JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Me!!

Poly Ester

I thought that it would be nice to nice a moment to let everyone know that if we do enjoy making things... what are they? 

Are you a knitter,  sewist, crochet etc.. what do you enjoy most?

I learnt to knit when I was about age 6, my grandmother taught me to make cotton dish cloths...I didn't attempt anything again until I was 20 when I almost made a cardigan but didn't finish it 🤣  I didn't pick up my needles again until about 3 years ago... and now I confess that I have an addiction!

I also enjoy spinning,  I learnt about 30 years ago and I would love to weave...

Sewing is something else that brings me joy, and I'm aiming for a made by me wardrobe... that may take a long while though 😋

I also have my own yarn business,  as a indie dyer...I dye yarn into pretty colours and sell online. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

• 2 months later...

My mum always made all our clothes and knitted (I think more out of necessity than choice) she tried to teach me to knit as s child, but I couldn't get it. I eventually learnt from a book when I was nearly 30.

I can now crochet a bit too, I'm very much a newbie though.

I really want to sew. My husband bought me a sewing machine a few years ago and I've still not really got round to making anything. I like the idea of upcycling and reusing. I fell in love with the print on some curtains in the charity shop this week, so I've brought them with the intention of making a skirt it dress. Watch this space! 😀

• 4 months later...

Necessity is the mother of invention. I learned to sew, crochet,  hand knit, needlework , hot glue (you name it) because I was 17 when I had my first child and 28 when I had my 5th. We were poor. I tried to teach all my children only 1 followed. I love creating things. It gives me a pick up to make something I need. I love the challenge. I think my best accomplishment was crocheting my daughter a coat and hat and lining them because we couldn't afford a winter coat for her. It was beautiful and I know Jehovah helped me. I recently made a dress no pattern, just to see what that would be like. I wore it and plan to again. This picture is ME!Screenshot_20190905-123811_Pinterest.thumb.jpg.beb634160a9bf2e86f6a5809d05cb76c.jpg

I wanted to do many things but never got the chance to do any of it. Due to circumstances. 

I sit a lot and want to learn how to sew mostly, knit, scrapbooking and crafts to name a few.  My most passionate thing to do is deliver babies!❣ Oh, we not talking about that stuff, okay, sorry I got sidetracked. 🙋🏾‍♀️

I have a cheap sewing machine still in the box because of no place to set it up or learn anything about using it. I have cheap craft thingies that don't amount to nothing except for entertaining my grandbabies. I don't know how to knit yet either but will learn even if it takes the new world to do so with all things like  gardening, building homes etc. 

I'd love a personal teacher and not a video or book.  However, while I wait to learn I'd love to see all of you all's work too❣👍🏼

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

I can use a sewing machine for crafts but wish i knew how to sew clothes. I can basic crochet but can’t read a pattern. I cross stitch, counted only, but want to do hardanger and needlepoint. I wish i could build things, my house needs a remodel but no budget. I want to study with a pioneer, i feel ive not retained knowledge.

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, Wayne said:

I've been sketching and watercoloring for a few years. And keep some on Instagram. Here's the link...

http://www.instagram.com/olalabama/

Wow, I have checked Instagram and they are so beautiful! 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 2/20/2019 at 2:31 PM, Anniebea said:

I thought that it would be nice to nice a moment to let everyone know that if we do enjoy making things... what are they? 

Are you a knitter,  sewist, crochet etc.. what do you enjoy most?

I learnt to knit when I was about age 6, my grandmother taught me to make cotton dish cloths...I didn't attempt anything again until I was 20 when I almost made a cardigan but didn't finish it 🤣  I didn't pick up my needles again until about 3 years ago... and now I confess that I have an addiction!

I also enjoy spinning,  I learnt about 30 years ago and I would love to weave...

Sewing is something else that brings me joy, and I'm aiming for a made by me wardrobe... that may take a long while though 😋

I also have my own yarn business,  as a indie dyer...I dye yarn into pretty colours and sell online. 

And, my dear sister you draw, beautifully. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love to sew both clothes and bags and crochet, I also used to  draw and paint....stopped a while back...hope to get back into that soon 🙂 

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

My daughters are sewing/making bags and even have an Etsy store.

I turn wood and plan to start a YT channel

I have also made many things including cabinets, tools, jigs and things I use or need.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I knitted many things; sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves and slippers. Crocheted many of these same things along with many afghans, for myself, each of my children, and then for each new baby that came into the family. I did a lot of embroidery, cross stitch, etc. and sewed clothes for my children and myself, then furniture slipcovers, curtains, drapes; most done on a treadle machine. Loved using it. Then I got into making braided rugs. I bought old wool coats from the Goodwill, removed the buttons, dyed them the colors I wanted, then cut them into strips and braided them. I also was into drawing. Now 4 of my children are extremely talented artists, and a granddaughter who does it on commission. I knocked down walls, laid linoleum, painted walls and furniture, refinished many antiques, and wallpapered. Always was interested in antiques and home decorating.

In my older years I became very interested in making herbal tinctures, salves, oils.

Still enjoy home decorating and herbs.  Don't do any of the other things anymore.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I am assuming you are speaking of crafts that would not include building houses, painting pictures, or writing poetry. 

I plan to build a house and would not reject help from others, as I would also help them if they desired it.  I am going to build solar heat collectors to heat my house in the winter and (through solar-powered absorption refrigeration) will also cool my house in the summer.  (It can also supply my hot water needs for washing and showering and a refrigeration unit to store food.)  That would take away at least 75% of my electrical needs.  Solar cells or windmills would provide the rest of my electrical needs.  For short trips, I would want a pedal-powered vehicle (bicycle, tricycle, quadricycle) and for longer trips, I would want a solar-powered electric vehicle, or a hydrogen fuel cell-powered electric vehicle.

I mention this here because I would like to be able to build all of this myself.  That is what I like to do.  I built a few houses when I was younger and hope to do it in the future.  I do write some poetry, but not a lot.  

• 4 months later...

Screenshot_20190905-123811_Pinterest.thumb.jpg.beb634160a9bf2e86f6a5809d05cb76c.jpg

This really makes me laugh! I would so do this! 🤣

But seriously, I love sewing the most - just wish I had more space, and more time to do it! I sew clothing, things for the home, bags, and whatever else may be needed, or at least give it a try! I can knit & crochet, but only do so when necessary. I like needlepoint work - cross stitch, embroidery, crewel... and a few other types. In the past I did some painting, as art on canvas (not so much walls & furniture & such) and really enjoyed it, but just don't have the space or resources to do that now. 

Someone mentioned poetry... while not so much in the arts & crafts in many people's opinions I find writing to be a very creative process. I love writing too! Poetry, short stories, longer writings (working on a book) and one could make a case for writing going a bit more 'artsy or crafty' with the addition of illustrations or some sort of graphic work putting some of those words into visual renditions. :)

I need to make time to explore this forum further! It would be awesome to meet more creative types! 

• 2 weeks later...

I love knitting, crocheting, painting (watercolours).

Sometimes I share it on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/diy_tanya?igshid=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==

Right now I'm making Bible bookmarks and giving them away at the meeting.

On the back I write the two questions from the last watchtower study article:

How does this account show that Jehovah loves me? What reasons does it give me to love Jehovah?’

82CFEAE8-A4B9-4DBD-9D60-EE400704443A.jpeg

56698620-0909-4B6A-8D5C-D45A8D79CB2C.jpeg

3B758F05-D0F6-48DF-912C-E899C88A8681.jpeg

0B4A42FD-2478-4425-8057-6C5FF23833E8.jpeg