JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2017

katielou

Monday, August 28

O Jehovah, show me favor. Heal me, for I have sinned against you.—Ps. 41:4.

David may have written that regarding the time when Absalom tried to usurp the throne while David was ill and unable to handle the situation. Despite having received God’s forgiveness, David did not forget his own sin with Bath-sheba and its consequences. (2 Sam. 12:7-14) Still, the king was sure that God would sustain him on his sickbed. David did not pray for God to heal him miraculously. The context suggests that David asked Jehovah to help him in the same way that He would help an individual who showed consideration to a lowly one. That included being sustained “on his sickbed.” (Ps. 41:3) Because David’s sin had been forgiven, he could ask that God would comfort and support him and that the physical resources of his body might enable him to recover. (Ps. 103:3) We can do likewise. w15 12/15 4:8, 9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

David, as we all well know, was a sinner, as are we all. But David displayed remorse and sought Jehovah's forgiveness while suffering the consequences of his bad decision. Like David, we seek Jehovah's forgiveness daily and do our utmost not to repeat sin. Therefore we can be confident that Jehovah is pleased with our efforts to best handle our sinfulness and is pleased to offer daily assistance. However reliance is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuesday, August 29

You received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!”—Rom. 8:15.

Those who have received this special invitation from God do not need another witness from any other source. They do not need someone else to verify what has happened to them. Jehovah leaves no doubt whatsoever in their minds and hearts. The apostle John tells such anointed Christians: “You have an anointing from the holy one, and all of you have knowledge.” He further states: “As for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but the anointing from him is teaching you about all things and is true and is no lie. Just as it has taught you, remain in union with him.” (1 John 2:20, 27) These ones need spiritual instruction just like everyone else. But they do not need anyone to validate their anointing. The most powerful force in the universe has given them this conviction! w16.01 3:9, 10

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

In our 1st congregation there was a sister who was of the anointed. Later though she no longer partook. We wonder what happened to her 'calling' as we still see her occasionally at conventions (we're in a different congregation now), so she's obviously still in the truth. Not for us to judge. We're still happy that we mutually share the truth and Jehovah is the one to set matters straight in time, though we may never 'need' to know the reason.

Wednesday, August 30

[Be] content with the present things.—Heb. 13:5.

True contentment is based on our trust in Jehovah. It allows us to have a balanced view of material possessions. (1 Tim. 6:6-8) It helps us to realize that our relationship with Jehovah and our Christian brothers is far more important than anything that money can buy. A contented person does not complain, grumble, or find fault; nor does he succumb to feelings of envy and greed—feelings that can stifle the development of brotherly love. Rather, contentment promotes a generous spirit. (1 Tim. 6:17-19) Also, our trust in Jehovah gives us courage, no matter what challenges we may face. (Heb. 13:6) This courage, in turn, allows us to have a positive attitude and to build up and comfort our fellow believers. (1 Thess. 5:14, 15) Even when the world faces the great tribulation, we will be able to “stand up straight and lift up [our] heads,” knowing that our deliverance is near.—Luke 21:25-28. w16.01 1:16, 17

We know that very soon tribulation will come to all of us hence why it's called the Great Tribulation. Let's all work hard at strengthening our faith and complete reliance on Jehovah now before that happens so that nothing will surprise us or shock us out of the truth at that time. We need to be content especially with counsel because we know that Jehovah counsels those whom he loves.

Thursday, August 31

Jehovah knows those who belong to him.—2 Tim. 2:19.

In recent years, we have seen an increase in the number of those partaking at the Memorial of Christ’s death. That trend contrasts with the decrease in the number of partakers that we saw for many decades. Should this increase trouble us? No. Let us consider some key factors to keep in mind. Those taking the count at the Memorial cannot judge who truly have the heavenly hope. The number of partakers includes those who mistakenly think that they are anointed. Some who at one point started to partake of the emblems later stopped. Others may have mental or emotional problems that lead them to believe that they will rule with Christ in heaven. Therefore, the number of partakers does not accurately indicate the number of anointed ones left on earth. And the Bible does not state how many will be left at the time that the great tribulation begins. w16.01 4:12-14

Yes jehovah truly does. I think it is best left for jehovah to determine who and who are truly part of the heavenly hope. We don't need to count and make conclusions on what we don't have full knowledge of. The above mentioned circumstances are very possible. Anything can happen. 

My wife and I liked to days text. I wonder why we are even counting partakers. At one time we considered the number to be a countdown to Armageddon. Since that is no longer the case and we are back to counting partakers instead of annointed, what difference does it make?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Friday, September 1

[Abraham] traveled to the place that the true God indicated to him.—Gen. 22:3.

Before parting from the servants who accompanied Abraham and Isaac, Abraham said: “You stay here with the donkey, but the boy and I will go over there and worship and return to you.” (Gen. 22:5) What did Abraham mean? Was he lying to his servants, telling them that Isaac would return when Abraham knew that Isaac was to be sacrificed? No. The Bible gives us some insight into what Abraham was thinking. (Heb. 11:19) Abraham “reasoned that God was able to raise [Isaac] up even from the dead.” Yes, Abraham believed in the resurrection. He knew that Jehovah had revived his reproductive powers and those of Sarah in their old age. (Heb. 11:11, 12, 18) Abraham realized that nothing was impossible for Jehovah. So he was confident that whatever happened on that challenging day, his beloved son would be restored to him so that all of Jehovah’s promises could be fulfilled. No wonder Abraham is called “the father of all those having faith”!—Rom. 4:11. w16.02 1:3, 13

We were trying to think how Abraham had such knowledge of Jehovah. He was an ancestor of Shem 10 generations. Shem died 13 yrs after Sarah. So logicly it's possible Abraham and Shem were close. Shem had intimate knowledge of events leading up to the flood and the generations after.
Anyway. It's been fun thinking about it today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree that half-hearted service is useless to Jehovah and a waste of our personal time. For Abraham and Isaac to have strong faith, they had to be good students of whatever form of communication Jehovah provided in their day. We know that as the patriarch, Abraham must have set a good example for his wife 1st and their entourage in order to leave their comfortable life, then eventually train their beloved son to follow Jehovah's lead by their own faithful lead in their assigned roles. A good example for family heads these days!

Saturday, September 2

For the sake of his great name, Jehovah will not abandon his people.—1 Sam. 12:22.

Although God had anointed Saul to be king, Saul later became disobedient and was rejected by Jehovah. (1 Sam. 15:17-23) Since God did not immediately remove Saul from the throne, his misconduct tested his subjects and all who were close to him. They faced the challenge of being loyal to God while the king, who sat on “Jehovah’s throne,” followed a wayward course. (1 Chron. 29:23) Yet, Saul’s son Jonathan proved to be loyal to Jehovah. We too can prove ourselves loyal to Jehovah by being in relative subjection to the superior authorities, as God requires, even if some seem unworthy of respect. For example, a government official may be corrupt, but we still respect his position because we are in relative subjection to governmental “superior authorities.” (Rom. 13:1, 2) In fact, all of us can prove loyal to Jehovah by respecting those to whom he gives authority.—1 Cor. 11:3; Heb. 13:17. w16.02 3:5, 6, 8

Sunday, September 3

Your people will offer themselves willingly.—Ps. 110:3.

The Bible says that Jehovah’s people, including young ones, “will offer themselves willingly” for his service. So a person who is contemplating baptism needs to be sure that this is his or her personal desire. That might call for self-scrutiny on your part. Why? Because your circumstance as a youth may be somewhat special. For example, you may have been raised in the truth. Over the years, you have likely seen many people get baptized—including some of your peers and perhaps even your siblings. If that is indeed your situation, what should you be careful about? Be alert that you do not come to view baptism as little more than a coming-of-age custom that all young people follow sooner or later. What can you do to make sure that you will keep the right view of Jehovah’s arrangement of baptism? Take time often to stop and think about the reasons why getting baptized is so important. w16.03 1:11, 12

Monday, September 4

Let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free.—Rev. 22:17.

As members of the Christian congregation, how can we succeed in giving this invitation? Only by being “harmoniously joined together and made to cooperate.” (Eph. 4:16) To share the message of the Kingdom good news with as many people as possible, we need to carry out our preaching work in an organized manner. Therefore, we receive directions. The guidance given through congregations around the globe prepares us for a united effort. After we meet for field service, we go forth to proclaim the Kingdom message to mankind. By word of mouth and through millions of copies of Bible-based publications, we spread the message. Do you strive to follow the direction to share in special preaching campaigns? By doing so, you are joining millions of others in unitedly heralding the message of the “angel flying in midheaven,” mentioned at Revelation 14:6. w16.03 3:4, 5

How many Bible students do you have?

When I first heard that question, I thought that I should have many. But on a second thought, I came to realize that it is not the quantity but quality of the truth I impact on my students that matters. I have decided to build with fire resistant materials on the few students I have than to gather many students who may not pass Armageddon.

Tuesday, September 5

Scrolls were opened.—Rev. 20:12.

The Bible informs us that scrolls will be opened to give us directions in new world living. By studying these, all people, including resurrected ones, will be able to know God’s will for them. These scrolls will surely give us further insight into Jehovah’s mind. Guided by an ever-increasing understanding of God’s inspired Word along with what will be revealed in the new scrolls, inhabitants of the earthly Paradise will certainly treat their fellow man with love, respect, and dignity. (Isa. 26:9) Imagine the educational program that will be carried out under the direction of the King, Jesus Christ! Everlasting life awaits those who respond favorably to the “things written in the scrolls.” Those who maintain integrity to God through the final test will have their name written permanently by Jehovah in “the scroll of life.” That can be our lot! w16.03 4:19, 20

Those resurrected will be required to learn how to apply the godly principles found in the Bible and they will have to follow instructions that will be revealed in the scrolls. 
Those who maintain integrity to God through the final test will have their name written permanently by Jehovah in “the scroll of life.

The revealing of the contents of these scrolls will be another demonstration of Jehovah's undeserved kindness.