JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Italy bridge collapse

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2053 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A highway bridge in the heart of Genoa collapsed on Tuesday, killing at least 20 people as it dropped dozens of vehicles, and tons of concrete and steel, onto buildings, streets and railroad tracks below, in a disaster that raised concerns about the state of Italy’s aging infrastructure.

Just before noon, the roadway fell as much as 45 meters, or about 148 feet, taking about three dozen cars and three trucks with it, said Angelo Borrelli, chief of the Civil Protection Department. The cause of the collapse was under investigation.

Here are a couple links

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/genoa-bridge-collapse/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-highway-collapse-in-genoa-traps-cars-under-rubble-today-2018-08-14/

and a couple images

genoa-croce-rossa-italiana-1.jpgimage.jpeg.25c53821c2a6775f640273c593c9fbfb.jpeg

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Reminded me of the fall of the Skyway bridge here in Florida in 1980 I believe it was. It was a stormy morning and a ship hit one of the supports bringing the bridge down and close to 40 people died. I worked with a man that had come across the bridge that same morning before its collapse.

With everything else going on in the world, this story has broken my heart.  Genoa, is my parents birth place, and all my cousins who are Italian.  I see on the Italian News, that they are pulling up injured people, but I doubt they will live long.   I think there are more people under the concrete, and some who may have drowned in the river below.  The bridge collapsed in two parts.   I just sent a message to people I know in Italy not far from the city.  They are not relatives, they are family friends. I hope I hear from them soon.  Not just my fleshly family, but in particular my spiritual ones, they mean more to me then life it's self!   All these people who died yesterday (it is night there, soon to be tomorrow.)  Not only this story, but another one in Chicago, where one of our sister's was killed during an attempted car jacking.  Oh Jehovah, please let your kingdom come, let your set day be soon!!! I can't take it anymore!  

I too will be sending a quick message to my loved ones in Northern Italy.  I don't think that they are affected, but it tugs at the heart to hear such awfully sad news like this.  In a country that has serious seismic activity, the Italians have been slack in infrastructure due to their politics and inefficiencies in economics.  And so the people suffer.

A history of collapses shows how limited man is in sustaining any sort of "normal" life in this system:

In March last year, a couple were killed when a motorway overpass collapsed on their car near Ancona on the country's Adriatic coast.

A pensioner died in October 2016 when his car was crushed by a collapsing bridge over a dual carriageway between Milan and Lecco.

That incident was blamed on bureaucratic bungling which led to a fatal delay in the bridge being closed after it was reported to be showing significant cracks.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/immense-tragedy-dozens-dead-in-italy-motorway-bridge-collapse?cx_cid=edm:newsam:2019

5 hours ago, Dertzey said:

Yeah I saw that on the news today! Very sad 😢😢 I believe it happened because there was a construction fail?

The bridge was built in 1967, but never meant for today’s use, too many vehicles. It was checked 2 years ago for maintenance...

Have you heard about the Gard bridge in France? It was built in the first century, still standing, was even used as a motorway for quite some time, not anymore now.

For more info, you can go to the site: Avignon-et-Provence.com under Monuments- sorry I don’t know how to put a link from a tablet, with my computer I do, not with the tablet. Anyway, this Pont du Gard is a marvel in architecture.

56 minutes ago, Patinage said:

The bridge was built in 1967, but never meant for today’s use, too many vehicles. It was checked 2 years ago for maintenance...

Have you heard about the Gard bridge in France? It was built in the first century, still standing, was even used as a motorway for quite some time, not anymore now.

For more info, you can go to the site: Avignon-et-Provence.com under Monuments- sorry I don’t know how to put a link from a tablet, with my computer I do, not with the tablet. Anyway, this Pont du Gard is a marvel in architecture.

The images on line show a roman aqua duck, couldn't be built back in 67.  If I can find a picture of the bridge in my father's child hood home town, I'll add it in here.  It's been standing for over 2,000 years.  There are two of these bridges still standing in the town where my dad grew up and spent his summer vacations.  Pointe Romano di Imperia, Ranzo.  I saw it on line.    And I have pictures with me standing on the bridge.  It was in use (mostly carts and donkeys) back in the early 80's, after that they stopped animals and carts from going across.  Most of the land farmers have died off and their kids do not want to be olive growers.  So a lot of hill sides with olive tress gone wild.  But still beautiful scenery.   Now below is not me, it's some other tourist, but this is the town / Borghetto d’Arroscia | this is what it is called.  And this bridge still exist today.  It's 2,000 years old, and there is another one a little further up the river.  But this one I have a picture of myself stooping down on it.  Now this is what I call real ingenuity!   My father not only grew up in this town/area, he brought my mother after he married her during the war along with my oldest brother (who am waiting to see in the resurrection and my parents).  Life was not easy for any body during WWII but at least here they had plenty of olive oil to trade.  They had to be vigilant on who they traded with due to the jealousy and spies.   My father almost got killed when German Soldiers stopped him at his father's house  with my baby brother in his arms.  A village German speaking priest who knew my grandfather and dad saved his life.   Or else, I would not be here telling you this story.   In the paradise, I want to go back to this place.  I love the mountains and the rivers, the fresh olive groves, and my mother knew the difference between good eating mushrooms and the kinds that could kill you.  Umm..getting hungry for some home made food.  Diary was sheep's  milk, no goats.  

Related image

You are right Lisa, this is quite a scenery around here. All around the Mediterranean Sea (where I live, 5mn from the beach), the panorama is quite the same: olive trees, vineyards, orchards, pure blue sky. The place is jammed with tourists from everywhere in Europe, but also from people from other regions in France. And it’s the same scenario in every country around the M.Sea, including Italy.

I think it’s not pure coincidence if the Genoa bridge collapsed at this time of year with so many people and cars and buses per square meter.