JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2017

katielou

Saturday, December 2

I have come . . . to do, not my own will, but the will of him who sent me.—John 6:38.

Imagine that a friend gives you a car as a gift. He hands you the title and says: “I will keep the keys. And I will be the one who drives the car, not you.” How would you feel? Now think about what Jehovah rightfully expects of a person who makes a dedication to him, a person who tells him: “I am giving you my life. I belong to you.” What if that person were to start living a double life, perhaps secretly dating an unbeliever? What if he were to accept employment that crippled his whole-souled service in the ministry or attendance at Christian meetings? Would that not be like keeping the keys to the car? A person who dedicates himself to Jehovah is, in effect, saying: “My life belongs to you more than to me. If there is ever a conflict between what you want and what I am inclined to want, what you want will win—every time.” That would reflect the thinking of Jesus, as stated in today’s text. w16.03 1:16, 17

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We can become Jehovah's friend when we allow our worship of Jehovah to touch every part of our life. We will also seek to serve Jehovah with a complete heart and be obedient to those taking the lead. We have so many wonderful examples in the Bible that we can imitate. I long to be Jehovah's friend. 

Sunday, December 3

I will not leave you.—2 Ki. 2:2.

Nearly 3,000 years ago, the prophet Elijah invited young Elisha to become his attendant. Elisha promptly accepted the invitation and faithfully served the older man by caring for humble tasks. (2 Ki. 3:11) Then, after some six years of training, Elisha learned that Elijah’s work in Israel was about to come to an end. At that point, Elijah urged his well-trained companion to stop following him, but Elisha was determined to stay with his mentor as long as possible. If you are a young brother, how can you imitate Elisha today? Promptly accept assignments, including humble tasks. View your teacher as a friend, and let him know how much you appreciate the effort he makes in your behalf. Above all, be faithful in carrying out any assignment you are given. Why is this so important? Because only after you demonstrate that you are faithful and reliable will the elders feel assured that Jehovah wants you to be entrusted with added responsibilities in the congregation.—Ps. 101:6;2 Tim. 2:2. w15 4/15 2:13, 14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, December 4

He does not go back on his promise, even when it is bad for him.—Ps. 15:4.

Saul urged Jonathan to pursue his own interests. (1 Sam. 20:31) But loyalty to God moved Jonathan to befriend David rather than seek the advantages of the kingship for himself. Jonathan did not “go back on his promise” to David; neither should we go back on our promises. For example, if a business agreement becomes harder to honor than expected, our loyalty to God and regard for the Bible should move us to keep our word. And what if our marriage proves to be more challenging than anticipated? Love for God will surely move us to be loyal to our mate. (Mal. 2:13-16) Also, let us prove our loyalty to Jehovah by being loyal to his people, even those who may disappoint us. When we are loyal to Jehovah God in the face of challenging situations, we make his heart rejoice. (Prov. 27:11) If we remain loyal to Jehovah, we will see how he eventually works everything out for the good of those who love him. w16.02 3:16, 17

Tuesday, December 5

Happy are all those keeping in expectation of him.—Isa. 30:18.

Jehovah is fully aware of our limitations. (Ps. 103:14) Therefore, he does not expect us to endure trials in our own strength but offers us his fatherly help. Of course, at times, we might feel that we cannot go on anymore. But Jehovah assures us that he will never allow his servants to suffer beyond their limit of endurance. Yes, he will “make the way out.” (1 Cor. 10:13) Therefore, we have good reason to trust that Jehovah’s assessment of what we can bear is right. When relief does not immediately follow our prayers for help, let us wait on the One who knows just when to act in our behalf. Remember that he too is exercising patience, for he is ever eager to come to our rescue. “Jehovah is waiting patiently to show you favor, and he will rise up to show you mercy. For Jehovah is a God of justice.” w15 4/15 4:8, 9

Wednesday, December 6

This is how the holy women of the past who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, subjecting themselves to their husbands.—1 Pet. 3:5.

During Family Worship sessions, we focus on spiritual matters, and this contributes to the unity of the family. Practicing for the field ministry can equip the family to be better prepared to preach effectively. And it is not hard to see that when members of a family share comments about God’s Word, they are drawn closer together—all love the same God and all are interested in doing his will. What can married couples do to cooperate to Jehovah’s praise? When both mates are faithful servants of Jehovah, they can rejoice in the unity that this affords them. Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, Elkanah and Hannah—all expressed their love for their mate. We should make it a point to do the same. (Gen. 26:8; 1 Sam. 1:5, 8) That will unite us with our mate and draw us closer to our heavenly Father.—Eccl. 4:12. w16.03 3:12, 13

20 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

That will unite us with our mate and draw us closer to our heavenly Father.

I really like this comment - especially for this day's text .....

because ......

It is 37 years for us on this very day :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thursday, December 7

Take your stand against [Satan], firm in the faith.—1 Pet. 5:9.

Satan is at war with the anointed remnant and the “other sheep.” (John 10:16) The Devil’s goal is to devour as many of Jehovah’s servants as he can in the short time that he has left. (Rev. 12:9, 12) Can we win our fight against Satan? Yes! The Bible says: “Oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you.” (Jas. 4:7) Many scoff at the idea that Satan even exists. To them, Satan and the demons are fictional characters of novels, horror movies, and video games. Such people feel that no intelligent person believes in wicked spirits. Now, do you think that it bothers Satan that he and his invisible cohorts have been relegated to the world of folklore? That is not likely! After all, it is easy for Satan to blind the minds of those who doubt that he exists. (2 Cor. 4:4) Promoting the idea that spirits do not exist is one of the many ways that Satan uses to mislead people. w15 5/15 2:1, 2

Nice Greek words for Today’s text. 

For word /phrase 'take your stand against' 

Bible > Strong's > Greek > 436

◄ 436. anthistémi ►
Strong's Concordance
anthistémi: to set against, i.e. withstand
Original Word: ἀνθίστημι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: anthistémi
Phonetic Spelling: (anth-is'-tay-mee)
Short Definition: I take a stand against, oppose, resist
Definition: I set against; I withstand, resist, oppose.
HELPS Word-studies
436 anthístēmi (from 473 /antí, "opposite/against" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – properly, take a complete stand against, i.e. a "180 degree, contrary position"; (figuratively) to establish one's position publicly by conspicuously "holding one's ground," i.e. refusing to be moved ("pushed back").

436 /anthístēmi ("oppose fully") means to forcefully declare one's personal conviction (where they unswervingly stand); to keep one's possession; ardently withstand, without giving up (letting go).

[436 (anthístēmi) was a military term in classical Greek (used by Thucydides, etc.) meaning "to strongly resist an opponent" ("take a firm stand against").]

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from anti and histémi
Definition
to set against, i.e. withstand
NASB Translation
cope (1), oppose (1), has opposed (1), opposed (4), opposing (1), resist (5), resists (2).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 436: ἀνθίστημι

ἀνθίστημι: perfect ἀνθέστηκα; 2 aorist ἀντέστην (imperative ἀντίστητε), infinitive ἀντιστῆναι; middle, present ἀνθισταμαι; imperfect ἀνθισταμην; (ἀντί and ἵστημι); to set against; as in Greek writings, in the middle, and in the perfect pluperfect (having present and imperfect force, Winers Grammar, 274 (257)) and 2 aorist active, to set oneself against, to withstand resist, oppose: perfect active, Romans 9:19; Romans 13:2; 2 Timothy 4:15 (R G). 2 aorist active, Matthew 5:39; Luke 21:15; Acts 6:10; Galatians 2:11; Ephesians 6:18; 2 Timothy 3:8; (2 Timothy 4:15 L T Tr WH). imperative, James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9. Middle: present, 2 Timothy 3:8. imperfect, Acts 13:8. 

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
resist, withstand, oppose
From anti and histemi; to stand against, i.e. Oppose -- resist, withstand.

see GREEK anti

see GREEK histemi

For word 'firm' 
Bible > Strong's > Greek > 4731

◄ 4731. stereos ►
Strong's Concordance
stereos: hard, firm
Original Word: στερεός, ά, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: stereos
Phonetic Spelling: (ster-eh-os')
Short Definition: solid, firm, steadfast
Definition: solid, firm, steadfast.
HELPS Word-studies
4731 stereós – (an adjective) properly, solid (firm); referring to what is immoveable (will not budge); stable (not changeable), standing fast without buckling or giving way (steadfast).

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
hard, firm
NASB Translation
firm (2), solid (2).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 4731: στερεός

στερεός, στερεά, στερεόν (Vanicek, p. 1131; Curtius, § 222), from Homer down, firm, solid, compact, hard, rigid: λίθος, Homer Odyssey 19, 494; strong, firm, immovable, θεμέλιος, 2 Timothy 2:19; τροφή, solid food, Hebrews 5:12, 14; στερεωτερα τροφή, Diodorus 2, 4; Epictetus diss. 2, 16, 39; tropically, in a bad sense, cruel, stiff, stubborn, hard; often so in Greek writings from Homer down: κραδιη στερεωτερη λιθοιο, Odyssey 23, 103; in a good sense, firm, steadfast: τῇ πίστει, as respects faith, firm of faith (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 31, 6 a.), 1 Peter 5:9 (see στερεόω, at the end). 

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
hard, strong, sure.
From histemi; stiff, i.e. Solid, stable (literally or figuratively) -- stedfast, strong, sure.

see GREEK histemi

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Friday, December 8

[Moses] considered the reproach of the Christ to be riches greater than the treasures of Egypt, for he looked intently toward the payment of the reward.—Heb. 11:26.

From his natural parents, Moses evidently learned about Jehovah and His purpose to free the Hebrews from slavery and give them the Promised Land. (Gen. 13:14, 15; Ex. 2:5-10) As Moses thought deeply about what Jehovah had promised to do for the Israelites, his faith and his love for God grew. Like other God-fearing humans, he could likely conceive of the time when Jehovah would set mankind free from death. (Job 14:14, 15; Heb. 11:17-19) It is no wonder that Moses was moved to love the God who felt compassion for the Hebrews and for all mankind. Faith and love motivated Moses throughout his life. (Deut. 6:4, 5) Even when Pharaoh threatened Moses with death, his faith, love for God, and likely a mental picture of a bright future strengthened him to face the threat courageously.—Ex. 10:28, 29. w15 5/15 3:11-13

Saturday, December 9

They have no wine.—John 2:3.

At a marriage feast in Cana of Galilee, Jesus performed his first miracle. The number of guests may have been greater than expected. But whatever the case, the wine ran out. Among the guests was Mary, Jesus’ mother. For years, she had no doubt pondered all the prophetic promises associated with her son, who she knew would be called “Son of the Most High.” (Luke 1:30-32; 2:52) Did she believe that in him there were powers not yet revealed? What is evident is that at Cana, Mary and Jesus felt compassion for the newly married couple and wanted to save them embarrassment. Jesus knew that hospitality was a duty. So he miraculously turned some 100 gallons (380 L) of water into “fine wine.” (John 2:6-11) Was Jesus obligated to perform this miracle? No. He simply cared about people and was imitating his heavenly Father by being generous. w15 6/15 1:3

Sunday, December 10

Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?—Acts 1:6.

Before Jesus ascended to heaven, his apostles asked the above. Jesus’ answer showed that it was not the time for them to know when God’s Kingdom would start ruling. He told his disciples to focus on the important witnessing work that they needed to do. (Acts 1:7, 8) Nevertheless, Jesus taught his followers to look forward to the coming of God’s Kingdom. So Christians since the days of the apostles have been praying for it to come. When the time approached for God’s Kingdom in the hands of Jesus to start ruling from heaven, Jehovah helped his people to understand the timing of events. In 1876, an article written by Charles Taze Russell was published in the magazine Bible Examiner. That article, “Gentile Times: When Do They End?,” pointed to 1914 as a significant year. The article linked the “seven times” of Daniel’s prophecy with “the appointed times of the nations” spoken of by Jesus.—Dan. 4:16; Luke 21:24. w15 6/15 4:11, 12

Monday, December 11

Jesus gave way to tears.—John 11:35.

Jesus’ heart was touched by the pain of others. Deeply moved by others’ reaction to the death of his friend Lazarus, Jesus “groaned” and “became troubled.” He felt that way even though he knew that he would shortly bring Lazarus back to life. (John 11:33-36) Jesus was not ashamed to manifest strong emotions. Onlookers could see the affection Jesus felt for Lazarus and his family. What compassion Jesus showed by using his God-given power to bring his friend back to life! (John 11:43, 44) The Bible describes Jesus as “the exact representation of [the Creator’s] very being.” (Heb. 1:3) Thus, by his miracles, Jesus proved that he and his Father have the desire to undo the pain of sickness and death. This desire extends far beyond the few resurrections recorded in the Bible. Jesus stated: “The hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will . . . come out.”—John 5:28, 29. w15 6/15 2:13, 14

The Bible describes Jesus as “the exact representation of His very being”. This assures us that Jehovah personally feels the pains of his worshippers. When we are discouraged or depressed, we draw to someone who understands our circumstances and share our pain. Why not draw closer to Jehovah, a compassionate God who feels our pain and understands the reasons for our tears. Have a great day!❤️

Tuesday, December 12

Let them praise your great name.—Ps. 99:3.

Unlike some religious people who mistakenly think that they will praise God once they have left the earth and gone to heaven, all of Jehovah’s Witnesses realize the need to praise him here and now on the earth. We thereby follow the example of the faithful servants of Jehovah described at Psalm 99:1-3, 5. As that psalm indicates, Moses, Aaron, and Samuel offered their full support to the arrangement for true worship in their day. (Ps. 99:6, 7) Today, before moving on to serve as priests with Jesus in heaven, the remaining ones of his anointed brothers faithfully serve in the earthly courtyard of the spiritual temple. Millions of “other sheep” loyally support them. (John 10:16) Although having different hopes, both groups unitedly worship Jehovah here at God’s footstool. As individuals, however, we do well to ask ourselves, ‘Am I giving full support to Jehovah’s arrangement for pure worship?’ w15 7/15 1:4, 5

Wednesday, December 13

Keep in expectation of it!—Hab. 2:3.

Jehovah’s worshippers have long lived in expectation of the fulfillment of inspired prophecies. Isaiah, who foretold that Jehovah would bring about a restoration after Judah’s desolation, declared: “Happy are all those keeping in expectation of him.” (Isa. 30:18) Micah, whose prophecies also involved God’s ancient people, personally resolved: “I will keep on the lookout for Jehovah.” (Mic. 7:7) For centuries, God’s servants also lived in expectation of the fulfillment of prophecies concerning the Messiah, or Christ. (Luke 3:15;1 Pet. 1:10-12) God’s present-day servants also keep in expectation, for prophecies about the Messiah are still undergoing fulfillment. Through the Messianic Kingdom, Jehovah will soon put an end to human suffering by destroying the wicked and delivering his people from this unstable world lying in Satan’s power. (1 John 5:19) Let us therefore remain alert and fully aware that this system is rapidly nearing its end. w15 8/15 2:1, 2

9 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Let us therefore remain alert and fully aware that this system is rapidly nearing its end.

And we can see it on the news and everywhere..  this system it's at very end.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)