JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone Watch Anime?

Okay gotcha. I have heard of that - where people believe humans can stop sickness or dying via becoming part robotic. I have always liked cyborgs, but I definitely do NOT see that saving mankind. That amazes me that some would actually think that could be a permanent solution, wow...I wonder what they're gonna do after the parts rust lol Even people now with "bionic" or fake limbs have issues with them... I guess this system is making people desperate and common sense is going out the window...  🤣

I love most of the songs on Big Hero 6. ^_^ That's actually a song I need to get!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Okay so Personally Ive been checking out some shows and though I wouldnt recommend the hero academi tv series unless you have a movie filter due to cursing/some unnecessary crude humor (they have those for online like netflix and youtube but I cant find one for funimation, they remove cursing/some violence/sexual themes etc.) i like some of the characters and if they release the movie then i will try it with my filter.   I still havent checked out The Bungou Stray Dogs, Black Butler was a definite no-no! (And I want to read the Chii! Cat series lol)

I am going to check out some anime/mangaI recently discovered :

* My roommate is a cat (with that title it sounds like it should be wrote about me XD)

* Cells at work 

* Alice in the land of hearts (a manga I was told about it and want to research)

* The Promised Neverland 

Oh and I probably need to rewatch the last season of Miraculous. It’s a French cartoon but I still like it. 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

• 1 month later...

I liked a few animes growing up until I realized how bad a lot of them were... Even the clean ones have these weird sexualization of young school girls and a few female characters in general elements in it. I can only say I like a few now like Azumanga Daioh (I even read the full manga) and even that has slight elements of that in it... So strange, I'm curious to know why hints of perversion is apart of the mainstream worldly Japanese culture. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:30 AM, Vinnie said:

I guess I'm old school still, all this talk about anime made me go back and watch  1986 Laputa Castle in the Sky.....what can I say, it's cute.

Same here.  I'm working my way through Robotech for the umpteenth time.  

I need to watch an English dubbed copy of the new Mysterious Cities of Gold sequel that came out a few years ago.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, ChocoBro said:

100% on Rotten Tomatoes? How come I never heard of this?

I dunno.  It has a long and sort of controversial history.  

The Americanized version of Robotech is the assimilation of 3 separate and unrelated Japanese animated programs with the similar themes of human controlled mechanized aircraft (or tanks) that transform into giant robots.  The assimilated shows were combined into one large over-arching story line that spanned 3 generations of Earth humans fighting against alien invaders.  It's by far my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Awe now i feel old 😂 i remember watching robotech on toonami as a pre-teen/young teen. I liked Max stirling off the first seties and the alien boy off the other series lol they were my two favorite characters. 

Edited by cricket246

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Watched my 1st anime movie 'Your Lie in April'. Started impressively but I don't think it would appeal to older folks like me. 

Visual characteristics  Distinct facial expressions. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons. Larger eyes and smaller mouths make for a cuter style.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Anime_vs_Cartoon

Strange for a Japanese creation but the characters have such unEast Asian features. Alright at least the mouths are small.

6 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Started impressively but I don't think it would appeal to older folks like me.

I understand how you would think that way. When my grandmother (and my mother, and my uncle, ...) saw the drawings, they got quite surprised... Even though we are geographically closer to the origin of such style. Haha. 😅

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I got 6 Blu ray Makoto Shinkai collection. 

I will start with "Your Name" 

This will be my first anime adventure :whistling:

I liked Your Name. a lot. The art direction is really well done and almost every scene in the movie are very beautiful. It certainly benefits from a high resolution release i.e. a Blu-Ray version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:40 AM, Shawnster said:

Same here.  I'm working my way through Robotech for the umpteenth time.  

I remember watching that as a kid. It was usually on about just after Transformers (the original series).

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, cricket246 said:

I have been looking into some Anime titles and a few stand out to me, but I was wondering if anyone had perhaps watched these series? (I also know there are different versions of Japanese shows - as some are edited and made into more family friendly content to pass the censors in the usa - those are the versions I am looking for.) 

* My Hero Academia (appears to be a super hero teens show)

* Attack on Titan         (futuristic and thriller maybe, not really sure)

* Sword Chronicles Online   (looks to be Roleplay based)

* Bungou Stray Dog        (detectives type show)

* Lavender       (Looks to be about the life of a young violinist)

They all appear to be tv-pg to tv-14 in age rating and I was wanting to know if anyone here watches these or has watched them? I am gonna do my own research but any added info would still be nice. ^_^

I would stay away from Attack on Titan. Its ridiculously grousome. My Hero Acadameia is good though, entertaining, good characters and such. I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z, and I continued with Dragon Ball Super. DBZ is always my go to anime. If you're looking for shows that aren't anime, but still good. Voltron Legendary Defender on Netflix is a good one