JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The five stones of David...

Good question. You are on fire right now Dilip.

Looking forward to the answer if my research doesn't show anything.

Have you had a look in the study bible? That might tell  you.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

54 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

David needed only one stone to kill Goliath but why did he pick 5 smooth stones?

In case Goliath had 4 friends?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Whether there is a scriptural point of view I do not know. Based on my experience useing a sling like Davids I know that if I was expecting a serious confrontation I would want smooth stones as they release properly and fly true. Why 5? for me? this is a serious confrontation, for David? When reaching into his pouch it would be easier, five stones would not likely hang up in a corner. David was confident in Jehovah that he would defeat Goliath, but it could have taken two or more attemps. If Goliath saw the first stone and moved aside, the second one would be on it's way before he could recover. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

A musing? (Can't find anything on jw.org or WOL so this is mere speculation) How many brothers did David have? Maybe they symbolized them? Or maybe 'five' was the usual number of stones he picked up and could carry comfortably as he was still young. One would not want to encumber themselves unnecessarily so five may have been the perfect number for David.

Not all numbers have a symbolic meaning, but it is interesting the scriptures were specific about how many - maybe this is something for a future reveal?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2samuel 21:15-   Mentions that Goliath May have had 4 brothers or relatives that David later ran into and killed later on so he may have been aware of these at the time he was facing Goliath 

In those days and that culture there was a ‘blood revenge’ phenomenon  and David May have been prepared to have to defend himself against someone else after he killed Goliath. 

Another thought was even though David trusted in Jehovah to give him the victory he didn’t know how many stones it would take; one, two or more. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

A musing? (Can't find anything on jw.org or WOL so this is mere speculation) How many brothers did David have? Maybe they symbolized them? Or maybe 'five' was the usual number of stones he picked up and could carry comfortably as he was still young. One would not want to encumber themselves unnecessarily so five may have been the perfect number for David.

Not all numbers have a symbolic meaning, but it is interesting the scriptures were specific about how many - maybe this is something for a future reveal?

Types and anti-types? :lol:

Perhaps it shows we should be prepared to give 100% even though 20% will get the job done...:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Maybe 6 stones would not fit :nope: 

Perhaps he just grabbed "a handful" and, for him, that was 5 :eek: 

Perhaps the Bible writer just wanted to record the number to make us ponder this years later :lol1: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

23 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I think there was a past topic about this, maybe the Moderators can help find it? I have a hard time finding past topics, sorry.

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/19810-1-samuel-highlights/?do=findComment&amp;comment=287370

I found this

Just now, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Thanks Richard. I thought there was a topic about this though? Maybe not, my memory is bad. :confused:

I thought there was a WT or QFR about it but I can't find it either...

I remember that scripture was used at Pioneer School to teach us modesty.

David was modest. He trusted that Jehovah would give him the victory but he didn't have so much self-confidence to think he would hit the target at the first try. So he prepared a plan B. He only took five stones because he wouldn't have time to throw more before Goliath reached him, so why carrying more weight?

3 minutes ago, carlos said:

I remember that scripture was used at Pioneer School to teach us modesty.

David was modest. He trusted that Jehovah would give him the victory but he didn't have so much self-confidence to think he would hit the target at the first try. So he prepared a plan B. He only took five stones because he wouldn't have time to throw more before Goliath reached him, so why carrying more weight?

From now on I'll only carry 5 tracts or magazines at a time...:lol:

BTW: I'm sure the other four stones are available on eBay..:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga

On 1/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, dilip kumar said:

*Puzzle:*

David needed only one stone to kill Goliath but why did he pick 5 smooth stones? emoji4.png

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

I remember the point being brought out that Goliath had brothers.  One wonders how fast David could sling stones.  

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 1/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, dilip kumar said:

*Puzzle:*

David needed only one stone to kill Goliath but why did he pick 5 smooth stones? emoji4.png

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

Perhaps there is no reason other than being prepared well.  

in the past everything had to have some special significance.

I don’t believe it had anything to do with doubt. Jehovah didn’t tell David he would kill him with one stone. We know Jehovah will act for us but We don’t always know how. Some of the battles Israel fought were long drawn out while others were short and miraculous....others were very different, like Jericho where the walls just fell down.  

So although we have strong faith we can’t always presume how (details) Jehovah will act in certain situations.

I recall a CO saying the 5 stones represents our 5 meetings.... Wt. study, public talk, TMS, service meeting and the old book study we used to have in private homes. 

I don’t think they’re saying that anymore.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

When we prepare for the ministry, we prepare for many common situations, but perhaps only one if our ‘stones’ is used. Same when the brothers go to court, for instance. They prepare really well, but perhaps only one ‘stone’ will be effective.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”