winds up soon.

paradise.eternity.glory

As I watch my mom, now 71, slowly be crippled with arthritis and her legs bo and toes twist  :cry: I feel the same way "Yes, I am coming quickly.'"
"Amen! Come, Lord Jesus."

Then, a few nights ago, I was at mom's and we we're talking about this and she says, " I saw the video - the one they played at this week's CL&M meeting - and watched that lady dance as she learned about the resurrection and that she'd she her husband again. And I think, I can wait a little longer. When I hurt, I am just going to remember her dancing. ". :grouphug:

I just love that little mom of mine. I too am working on remembering the dancing. And trusting that Jah knows the best time that helps the most people and He can fix anything. So, I can wait patiently and stay busy.  :wave:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

13 hours ago, Shannie said:

Yes, it is our last memorial this year.

We just need to wait and see if there is another one next year.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

just love that little mom of mine. I too am working on remembering the dancing. And trusting that Jah knows the best time that helps the most people and He can fix anything. So, I can wait patiently and stay busy.  :wave:

Your mom definitely sounds like a great example for all of us. :)

I, too, was very touched by the video of the woman dancing. Absolutely love hearing stories like this along with the stories of people returning to the truth after many years. This gives me energy and makes me feel like I can endure.. then here comes something that knocks me to my knees once again, making feel the need to focus on how the end can't be far off. With me, it is truly a back and forth thing.. takes A LOT of prayer, personal study, and staying busy helping others in order to endure. 

I really would like to thank you all for being so kind and understanding about this, despite the fact that everyone sees this from a different perspective. Add this to the gigantic list of things that I love about Jehovah's people. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 10:31 PM, Doug said:

Then, destruction of Babylon the Great.

Then a respite.

Then, our message changes to one of judgment.

Will we still be preaching the good news during the attack on false religion? Before the respite.

Jehovah tells “from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done.” (Isaiah 46:9, 10)

9 minutes ago, morsten said:

Will we still be preaching the good news during the attack on false religion? Before the respite.

I don’t see what good it would do. I had imagined that we will be told to stop preaching and focus on our bible studies and wait until the respite to preach the judgement message. We’ll have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I don’t see what good it would do. I had imagined that we will be told to stop preaching and focus on our bible studies and wait until the respite to preach the judgement message. We’ll have to wait and see.

Yes this makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Preaching the Judgement Message I will do it with the most joy, show no fear. I mean this is the finale of the preaching campaign, a special one indeed.

All those people that denied the good news during service will see its true and become faint out of fear..

When they say they're not interested I just hope they wake up before its too late.

Jehovah tells “from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done.” (Isaiah 46:9, 10)

4 minutes ago, morsten said:

All those people that denied the good news during service will see its true and become faint out of fear..

Very true. They will realize it’s the truth when they see we are the only religion left, and especially when they find out that we foretold the destruction of false religion. This will scare them very much.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:17 AM, Saffron said:

Brother Schaffer actually gives us the answer to this in his talk, which was so loaded that it may be necessary to listen to it a few times. I definitely had to.. Listen for the part about the wonders that the magic practicing priests were able to pull off. Satan can perform signs to make people think that there is real peace. It was even mentioned that perhaps this could be made to look like God is backing it.

Whatever will happen is going to look real convincing, so those not fully awake could begin to believe what they see is real.

Isn't God that puts the thoughts into their minds, but then they carry out the proclamation by signs?