JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Special Talk 2019

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1817 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, loveandpeace said:

Was there a picture shown in one of the examples during the talk? We had it in Spanish but my friend in the English says they did not have one. It was of a man holding on to a rope over the edge of a clif.

I'm in Spanish too, but a few of us also went to the English congregation today to hear the Special Talk. The talks were quite different. The English version did not have the rope illustration at all.

Adrian Fernandez of the US branch committee was the speaker for Spanish congregations in the US. I’m not sure if the talk in English had the illustration of the guy hanging off a cliff holding a rope that was attached to a rock. He compared the rock to the promise of eternal life, the rope as the type of life that’ll get us there and the man letting go of the rope and falling to his death as succumbing to the temptations of the world. “Hang on to the rope with everything you have” was the thing he kept repeating. Wonderful talk. I’ve heard him speak numerous times at regional conventions here and he’s a great speaker. Very natural, easy to follow and understand, has true love and enthusiasm for what he’s speaking about and it carries over to the audience. He loves to use visual aids and they work.

Edited by MM9106

5 hours ago, Shannie said:

There are ones making NEGATIVE REMARKS not really negative but concerning comments.... about the SPECIAL TALK...???

Please see below what they are saying..What are you thoughts?

"Have you all had your special talk today?   Did you notice that he said twice, whoever is not baptised will not make it to everlasting life,  how does this affect our children?

"yes i heard that, made me very down 

There's a reason that I'm no longer a member of any of these so called JW Facebook groups Shannie.... and its this. 

I don't want to read these negative thoughts and questions... I thoroughly enjoyed the talk,  and I hope you did too. 

If I had only one piece of advice for you.... ? It would be to stop reading these kind of comments, it does nothing to build you up spiritually.... it just brings you down to their level. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Shannie,

If I read this in a JW site I'd seriously have doubts it was indeed a JW site -  "The thief of the cross didn't have anytime to be baptised nor obey 10 commandments,"

Personally I don't go to any JW social media sites other than here.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Shannie,

If I read this in a JW site I'd seriously have doubts it was indeed a JW site -  "The thief of the cross didn't have anytime to be baptised nor obey 10 commandments,"

Personally I don't go to any JW social media sites other than here.

It was Facebook you know how they have the jw groups..on there

9 hours ago, anniebea said:

There's a reason that I'm no longer a member of any of these so called JW Facebook groups Shannie.... and its this. 

I don't want to read these negative thoughts and questions... I thoroughly enjoyed the talk,  and I hope you did too. 

If I had only one piece of advice for you.... ? It would be to stop reading these kind of comments, it does nothing to build you up spiritually.... it just brings you down to their level. 

Ok 

6 hours ago, Shannie said:

It was Facebook you know how they have the jw groups..on there

I know my dear but Jehovah's people don't use the word 'Cross', it's stake. It sounds pretty clear that they are posing as a witness, but not very well because they don't know our language.

Please be careful 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 4/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, campanula said:

Did your speaker also say twice: "Who is not a baptised servant of Jehovah will not get everlasting  life!"?

Ours did.... and with a deep pause in between.... 

Yes - my first thought was, "if this the new answer to those who ask if we think only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved?"  :confused:

I noticed other long pauses, too -- but not really emphatic ones.  More like, the teleprompter hadn't kept up with his speech...

I recorded it so I'll be listening to it again to review what I may have missed.

Edited by Hope

22 minutes ago, Hope said:

Yes - my first thought was, "if this the new answer to those who ask if we think only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved?"  :confused:

I wondered about this as well. 

After sitting with it for a while, I don't think anything changes as far as our response to that question. The fact is we really don't know who will make it. There very well could be people who haven't heard the truth, are mentally incapacitated ect. Being a baptized servant is not a guarantee. We still have a lot to prove. 

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Yes - my first thought was, "if this the new answer to those who ask if we think only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved?"  

2 hours ago, Saffron said:

I wondered about this as well. 

Only, that is not what the speaker said.  He said baptism is a requirement to get a firm hold of the real life. 

He did not say baptism is a requirement for surviving Armageddon. 

Those people in the Facebook comments were not paying attention.  They were not listening. 

On 4/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, Shawnster said:

This talk today was designed to motivate people who are hesitating to get baptized.  People who study for years and never make a dedication.  They come to the meetings, feel we have the Truth, yet never do anything to dedicate their lives.  These are the people that are in danger of losing their life at Armageddon.  

Agreed.  There are three groups:

(1)  Dedicated , baptized and serving faithfully.

(2)  Not interested

(3)  Those who have the head knowledge but are holding back.

The special talk was especially designed for these scattered 'sheep' that need to join the flock while they still can, "without delay" .

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Only, that is not what the speaker said.  He said baptism is a requirement to get a firm hold of the real life. 

He did not say baptism is a requirement for surviving Armageddon. 

Those people in the Facebook comments were not paying attention.  They were not listening. 

Br. Shawn, we do have a reference in the Pure Worship book.  chapter 16 paragraph 17 (second last sentence).

Teleprompter:

22ded16854af60c7674daf0eaf2c5117_1920x.j

The assumption being made is the speaker in the video is using a teleprompter.  That is an assumption, though.  

Typically a teleprompter would be used when the speaker does not know his lines.  Like a news broadcaster delivering the evening news.  Teleprompters are used in extemporaneous speaking like a political speech at a large rally.  It's possible a brother used to giving a public talk would not use a teleprompter even in front of a camera.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, campanula said:

Did your speaker also say twice: "Who is not a baptised servant of Jehovah will not get everlasting  life!"?

Ours did.... and with a deep pause in between.... 

I can't say I entirely agree with that statement unless he is speaking of those alive at Armageddon perhaps.  There were those who weren't baptized yet who died in concentration camps because they wouldn't renounce their faith in Jehovah.  Does that mean they won't get everlasting life?  Wish he had given a little more information on that particular point.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

5 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Teleprompter:

22ded16854af60c7674daf0eaf2c5117_1920x.j

The assumption being made is the speaker in the video is using a teleprompter.  That is an assumption, though.  

Typically a teleprompter would be used when the speaker does not know his lines.  Like a news broadcaster delivering the evening news.  Teleprompters are used in extemporaneous speaking like a political speech at a large rally.  It's possible a brother used to giving a public talk would not use a teleprompter even in front of a camera.

It seems to me (in watching the broadcasts) that some of the brothers use a teleprompter. Their eyes appear as if they are reading something as they are speaking.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

50 minutes ago, shali said:

I can't say I entirely agree with that statement unless he is speaking of those alive at Armageddon perhaps.  There were those who weren't baptized yet who died in concentration camps because they wouldn't renounce their faith in Jehovah.  Does that mean they won't get everlasting life?  Wish he had given a little more information on that particular point.

It is my understanding that he was speaking of those alive when GT  begins.  Many of us have  discussed this in service  also, and that seems to reflect how others in my cong understood also.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

1 minute ago, Bubbles said:

It is my understanding that he was speaking of those alive when GT  begins.  Many of us have  discussed this in service  also, and that seems to reflect how others in my cong understood also.  

He was speaking to everyone in the audience.  Baptism is necessary in order to get a firm hold of the real life.  This is what the Bible says.  

(1 Peter 3:21, 22) 21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. 22 He is at God’s right hand, for he went to heaven, and angels and authorities and powers were made subject to him.

*** w06 4/1 p. 30 par. 20 Meeting the Requirements for Christian Baptism ***
20 Furthermore, Jesus indicated that those who follow him “will inherit everlasting life.” Yes, dedication and baptism offer the prospect of gaining “a firm hold on the real life”—everlasting life in God’s new world. (1 Timothy 6:19) What better foundation for the future could we possibly build for ourselves and for our families? This blessed prospect will enable us to “walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”—Micah 4:5.

Friends, let's not think this was new light.  Notice that the above Watchtower was from 2006.  Notice that Peter wrote those words nearly 2,000 years ago.

THE SPEAKER WAS NOT SAYING BAPTISM IS A REQUIREMENT FOR SURVIVING ARMAGEDDON!  Baptism is a requirement for eternal or everlasting life.  It doesn't matter if we're baptized NOW or baptized after Armageddon.  All sinful humans will need to accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior and be baptized in order to gain everlasting life.  This is not new.  Anyone resurrected who did not reach the point of baptism will be required to be baptized before they can reach perfection.  This includes those who died in a concentration camp, died of disease, Moses, David, Abraham, Abel, everyone who was not baptized regardless of their relationship with Jehovah.  

We seem to be thinking that the real life is surviving Armageddon.  It is not.  The real life is when we reach perfection.  

People who are old enough to make a dedication and have not done so are at risk of being found unworthy by Jehovah.  If there is no good reason to delay baptism, then they are not delaying for a valid reason.  Their delay may reveal their heart attitude that they do not want to serve Jehovah.  

What prevents them from getting baptized?

But let's not think something is changing or that this will take on a greater urgency at the Great Tribulation or that we're going to start mass baptisms so that people will survive Armageddon.  That's not what the talk was bringing out.  

Hi all well as to some may know I used to look up those jw site's on FB and it really dragged me down spiritually I managed to get out from there.there's also a site on fb called Jehovah 's witness end time prophecies it's controlled by a un bapzied sister who I think is a publisher there are good bros and sister's on there but she thinks she's misses know it all as I used to talk to her she send me bible verses from Daniel and eskiel telling me what she thinks they mean also talking bout the end but she's not even bapzied she even sent me apostate stuff saying what they get up to I had to cut her off.

13 minutes ago, halfspanishlee said:

Hi all well as to some may know I used to look up those jw site's on FB and it really dragged me down spiritually I managed to get out from there.there's also a site on fb called Jehovah 's witness end time prophecies it's controlled by a un bapzied sister who I think is a publisher there are good bros and sister's on there but she thinks she's misses know it all as I used to talk to her she send me bible verses from Daniel and eskiel telling me what she thinks they mean also talking bout the end but she's not even bapzied she even sent me apostate stuff saying what they get up to I had to cut her off.

Obviously it's not her lack of baptism, nor her gender, that is the negative factor.  LOL.  Yes, we all must filter for ourselves which websites and social media groups are not a good fit for us.  Thank you, Lee, for allowing our site here to meet your approval.  We appreciate your contributions.

I belong to only one Facebook Witness group and that's only because the owner is a family friend.  Most of the time I just skim and scroll the comments there.  To each their own.

I have been doing a bit of reading on the topic of baptism and ran across this, which is pretty clear. 

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-march-2018/baptism-requirement-for-christians/#?insight[search_id]=da601ce7-e698-47fe-bded-afc61256e3ea&insight[search_result_index]=0

"4 Just as the ark amounted to evidence of Noah’s faith, baptism before onlookers provides visible evidence. What does it show? That a Christian disciple has dedicated himself to Jehovah on the basis of faith in the resurrected Christ. Like Noah, dedicated disciples obediently carry on in the work that God has assigned them to do. Just as Noah was preserved through the Flood, loyal baptized ones will be preserved when the present wicked world meets its end. (Mark 13:10; Rev. 7:9, 10) This makes dedication and baptism very important. A person who needlessly delays getting baptized endangers his prospects for everlasting life."

I have noticed that brothers emphasize this in videos and publications more often now by using phrases like baptized Christians or baptized one and so on. I do sometimes feel kind of excluded and as if many of the things do not apply to me. 

Technically, can you become or be called a Christian without being baptized? Are terms like a JW and a Christian mutually exclusive or do they mean the same thing 100 per cent? 

The Pure Worship book (excerpt shown by Sr. Svetlana above) states in the last line that to survive the end of this world, you have to "Enter the GT" as a "pure worshipper".  It lists the five things (six if you separate dedication and baptism) required to be a "pure worshipper".  The sentence in not ambiguous  or vague or unclear.

There are only two sides here at the end.  Those with Jesus and his father (the sheep) and those goats on his left.  What was the difference?  They must identify themselves as God's worshippers and  "do good to Christ's brothers"? 

It is too late to "do good to Christ's brothers" just an hour before Armageddon.  The brothers will be gone to heaven.

29 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The Pure Worship book (excerpt shown by Sr. Svetlana above) states in the last line that to survive the end of this world, you have to "Enter the GT" as a "pure worshipper".  It lists the five things (six if you separate dedication and baptism) required to be a "pure worshipper".  The sentence in not ambiguous  or vague or unclear.

There are only two sides here at the end.  Those with Jesus and his father (the sheep) and those goats on his left.  What was the difference?  They must identify themselves as God's worshippers and  "do good to Christ's brothers"? 

It is too late to "do good to Christ's brothers" just an hour before Armageddon.  The brothers will be gone to heaven.

At the same time, this should not be taken to mean that infants or those incapable of making an informed decision will be destroyed.  That's not Jehovah's will.  That paragraph and the talk we had are for those who are capable of making an informed decision.  Age of accountability.