JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Baby shower?

Here is a game my girls have enjoyed when they have attended showers in the past:

As each person gets there, you give them a clothes pin and tell them what the "the word" is - something like the word "shower" or "baby" or "mother" - anything that would come up in common talk.

When someone says that word, a person who heard them say the word tells them they just said "the word" and collects their clothes pin(s). At first, you will only get one pin from a person. But, as time goes on and some have collected pins, you get ALL the pins they have if they say "the word".

At a set time, you see who has the most pins and they get some kind of goofy gift.

After that time, it is no longer off limits to use "the word".

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We measured my daughter's belly ahead of time and everybody guessed her measurement. Lots of laughs because she wasn't as big as most thought.

This is one that may not fly with every expectant mom though... Especially if brothers are invited.

My favorite game is seeing which wife can bring the most sweets home to her husband..

i love that game...🧡

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Alan said:

Stupid or what.. I had no clue what it was :)

I had to Google it!  .. Is this specifically a USA thing? Or am I still not getting out of hibernation often enough? 

:D

I had to Google it too...then I wol.jw it too. And I found an interesting article:  

What Is the Bible’s View?

‘Showering’ with Gifts?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101977250?q=baby+shower&p=par

Edited by Daniela

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

48 minutes ago, Daniela said:

:D

I had to Google it too...then I wol.jw it too. And I found an interesting article:  

What Is the Bible’s View?

‘Showering’ with Gifts?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101977250?q=baby+shower&p=par

Thanks Daniela

Wow there is a lot in that article to consider for these type of events....

Edited by Alan

Take the labels off of the baby food jars and have people guess what it is...u can do by sight but it's hilarious to do it by taste...

Decorate onesies for the baby

Each person can bring a book and wrote a message to the little person inside to encourage reading

Get a doll baby and have a race to see how fast one can diaper a baby doll

6 hours ago, michelli1223 said:

Put melted chocolate in the nappies and guess which chocolate is it? 

With Tootsie Rolls? :eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I liked this game where someone asks the baby names of various animals and the ones who guess the most names win.

Also, it was mentioned, but guessing how many something is in a jar is big thing here.

I'd like to see one that had pin the diaper on the baby. If you think actual pins are too dangerous, it can be velcro the diaper on the baby

Edited by Katty

we have baby showers in the US and they vary greatly

I often joke that an 'American sisters' baby shower is a few of her friends having tea and sandwiches and handing her diapers and clothes

while the local Spanish friends rent a hall ....get a DJ - organize some food --- and have an excuse to have a huge party......

my hall has a ton of young folks ....so we have had about 15 baby showers last 2-3 years

the sisters get together and include the younger girls ---- meanwhile the guys get together at a different house and have a night with the men and boys

just helps with association

by the way my favorite game is having like 15 baby pictures from friends in the cong/family and having a game to guess who they are now as adults

we have baby showers in the US and they vary greatly

I often joke that an 'American sisters' baby shower is a few of her friends having tea and sandwiches and handing her diapers and clothes

while the local Spanish friends rent a hall ....get a DJ - organize some food --- and have an excuse to have a huge party......

my hall has a ton of young folks ....so we have had about 15 baby showers last 2-3 years

the sisters get together and include the younger girls ---- meanwhile the guys get together at a different house and have a night with the men and boys

just helps with association

by the way my favorite game is having like 15 baby pictures from friends in the cong/family and having a game to guess who they are now as adults

Isn’t the father having a baby as well? So why separate the parties? Isn’t it a good reason for EVERYONE to get together?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Isn’t the father having a baby as well? So why separate the parties? Isn’t it a good reason for EVERYONE to get together?

Tradtionally, baby showers are for women only. It's considered a feminine/girly gathering where women talk about "women things" or "motherly" things.

Tradtionally, baby showers are for women only. It's considered a feminine/girly gathering where women talk about "women things" or "motherly" things.

I’ve been to plenty of those things. They’ve been fine mixed parties. I am overall a bit anti parties where you separate spouses as a rule. The latest one also had a number of single brothers who were friends of the couple, invited to celebrate the arrival of a new baby. And they brought some personal gifts, as well,

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

We do a few games.  Usually, you get married couples for these games.  It is best if you get couples of different age ranges.  From newlyweds to 40+ year married couples.  In hispanic culture baby showers are family affairs.

Baby food game

The husband sits on a chair and you have the wife put a baby bib on him.  Then you blindfold the wife and you have her feed her husband baby food.  Winner finishes the baby food first.   Everyone will be laughing and it will make a mess.  I don't remember if you blindfold the husband also.

Baby crawling to mom game

The other game involves the husbands crawling on the floor like babies towards the wives and then the wives feeding them from a bottle.  the first to finish the bottle of milk wins.  while crawling the husband must have all 4 limbs on the ground.  This is funny cause some are fast at crawling and some are fast at drinking bottles.  So you get a few last minutes comebacks on this game.

There is one with diapers but can't remember it.

All of these games make a mess but there will be a lot of yelling and laughing.

Edited by Gimestr