JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

October 2019 Study Edition

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1722 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Jack, what kind of "special" message would you like to see distributed in this tract?

We had that 2 month campaign with the "All Red" ...Is Satan Real?...magazine, not too long ago.

It’s not that I actually want to see something like that done. I don’t want anything else to have to happen before the cry of peace and security :lol: I just wondered if we would have a tract that explains what the “air” spoken about is and that satan is the one influencing people’s attitudes and that they will have to suffer the consequences of their actions if they continue to allow themselves to be motivated by this air.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:29 AM, Thesauron said:

Not even if you think the person might become interested later or will be come interested if he/she just visits our website. 

There was a time we would retreat from a door mumbling under our breath "That one's a goat".  We don't do that now because that's a judgment and we aren't the judge.

What I mean is that unless they have made it very, very clear that they know who we are and are NOT INTERESTED, why wouldn't we err on the side of Hope , offer a card and as Bro. Lett put it "We hope you have a good day" ?

There was a time we would retreat from a door mumbling under our breath "That one's a goat".  We don't do that now because that's a judgment and we aren't the judge.

What I mean is that unless they have made it very, very clear that they know who we are and are NOT INTERESTED, why wouldn't we err on the side of Hope , offer a card and as Bro. Lett put it "We hope you have a good day" ?

We will always hope that they change their minds, but we will not give them any litterateur, not even a card. The cards are for when we do find some interest, and we wish to direct them to our website. If there is no interest, we simply go to the next person. We, as publishers, are trained to find interest. That’s our job. We do it by means of questions, and by paying attention to their reaction. We do not judge them worthy or not worthy of eternal life by doing this. When/if they change, the angels will step in. We do, however, wish them a good day, and we are always nice to them.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

We, as publishers, are trained to find interest.

I have to say we need to focus on this aspect. By that I mean our training.

It isn't just about finding interest, it is also about generating interest.

We need to penetrate the consciousness of the people we speak to with the message we preach. And that is about establishing a personal connection with people, quickly discerning a need they have, using an appropriate scriptural point to demonstrate how their need can be met, leaving on good terms with a door open for a further conversation.

Now that takes skill. And regardless of personal ability, skill needs to be acquired and enhanced. And that takes training by skilled instructors and above all,  practice. Then we are giving Jehovah something to bless. We have a message supplied by him, we have application supplied by him, we have his assistance in guiding us to potentially receptive ones, and also guiding them to us, we have his assistance in opening hearts, we have his spirit to make things grow once the seed is planted. but we do need to recognise that we have a part to play. Jehovah has chosen us rather than the stones to cry out the good news of the kingdom. We can reason which stones cannot. And he has provided excellent training and counsel on how to do the job effectively in the example of Jesus, and in the support we get in the modern day application of his methods. We just have to apply them.

And we do not "leave" literature, we "offer" it. The other person can decide whether they wish to take it or not, even  a piece of literature as small as a contact card. This is an entirely optional part of the process. By that I mean first, WE have the option to offer literature, and that is going to depend a lot on how we personally discharge our duty to cultivate interest, as well as the response of the other person. And then the other person has the option to accept or reject. And that is to accept or reject literature. I have calls on person who display interest, but do not want literature. Literature acceptance is not the only indicator of interest.

One experience I had not long ago illustrates the point I am trying to emphasise.

I called accidentally on an address listed as a do not call. I realised my mistake as the door opened. I apologised to the woman. mentioning I had made a mistake in calling as the address had been clearly noted on the territory assignment. She was fine and said "don't worry about that. I do not mind people discussing the Bible at all, I am the warden of the local church actually so I do have an interest in these things". I was surprised and asked "Oh, how did you get on to our list then?" She said "It was two of your women who called last time. We didn't see eye to eye on something and they seemed to be quite put out by the fact I didn't agree with what they said so one of them said "shall we put you on our do not call list?" so I said, "if that means you won't come back again, then please do". So they must have done that. Actually, I don't mind talking about the Bible, but not in an argumentative way like that".

I was pretty astounded by that really but I asked "so you are OK if people call occasionally? She said "Of course I am, but do not send people round to be rude and tell me I'm wrong just because I don't agree with them". Well! She now has a regular return vist from another sister who lives nearby.

45 minutes ago, Eoin said:

And we do not "leave" literature, we "offer" it. The other person can decide whether they wish to take it or not, even  a piece of literature as small as a contact card. This is an entirely optional part of the process. By that I mean first, WE have the option to offer literature, and that is going to depend a lot on how we personally discharge our duty to cultivate interest, as well as the response of the other person. And then the other person has the option to accept or reject. And that is to accept or reject literature. I have calls on person who display interest, but do not want literature. Literature acceptance is not the only indicator of interest.

Some people just like to read some of our publications, and we used to be happy to feed them with magazines and whatnot. This we do not do any longer. We do offer literature when we find some traces of interest, but we don’t have to. We do not offer literature where there is no interest. Our goal is not to hand out literature to people, which is why it has become a lot less important over the last few years.

We do need to plant an interest, which we do with our biblical discussions with people. If we, after a while, notice that even that does not lead to much growth, we quit that too and move on.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, trottigy said:

Got it. I loved the one we did over 10 years ago about False Religion - as noted above. We could reprint that same tract and do it again! That would be awesome - especially in Russia!

I thought about that tract about 2 days ago. We did this about 13 years ago, and look how bad religion gone since. The waters has dried up, even Muslims are feeling it too. Have to wait and see what is going to happen in Mecca next month. 

I'm assuming the next hard message will most likely be the Judgement Message. But who knows? Ever since that strong campaign we did 13 years ago, the world had tanked

40 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

We do need to plant an interest, which we do with our biblical discussions with people. If we, after a while, notice that even that does not lead to much growth, we quit that too and move on.

maybe because the organization is more focus on helping brothers who are victim of disasters now than distributing wasted magazines.. 

Sad to say a lot of magazines have been distributed already and few are responding. 

Imagine 8 million over billions .

1 hour ago, Eoin said:

I was pretty astounded by that really but I asked "so you are OK if people call occasionally? She said "Of course I am, but do not send people round to be rude and tell me I'm wrong just because I don't agree with them". Well! She now has a regular return vist from another sister who lives nearby.

Brother Eoin,

Thank you for sharing this! 

12 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Eric, I was looking for something else and I found this picture of Jesus.  He has a cape also.  It was 2017 I think.

This one does not have a cape.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202018289

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

maybe because the organization is more focus on helping brothers who are victim of disasters now than distributing wasted magazines.. 
Sad to say a lot of magazines have been distributed already and few are responding. 

Imagine 8 million over billions .

Our key mission in our ministry is still to follow the command Jesus gave in Mt 28:18, 19.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, halfspanishlee said:

Hi i finally went to tlmy meeting on Thursday have been regearly now and also got a part time job but I still get lonely though not many to social  with. 

I live isolated. Rural. I get almost no company. Up the road, and to our house. However, I am not isolated, by any means. I make sure that I am on the hall cleaning list, and the hospitality list, and I meet with the friends regularly, for service. And, then there are the meetings...

My neighbors, up the hill, are associated with the congregation, don’t come to meetings, pretty much at all, and, complain, “no one comes to see them”. 

They live about two miles up our road. And, my husband had to go up that road, and told me that my car would not make it. (He maintains our road) 

My point, do what you can to get in the center of what is going on in your congregation. It takes effort, but, it is well worth it. 

(Plus this site has made a wonderful difference in my life. Literally.)

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 7/3/2019 at 11:50 PM, Tbs77 said:

My CO said we're only looking for those that are rightly disposed. Don't even leave a contact card if you say I'll come back and they say "that's OK" ... Don't leave anything.

Our CO visit just ended, we were told to leave two tracts in each NH, one in Irish and the second in English to break down prejudice and show the message is important. Also if we're leaving a tract to offer it in Irish or English. So we're still leaving literature, but if they're not interested in our presentation the Society has always told us not to waste literature.

Our CO visit just ended, we were told to leave two tracts in each NH, one in Irish and the second in English to break down prejudice and show the message is important. Also if we're leaving a tract to offer it in Irish or English. So we're still leaving literature, but if they're not interested in our presentation the Society has always told us not to waste literature.

We are still leaving literature with people. As a general rule, we don’t leave it indiscriminately at people’s homes. Generally, we might leave something where we find some interest.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I have CO this week...Will let you know what instructions we get regarding leaving literature as soon as I can because then I have international convention following week in the heat !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I have CO this week...Will let you know what instructions we get regarding leaving literature as soon as I can because then I have international convention following week in the heat !

CO reiterated not leaving literature at not at homes or the uninterested. Highlights the amount of money we're saving organization...

59 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

CO reiterated not leaving literature at not at homes or the uninterested. Highlights the amount of money we're saving organization... emoji6.png

We would not leave literature for those who are uninterested, but the publishers still may choose to leave literature for those who are interested. That seems like what Brother Johan was suggesting. Check the August 2019 announcements.