JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Special Talk 2019

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1824 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Teleprompter:

22ded16854af60c7674daf0eaf2c5117_1920x.j

The assumption being made is the speaker in the video is using a teleprompter.  That is an assumption, though.  

Typically a teleprompter would be used when the speaker does not know his lines.  Like a news broadcaster delivering the evening news.  Teleprompters are used in extemporaneous speaking like a political speech at a large rally.  It's possible a brother used to giving a public talk would not use a teleprompter even in front of a camera.

A teleprompter is used when a speaker is not to be using notes.  It's used for all of the JWB presentations.  Some brothers are better than others at their delivery using prompters - some you can barely tell, others you can see their eyes moving as they read.  :)   The brother giving this talk did not reference notes at all; he only looked down when reading from his Bible.  The pauses I was referring to were in places that wouldn't normally need such a long pause - they weren't emphatic. It felt very much like he was waiting for the next bit of text to appear.

Which is fine.  It was just very noticeable to me.  But I've done a lot of work in the past with teleprompters.  It takes practice to make it seem like you're speaking right off the cuff, as it were.

3 minutes ago, Hope said:

A teleprompter is used when a speaker is not to be using notes.  It's used for all of the JWB presentations. 

Huh, I did not know it was a requirement.  Was this something you read or were told?

Of course, we know this is not 100%, right?  Did anyone see a teleprompter in the Annual Meeting or Gilead broadcasts?

Edited by Shawnster

Just now, Shawnster said:

Huh, I did not know it was a requirement.  Was this something you read or were told?

I didn't mention any requirement.  Just that if a speaker doesn't use notes, generally a teleprompter is used for video, especially since eye contact with the camera is important.  I'm not sure any brother is required to memorize his talks - especially one broadcast to the entire planet!

We never see any Broadcast brothers with notes on the desk but they speak directly into camera... and prompters are normal for any broadcast situation - the TV news (they often have an outline to keep up with what's next but they are rarely reading from it), talk shows (late night and otherwise).

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Maybe it is editing that caused the seeming delays.  We were instructed to use an updated version of the video and to discard any copies earlier than 4/10.

There was no editing break in the video.  The brother just paused for awhile, then resumed speaking.

3 hours ago, Hope said:

I didn't mention any requirement.  Just that if a speaker doesn't use notes, generally a teleprompter is used for video, especially since eye contact with the camera is important.  I'm not sure any brother is required to memorize his talks - especially one broadcast to the entire planet!

We never see any Broadcast brothers with notes on the desk but they speak directly into camera... and prompters are normal for any broadcast situation - the TV news (they often have an outline to keep up with what's next but they are rarely reading from it), talk shows (late night and otherwise).

For some presentations the teleprompter is on front center camera. I see no indication of our brothers using the relecting glass telepropmter as President Obama used. 

If I recall correctly paper notes were used for graduation program.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 minutes ago, Old said:

For some presentations the teleprompter is on front center camera. I see no indication of our brothers using the reflecting glass teleprompter as President Obama used. 

If I recall correctly paper notes were used for graduation program.

Right, for the most part, prompters are just beneath the camera and easy enough to see from the distance most speakers and broadcasters are situated.  When speakers need prompters but they're on a vast stage, quite far from whatever camera is on them, those transparent ones are used.

Showing the value of preparation - even with prompters, it's easy to see who has their material well in mind and who doesn't.  If anyone watches live shows like Saturday Night Live or the late night shows, you can easily see when people are using prompters (formerly cue cards).  Especially SNL - half the time, the players aren't even looking at the person they're supposed to be talking to.  You can see their eyes cut to where the prompters are.  :)  I like to watch to see who has practiced/memorized and who has not.  I imagine it's challenging to do a 90 minute live sketch show with only four or five days prep!  :D 

On 4/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, jwhess said:

Br. Larson gave the US talk and he said the words about being baptized twice in a row.  Then used similar expressions about the importance of baptism several times in the following 5 minutes or so.

My father is not a witness .. At least, he supported us. and its heartbreaking then that he won't be saved.. 

He's always there to help me when Im in need..  

Im in tears right now, thinking about that.. 

17 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Of course, we know this is not 100%, right?  Did anyone see a teleprompter in the Annual Meeting or Gilead broadcasts?

Those are meetings before an audience.  It seems the prompters are used when the presentation is specifically made as a video. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

20 hours ago, JennyM said:

My father is not a witness .. At least, he supported us. and its heartbreaking then that he won't be saved.. 

He's always there to help me when Im in need..  

Im in tears right now, thinking about that.. 

Don't be sad, dear. As long as this old system is still around, your father has a chance to to be saved. Never give up hope. Pray incessantly.

Try and spend more time with him. He'll love being around his grandchild. 

Praise Jah every day for having such a loving father. 

Would you like me to send him a card and a short note? 

image.png.87c7c525a9117616047823bdfd80a86d.png

On 4/17/2019 at 8:50 AM, BLEmom said:

Those are meetings before an audience.  It seems the prompters are used when the presentation is specifically made as a video. 

It was obvious Splain has a written outline for the Memorial morning worship. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, Shawnster said:

THE SPEAKER WAS NOT SAYING BAPTISM IS A REQUIREMENT FOR SURVIVING ARMAGEDDON!  Baptism is a requirement for eternal or everlasting life.  It doesn't matter if we're baptized NOW or baptized after Armageddon.  All sinful humans will need to accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior and be baptized in order to gain everlasting life.  This is not new.  Anyone resurrected who did not reach the point of baptism will be required to be baptized before they can reach perfection.  This includes those who died in a concentration camp, died of disease, Moses, David, Abraham, Abel, everyone who was not baptized regardless of their relationship with Jehovah.  

Just to clarify, the Israelites were considered baptized when they went through the Red Sea. This is why Israelites who lived before Jesus did not need to get baptized as individuals, because they were already baptized as a Nation when they crossed the Red Sea.

1 Corinthians 10:2 "and all got baptized into Moses by means of the cloud and of the sea"

If you research the cross references for this verse, it says "That miraculous baptism by Jehovah God consigned them to Moses as their God-given leader, just as if they literally had been baptized into him."

So it appears that Moses and David, as Israelites, were already under the baptism arrangement.

This topic of "baptism" as a requirement for salvation is not a newly conceived idea.  It has been in print for years (even decades).  Here are two examples, one from 1987 and the YP2 book from 2008.

*** km 10/87 p. 8 par. 7 Help Others to Dedication and Baptism ***

7 Only those ‘marked’ for salvation will survive into Jehovah’s new system. (Ezek. 9:2-6) …this ‘marking’ for survival will be because of their dedicated relationship with Jehovah God, as symbolized by water baptism!

*** yp2 chap. 37 p. 305 Should I Get Baptized? ***

Baptism puts you in line for salvation.

True. The Bible says that baptism is an important step to gaining salvation. (1 Peter 3:21) This doesn’t mean, though, that baptism is like an insurance policy.

9 hours ago, M.J. said:

Just to clarify, the Israelites were considered baptized when they went through the Red Sea. This is why Israelites who lived before Jesus did not need to get baptized as individuals, because they were already baptized as a Nation when they crossed the Red Sea.

1 Corinthians 10:2 "and all got baptized into Moses by means of the cloud and of the sea"

If you research the cross references for this verse, it says "That miraculous baptism by Jehovah God consigned them to Moses as their God-given leader, just as if they literally had been baptized into him."

So it appears that Moses and David, as Israelites, were already under the baptism arrangement.

This is not what the Bible is saying.  It is or was impossible for the Israelites, Moses, or David to baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit according to Matthew 28:19, 20.  They died centuries before Jesus was born.  The baptism referred to at 1 Corinthians 10:2 is not referring to Christian baptism.  These people will need to exercise faith in Jesus shed blood and get baptized as a symbol of that faith.

Moses, David, and the Israelites practiced animal sacrifice for forgiveness of their sins.  This is because Jesus hadn't died for their sins yet.  

Moses, David and the Israelites were under "a" baptism arrangement.  Just like all those disciples of John were baptized by John.  They were under a baptism arrangement, too.  However,  they had to get baptized by one of Jesus followers in order to become a follower of Christ.

As an aside, David never crossed the Red Sea.  That scripture at 1 Corinthians was specifically about those ones who crossed the Red Sea.