JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Loss of Exemption From Military Service in Finland

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1875 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Why rule against things the EU of Human Rights has already made clear to other nations?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

4 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Why rule against things the EU of Human Rights has already made clear to other nations?

Well, to be honest this decision has some logic. Military service is compulsory in Finland but people who are conscience objectors are allowed to perform an alternative civilian service. But for some reason, Jehovah's Witnesses were exempt from doing both. The law didn't say they were exempt, but in practice officials allowed our brothers to simply delay their conscription indefinitely, while non-Witnesses in the same situation went to jail.

The judge decided that practice is discriminatory, and I think he is right. People shouldn't have different rights depending on their religion. It's not like our brothers now will go to jail for refusing to do a military service. They will just have to serve a civilian service as everybody else in Finland. :)

22 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I’m not sure If im right here, but I believe small countries are more prone to being invaded ...

you mean Russia? they were at war during WW2. but it is very unlikely that Russia would want to expand their empire and re-invade Finland.

unless they are interested for triggering World War 3. Since Finland is part of the Nato.

2 hours ago, tuntun said:

you mean Russia? they were at war during WW2. but it is very unlikely that Russia would want to expand their empire and re-invade Finland.

unless they are interested for triggering World War 3. Since Finland is part of the Nato.

I meant just in general, here’s a quote from Finnish Defence Forces website https://puolustusvoimat.fi/en/conscription ,also Finland is not part of Nato, but is part of “Partnership of Peace” which includes Russia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

Conscription - a Finnish choice

General conscription guarantees Finland's military security. All Finnish men between the ages of 18 and 60 are liable for military service. Women can apply for voluntary military service. All men must either do military service or non-military service.

Why conscription?

As Finland is not a member of any military alliance, it is prepared to defend its territory relying on its own resources. General conscription generates enough resources for the Army, Navy and Air Force to act effectively in times of war and crises.

Conscription is a cost-effective way of generating a large and capable reserve. Our reservists possess skills acquired through military service and life in general that can be used to defend the country.

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

I meant just in general, ..

Conscription is a cost-effective way of generating a large and capable reserve. Our reservists possess skills acquired through military service and life in general that can be used to defend the country.

then why do they introduced conscription if they 're not facing any specific serious threat at present?

it must be Russia, otherwise they wouldn't do that

the Finn introduce the conscription knowing if they joining NATO, that would offend Russia a lot. they fear for some military invasion same with happen with Ukraine.

but i reckon conscription wouldn't make any different against invader is as big as Russia. even with German on their side they still lost their war at ww2.

Edited by tuntun

then why do they introduced conscription if they 're not facing any specific serious threat at present?
it must be Russia, otherwise they wouldn't do that

the Finn introduce the conscription knowing if they joining NATO, that would offend Russia a lot. they fear for some military invasion same with happen with Ukraine.
but i reckon conscription wouldn't make any different against invader is as big as Russia. even with German on their side they still lost their war at ww2.

Finland is a fairly new nation. Not very long ago they were serving under the Russian tsar, and before that they were a part of Sweden. They fought a difficult war to get rid of the Russian yoke. But being a small nation, they understand that they are always under threat of being invaded. They have a long coastal line to the west that is very attractive to Putin.

Even Swedish authorities view a Russian invasion of Sweden or part thereof as a very real threat.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On the positive side...conscription forces all young brothers to take a firm stand on the question of their faith at a yooung age.  In countries without this pressure (like the one I live in) we have 24 year old brothers still trying to come to grips with matters of faith, baptism and so on.  When the American draft was in effect (back in the 1960s and 1970s) I had to make a determined stand in front of others and defend my faith and position in front of a Draft Board.  You weren't allowed a defense lawyer to do the talking for you.

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

On the positive side...conscription forces all young brothers to take a firm stand on the question of their faith at a yooung age...

yes, but that will also make their life become more difficult

were expelled from their school or lost their jobs

8 hours ago, tuntun said:

yes, but that will also make their life become more difficult

were expelled from their school or lost their jobs

In their country, everybody has to do it.  So the brothers are not in a worse position as to employment or schooling than anyone else.