JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, March 16 The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword.​—Heb. 4:12.

21 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Any tendency toward being attracted to this or toward sexual interests of any sort outside marriage should be firmly resisted. Even giving the appearance of flirting with someone to whom one is not married is unloving and should be avoided. Remembering that God is aware of all our thoughts and actions will reinforce our desire to please him and to remain chaste.—Matt. 5:27, 28;Heb. 4:13. w16.08 2:7-9

This quotation from the WT comment on today's daily text is applicable to this subject, I think.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saturday, January 13

We have never stopped praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the accurate knowledge of [God’s] will.—Col. 1:9.

With such accurate knowledge, the Colossian Christians would be able “to walk worthily of Jehovah in order to please him fully.” This would enable them to continue “bearing fruit in every good work,” especially in the preaching of the good news. (Col. 1:10) To serve effectively, a worshipper of Jehovah must follow a routine of Bible study. We do well to help Bible students grasp that fact. Moreover, we ourselves must be convinced of its value. In fact, we ourselves need to have good Bible study habits. So you might ask yourself, ‘When householders express opinions that are contrary to Scriptural teachings or they ask difficult questions, am I able to give answers that are based on the Bible?’ If we tell others how much we have benefited from our personal study of the Bible, we may encourage them to obtain such benefits by being diligent students of the Scriptures. w16.08 4:3, 4

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

9 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

When householders express opinions that are contrary to Scriptural teachings or they ask difficult questions, am I able to give answers that are based on the Bible?

Hmm... we all struggle at times, good worn out Reasoning Book often comes handy.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Sunday, January 14

We have a struggle . . . against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.—Eph. 6:12.

It is vital that we resist being affected by the world’s “strongly entrenched things.” These include its doctrines, philosophies, and harmful practices, such as committing immorality, using tobacco, and abusing alcohol and drugs. And we must constantly fight against our fleshly weaknesses and discouragement. (2 Cor. 10:3-6; Col. 3:5-9) Is it really possible to defeat such powerful opponents? Yes, but not without a struggle. Drawing on the example of a boxer of ancient times, Paul said of himself: “The way I am aiming my blows is so as not to be striking the air.” (1 Cor. 9:26) Just as a boxer fights off his opponent, we must fend off our enemies. Jehovah trains us and helps us in our fight. He provides lifesaving instructions in his Word. He also helps us through our Bible-based publications, Christian meetings, assemblies, and conventions. Are you putting into practice what you are learning? w16.09 2:2, 3

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I always remember the example my teacher used when firststarting to study. She said ‘go’ was an action verb that to,d us what to do.  She compared it to what the churches do/did as in ‘ringing the church bell’for people to ‘cone’ To them.  I love this illustration too! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Monday, January 15

Even the Christ did not please himself.—Rom. 15:3.

Yes, Jesus put helping others ahead of personal convenience—helping them was key to his doing God’s will. Hence, we will forgo items or styles of clothing that we like but that could close the minds of people to whom we want to witness. (Rom. 15:2) Christian parents have a responsibility to teach their families to apply Bible principles. This includes making sure that they and their children strive to make God’s heart rejoice by their modest style of dress and grooming. (Prov. 22:6;27:11) Parents can instill in their children a healthy respect for the holy God whom they worship by setting the right example for their children and by giving loving and practical instruction. How good it is when parents teach their youngsters where and how to find suitable clothes! This means not just what they like but also what will enable them to carry out their privilege of representing Jehovah God. w16.09 3:13, 14

Tuesday, January 16

A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly instructed will be like his teacher.—Luke 6:40.

As a teacher, Jesus reached hearts because he loved Jehovah, God’s Word, and people. (Luke 24:32; John 7:46) Similar love will help parents reach the hearts of their children. (Deut. 6:5-8; Luke 6:45) So parents, be good students of the Bible and of our study aids. Take an interest in creation and in articles in our publications that discuss this topic. (Matt. 6:26, 28) Your doing so will broaden your knowledge, deepen your appreciation for Jehovah, and better equip you to teach your young ones. When your heart is filled with Bible truth, you will want to discuss it with your family. Do this not only when preparing for Christian meetings or during family worship but at any time. Moreover, such discussions should not be forced but should be natural and spontaneous—a part of your everyday conversation. w16.09 5:6, 7

Wednesday, January 17

None of them knew how to speak the language of the Jews.—Neh. 13:24.

The inability to grasp God’s Word in a foreign language can pose a real threat to our spiritual health. In the fifth century B.C.E., Nehemiah showed concern when he learned that some children among the Jews who had returned from Babylon could not speak the Hebrew language. These children were actually losing their identity as God’s servants because they could not fully understand the meaning of God’s Word. (Neh. 8:2, 8) Some Christian parents serving in a foreign-language field have come to realize that their children’s interest in the truth has waned. Why? When we read in a foreign tongue, our heart may not be as involved as it would be in our own language. Moreover, the inability to communicate well in another language can be mentally and spiritually draining. So while keeping alive our desire to serve Jehovah in a foreign-language field, we do well to safeguard our spiritual health.—Matt. 4:4. w16.10 2:4-6

Thursday, January 18

Faith is . . . the convincing evidence of realities that are not seen.—Heb. 11:1, ftn.

Christian faith is a precious quality. Not all humans possess it. (2 Thess. 3:2) However, Jehovah has given to each one of his worshippers “a measure of faith.” (Rom. 12:3; Gal. 5:22) All who have it should be deeply grateful. Jesus Christ said that his heavenly Father draws people to himself through His Son. (John 6:44, 65) Acquiring faith in Jesus, in turn, makes it possible for an individual to gain forgiveness of sins. That, then, opens up the prospect of enjoying an everlasting relationship with Jehovah. (Rom. 6:23) What did we do to deserve such a wonderful blessing? As sinners, the only thing we deserve is death. (Ps. 103:10) But Jehovah saw a potential for good in us. Out of his undeserved kindness, he opened our heart to the good news. So we began to exercise faith in Jesus with everlasting life in view.—1 John 4:9, 10. w16.10 4:1, 2

Wednesday, October 11

One man was there who had been sick for 38 years.—John 5:5.

Just north of the temple at Jerusalem was a pool known as Bethzatha. Large crowds of sick and infirm people would gather there, hoping that they would be miraculously cured. Moved with pity, Jesus approached a man who had been sick longer than Jesus had been alive on earth. (John 5:6-9) Jesus inquired if he wanted to get well. The response was immediate. The man wanted to be healed but he could not see how, for he had no one to help him into the pool. Jesus then commanded the man to do the impossible—to pick up his mat and walk. Taking Jesus at his word, the man picked up his mat and began to walk. What a heartwarming foregleam of what Jesus will do in the new world! In this miracle, we also see Jesus’ compassion. He sought out the needy. Jesus’ example should motivate us to continue to seek out people in our territory who are depressed about the terrible things happening in this world. w15 6/15 2:8-10

Notice Jesus was able to slip away unnoticed after this miracle? The very last verse in John says he did many things that if written in full detail John didn't suppose the Earth could contain the scrolls written. So now my question is...what's the likely hood every one present at that time was healed of their maladies and we're so excited and joyful, it was easy for him to depart unnoticed?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Friday, January 19

[Paul gave] many words of encouragement to the ones there.—Acts 20:2.

In his letters, Paul spoke highly of his fellow Christians. He had traveled with some of them for years and undoubtedly knew their faults, but he said good things about them. For instance, Paul described Timothy as his “beloved and faithful child in the Lord,” one who would genuinely care for the concerns of other Christians. (1 Cor. 4:17; Phil. 2:19, 20) The apostle commended Titus to the Corinthian congregation as “my companion and a fellow worker for your interests.” (2 Cor. 8:23) How encouraged Timothy and Titus must have been to learn what Paul thought of them! Paul and Barnabas risked their lives by going back to places where they had suffered violent attacks. For instance, even though they had faced fanatic opposition in Lystra, they returned there in order to encourage new disciples to remain in the faith. (Acts 14:19-22) In Ephesus, after Paul faced an angry crowd, he encouraged the disciples there.—Acts 20:1. w16.11 1:10, 11

Saturday, January 20

Be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.—1 Cor. 1:10.

Jehovah leads and feeds those in the earthly part of his organization by means of “the faithful and discreet slave” under the direction of Christ, the “head of the congregation.” (Matt. 24:45-47; Eph. 5:23) Like the first-century governing body, this slave accepts God’s inspired word, or message, and highly esteems it. (1 Thess. 2:13) The Bible directs us to attend meetings regularly. (Heb. 10:24, 25) It urges us to promote unity of doctrine. God’s Word tells us to give the Kingdom first place in our lives. (Matt. 6:33) The Scriptures also emphasize our duty and privilege to preach from house to house, in public places, and informally. (Matt. 28:19, 20;Acts 5:42; 17:17; 20:20) God’s own Book directs Christian elders to keep his organization clean. (1 Cor. 5:1-5, 13; 1 Tim. 5:19-21) And Jehovah decrees that all those in his organization must be clean physically and spiritually.—2 Cor. 7:1. w16.11 3:7, 8

The Scriptures also emphasize our duty and privilege to preach from house to house, in public places, and informally. notice it is our responsibility, to express this good news in any way we can but

then it says it is a privilege, Jehovah said he would make the rocks cry out if we didn't share this good news, even brings out that the angels would love to do this work but Jehovah has given this to us to do, let's make sure that when we wake up till we go to sleep, that we have a part in this once in a life time work, you will never have this privilege again.

Sunday, January 21

Get out of her, my people.—Rev. 18:4.

In the decades leading up to World War I, Charles Taze Russell and his associates realized that the organizations of Christendom were not teaching Bible truth. Accordingly, they resolved to have nothing to do with false religion as they understood it. As early as November of 1879, Zion’s Watch Tower straightforwardly set out their Scriptural position by stating: “Every church claiming to be a chaste virgin espoused to Christ, but in reality united to and supported by the world (beast) we must condemn as being in scripture language a harlot church,” a reference to Babylon the Great. (Rev. 17:1, 2) God-fearing men and women knew what they must do. They could not expect to receive God’s blessing if they continued to support false religious organizations. Consequently, many Bible Students prepared letters of withdrawal from their churches. w16.11 5:2, 3

Monday, January 22

Those who live according to the spirit, [set their minds] on the things of the spirit.—Rom. 8:5.

In connection with the annual commemoration of Jesus’ death, have you read Romans 8:15-17? Probably so. That key passage explains how Christians know that they are anointed—holy spirit bears witness with their spirit. Anointed Christians are those principally addressed in that chapter. They receive “the spirit” as ones “waiting for adoption as sons, the release from [their fleshly] bodies.” (Rom. 8:23) Yes, their future is to be sons of God in heaven. That is possible because they became baptized Christians, and God applied the ransom in their behalf, forgave their sins, and declared them righteous as spiritual sons. (Rom. 3:23-26; 4:25; 8:30) However, Romans chapter 8 is also of interest to those who have the earthly hope because God in a sense views them as righteous. They too can benefit from the counsel found there that is given to righteous ones. w16.12 2:1-3

Tuesday, January 23

Never be anxious.—Matt. 6:34.

What did Jesus mean when he said: “Never be anxious”? Obviously, he could not have meant that a servant of God would not at some point in life experience anxiety. Instead, Jesus was helping his disciples to realize that undue, or extreme, anxiety does not solve problems. Each day has its own challenges, so Christians do not need to add anxious thoughts about the past or the future to the concerns of the present. Unwarranted anxiety often results if a Christian agonizes over possible future problems. However, you need not be consumed by anxiety, or worry, over events that you do not know anything about. Why not? Because things often do not turn out to be as bad as we feared they might be. Moreover, there is no situation beyond the control of the God on whom you can throw all your anxiety. You can be certain that God can reward his faithful ones and help them deal with anxiety about the past, the present, and the future. w16.12 3:13, 16

16 hours ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

Talk about an applicable text for tomorrow!  LOL.  

I also found this gem in addition to the one cited above.  

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102004405

I REALLY liked this paragraph:

The Scriptures help us to make a distinction between general anxiety and the sin of lack of faith. Daily feelings of anxiety or even a momentary lapse of faith because of human weakness should not be confused with the complete lack of trust in God that springs from a wicked, unresponsive heart. Christians, therefore, need not be plagued by guilt just because they periodically experience anxiety.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

As a servant of God, I find that I can try to manage my anxiety by focusing on a task located high up on my procrastinator's shelf. Other ways, especially when I give up on yet another task, include letter writing. I enjoy letter writing. Doing so has a calming effect, an upbuilding sense of purpose, with the reward that I am doing more for others than for myself.

From our 2016 years WThttps://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016922#h=24:228-34:0  there lists some excellent ways to manage what cannot disappear.

I am grateful to have a helper who daily provides these fine topics which benefit us all! Don't you agree?

• Throw All Your Anxiety on Jehovah
  • The Watchtower (Study) (2016)

~~Nae~~

Thursday, January 25

I have found David . . . a man agreeable to my heart.—Acts 13:22.

David’s life course was one of faithfulness. Even so, on occasion he fell into serious sin. He committed adultery with Bath-sheba. (2 Sam. 11:1-21) David could not undo what he had done. And he could not escape the consequences of his mistakes. In fact, some of those consequences would stay with David for the rest of his life. (2 Sam. 12:10-12, 14) Thus, he needed faith. He had to trust that when he truly repented, Jehovah would forgive him and help him endure the consequences of his actions. Being imperfect, all of us sin. Some mistakes are more serious than others. In some cases, we may not be able to undo our mistakes. We may simply have to live with the consequences. (Gal. 6:7) But we take God at his word, trusting that if we are repentant, Jehovah will support us through difficult times—even when those difficulties are of our own making.—Isa. 1:18, 19; Acts 3:19. w17.01 1:10-12

Wednesday, January 24

Wisdom is with the modest ones.—Prov. 11:2.

King Saul of ancient Israel began his reign as a modest and respected man. (1 Sam. 9:1, 2, 21; 10:20-24) But soon after he became king, he carried out a series of presumptuous acts. When God’s prophet Samuel did not show up in Gilgal at the appointed time, Saul became impatient. The Philistines were preparing for battle, and the Israelites were deserting Saul. He must have thought, ‘I have to do something—and quickly.’ So he offered up a sacrifice to God, which he was not authorized to do. Jehovah was not pleased. (1 Sam. 13:5-9) When Samuel arrived in Gilgal, he rebuked Saul. Instead of accepting the correction, Saul made excuses, tried to shift the blame, and minimized what he had done. (1 Sam. 13:10-14) That started a terrible chain of events that eventually cost Saul his kingship and, more important, Jehovah’s approval. (1 Sam. 15:22, 23) Despite a promising beginning, Saul’s life ended in complete disaster.—1 Sam. 31:1-6. w17.01 3:1, 2

Oops, sorry it's late! 

My sister is very sick and our CO this week. So sorry!